Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Would you wear clothing with the British flag on it?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

I associate the UF with fundamentalist loyalism, rightly or wrongly, which is the antithesis of what it is to be an open minded Irish person (which I like to think of myself as being) so I wouldn't feel comfortable wearing one.

Having said that ^^ if I saw some girl/guy getting hassle for having one on a t-shirt, where I live, I'd step in and try to protect them from muppetry.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,369 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

DylanII wrote: »
    I would wear it.

Im a very Irish person. I just couldn't give a f about where northern Ireland ends up. I have no love or hate for the british. The flag means nothing to me. As far as I can see its just part of modern fashion.

I personally think the british flag looks pretty cool - it certainly looks better than the Irish flag.

Im surprised that this got a thread of its own - never mind 15 pages of it. I really didn't think Irish people would have an issue with this. I would say the only people who have an issue would be the really old (which I understand) and the typical little scumbag type person.

Just to clarify, who are you referring to as scumbags, is it people who won't wear the British flag on their clothing or people who have a problem with others doing it?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭uch

Depends on the context really

21/25

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

. . . I'm sure you can understand why it's often assumed that people wearing Union Jacks are meaning to make more than just a fashion statement.

Yes of course I guess some might do so, specially if its so Big and obviously making a political statement!

But what I am talking about are the designer clothes that you might buy in Dublin, the labels on the boots, the Union jack
    negative prints/greyed out flag prints, famous Rock band T-shirt prints with the British flag as part of the design, etc . . .

My Karrimor boots have a British flag (B&W variation of) on the label.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

LordSutch wrote: »

My Karrimor boots have a British flag (B&W variation of) on the label.

I thought you were asleep in your Union Jack duvet? Good night :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

I am now, goodnight Sir :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭DylanII

Just to clarify, who are you referring to as scumbags, is it people who won't wear the British flag on their clothing or people who have a problem with others doing it?

Neither really but more so those who have an issue with others wearing it - When I say scumbag Im just talking about your average scumbag who wear old tracksuits, airmax and drink dutch gold in their local field before going to break some windows.

I wouldn't necessarily refer to someone as a scumbag just because they have an issue with someone else wearing it. I think everyone has a right to feel how ever they want about the flag (or anything else) they also have the right not to like other people wearing it - I would even have an issue with them telling the person wearing the flag that they really dont like it as long as its not abusive.

Also sorry if Im not making much sense, Im really really tired.

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭shleedance

It's just a stupid flag in my book, so I would not wear it... or any clothes with flags on it. I hold no allegiance to any country so I've little interest in the petty arguments that revolve around them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭Ruudi_Mentari

The UK flag, as style?!

don't fcuking try and tell me that thing's comfortable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 arbitrary constant

When I was a teenager I used to have a pair of runners from some typical sports label (Reebok I think) that had a tiny little Union Jack on them. You wouldn't notice it unless you stared at my feet intently for a good long while, which no-one ever did thankfully, so no-one was any the wiser. I wouldn't go wearing a Geri Halliwell style Union Jack dress or anything (mostly 'cause I'm a guy and not into cross-dressing!) but if the flag is very small and not immediately visible then I don't see the problem with it.

And even if the flag was blatantly visible for all the world to see, I don't think I'd care too much. I personally wouldn't wear anything with a very obvious Union Jack flag showing on it but I also wouldn't judge anyone who did.
    bluewolf wrote: »
    Wouldn't wear clothes with any flags on them
    Cienciano wrote: »
    No. But I wouldn't wear clothes with any flag on it.

I was obsessed with flags when I was a kid; I even had a poster with all the flags of the world on my bedroom wall until I was about 12.* :o And ever since seeing the first series of Skins, and seeing the character Chris wearing a jacket with lots of flags on it I've always wanted a jacket/t-shirt/any item of clothing with ALL the flags of the world on it!

*I then went through the whole "I'm too cool for this" phase....now I wish I had that poster back 'cause it was AWESOME!! :o

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 390 ✭✭Rubeter

There is a reason that practically every human society on the planet has used flags and emblems for thousands of years and that is the weight of emotion that they can create, this is an inherently human thing and its effect cannot be just brushed aside.
    In all societies where there has been conflict, the sight of one of the emblems of either of the belligerents will elicit an emotional response, usually one of pride or security for the "owner" and one of mistrust, discomfort or even anger from the "opposer". This holds true all across the planet with the level of the emotional response depending on factors such as how recent the conflict was, the consequences of that conflict or each individuals feelings towards the conflict.
    There has been a history of conflict between Ireland and Britain so there will be an emotional response to the sight of emblems/flags of or connected to either country/side, with the level and nature of the response depending on each individual. To just ignore or try to brush off the emotional effects of flags/symbols saying "it's just fashion" is just going against the grain of a very deeply held subconscious emotional response by the species Homo-Sapiens.

Regarding the Union Flag, in Britain I don't even notice it, in the republic I would give a second glance, and in the north would often feel slightly uncomfortable depending on the situation.
    I wouldn't wear one, but then I wouldn't feel right wearing any symbol of a group to which I don't belong. Personally I feel flags and symbols are much more than just coloured bits of cloth and fancy patters.
    Don't forget that even a tiny little tag is the same size as a small lapel badge that is worn with pride and meant to be noticed.

• Registered Users Posts: 649 ✭✭✭crusher000

I wouldn't do it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭gobnaitolunacy

I wouldn't wear anything with any flag on it.

What I find really stupid is people wrapping themselves in a tri colour (or any flag for that matter) at a match or something. Making a little cape or windcheater out of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭9959

Rubeter wrote: »
    ?..... To just ignore or try to brush off the emotional effects of flags/symbols saying "it's just fashion" is just going against the grain of a very deeply held subconscious emotional response by the species Homo-Sapiens........

It mightn't be a bad idea to 'go against the grain' of a very deeply held subconscious emotional response, if it's a contest or struggle between atavistic feelings of superiority or difference in terms of nationality or race
    VERSUS
    logic, empathy, and an enlightened attitude -regardless of history- to people of all nationalities and races, then I'm for the latter thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭DonR8

If i wanted to ware the butcher apron i become a butcher

9959 wrote: »
    It mightn't be a bad idea to 'go against the grain' of a very deeply held subconscious emotional response, if it's a contest or struggle between atavistic feelings of superiority or difference in terms of nationality or race
    VERSUS
    logic, empathy, and an enlightened attitude -regardless of history- to people of all nationalities and races, then I'm for the latter thanks.
    Not you again.
    Not wanting to wear a symbol of a group you do not belong to does not imply feelings of superiority nor a lack of empathy.

Your A v's B is also what is known as a "False Dichotomy".

Not you again.
    Not wanting to wear a symbol of a group you do not belong to does not imply feelings of superiority nor a lack of empathy.

Your A v's B is also what is known as a "False Dichotomy".

"not you again"?

That's a bit different to your earlier 'triumph of the will' piffle.

9959 wrote: »
    "not you again"?

That's a bit different to your earlier 'triumph of the will' piffle.
    Another well reasoned and logical post from yourself.
    Amusing considering your earlier post about logic and enlightened attitudes.
    When I don't reply to any more of your posts it won't be because I have no reply but because I couldn't be arsed.
    Bye.......

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 388 ✭✭Truncheon Rouge

I wonder what the British opinion would be on wearing a German flag item ?
    Or an EU one?

Is there an English version of Boards.ie ?

(I hope there is, so they don't steal ours)

Another well reasoned and logical post from yourself.
    Amusing considering your earlier post about logic and enlightened attitudes.
    When I don't reply to any more of your posts it won't be because I have no reply but because I couldn't be arsed.
    Bye.......

Ah don't go, you're gas, and careful not to get too emotional next time you see a flag, bye.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭elfy4eva

I don't think many people would wear it purely because
    it would attract negative attention from scumbags. I
    always see union jack gear in TK Maxx and wonder
    why they even bother stocking it in the republic :P.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Or an EU one?

Not really, the nearest in terms of use would be digitalspy I'd say which has a big general discussion forum. As for would wearing German branded clothing be discussed, I guess someone would need to start that thread!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭gobnaitolunacy

Or an EU one?

'I say, old chaps, should one be looked upon as quite the rotter whilst wearing an item of clothing with the Hun flag embroidered thereon?'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

Or an EU one?
    I've seen quite a few English people ( in England) wear the German football shirt and it's no big deal to bee seen wearing the shirts of other footballing nations there including ROI .

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

Oryx wrote: »
    The Some scottish have a problem with the union jack as well.

FYP.

It may come as a surprise to you to learn that some English people have a problem with it too.

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭starskey77

are you well yud be killed wear i live bet lad

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭discus

I've no problem with it, I wear the union jack all the time

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭Kold

Weirdly enough, I was in an American bar in Da Nang last night where the live band were all Vietnamese and wearing stars and stripes spangled outfits. I wanted to ask them if it bothered them at all.

Me? Im wearing an England football jersey right now. No British flag on it though so its k, right?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 353 ✭✭RADIUS

iDave wrote: »
    I remember a 'fashion' trend a few years ago of wearing jumpers and T-shirts that said CCCP on them. Nice to see so many people condoned Stalins Purges, gulags, nuclear proliferation, putting war heads in Cuba, dividing Europe, shooting reformers and not holding free elections.

Stalin didnt send warheads to cuba. 100's of millions of people lived in ussr for generations after Stalin and were perfectly normal, nice human beings who would have had CCCP stamped on most of their belongings just like we have EU printed on many products. My wife has CCCP printed on her birth cert does that mean she condoned the crimes of Stalin? Please think before you make such sweeping statements in the future.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 637 ✭✭✭ruthloss

Fizman wrote: »
    It's about as cool as discovering that your missus is suffering from blue waffle.

What is blue waffle? :eek:

Advertisement