Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Would you wear clothing with the British flag on it?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

Because i was responding to your post?

Oh really? That's what you'd call a response? Your first sentence is a classic strawman and your second sentence only exposes your own prejudice as to what 'republican' means.

I pulled someone else up on this narrow definition of 'republican' in politics - here it is for your attention.

Try harder.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

If you wear clothing with a Union Jack on it as part of your everyday attire(rather than wearing it for a day or so because of sport) in Ireland, you're British, you're wearing a Nationalist symbol of the UK, simple as that. Also just beware you can be identified as a Loyalist by wearing one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

Madam_X wrote: »

And I do think it's hypocritical to consume and enjoy lots of British culture, while simultaneously feeling animosity towards Britain. Ditto American culture/America.

So because US foriegn policy is occassionally an abomination, people should take a taleban like attitude to all things American.....Very progressive.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,370 ✭✭✭Phoebas

baz2009 wrote: »
    No, because they didn't oppress Ireland for hundreds of years. Is it really that hard to comprehend?
    You were oppressed by a small piece of fabric for hundreds of years!:eek:
    Bless.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

iDave wrote: »
    I remember a 'fashion' trend a few years ago of wearing jumpers and T-shirts that said CCCP on them. Nice to see so many people condoned Stalins Purges, gulags, nuclear proliferation, putting war heads in Cuba, dividing Europe, shooting reformers and not holding free elections.

All true but Commie symbols are so cool with the student body you know!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,752 ✭✭✭pablomakaveli

Oh really? That's what you'd call a response? Your first sentence is a classic strawman and your second sentence only exposes your own prejudice as to what 'republican' means.

I pulled someone else up on this narrow definition of 'republican' in politics - here it is for your attention.

Try harder.

And yet your spouting this nonsense:
    you see, the pro-British faux-moderates who turn up on these threads internally despise all things that distinguish us Irish as a separate people from the British.

Thats what i was responding to. The idea that anyone who on this thread who hasnt really got a problem with clothing with a Union Jack is some Pro-British person trying to undermine Irishness.

In fact that attitude is demonstrated again in that post you linked. And its an attitude i see only with posters with strong Irish Republican or Nationalist leanings.

Its that whole ridiculous attitude i was calling into question.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,958 ✭✭✭delthedriver

Nodin wrote: »
    Theres some point there, under the whinging and smiley faces....maybe you could just unveil it and end the mystery....

What are you on?

What whinging face?

Of course the chucks were oppressed ......reading difficulties!

And yet your spouting this nonsense:

Thats what i was responding to. The idea that anyone who on this thread who hasnt really got a problem with clothing with a Union Jack is some Pro-British person trying to undermine Irishness.

He didn't say that. He referred to a certain few posters who turn up on these kind of threads who have a pro-british position.

What are you on?

What whinging face?

Of course the chucks were oppressed ......reading difficulties!

O theres nothing wrong with my reading skills.

Looks like it is back under your bridge Nodin!smile.png

What - exactly - did you mean by that?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭Conmaicne Mara

SeanFxx wrote: »
    Would you wear clothes with the British flag on it?

Not under any circumstances.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 42 hardy buck salmon

No way Erin go Brach

baz2009 wrote: »
    It's really not at all hypocritical.:confused:
    English football club jerseys don't represent years of oppression.

They do if its Manchester Utd and you are a Liverpool fan :(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,485 ✭✭✭dj jarvis

Oryx wrote: »
    Its a cultural no-no. We sell product that comes with a little union jack sewn into the seams, we always have to cut them off the garments, as people object to them!

Its not just us. The scottish have a problem with the union jack as well.

all Scottish ? or just the small minded gob****es ?

He didn't say that. He referred to a certain few posters who turn up on these kind of threads who have a pro-british position.

Pro-British being almost anyone who isnt anti. There is no middle ground with some people on this matter.

The poster he responded to merely said he wanted us to move forward with a better partnership with other nations. Is this whats considered Pro-British?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

Thats what i was responding to.

No you weren't. You had a little rant to yourself without thinking.
    The idea that anyone who on this thread who hasnt really got a problem with clothing with a Union Jack is some Pro-British person trying to undermine Irishness.

Another big fat strawman. I don't even have a problem with people wearing the UF (unless it's done to provoke) so am against myself here? Really, try to make sense.
    In fact that attitude is demonstrated again in that post you linked. And its an attitude i see only with posters with strong Irish Republican or Nationalist leanings.

That I correct someone that Irish republicanism and/or Irish Nationalism is is not the same as unflinching support for the PIRA and you attribute that to an attitude that I don't harbour?

Cool story bro. Maybe you should find a mirror and have an argument with yourself.

Really, try harder.

Has a week ever passed on AH without a halfwitted anti-Brit thread or thread which turned into a one?

Pro-British being almost anyone who isnt anti. There is no middle ground with some people on this matter.

The poster he responded to merely said he wanted us to move forward with a better partnership with other nations. Is this whats considered Pro-British?

This is what he posted.
    you see, the pro-British faux-moderates who turn up on these threads internally despise all things that distinguish us Irish as a separate people from the British.

You know there's been at least one southern unionist posting on this thread already?

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭Basil Fawlty

Its a nice looking flag, its a fashion icon. We may no longer be a political part of the UK but we have a shared history, not all good granted but in the modern world we have more that unites us than divides us. Our cultures have a few differences but they are mainly local and easily understood.

I despise any Irish person who attempts to question my Irishness by saying that if you like England/UK you therefore hate Ireland, and that if you love Ireland you should therefore hate England. The UK is a friend not an enemy.

Again its 2013 get over it!!

You know there's been at least one southern unionist posting on this thread already?

Is that a bad thing in your eyes? Fear and loathing on AH

• Registered Users Posts: 13,355 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

mike65 wrote: »
    Has a week ever passed on AH without a halfwitted anti-Brit thread or thread which turned into a one?

I think it's in the sticky at the top of AH that there has to be at least one in play at any given time.
    Nodin wrote:

Is it the one who keeps re-reg'ing?

• Advertisement

Is that a bad thing in your eyes?

Sad, bit bad.
    Fear and loathing on AH

When they have TD's I'll worry. Then again FG are in.....

Its not anti-British Mike. Ireland ain't British, she an independent nation, the Union Jack belongs to the British people(who want it), not Irish people as we have our own flag.

It is NOT anti-British to stick up for your own country.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,327 ✭✭✭Madam_X

gurramok wrote: »
    If you wear clothing with a Union Jack on it as part of your everyday attire(rather than wearing it for a day or so because of sport) in Ireland, you're British, you're wearing a Nationalist symbol of the UK, simple as that. Also just beware you can be identified as a Loyalist by wearing one.
    I'd say anyone else on this thread - no matter what perspective they're coming from - finds the above particularly stupid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭Fox_In_Socks

I could wear a succession of flag-themed see through nighties with each flag superimposed over the preceding nightie, until the British flag manifests itself? Thank this post if you want to see me wear it.

I'm male, ugly and pale btw.

:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,489 ✭✭✭Yamanoto

The problem is, you see, the pro-British faux-moderates who turn up on these threads internally despise all things that distinguish us Irish as a separate people from the British.

On a tangential note, I'm often curious as to why it is that when talk turns to Irish music in AH, a fair few Republicans appear to favour hammy old ballads or cabaret acts like the Wolfe Tones, as opposed to the timeless tunes and players who are rightly considered real cultural treasures -the Uilleann pipers Seamus Ennis & Willie Clancy or the fiddle of Sean McGuire - music that's raucous, elemental and ethereal all at once and absolutely unique to this island.

kowloon wrote: »

Is it the one who keeps re-reg'ing?

Keith? No. Keiths from the North anyway.

That I correct someone that Irish republicanism and/or Irish Nationalism is is not the same as unflinching support for the PIRA and you attribute that to an attitude that I don't harbour?

Cool story bro. Maybe you should find a mirror and have an argument with yourself.

Really, try harder.

You said this in the linked post
    In fact, I'd say Ireland needs Nationalism to counter those who would like to destroy our identity as a separate people - they're all over these boards. They hate GAA, they hate Irish language, they hate Irish music, they hate people being proud to be Irish etc. They imagine that Ireland would be a 3rd world country had the Brits not colonised us which is idiocy of the highest order.

which is the attitude im referring to or did you forget that bit of the post when you linked to it?

You said this in the linked post

which is the attitude im referring to or did you forget that bit of the post when you linked to it?

So we should embrace the self-haters now?

Madam_X wrote: »
    I'd say anyone else on this thread - no matter what perspective they're coming from - finds the above particularly stupid.

How? Ain't you from Germany or somewhere like that? :)

I'm just saying if one wanders around with a Union Jack on oneself like a flag protester from Belfast, well its gonna be pretty hard to distinguish between fashionista's and political protesters.

The Union flag is political, wearing next seasons black ain't.

• Advertisement

So we should embrace the self-haters now?

And how would you define a "self-hater" as you call it?

If you dont like the GAA or have no-interest in it does that make you a self-hater?

Or if you dont support funding the Irish language does that make someone a self-hater?

Why should does things define someones Irish identity?

Advertisement