Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Would you wear clothing with the British flag on it?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

And how would you define a "self-hater" as you call it?

If you dont like the GAA or have no-interest in it does that make you a self-hater?

Or if you dont support funding the Irish language does that make someone a self-hater?

Why should does things define someones Irish identity?

He was fairly clear in what he said, so why you phrase your questions in the way you do is a bit odd....
    they're all over these boards. They hate GAA, they hate Irish language, they hate Irish music, they hate people being proud to be Irish etc. They imagine that Ireland would be a 3rd world country had the Brits not colonised us which is idiocy of the highest order.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,972 ✭✭✭orestes

No, I live in Tallaght and I'm half English, it would easily result in me getting savagely beaten and possibly result in me getting killed.

Ironically, the Irish half of me is more disgusted by that than the English half.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,958 ✭✭✭delthedriver

Nodin wrote: »
    O theres nothing wrong with my reading skills.

What - exactly - did you mean by that?

Is that you again Gerry?

Happy Easter!

Is that you again Gerry?

Happy Easter!

Is there some reason you can't answer the question?
    Looks like it is back under your bridge Nodin!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,818 ✭✭✭fussyonion

OP why exactly did you start this thread? To stir up arguments?!
    Beggars belief....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,327 ✭✭✭Madam_X

gurramok wrote: »
    How?
    Wearing an item of clothing with a union jack on it does not turn a non British person British - they need a British passport first.
    And it could deem them identifiable them as a loyalist? Really?
    Ain't you from Germany or somewhere like that? :)
    No. I'm Irish. Without an inferiority complex - in the self loathing sense, or the "**** the Brits" sense.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

which is the attitude im referring to or did you forget that bit of the post when you linked to it?

So not embracing the haters is an 'attitude' is it?

Excuse me, one second, while I step outside and kick the **** out of myself...

... better?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,752 ✭✭✭pablomakaveli

He was fairly clear in what he said, so why you phrase your questions in the way you do is a bit odd....

You were the one who brought up the self-haters. Im just curious to know your idea of what makes someone a self hater as you put it or is it the same as his?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭Pj!

There must be a thread like this every week or fortnight.

Same discussions. Same arguments.

If you wouldn't wear it because of oppression that is absolutely fine.
    If you secretly wear it at home for whatever reason that is fine.
    If you wear it out in public that's fine too.

There really must be something more interesting to discuss.

Hi Gerry,

Working overtime tonight?

Take it easy, it is the Easter Break.

Did anyone buy you an chocolate egg yet?

• Advertisement

You were the one who brought up the self-haters. Im just curious to know your idea of what makes someone a self hater as you put it or is it the same as his?

More or less the same as his.

Hi Gerry,

What did you mean by the following?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

Yamanoto wrote: »
    On a tangential note, I'm often curious as to why it is that when talk turns to Irish music in AH, a fair few Republicans appear to favour hammy old ballads or cabaret acts like the Wolfe Tones, as opposed to the timeless tunes and players who are rightly considered real cultural treasures -the Uilleann pipers Seamus Ennis & Willie Clancy or the fiddle of Sean McGuire - music that's raucous, elemental and ethereal all at once and absolutely unique to this island.

I'd largely agree with that. I grew up in a house where 'rebel' songs would not have been tolerated (folks did their best to insulate us from sectarianism) tbh so I never developed any affinity for them.

So not embracing the haters is an 'attitude' is it?

Excuse me, one second, while I step outside and kick the **** out of myself...

... better?

I never said anything about "embracing haters".

Its the attitude that you have to meet certain parameters to be "Irish" (ie support the GAA or Irish music) and that if you dont you hate yourself and hate Ireland.

And if your going to be kicking the **** out of yourself maybe you could kick the crappy attitude and unecessary digs out of your posts too.

Pj! wrote: »
    There must be a thread like this every week or fortnight.

Same discussions. Same arguments.

If you wouldn't wear it because of oppression that is absolutely fine.
    If you secretly wear it at home for whatever reason that is fine.
    If you wear it out in public that's fine too.

There really must be something more interesting to discuss.

Agree totally.

Gerry and his buddies don't go out often.....this is their entertainment.!

Bless 'em

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

Madam_X wrote: »
    Wearing an item of clothing with a union jack on it does not turn a non British person British - they need a British passport first.
    And it could deem them identifiable them as a loyalist? Really?

No. I'm Irish. Without an inferiority complex - in the self loathing sense, or the "**** the Brits" sense.

Out of all the fashionable items out there, the Union Jack is worn. That is a person's choice to associate with the UK and on this island its associated with Loyalism, specifically British nationalism.

Good Night Gerry

Out of all the fashionable items out there, the Union Jack is worn. That is a person's choice to associate with the UK and on this island its associated with Loyalism, specifically British nationalism.
    That's only your interpretation of it - it does not make it a fact. They might have no political leanings at all, and just like the look of the symbol.

More or less the same as his.

So why does hating the GAA or Irish language mean someone that does so is a self hater?

What if they dont like a lot of aspects of Irish culture but still feel proud to be Irish and still like Ireland?

How could they be classed as a self-hater in that case and why should their sense of Irishness be subject to a checklist of requirements?

Is there some reason you can't answer the question?

Good night Gerry

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭marshbaboon

SeanFxx wrote: »
    I seen a photo yesterday on facebook, of a top someone bought, it has a huge uk flag on the back. I personally wouldn't touch it....

That's amazing. You should write that down in your huge book of really cool stories. Then you can share it with your kids (if you ever find someone willing to procreate with you).

So why does hating the GAA or Irish language mean someone that does so is a self hater?

What if they dont like a lot of aspects of Irish culture but still feel proud to be Irish and still like Ireland?

How could they be classed as a self-hater in that case and why should their sense of Irishness be subject to a checklist of requirements?

You should re-read what he stated. Essentially we have some folk who hate anything Irish, because its Irish, and adopt a pro-british attitude. Its fairly simple.

Madam_X wrote: »
    That's only your interpretation of it - it does not make it a fact. They might have no political leanings at all, and just like the look of the symbol.

Not my interpretation. Do you have a clue about NI??

Sounds like ignorance not to know the Union Jack is associated with our loyalist friends on their recent uproar with the removal of the Union flag from Belfast City Hall.

Good night Gerry

• Registered Users Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

Mod

Flaming stops here please.

Hi Gerry,

Agree totally.

Gerry and his buddies don't go out often.....this is their entertainment.!

Bless 'em
    Good Night Gerry

Thats more your interpretation of someones decision to wear it. The beauty of symbols is they can have different meanings or none at all. Someone who wears it may just see it as a design on their tshirt and nothing more than that.

Not my interpretation. Do you have a clue about NI??

Sounds like ignorance not to know the Union Jack is associated with our loyalist friends on their recent uproar with the removal of the Union flag from Belfast City Hall.
    Oh it really really is your interpretation. Yes I do have a clue about N.I. A person is only "pro British" or a loyalist or whatever if they identify themselves as such, not because you decide they are, due to them wearing something with a symbol which they like the look of. I despise fanatical loyalism, but that doesn't mean I wouldn't wear an item of clothing with a small union jack on it if I like the item of clothing... yet according to you, that would make me identifiable as a loyalist (and by that, I'm assuming you mean a target). Fascinating "logic".

You should re-read what he stated. Essentially we have some folk who hate anything Irish, because its Irish, and adopt a pro-british attitude. Its fairly simple.

There are very few. I can really only think of one poster on Boards who thinks like that. However the self-hater thing still sometimes unfairly gets applied to people who might be supportive of Britain on some matters or criticize aspects of Irish culture. Not necessarily by you or Chuck Stone but it does happen.

Thats more your interpretation of someones decision to wear it. The beauty of symbols is they can have different meanings or none at all. Someone who wears it may just see it as a design on their tshirt and nothing more than that.

So you have not watched and read the news recently with serious Loyalist riots over the removal of their flag? Rioters embrazoned with the flag over their bodies.

On this island, wearing that flag is associated with loyalism. In Britain its not really as its their flag and don't give a sh1t about NI.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,736 ✭✭✭Irish Guitarist

I like my clothes to have as little writing or pictures printed on them as possible. I find the massive brand name as off putting as the flag.

Advertisement