Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Would you wear clothing with the British flag on it?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 663 ✭✭✭space_man

Recently bought a T-shirt for my boy in Next, and felt compelled to remove union flag. Took me 35 mins, but I felt better after it was removed and binned.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 689 ✭✭✭Mr Whirly

darced wrote: »
    This post has been deleted.

What country doesn't have blood on their hands though?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

Mr Whirly wrote: »

Big Country.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭dd972

When I see the likes of the BNP, EDL and NF giving out about the Irish it makes me feel pretty sick. Then I realise a lot of people I know are no better when they are giving out about the English.

always been a bit mystified by this, ok they've got a beef with Irish Republicanism fair enough, but ffs we're more Nordic than they are !

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 10 cloudybins

I would not wear clothing with the union jack. Not because of political or racist reasons but because I have not got the liathroidi to put up with the slagging I'd get from friends. Personally would have no objection about wearing it and couldn't give a monkeys myself about any political arguments.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,461 ✭✭✭Queen-Mise

I wouldn't wear the Union Jack, but then I wouldn't wear the tricolour either.

I wouldn't wear anything green within a week either side of Paddy's Day either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 954 ✭✭✭lahalane

If I'm just lazing around the house I wouldn't care what was on it. If I was going out I wouldn't unless I thought it looked good. I had a Rugby shirt with the 6 Nations flags on it and I had no problem wearing it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭Ruudi_Mentari

I did wear it for like a month or two in my teens, in the typical desecratory punk fashion but tbh I don't think it was tattered nor defaced enough so it probably just came off wrong!

• Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

Oh FFS :rolleyes:
    There are not enough rolleyes in the world for your comment, my friend.

Please point out the similarities between the Irish/English and the Jews/Nazis.

The people that fought for that flag treated us like second class citizens and tried to wipe us and our culture off the face of the planet, so yeah I'd see it as fairly similar.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,573 ✭✭✭pragmatic1

I think the British take it to a whole other level though.

• Advertisement

pragmatic1 wrote: »
    Nope. I despise everything it stands for.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

replying to your own quote is a sign of you being a bit raving!

whataboutery here we come! (Mongols, Spanish, Romans, French, Soviet Union Stalin and so on)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,776 ✭✭✭Jhcx

I wear two union jacks everyday on my reebok classics Not to mention all the other clothing that has a little, medium Union Jack.

It's not like I go out of my way for it, just happen to come with the items I like.

• Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

mike65 wrote: »
    replying to your own quote is a sign of you being a bit raving!

whataboutery here we come! (Mongols, Spanish, Romans, French, Soviet Union Stalin and so on)
    Sure thing, and you wouldn't be likely to see any of the countries conquered by the above gladly sporting their flags. A bit like someone from Poland wearing a Russian flag, something that you will never ever see.

But hey, this is Ireland, some of our people gladly bend over and take it from the likes of the British (and now the Germans).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,039 ✭✭✭MJ23

No, i wouldn't wear anything with an Ireland flag on it either. Nor would i wear any county jersey, soccer, rugby, or any other sort of Jersey.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,752 ✭✭✭pablomakaveli

I wonder what peoples opinion be on a person wearing a tricolour on their clothing receiving abuse because people over there associated it with the IRA?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

I wonder what peoples opinion be on a person wearing a tricolour on their clothing receiving abuse because people over there associated it with the IRA?

That would only really be an issue in the north and only in certain parts of the north. The UF and the Tricolour are much more emotive up there.

I think the type of people who'd abuse a person for wearing a UJ on a fashion item/sports shirt in the south, or similarly a Tricolour in Britain, would be pretty fucking dumb.

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭markfinn

Nope. Wouldn't wear anything with the Irish or US (or for that matter any other current) flags either.

Nationalism and its accompaniments are generally pretty repulsive at best and go downhill from there.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 37 vincit qui se vincit

LordSutch wrote: »
    ...Looking at the British isles....

*British jingoist alert*

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 37 vincit qui se vincit

Catphish wrote: »
    I have bought stuff in the past with the UJ on it, so no it wouldn't bother me in the least. It's an its an item of clothing, not a statement of some kind.

If the Union Jack is "not a statement of some kind", can we expect that all the flag-waving types in the North and over in Britain will adopt the Irish or French flags, then?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭gallag

Britain and ireland built the empire, ireland has a lot of the colonial blood on its hands, but there is no shame in this, in those days it was fight or die, every country that had the ability built an empire, morality did not come into it, if the irish kings had more success invading wales and England they would have pushed on to france etc. The British empire would not have been possible without the partnership of the irish.

gallag wrote: »
    Britain and ireland built the empire, ireland has a lot of the colonial blood on its hands, but there is no shame in this, in those days it was fight or die, every country that had the ability built an empire, morality did not come into it, if the irish kings had more success invading wales and England they would have pushed on to france etc. The British empire would not have been possible without the partnership of the irish.
    Sure thing if it helps your conscience. But it should be noted that at the height of the British empire, Ireland was one of the poorest nations in the world. Not Europe, the world. Not exactly the position you'd expect a colonial powerhouse to be in.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 bbm1

it was not a willing partnership on Irelands part! its not like Ireland signed up for a coalition with Britain.. so I personally wouldnt say Ireland helped build the empire, but then in some cases we were slaves to the empire

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

One of the perversions of Empire is to use conquered peoples to further conquer others.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭Miss Lockhart

Partnership, exploitation, I can see how you might get confused.

It's stupid to hate Britain today based on the actions of the past, (opposing their current conduct is a separate issue) but most normal British people I know have no problem acknowledging their country's despicable actions of the past. They're embarrassed by apologists who seek to engage in whataboutery.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,235 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Augmerson wrote: »
    My old Bohemians jersey has a tricolour on the back, just a small one near the neck. It's tasteful. I think it's the only thing I own that has a flag on it, and I wear it quite a bit, especially around the house.

Nothing tasteful about a bohs jersey :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

I think the type of people who'd abuse a person for wearing a UJ on a fashion item/sports shirt in the south, or similarly a Tricolour in Britain, would be pretty fucking dumb.
    Agreed ... there are lot of dumb fcukers out there to .

I have little collection of national flags ( A-4 paper size ) which I have sticking out of a large beer jug including the Irish Tri Colour , USA ,Spanish ,Dutch , Union Jack etc ,and to me it's no different to collecting any souvenir ,stamps or other items of interest from any particular country and it's not like I'm going to wave them all over the place in public .

• Registered Users Posts: 8,636 ✭✭✭feargale

Nimrod 7 wrote: »
    I wouldn't wear it simply because I'd more than likely get killed for walking around wearing a Union Jack in North Dublin. And no I'm not British either.
    And we think there's bigotry in Belfast! The split in Irish soccer was as much the fault of Southern bigotry as Northern bigotry.
    If someone did wear it, I'd have no problem with it.
    That's fair comment.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,636 ✭✭✭feargale

It's ironic but yes :D Man U jerseys usually.
    Hypocrites

I'd wear one if I wasn't in Ireland to be honest

What about the protester who some years ago turned up at Croke Park carrying a placard objecting to " foreign games " at Croker - while wearing a Glasgow Celtic jersey ?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

feargale wrote: »
    What about the protester who some years ago turned up at Croke Park carrying a placard objecting to " foreign games " at Croker - while wearing a Glasgow Celtic jersey ?

That was photoshopped.

Advertisement