Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Would you wear clothing with the British flag on it?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 353 ✭✭RADIUS

Gambas wrote: »
    You're right about the anti-British sentiment. But incorrect in thinking that's where I'm coming from. On one level I see Britain and Ireland as a cultural unit of sorts - undeniable IMO. However, your picture above is overly simplistic. (Your genetic claims are stretched far too far and the Romans were referring to the Irish colonists of the West of Scotland, and not the Picts who eventually were subsumed into the original Scotland)

Anyway, there histories of Britain and Ireland are very much intertwined - that seems to be your point - but you can find the same thing virtually anywhere you look in Europe. Not recognising that means you're doing the same as the people who think that there is something inherently wrong with having a union jack on the tag of their underpants.

The crux of my point was that Ireland and Britian have more historical, genetic and cultural ties than Ireland an Czech for example. The relationship between Ireland and Britian is exceptional in that sense. Just as Russia and Ukraine have an exceptional relationship, Or Austria and Hungary.

I didn't mean I considered your post bigoted I was referring to the overall sense of ant-British sentiment on AH and the general ignorance around the subject.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

Well that's ok so. You must be right. :)
    He and I were just pointing out the errors in your concept of Anglo Irish/British relationships which to be honest , is down to much more than the wearing of a union flag on any item of clothing .
    :)
    RADIUS wrote: »
    The crux of my point was that Ireland and Britian have more historical, genetic and cultural ties than Ireland an Czech for example. The relationship between Ireland and Britian is exceptional in that sense. Just as Russia and Ukraine have an exceptional relationship, Or Austria and Hungary.
    My point to .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭Miss Lockhart

I didn't mean I considered your post bigoted I was referring to the overall sense of ant-British sentiment on AH and the general ignorance around the subject.

The point he was making was that Slovakia/Czech Republic and Italy/San Marino have just as close of ties as Ireland/Britain, as do many other neighbouring countries, so there is nothing exceptional at all about it. You have misinterpreted.

• Registered Users Posts: 846 ✭✭✭Gambas

The crux of my point was that Ireland and Britian have more historical, genetic and cultural ties than Ireland an Czech for example. The relationship between Ireland and England is exceptional in that sense. Just as Russia and Ukraine have an exceptional relationship, Or Austria and Hungary.

OK maybe I picked you up incorrectly too.

I suppose there are two ways of looking at it. From an Irish persective our relationship with Britain is exceptional.

But that wasn't the point I was making.

Looking at planet Earth from the moon, Ireland's relationship with Britain is not exceptional. The continent of Europe is teeming with similar sort of relationships. Irish people have a tendency to be unable to look at things from a wider perspective.

OK maybe I picked you up incorrectly too.

I suppose there are two ways of looking at it. From an Irish persective our relationship with Britain is exceptional.

Looking at planet Earth from the moon, Ireland's relationship with Britain is not exceptional. The continent of Europe is teeming with similar sort of relationships. Irish people have a tendency to be unable to look at things from a wider perspective.

Well if you look at it like that then I guess nothing is exceptional. ;)

• Advertisement

Well if you look at it like that then I guess nothing is exceptional. ;)

What? This makes absolutely no sense. Exceptional things are exceptional. Things which are common are not exceptional.

Winky smilies don't make nonsense true.

• Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

Why would I wear a Union Jack? That would be like a Jew wearing something with a Nazi emblem on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,255 ✭✭✭getz

cournioni wrote: »
    Why would I wear a Union Jack? That would be like a Jew wearing something with a Nazi emblem on it.
    to wear a union flag you would have to cut holes in it for your arms and fix buttons on,but putting the british in the same boat as NAZI emblems on jews ,is sick,now ban me

• Site Banned Posts: 99 ✭✭Spanish Harlem

Oh FFS :rolleyes:
    There are not enough rolleyes in the world for your comment, my friend.

Please point out the similarities between the Irish/English and the Jews/Nazis.

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭Skyflyer1234

People need to drop this whole anti Uk attitude its absolutely rediculous, we're in the modern days now.
    time to wake up and let the past go or else we're going no where

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

:rolleyes:

All those European , Japanese and American tourists wear union jack T shirts as a symbol of everything British ,just like the red bus and harks back to times such as the swinging sixties .

It would be exactly like a vegetarian Orthodox Jew wearing a pork Lady Gaga dress with a big swastika branded on the back and a bone sticking out that meant their hand was sticking up in the air in a permanent Hitler salute.

Exactly like that.

time to wake up and let the past go or else we're going no where

My grandaddy didn't die in the GPO alongside Mick and Dev and the guy with only one side of a face, a few years before he met my grandmother, so that people like you and me could go places.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Great!

Super!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

Indeed it is, not least because due to proximity we have been hemorraging people from here to the neighbouring island for millenia,
    and vice versa of course. As we speak, many many Irish people are leaving these shores as they have always done in hard times and
    settled on the larger island for work & a new start, hence the massive Irish contingent in Britain (where the naughty flag comes from) ;)
    Looking at planet Earth from the moon, Ireland's relationship with Britain is not exceptional.

I beg to differ. Looking at the British isles from space you can clearly see that we are a small group of islands on an archipelago
    on the periphery of the European continent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 74 ✭✭fullgas

No, but I wouldn't wear anything with an Irish flag on it either. Same goes with labels. Some people love being walking advertisments.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭gallag

Wow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 378 ✭✭Catphish

I have bought stuff in the past with the UJ on it, so no it wouldn't bother me in the least. It's an its an item of clothing, not a statement of some kind.

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭shleedance

My grandaddy didn't die in the GPO alongside Mick and Dev and the guy with only one side of a face, a few years before he met my grandmother, so that people like you and me could go places.

With that logic, we should still hate the Germans.

They did ****ty things in the past - but we're a new generation of people with different ideals. Yes there's still major issues ie. N. Ireland, but frankly it's better to get along with people who had no say or action in such things.

What? This makes absolutely no sense. Exceptional things are exceptional. Things which are common are not exceptional.

Winky smilies don't make nonsense true.

Sorry it didn't make sense for you. I was being philosophical. If you read the converstation to get the context and try think outside the box you might see that. The wink was to show I was being ironic as it's hard to portray wryness online.

Anyway the world of the nonliteral is not for everyone, so take heart, and as the naughty flags first lady once said; "keep calm and carry on."

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 518 ✭✭✭otto_26

Yes I would

Sorry it didn't make sense for you. I was being philosophical. If you read the converstation to get the context and try think outside the box you might see that. The wink was to show I was being ironic as it's hard to portray wryness online.

Anyway the world of the nonliteral is not for everyone, so take heart, and as the naughty flags first lady once said; "keep calm and carry on."

Dressing up nonsense as irony is just a cop out. I have no problem with comprehension, but thank you for your condescension. It was in fact you who misinterpreted a post comparing the Irish/British situation to that of other similar neighbouring countries. Or do you deal only with the philosophical and struggle with the literal?

And you can direct your petty, patronising statements about naughty flags to someone who views them as such. I couldn't care less about the british flag one way or the other.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭dd972

shouldn't the Thread title have ( in Ardoyne ) after it in brackets ! ;)

Dressing up nonsense as irony is just a cop out. I have no problem with comprehension, but thank you for your condescension. It was in fact you who misinterpreted a post comparing the Irish/British situation to that of other similar neighbouring countries. Or do you deal only with the philosophical and struggle with the literal?

And you can direct your petty, patronising statements about naughty flags to someone who views them as such. I couldn't care less about the british flag one way or the other.

Someone said that there is nothing exceptional about Ireland's relationship with Britain. I said there is. That person then said well you could say that about any countrys relationship with other countries in close proximity, and if you look at the bigger picture all countries are in close proximity. I said well if you take that perspective none of them are exceptional meaning if you step far back enough from it than it all becomes common.

Whats not to get?

• Registered Users Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

The Union flag is quite popular on main land Europe. Bags, Tshirts and the like, not very discrete either. Seems to be in fashion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

mike65 wrote: »
    Great!

Super!

Very good CJ, that takes me back :D

Someone said that there is nothing exceptional about Ireland's relationship with Britain. I said there is. That person then said well you could say that about any countrys relationship with other countries in close proximity, and if you look at the bigger picture all countries are in close proximity. I said well if you take that perspective none of them are exceptional meaning if you step far back enough from it than it all becomes common.

Whats not to get?

Actually, you said:

"The crux of my point was that Ireland and Britian have more historical, genetic and cultural ties than Ireland an Czech for example. The relationship between Ireland and Britian is exceptional in that sense"

This did not address the point the other poster made at all about Ireland and Britain being no more exceptionally linked tbanmost neighbouring countries.

You also said "nothing was exceptional" not none of them are exceptional.

What you posted above makes sense, but that is not what you actually said.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 689 ✭✭✭Mr Whirly

When I see the likes of the BNP, EDL and NF giving out about the Irish it makes me feel pretty sick. Then I realise a lot of people I know are no better when they are giving out about the English.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,162 ✭✭✭Augmerson

My old Bohemians jersey has a tricolour on the back, just a small one near the neck. It's tasteful. I think it's the only thing I own that has a flag on it, and I wear it quite a bit, especially around the house.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,056 ✭✭✭darced

This post has been deleted.

Advertisement