Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Would you wear clothing with the British flag on it?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,763 ✭✭✭✭Crann na Beatha

This post has been deleted.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,253 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

Somebody must as the likes of Next and TX Maxx always have stuff with British flags on it etc, either that or the central buyers (presumably based in the UK have no clue).

Anyway, whats the difference between a Man U, Liverpool etc top to one with a British flag?. . .nothing really from what I can see!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

Kold wrote: »
    Weirdly enough, I was in an American bar in Da Nang last night where the live band were all Vietnamese and wearing stars and stripes spangled outfits. I wanted to ask them if it bothered them at all.
    The Americans left Vietnam 40 years ago today so perhaps they were celebrating and needed the stars and stripes for effect .

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2300820/Vietnam-withdrawal-40th-anniversary-Americans-remember-Vietnam-War-40-years-US-troops-pulled-bloody-battlefield.html
    Me? Im wearing an England football jersey right now. No British flag on it though so its k, right ?

I wear English tops as well as my Irish one as casual wear around the house to .

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭Kold

Latchy wrote: »
    The Americans left Vietnam 40 years ago today so perhaps they were celebrating and needed the stars and stripes for effect .

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2300820/Vietnam-withdrawal-40th-anniversary-Americans-remember-Vietnam-War-40-years-US-troops-pulled-bloody-battlefield.html

I wear English tops as well as my Irish one as casual wear around the house to .
    Yup. Red flags with yellow stars line the streets right now and Im awaiting fireworks but its raining now.. Bizarre though isnt it? America's atrocity of a war is far more recent yet there isnt nearly as much ill will as the Irish towards the British.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 637 ✭✭✭ruthloss

ruthloss wrote: »
    What is blue waffle? :eek:

Never mind., I Googled it. (puke)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,281 ✭✭✭donegal_road

SeanFxx wrote: »
    Would you wear clothes with the British flag on it?

I seen a photo yesterday on facebook, of a top someone bought, it has a huge uk flag on the back. I personally wouldn't touch it....

https://fbcdn-sphotos-h-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-frc1/733989_10200127016110555_1713967780_n.jpg

where I live you would be pulled aside and told to remove it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 353 ✭✭RADIUS

The only symbol of Ireland I would wear is the Harp crest with the blue or green background. This represents the Ireland who's history I am proud of. All other symbols of Ireland are too divisive for me, Including the tri-colour.

I would not wear the Union Jack because it is mot mine to wear. Simple as that.
    I would not wear the tri-colour because for me it represents IRA, and fenianism which I don't agree with, I also don't like how the North is represented as Orange as it is so much than that.

The Harp is the only consistant and all inclusive symbol of Ireland and the Irish that pervades history.

Yup. Red flags with yellow stars line the streets right now and Im awaiting fireworks but its raining now.. Bizarre though isnt it? America's atrocity of a war is far more recent yet there isnt nearly as much ill will as the Irish towards the British.
    Yes ..it's a strange one ok . I guess that the whole 800 years of British rule is the only thing some have to hold onto,perhaps in that it gives a sense of national identity of ''what we came out from'' and never forget it .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

RADIUS wrote: »
    The only symbol of Ireland I would wear is the Harp crest with the blue or green background. This represents the Ireland who's history I am proud of. All other symbols of Ireland are too divisive for me, Including the tri-colour.

I would not wear the tri-colour because for me it represents IRA, and fenianism which I don't agree with, I also don't like how the North is represented as Orange as it is so much than that.

The Harp is the only consistant and all inclusive symbol of Ireland and the Irish that pervades history.

Interesting post, but you won't win too many fans here, not that you're trying to :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

Nice of you to bring up negatives about the tricolour but not the Union Jack. Many Loyalists "fought" and killed for that flag, that's not in your thoughts at all?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭gobnaitolunacy

Here is a Fenian flag...with a harp...

http://www.rte.ie/news/2010/1113/294392-fenian/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭Paramite Pie

gurramok wrote: »
    We have an ongoing conflict with those who identify as British here, not American. Whether you like it or not, we share a disputed border with NI, there will always be identity issues with regards whether one identifies as British or Irish.

The border is only 60 miles away from Dublin, perhaps you should wander over that way to help you understand.

There is no disputed border with NI. In 1998 we voted to remove our vague claim to the Northern counties from our constitution. The border is democratically recognised by our government and our people. It's entirely up to the people of NI to choose their identity.

And what conflict? I've never been involved with terrorism.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭Kold

Yes ..it's a strange one ok . I guess that the whole 800 years of British rule is the only thing some have to hold onto,perhaps in that it gives a sense of national identity of ''what we came out from'' and never forget it .

Proximity probably also.

gurramok wrote: »
    Nice of you to bring up negatives about the tricolour but not the Union Jack. Many Loyalists "fought" and killed for that flag, that's not in your thoughts at all?

Just because I didn't bring up the Union flag doesn't mean I don't have any thoughts on it. Its so easy to attack the Union flag, and I think it's been done often enough already.

I wanted to highlight the seldom talked about Harp as an inclusive symbol of Ireland and that ever changing definition of Irishness that includes the Irish, old English, Celtic Britons, Scots, Normans, Vikings and other north Germanic groups that make up our rich cultural and genetic heritage.

Here is a Fenian flag...with a harp...

http://www.rte.ie/news/2010/1113/294392-fenian/

The harp predates all that stuff, fenians would hijack any symbol if they thought it would lend them legitimacy.

Proximity probably also.

To close and still considered foreign by many when we have much better relations now and have more in common with each other than any other country in Europe .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

The harp predates all that stuff, fenians would hijack any symbol if they thought it would lend them legitimacy.

Did some Fenian wreck your cabbage patch?

• Registered Users Posts: 846 ✭✭✭Gambas

To close and still considered foreign by many when we have much better relations now and have more in common with each other than any other country in Europe .

Closer than say, the Czech republic and Slovakia? Or Italy and San Marino? Or Norway and Sweden? etc..

No need to over-egg it. Yes there is a very strong common cultural and historical bond, but there is nothing exceptional about it.

Gambas wrote: »
    Closer than say, the Czech republic and Slovakia? Or Italy and San Marino? Or Norway and Sweden? etc..

No need to over-egg it. Yes there is a very strong common cultural and historical bond, but there is nothing exceptional about it.
    Probably more closer to the Scots ,Northern Irish and Welsh than any of that lot above to, if only because of our proximity and native Gaeilge languages .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

There is no disputed border with NI. In 1998 we voted to remove our vague claim to the Northern counties from our constitution. The border is democratically recognised by our government and our people. It's entirely up to the people of NI to choose their identity.

And what conflict? I've never been involved with terrorism.

Yes there is a disputed border, the GFA says it cannot be changed unless majority in NI want it. Thing is alot of people North and South vote for parties that want it changed and some people up north don't want it changed. That's a dispute.

Didn't know you were involved in terrorism, care to elaborate? ;) :P

• Advertisement

Exceptional? These islands share a common culturel and genetic relationship that goes beyond mere proximity.

There is an exceptional link. Ireland was originally populated by people from Britian. The Irish and Scots were all simply called Scotti by the Romans. We were and are almost genetically identical to the Welsh and Scottish.

Anyway, it's clear that there are many here that won't let history, science or facts get in the way of bigotry.

Probably more closer to the Scots ,Northern Irish and Welsh than any of that lot above to, if only because of our proximity and native Gaeilge languages .

Hardly. Proximity - in every case the two countries mentioned have a common border. Languages - All of the above have languages that are much closer than Irish and Welsh and at least as similar as Irish and Scots Gaelic.

(Course if you'd ignored the fact that only a tiny fraction of the people in Britain and Ireland speak Welsh, Irish or Scots Gaelic, and instead pointed to the other 99% who speak a common language - English, you might have had a point :) )

• Registered Users Posts: 1,247 ✭✭✭Steven81

Remember about 15 years ago a lad coming into school in a Rangers away jersey, was ripped off him and he got a few slaps, he just liked the jersey without knowing the reaction.

He learned his lesson

Hardly. Proximity - in every case the two countries mentioned have a common border. Languages - All of the above have languages that are much closer than Irish and Welsh and at least as similar as Irish and Scots Gaelic.
    I Guess that more Irish,English ,Welsh ,Scots people are familiar with each other traditions and Languages .The Italians for one at least share our love of Rugby
    (Course if you'd ignored the fact that only a tiny fraction of the people in Britain and Ireland speak Welsh, Irish or Scots Gaelic, and instead pointed to the other 99% who speak a common language - English, you might have had a point :)

Why would I need to point out something that is so obious to 99% of those same English speaking people ? Most people in these islands know that Gaelic is the second language in those country's ....no need to state the obious .

Radius followed up my post and pretty much said same as myself now to :cool:

Exceptional? These islands share a common culturel and genetic relationship that goes beyond mere proximity.

There is an exceptional link. Ireland was originally populated by people from Britian. The Irish and Scots were all simply called Scotti by the Romans. We were and are almost genetically identical to the Welsh and Scottish.

Anyway, it's clear that there are many here that won't let history, science or facts get in the way of bigotry.

You're right about the anti-British sentiment. But incorrect in thinking that's where I'm coming from. On one level I see Britain and Ireland as a cultural unit of sorts - undeniable IMO. However, your picture above is overly simplistic. (Your genetic claims are stretched far too far and the Romans were referring to the Irish colonists of the West of Scotland, and not the Picts who eventually were subsumed into the original Scotland)

Anyway, there histories of Britain and Ireland are very much intertwined - that seems to be your point - but you can find the same thing virtually anywhere you look in Europe. Not recognising that means you're doing the same as the people who think that there is something inherently wrong with having a union jack on the tag of their underpants.

Steven81 wrote: »
    Remember about 15 years ago a lad coming into school in a Rangers away jersey, was ripped off him and he got a few slaps, he just liked the jersey without knowing the reaction.

He learned his lesson

Learned that some of his school mates were knuckle-draggers?

Radius followed up my post and pretty much said same as myself now to :cool:

Well that's ok so. You must be right. :)

Learned that some of his school mates were knuckle-draggers?

Who probably failed history :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,255 ✭✭✭getz

facts say different,there are over 400,000 irish born citizens living in britain[and that increasing every day]and there are six million with at least one irish born parent,that doesent include those of us with a irish grandparents.and it maybe of interest to you to know,that the worlds irish heritage center is in manchester,not exceptional,my god

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 799 ✭✭✭Logical_Bear

Steven81 wrote: »

He learned his lesson
    maybe it was to stop him from watching a sh1te league?

Advertisement