Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Would you wear clothing with the British flag on it?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

fryup wrote: »
    Liam Gallagher has a strong irish background yet he has no hang up about it

He is British.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

ejmaztec wrote: »
    Who did the Irish oppress?:confused:

:pac:

Leprachauns and the Spud People. Its not well known that the Famine was the result of a successful revolt.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

Nodin wrote: »
    You going to tell us how we were all better off before we left the union and the good oul days and the way the post was delivered quicker yada da yada.....?

And I suppose you're about to launch into a tirade about how the North of Ireland is a failed political entity .....:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,958 ✭✭✭delthedriver

They are symbols current in Britain, but they have no association with the activities of the British state in the minds of the majority of people. A burger is associated with America, but not the American state. You don't accuse somebody eating one of endorsing US backed death squads in El Salvador in the 80's...

(I've never seen one either, but I presume they exist)

It must be Easter! The Shinners have come out to play !:D

And I suppose you're about to launch into a tirade about how the North of Ireland is a failed political entity .....:D

Why would I do that in a thread where its not been mentioned....?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,255 ✭✭✭getz

You going to tell us how we were all better off before we left the union and the good oul days and the way the post was delivered quicker yada da yada.....?
    the good old days are now,a bankrupt state,that has to educate its young for export,and under the thumb of a religion,yep you are better off outside the union,

It must be Easter! The Shinners have come out to play !:D

I'm a year round Bunny myself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

SeanFxx wrote: »
    Would you wear clothing with the British flag on it?

Could swear I saw an near identical thread to this one a year or so ago :cool:

And Yes, I would (and I have worn) clothes/shoes with a British flag on, and why the hell not . . . . .

getz wrote: »
    the good old days are now,a bankrupt state,that has to educate its young for export,and under the thumb of a religion,yep you are better off outside the union,

Consistent as ever. They had an indian version of you on the 1st season of 'Goodness Gracious Me', I seem to remember.

I'm a year round Bunny myself.

I have no doubt you are!:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,464 ✭✭✭Celly Smunt

He is British.

but his family are Irish,that must mean that he is the best Irish person ever

pmcmahon wrote: »
    but his family are Irish,that must mean that he is the best Irish person ever

.....no, my mate paddy was in a far better Beatles cover band.

LordSutch wrote: »

And Yes, I would (and I have worn) clothes/shoes with a British flag on, and why the hell not . . . . .

It is the usual SF entertainment at Easter time!

Nothing else to do!:cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

LordSutch wrote: »

The year before that, and the one before that to. These threads are like the rain , you know it's due to come around again soon .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭desertcircus

I have a Team GB cycling jersey, does that count?

It is the usual SF entertainment at Easter time!

Nothing else to do!:cool:

Whats wrong with ye? Did a shinner get a bigger choccie egg than you did?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

Cant wait for this time in three years, craic be mighty here...

realies wrote: »
    Cant wait for this time in three years, craic be mighty here...

Seein as FG are in, all attention will be focused on the thread discussing where they apologised for 1916.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭Paramite Pie

DylanII wrote: »
    I think it looks cool. I would feel weird wearing it around Dublin though.

Yeah, that awkward moment when you realize that the United Kingdom has a cooler looking flag than us... dammit O_o
    SeanFxx wrote: »
    Irish - a young student.

Does this person have an English mammy or daddy? Cos that would justify it. Or maybe they simply like it.
    deccurley wrote: »
    No. The butcher's apron is ranked somewhere alongside the nazi flag as regards having it on my person.

So do you think that Britain should scrap it's flag then? What do you think of people wearing it in the UK? It's not like they're supporting oppression by wearing it?
    baz2009 wrote: »
    It's really not at all hypocritical.:confused:
    English football club jerseys don't represent years of oppression.

The modern UK is very different than the historic one. I doubt you'd find many British people today who support what happened in Ireland throughout the years.

All the people involved in that are long dead. The Union Jack belongs to the people of Britain today, not the past.
    baz2009 wrote: »
    No, because they didn't oppress Ireland for hundreds of years. Is it really that hard to comprehend?

What do you think of an African American wearing the US flag despite all the slavery/oppression they faced?

Or a German flag. Dublin was bombed in WWII and Operation Green was the planned invasion.
    somefeen wrote: »
    I live in Scotland, I have a bright orange hoody and I don't even feel comfortable wearing that around here.
    Wouldn't have a problem wearing it around Dublin, Cork or pretty much anywhere bar here and Northern Ireland.

I have bright orange pants which I probably should never have worn anywhere... people stare....O_o

• Registered Users Posts: 3,221 ✭✭✭Greentopia

I've just taken off something with a tiny (~1' long) Union Flag stitched on the side-my Subzero thermal neck warmer.

I wear it going out for a run in cold weather like this.

Couldn't care less what flag it has on it, it keeps me nice and warm :)

I wouldn't wear anything with a large flag on it though like a t-shirt regardless of what country's flag it is, it just looks tasteless IMO.

• Advertisement

Latchy wrote: »
    The year before that, and the one before that to. These threads are like the rain , you know it's due to come around again soon .

Guess it is like their build up to 2016?:rolleyes:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭gallag

Why are some irish so insecure? There are so many threads like this it a bit sad really.

Whats wrong with ye? Did a shinner get a bigger choccie egg than you did?

Not at all! My Easter egg came from Fortnum & Mason. Can't imagine any self respecting Shinner eating one of those!;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

Latchy wrote: »
    I remember somebody bought me a pair of Nike trainers with a tiny union jack on the sides but did it stop me wearing them ? ...did it fcuk .

Inspirational.

That prick needs a good kicking regardless of what flag he's wrapped in.
    Cosmicfox wrote: »
    There were Jessie J tops in pennies awhile back where she had a union flag for lipstick and I saw a fair few teenage girls wearing them. I don't think it's a big deal.

Ah Jessie J... the true Queen of all our hearts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 396 ✭✭Sigourney

Not at all! My Easter egg came from Fortnum & Mason. Can't imagine any self respecting Shinner eating one of those!;)

They make the best Christmas puddings.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭stoneill

I feckin hate clothes with slogans, trademarks, names and pictures, flags and other shíte on them. I just want clothes with nothing else added.

Seein as FG are in, all attention will be focused on the thread discussing where they apologised for 1916.

At least the Shinners won't be in , as you put it.

Sure what was 1916, other than a skirmish in the GPO, by a group of bully boys
    and chancres who had nothing else to do at Easter. Probably pissed off because they did not get an easter egg between them .All they did was frighten the store owners their customers and disrupt trade in Dublin's City Centre.

Pass around the Easter eggs!

stoneill wrote: »
    I feckin hate clothes with slogans, trademarks, names and pictures, flags and other shíte on them. I just want clothes with nothing else added.

Shop in Primark, !:cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

At least the Shinners won't be in , as you put it.

Sure what was 1916, other than a skirmish in the GPO, by a group of bully boys
    and chancres who had nothing else to do at Easter. Probably pissed off because they did not get an easter egg between them .All they did was frighten the store owners their customers and disrupt trade in Dublin's City Centre.

Pass around the Easter eggs!

Something to read while eating your yokes ;)

http://www.google.ie/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=easter%20rising&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&ved=0CC8QFjAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fen.wikipedia.org%2Fwiki%2FEaster_Rising&ei=patUUbP2N4e3hQeltYCYAw&usg=AFQjCNFIY30zF0tAERBaqRqMo1hoI6MF6g&bvm=bv.44442042,d.ZG4

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32 bbm1

I remember hearing an interview with him saying that he and liam were asked to write and sing a song for one of the english world club teams but said they wont because they were Irish. So he obviously has some sort of hang up about being called British.

Advertisement