Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Would you wear clothing with the British flag on it?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,233 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

awec wrote: »
    Given the amount of Man United, Liverpool, Chelsea, Celtic tops etc I see about the place I have to come to the conclusion that the majority of people on this island are not bothered in the slightest by British symbols.

Wouldn't wear any of those jerseys either. Not cos of "800 years", because I don't want to look like a knacker :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭john why

Chinasea wrote: »
    Get over-yourself and your 600 years ago hangups.

Would ye be so000 upset if it was an American flag, Spanish flag etc. The whole nationalist things sucks.

I have built a bridge, time you did.

800 years ffs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

Guess it is like their build up to 2016?:rolleyes:
    Venting at the British will take the heat of the Irish government ...for the day that's in it at least
    Inspirational.

Naw....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

At least the Shinners won't be in , as you put it.

Sure what was 1916, other than a skirmish in the GPO, by a group of bully boys
    and chancres who had nothing else to do at Easter. Probably pissed off because they did not get an easter egg between them .All they did was frighten the store owners their customers and disrupt trade in Dublin's City Centre.

Pass around the Easter eggs!

Back under your bridge

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭Conbhar

No I wouldn't. For the same reason that ya wouldn't see to many English people wearing an Irish shirt.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭plannerscanner

Must admit that the Union flag is one of the more attractive flags out there. Whether people like it or not its 'cool'. I have a pair of jeans with Union flags on the fly buttons....don't know if I am being pro for anti flag for that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,958 ✭✭✭delthedriver

Nodin wrote: »
    Back under your bridge

Bridges and culverts were a Shinner Speciality.:D
    Blowing them up that is when some innocent person was driving across..
    Don't mention bridges to me!:mad:

Bridges and culverts were a Shinner Speciality.:D
    Blowing them up that is when some innocent person was driving across..
    Don't mention bridges to me!:mad:

...you seem really butt-hurt over something. What is it?

• Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭yohan the great

For some reason that someone here will probably know the inter Milan jersey has an English flag on the back of it and I have one of them

• Registered Users Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭Paramite Pie

gallag wrote: »
    Why are some irish so insecure? There are so many threads like this it a bit sad really.

Yeah, I'm surprised it got a thread all of it's own.

I used to wear Reebok runners, never bothered me having a little flag on it. Now I just think brand names are over priced.

Oh recession, how thou hadst open'd mine eyes...

I do agree that with some others that I wouldn't wear any large national flag from any country most of the time... unless I was in another country during a national holiday or something.:)

• Advertisement

Nodin wrote: »
    ...you seem really butt-hurt over something. What is it?

Enjoy your Easter , whatever you may get up to.:)

I'll return to eating my Fortnum and Mason Easter Egg , as approved by HRH!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭SparkySpitfire

I seriously have to stop reading these threads.

It's giving me an absolute rage-induced headache at how moronic and childlike some of these posts are.

There's some very obnoxious people around, enough so that I'm now unfollowing, thanks for the headache.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

Yeah, I'm surprised it got a thread all of it's own.

I used to wear Reebok runners, never bothered me having a little flag on it. Now I just think brand names are over priced.

Oh recession, how thou hadst open'd mine eyes...

I do agree that with some others that I wouldn't wear any large national flag from any country most of the time... unless I was in another country during a national holiday or something.:)

:D Aah your only newish here just await and see :D;):pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

I seriously have to stop reading these threads.

It's giving me an absolute rage-induced headache at how moronic and childlike some of these posts are.

There's some very obnoxious people around, enough so that I'm now unfollowing, thanks for the headache.

Looking at to much snow on the ground can give one a headache to, that's why I don't do it. just saying.

Just to turn the thread on its head!
    :confused:
    How many people will wear the Chuckys favourite emblem over Easter?:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,406 ✭✭✭StaticNoise

I would have no problem wearing one, but it is the muppets that are hung up on the past, and who can't look towards the future that cause the issue. The same goes in reverse.

We have come a long way, so let's keep moving forward. There is a great partnership between the nations, and it can only get better if we come together and move forward. The little brats on both sides hold things back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 653 ✭✭✭Aphex

Nimrod 7 wrote: »
    I wouldn't wear it simply because I'd more than likely get killed for walking around wearing a Union Jack in North Dublin. And no I'm not British either.

If someone did wear it, I'd have no problem with it.

I'm sure there are quite a few people on the Southside that would have a problem with it too. That Northside crap is getting ridiculous at this stage.

Me, being from a place considered to be a very rough area on the Northside wouldn't have a problem with it at all. I actually quite like the English national soccer jersey. I wouldn't wear something with a Union Jack on it simply because I don't like the design.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,233 ✭✭✭ceegee

For some reason that someone here will probably know the inter Milan jersey has an English flag on the back of it and I have one of them

The flag of Milan is the same as the English flag.
    Its part of the AC Milan crest as well

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭Aquagakka

Absolutely not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 393 ✭✭kingofslaves

Interesting info from the wiki page for the rising:

The British Army reported casualties of 116 dead, 368 wounded and nine missing. Sixteen policemen died, and 29 were wounded. Rebel and civilian casualties were 318 dead and 2,217 wounded. The Volunteers and ICA recorded 64 killed in action, but otherwise Irish casualties were not divided into rebels and civilians. All 16 police fatalities and 22 of the British soldiers killed were Irishmen.

In at least two incidents, at Jacobs and Stephens Green, the Volunteers and Citizen Army shot dead civilians who were trying to attack them or dismantle their barricades. Elsewhere, they hit civilians with their rifle butts to drive them off.

So it wasn't all the English's fault. There were bad things done on both sides. But I bought a t shirt in penneys when I first came here 7 years ago with the english coat of arms on it, still wear it now. Also have you noticed it's above the entrance to the Bank Of Ireland on Westmoreland Street opposite trinity ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭yohan the great

ceegee wrote: »
    The flag of Milan is the same as the English flag.
    Its part of the AC Milan crest as well
    Thanks I was wondering what it was about

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

There is a great partnership between the nations, and it can only get better if we come together and move forward.

That would be great if it could be a real partnership. The problem is, you see, the pro-British faux-moderates who turn up on these threads internally despise all things that distinguish us Irish as a separate people from the British.
    To Ireland, I. Our separated fortune shall keep us both the safer. Where we are, there’s daggers in men’s smiles. The near in blood, The nearer bloody.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,327 ✭✭✭Madam_X

I don't think I'd wear an item of clothing with a conspicuous union jack on it - not because I take issue with it for political reasons, but because of the negative attention it could attract. I'd wear an item of clothing with a small one no problem if I liked the item of clothing.

I don't have an issue with the union jack - it doesn't make me think of oppression (unless the image is placed in that context, in a historical documentary or whatever - in relation to British colonialism from a long-gone era, or loyalism), it just makes me think of mod culture.

Some of us aren't hung up on British imperialism from long before we were born, whether others like it or not - it's our opinion and we can't help having it. And that doesn't make me e.g. anti northern nationalist - I'm just wired to live for the present, without forgetting certain events like e.g. Bloody Sunday, but I can disassociate those events from the union jack. There are other elements to the likes of Bloody Sunday that I would deem far more worth getting angered by.

And I do think it's hypocritical to consume and enjoy lots of British culture, and even live in Britain, while simultaneously feeling animosity towards Britain. Ditto American culture/America. To me, the British flag represents an extremely diverse country, comprising many many Irish - rather than representing a bygone era.

I remember hearing about the Gallaghers saying they considered themselves British as well as Irish, so I'd say stuff about putting their Irishness first was just for their Irish audience.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,752 ✭✭✭pablomakaveli

That would be great if it could be a real partnership. The problem is, you see, the pro-British faux-moderates who turn up on these threads internally despise all things that distinguish us Irish as a separate people from the British.

If you think being anti-British defines us as Irish then you have a very false view of our identity.

The narrow minded view of what Irishness is not and should not be defined by bigoted republicans.

I dont think that has anything to do with England. St.Georges Cross is also the flag of Milan and as well as Genoa.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

If you think being anti-British defines us as Irish then you have a very false view of our identity.

The narrow minded view of what Irishness is not and should not be defined by bigoted republicans.

Why did you quote me?

Interesting info from the wiki page for the rising:

The British Army reported casualties of 116 dead, 368 wounded and nine missing. Sixteen policemen died, and 29 were wounded. Rebel and civilian casualties were 318 dead and 2,217 wounded. The Volunteers and ICA recorded 64 killed in action, but otherwise Irish casualties were not divided into rebels and civilians. All 16 police fatalities and 22 of the British soldiers killed were Irishmen.

In at least two incidents, at Jacobs and Stephens Green, the Volunteers and Citizen Army shot dead civilians who were trying to attack them or dismantle their barricades. Elsewhere, they hit civilians with their rifle butts to drive them off.

So it wasn't all the English's fault. There were bad things done on both sides. But I bought a t shirt in penneys when I first came here 7 years ago with the english coat of arms on it, still wear it now. Also have you noticed it's above the entrance to the Bank Of Ireland on Westmoreland Street opposite trinity ?

Looks like it is back under your bridge Nodin!:)

Why did you quote me?

Because i was responding to your post?

Because i was responding to your post?

Your post doesn't refer to anything he stated.

• Advertisement

Looks like it is back under your bridge Nodin!:)

Theres some point there, under the whinging and smiley faces....maybe you could just unveil it and end the mystery....

Advertisement