Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Would you wear clothing with the British flag on it?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,838 ✭✭✭✭3hn2givr7mx1sc

Chinasea wrote: »
    Get over-yourself and your 600 years ago hangups.

Would ye be so000 upset if it was an American flag, Spanish flag etc. The whole nationalist things sucks.

I have built a bridge, time you did.

No, because they didn't oppress Ireland for hundreds of years. Is it really that hard to comprehend?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,958 ✭✭✭delthedriver

Yes! Why not?:)

• Registered Users Posts: 16,369 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

fryup wrote: »
    those boys look gay

ya right :rolleyes:

Try harder next time, instead of using an example of Eirigi burning a flag.

Is that really the best you can come up with?

• Registered Users Posts: 986 ✭✭✭joe stodge

Nothing says class like a flag on a t-shirt.

No wait, it looks cheap as fook.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

I remember somebody bought me a pair of Nike trainers with a tiny union jack on the sides but did it stop me wearing them ? ...did it fcuk . I'm not that small minded .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,255 ✭✭✭getz

baz2009 wrote: »
    No, because they didn't oppress Ireland for hundreds of years. Is it really that hard to comprehend?
    you must hate everything british,do not watch UK TV,english football,shop in british supermarkets,speak only irish,next time you look out of your door and ask where has everyone gone,i will tell you ,to the UK to live and work,at least most irish have moved on and dont live back in history,

• Registered Users Posts: 16,369 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Chinasea wrote: »
    Get over-yourself and your 600 years ago hangups.

Would ye be so000 upset if it was an American flag, Spanish flag etc. The whole nationalist things sucks.

I have built a bridge, time you did.

I'm sure you will be able to buy a cheap house on the Shankill road seeing as you think the "whole nationalist thing sucks".

You'll fit right in.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,627 ✭✭✭Lawrence1895

I actually do, it's a New Zealand rugby polo shirt :D

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

Liam Gallagher has a strong irish background yet he has no hang up about it

• Registered Users Posts: 7,065 ✭✭✭Fighting Irish

I wouldn't give two fucks

• Advertisement
  • Administrators Posts: 53,487 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Given the amount of Man United, Liverpool, Chelsea, Celtic tops etc I see about the place I have to come to the conclusion that the majority of people on this island are not bothered in the slightest by British symbols.

• Registered Users Posts: 620 ✭✭✭MomijiHime

If I liked the design, then yes, I would. I got a GB Olympics Links bracelet in January and wore it because it was free and a cute bracelet.

getz wrote: »
    you must hate everything british,do not watch UK TV,english football,shop in british supermarkets,speak only irish,next time you look out of your door and ask where has everyone gone,i will tell you ,to the UK to live and work,at least most irish have moved on and dont live back in history,

Well that's just retarded logic altogether. In fact, the majority of my family are English. I could get a British passport if I so wished. I just don't agree with Irish people wearing a symbol so closely linked to hundreds of years of Irish oppression. Again, I ask, is that so hard to comprehend?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

awec wrote: »
    Given the amount of Man United, Liverpool, Chelsea, Celtic tops etc I see about the place I have to come to the conclusion that the majority of people on this island are not bothered in the slightest by British symbols.

I'm reasonably sure that the country was never occupied by leyton orient...

Try harder next time, instead of using an example of Eirigi burning a flag.

Is that really the best you can come up with?

hold on a second, they're irish aren't they??? you said that irish people don't burn the union jack:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭SparkySpitfire

SeanFxx wrote: »
    Would you wear clothes with the British flag on it?

I seen a photo yesterday on facebook, of a top someone bought, it has a huge uk flag on the back. I personally wouldn't touch it....

https://fbcdn-sphotos-h-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-frc1/733989_10200127016110555_1713967780_n.jpg

My boyfriend bought that EXACT hoodie, in the same colour last week. :pac: Myself and his mother told him to bring it back because the flag was awful looking but it took his college mates taking the piss out of it for him to bring it back. :rolleyes: At least it's fun to say "I told you so" :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭Miss Lockhart

I don't agree with baz but I find your post more full of bullsh!t tbh. None of those things listed represent the british state. And as for your hyperbole regarding working in the UK, it's condescending attitudes like yours that most british people I know work hard to distance themselves from.

Personally I wouldn't choose to buy an item with the british flag but I wouldn't not wear something with a small flag on it if I was given it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,255 ✭✭✭getz

Well that's just retarded logic altogether. In fact, the majority of my family are English. I could get a British passport if I so wished. I just don't agree with Irish people wearing a symbol so closely linked to hundreds of years of Irish oppression. Again, I ask, is that so hard to comprehend?
    so you dont like your english family,tell us more

• Administrators Posts: 53,487 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Nodin wrote: »
    I'm reasonably sure that the country was never occupied by leyton orient...
    Those are all British symbols.

(I've never seen a Leyton Orient shirt mind! :P )

Not even going to bother with you.

• Advertisement

awec wrote: »
    Those are all British symbols.

(I've never seen a Leyton Orient shirt mind! :P )

They are symbols current in Britain, but they have no association with the activities of the British state in the minds of the majority of people. A burger is associated with America, but not the American state. You don't accuse somebody eating one of endorsing US backed death squads in El Salvador in the 80's...

(I've never seen one either, but I presume they exist)

You going to tell us how we were all better off before we left the union and the good oul days and the way the post was delivered quicker yada da yada.....?

• Registered Users Posts: 955 ✭✭✭Scruffles

Oryx wrote: »
    Its a cultural no-no. We sell product that comes with a little union jack sewn into the seams, we always have to cut them off the garments, as people object to them!

Its not just us. The scottish have a problem with the union jack as well.
    so do the english-for any country;being called britain or UK strips away our individual diversity.
    for example many people;all over the world do not recognise england as a individual country represented by the saint georges cross flag,instead its always refered to as 'britain' and represented by the union jack,and those of us who live here are assumed to be royal lovers/supporters,yet scotland, NI and wales are so often allowed to be diverse and operate under their own identity.

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭Cosmicfox

There were Jessie J tops in pennies awhile back where she had a union flag for lipstick and I saw a fair few teenage girls wearing them. I don't think it's a big deal.

Nodin wrote: »
    They are symbols current in Britain, but they have no association with the activities of the British state in the minds of the majority of people.

well going by that logic...should the irish tricolour be associated with IRA terrorism??..considering all the times the tricolour was draped on the coffins of IRA men

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

you must hate everything british,do not watch UK TV,english football,shop in british supermarkets,speak only irish,next time you look out of your door and ask where has everyone gone,i will tell you ,to the UK to live and work,at least most irish have moved on and don't live back in history,

Would you wear clothes/shoes/items with the German national flag on it ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,657 ✭✭✭somefeen

I live in Scotland, I have a bright orange hoody and I don't even feel comfortable wearing that around here.
    Wouldn't have a problem wearing it around Dublin, Cork or pretty much anywhere bar here and Northern Ireland.
    Wouldn't wear a British flag anywhere though. No problem with the UK or its people but I have a problem with wearing the flag of a different country.

well going by that logic...should the irish tricolour be associated with IRA terrorism??..considering all the times the tricolour was draped on the coffins of IRA men

I don't see why it should be, given that its been used thus a relatively few times over a quite short span.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,994 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

Who did the Irish oppress?:confused:

:pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭Miss Lockhart

No it shouldn't. It's the flag of this state. The fact it is sometimes hijacked by illegal terrorists is neither here nor there - I won't be made to feel ashamed of my national flag because of illegal terrorists.

Advertisement