Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SF to refund property tax

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,274 ✭✭✭darkhorse

ardmacha wrote: »
    With the exception of bins, the services provided North and South are not very different and the property tax in the 26 counties is half that in the North.

Yeah, starting off.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,124 ✭✭✭wolfpawnat

GRMA wrote: »
    You have to laugh at this crap.

They've been against it from the start, if they got in and didnt get rid of it you'd be calling them liars.

If they got in and did not change it, they would be as hypocritical as the idiots before them, and the idiots before them again, because well, that is what they would be.

It is popular vote hunting.

If you vote me in, I'll give you x,y and z. How often has anyone in politics kept their promises?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 343 ✭✭Mahogany

Every other country in europe has a property tax (open to correction) and we are coming into line.

Yes but ours doesn't take income into account, that's the vital point here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,274 ✭✭✭darkhorse

wolfpawnat wrote: »

If you vote me in, I'll give you x,y and z. How often has anyone in politics kept their promises?

Well, we really have nothing to compare to FF/FF/Labour up to now as regards of keeping promises.

darkhorse wrote: »
    WRONG.

Really? You don't support SF by any chance, with your fantastic grasp of economics?

I lol. But, inside I cry.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,864 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

Mahogany wrote: »
    Yes but ours doesn't take income into account, that's the vital point here.

The SF version in the North doesn't allow you not to pay if you are poor or on a low income. You have to come to some arrangement. That's the vital point there.

http://www.nidirect.gov.uk/what-happens-if-i-cant-pay-my-rate-bill

In England if you are poor you can apply for Council Tax Benefit to help you pay. But you have to pay. That's the vital point there.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 hare

With the amount of houses the belfast leadership own theres a nice few quid to be earned.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,091 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

They just say whatever they think people want. Being in power would be the end of them when they can't do their fantastical claims. Look at NI

• Closed Accounts Posts: 343 ✭✭Mahogany

]

In England if you are poor you can apply for Council Tax Benefit to help you pay. But you have to pay. That's the vital point there.

And there's nothing like that here, thats the vital point!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,417 ✭✭✭GRMA

They just say whatever they think people want. Being in power would be the end of them when they can't do their fantastical claims. Look at NI
    Yes lets.

There is power sharing.

There is no fiscal power, they can't touch taxes or anything, they are controlled in England.

You were saying?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 62 ✭✭mewithoutyou

Wouldnt mind it t be honest cause your gettin your money back at the end of the day, its like savins really if ye think about it, ya know

• Registered Users Posts: 9,370 ✭✭✭Phoebas

Is there anyone on here who actually believe that SF would refund the property tax? Anyone?

Also, does the refund include interest and penalty charges? 'Cos if it doesn't, the prudent thing to do would be to pay it on time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,380 ✭✭✭✭Banjo String

Every other country in europe has a property tax (open to correction) and we are coming into line.

This 'everyone else in Europe does it' thing is starting to wear thin with me.

If we are to copy 'European models' perhaps we should start slashing PS numbers and salaries to match others in Europe too?

Maybe we should adopt the tobacco/alcohol taxation policies of some European countries while we're at it?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭Mongfinder General

Phoebas wrote: »
    Is there anyone on here who actually believe that SF would refund the property tax? Anyone?

Also, does the refund include interest and penalty charges? 'Cos if it doesn't, the prudent thing to do would be to pay it on time.

They'd have no problem refunding the property tax. You see, it's ever so easy. There are machines called printing presses. They can print these pieces of paper called magic Irish Punts...

• Registered Users Posts: 51,652 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

SamHall wrote: »
    This 'everyone else in Europe does it' thing is starting to wear thin with me.

If we are to copy 'European models' perhaps we should start slashing PS numbers and salaries to match others in Europe too?

Maybe we should adopt the tobacco/alcohol taxation policies of some European countries while we're at it?

And scrap the USC. They don't pay that in Europe. Their VRT is very low too.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,068 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

I believe they'd do it just out of sheer spite. It'd probably cost more to implement a mass refund than what it did to collect the thing in the first place.

Anyone that has paid it already doesn't deserve to get their money back anyway, and should be forced to pay it for the rest of their lives.

Next up will be FF, who may stop short of offering a refund, but may promise an abolition of the tax, along with any penalties attached to it.

(Which is what I believe SF should have done too)

I for one am willing to wait it out, penalties/revenue audits...... Gamble well worth it imo.

FF are already riding high in the opinion polls atm, a property tax abolition promise might be the 'ace up the sleeve' to get them back to where they want to be.

I have a suggestion for people who don't want to take a press statement as sufficient proof. When election time comes have a piece of paper prepared with the amount of tax you are due to be refunded. Include a statement to be signed by the SF candidate that he/she will personally ensure that you will get your money back if SF are elected into government. Hand it to the SF canvassers and tell them that the candidate has one week to return it to you signed. Tell them that if this does not happen you will be contacting the media and going on After Hours to let everyone know.

The opposition parties have realized from the opinion polls that about 65-70% of households are against the LPT and are prepared to drop it if the people back them in the next election it seems.

If they do drop it then they will have to come up with an alternative. What that is going to be should scare us as it could actually be worse. We need to know what their alternatives are before we vote.

Enough lies were told at the last General Election. If we fall for false promises again then we deserve what we get.

I want rid of this Property Tax but I want to know what I will get instead.

I have a suggestion for people who don't want to take a press statement as sufficient proof. When election time comes have a piece of paper prepared with the amount of tax you are due to be refunded. Include a statement to be signed by the SF candidate that he/she will personally ensure that you will get your money back if SF are elected into government. Hand it to the SF canvassers and tell them that the candidate has one week to return it to you signed. Tell them that if this does not happen you will be contacting the media and going on After Hours to let everyone know.

Why stop there?

When FG knock on the door, hand them an anti property tax statement they made as recently as 09, or remind them on the promise they made that the banks wouldnt get another red cent (I believe we're up to 20 billion since this promise)

Ditto with Labour and the various promises they made pre-election.
    I would like to hand E.G a few written statements he made before he got in to power.

As I'm sure would all the struggling families that got their child benefit cut, and as for the despicable way he knifed Roisin Shorthall in the back?

Working man party my eye.:cool:

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,225 ✭✭✭Yitzhak Rabin

Are people really that simple-minded??

I can't believe that people will vote for SF/IRA or FF on the promise of refunding or abolishing the Property Tax.

Its the same shinners and republicans who bang on about patriotism and selling the country to Frankfurt and other bollox. Yet they're willing to send the country back down the toilet by voting for populist economically silly policies. I knew that the Irish public were short-term thinkers, but I really didn't think their memories couldn't stretch back more than 3 years.

Why stop there?

When FG knock on the door, hand them an anti property tax statement they made as recently as 09, or remind them on the promise they made that the banks wouldnt get another red cent (I believe we're up to 20 billion since this promise)

Ditto with Labour and the various promises they made pre-election.
    I would like to hand E.G a few written statements he made before he got in to power.

As I'm sure would all the struggling families that got their child benefit cut, and as for the despicable way he knifed Roisin Shorthall in the back?

Working man party my eye.:cool:

I'm all for that. But the beauty of the SF proposal is that you can specify an exact amount of money that the candidate will promise in writing that you will be refunded. It's a bit more difficult with promises like extra Child Benefit or no increase in income tax for instance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,417 ✭✭✭GRMA

Are people really that simple-minded??

I can't believe that people will vote for SF/IRA or FF on the promise of refunding or abolishing the Property Tax.

Its the same shinners and republicans who bang on about patriotism and selling the country to Frankfurt and other bollox. Yet they're willing to send the country back down the toilet by voting for populist economically silly policies. I knew that the Irish public were short-term thinkers, but I really didn't think their memories can't stretch back more than 3 years.

Oh dear, mask slips once you say that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,362 ✭✭✭Sergeant

The SF strategists are a canny shower of chancers. They realise they've reached their threshold of support by waffling on about 'community activism' and 'taxing the rich'. They want to become FF and so need to throw a few policies out there that appease the middle ground. Wrap that up in that maudlin Republican bollocks they like to fire out (not too much though, no more Martin Ferris driving to Castlerea to pick up the killers of Jerry McCabe - that won't wash down South of the Border).

Paper thin stuff, but it seems to appeal to some folk.

After the next election someone will have to say. Property Tax. It hasn't gone away y'know.

I'm all for that. But the beauty of the SF proposal is that you can specify an exact amount of money that the candidate will promise in writing that you will be refunded. It's a bit more difficult with promises like extra Child Benefit or no increase in income tax for instance.

Where as the beauty of the current regime, is no one has a bloody clue what they'll be expected to pay, and no one can tell them what it is they'll recieve for their cash.

You keep referring to the tax in the North Dx hound, actually calling it an SF tax.
    The SF version in the North doesn't allow you not to pay if you are poor or on a low income. You have to come to some arrangement. That's the vital point there.

Would you care to put on this thread, for us all to read clearly:

• what services are included with the rates system?
    • who pays these rates (homeowners only, or tenants too)
    • who actually introduced the rates system
    • how long have they been in place
    • how long SF have been in the coalition Govt in the north

Where as the beauty of the current regime, is no one has a bloody clue what they'll be expected to pay, and no one can tell them what it is they'll recieve for their cash.

You keep referring to the tax in the North Dx hound, actually calling it an SF tax.

Would you care to put on this thread, for us all to read clearly:

• what services are included with the rates system?
    • who pays these rates (homeowners only, or tenants too)
    • who actually introduced the rates system
    • how long have they been in place
    • how long SF have been in the coalition Govt in the north

No. It's been done 500 times on the other threads which were shut down. This has become the new Property Tax thread and will probably suffer the same fate.

Hundreds of municipal / local / property taxes all over the world with hundreds of variations on what you pay and what you get. The common principle is that the amount you pay is usually linked to your ownership of a private residence and its value. We have had it in this country more years than not.

I had no difficulty at all in deciding which band my house is in.

No. It's been done 500 times on the other threads which were shut down. This has become the new Property Tax thread and will probably suffer the same fate.

Hundreds of municipal / local / property taxes all over the world with hundreds of variations on what you pay and what you get. The common principle is that the amount you pay is usually linked to your ownership of a private residence and its value. We have had it in this country more years than not.

Will you explain this bit please?
    What do we get for our money?

Ah but you see, some people uninformed as to what 'SF's Property tax' actually is, might get the wrong end of the stick from your constant (unsure if misleading intentionally or not) protrayal of what is provided with rates, who actually introduced them, and who actually controls them.

So by your refuasal to clarify and answer the couple of (very simple) questions I asked you to answer on thread now, leaves me with the conclusion that you may have an agenda/something to gain by your constant attempt at skewing others opinions.

I can only pray others reading this now go on to eduacte themselves as to
    what level of misinformation they're being fed by some on these threads.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,124 ✭✭✭wolfpawnat

darkhorse wrote: »
    Well, we really have nothing to compare to FF/FF/Labour up to now as regards of keeping promises.

Not in recent times, no. It would be interesting and as I have said, the could not be any worse than the liars we already have in. The worst they could do is lie as well.

Advertisement