Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SF to refund property tax

Options
  • 25-03-2013 2:49pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭

SF have come out and said they will refund property tax at some point in the future IF they get into government
    http://news.eircom.net/breakingnews/21062647/?view=Standard

What a load of baloney.

Very easy to say these things when not in power and even harder to do when in power.
    Where will the money come from to refund us? The Northern Bank :confused:

Every other country in europe has a property tax (open to correction) and we are coming into line.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,560 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

And the auction politics for the next election begins...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,117 ✭✭✭shanered

Sounds a bit more realistic then the 100,000 jobs and the rest promised by the current government.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,250 ✭✭✭✭Iwasfrozen

More populist crap from SF, oh well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,753 ✭✭✭davet82

I heard you'll also get a miniature Irish flag and a Mars bar too...

they've got my vote :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭fishy fishy

SF have come out and said they will refund property tax at some point in the future IF they get into government
    http://news.eircom.net/breakingnews/21062647/?view=Standard

What a load of baloney.

Very easy to say these things when not in power and even harder to do when in power.
    Where will the money come from to refund us? The Northern Bank :confused:

Every other country in europe has a property tax (open to correction) and we are coming into line.

easy fool a lot of the people. throw any jul crap at them and they believe it. they are on the verge of raiding personal accounts to keep themselves afloat and people are still believing their fables.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,124 ✭✭✭wolfpawnat

With their bandwagon hopping politics, if the in thing is to support the property tax next week (which I know it won't but anyway) They would be all for that. They are just going for the popular vote..... AGAIN!!!! It's all so predictable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,362 ✭✭✭Sergeant

Does this mean that Pearse Doherty's insufferable drone will be all over the airwaves for the next few days?

Time to charge my ipod.

Most of the morons over that side of the Dáil chamber have absolutely no real alternatives to what is currently in place, and they cannot realistically believe the bullshít they do put forward as alternatives.

More absolute gibberish and rubbish from the most economically illiterate party in the chamber.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

maybe they should consider telling families where their loved ones are buried as well

Sergeant wrote: »
    More absolute gibberish and rubbish from the most economically illiterate party in the chamber.

No one else seems to have done any better in all fairness!

I think we need a cull, the few good people in every party (optimistic, but they surely exist) kept, and everyone else just taking out and put to slaughter! No pensions!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭Technoprisoner

the difference being that the property tax in other country's pays for bins to be emptied and other services to be provided...what do we get for our property tax?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,982 ✭✭✭Caliden

WHAT ABOUT MY CHEESE??!

the difference being that the property tax in other country's pays for bins to be emptied and other services to be provided...what do we get for our property tax?

Scraps from the rubbish bins of our German and French overlords!

• Registered Users Posts: 33,336 ✭✭✭✭Penn

They should have stopped at "We'll abolish the property tax".

Saying they'll refund everyone is just a huge steaming pile of nonsense. And if anything, puts me off voting for them because it's increasingly clear they'll say anything to get into power without actually having a sensible plan to achieve anything they promise.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

Refunds here, Council tax in NI.

Will the real SF please stand up, please stand up.

maybe they should consider telling families where their loved ones are buried as well

And the UDF and British Army should take responsibility for their slaughtering of innocent Irish citizens too, if we are going to be throwing that particular statement around.

But it doesn't have anything to do with the property tax now does it? ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,723 ✭✭✭jam_mac_jam

Yeah and three wishes for every house...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭Itsdacraic

Is that you Enda?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

What's worrying is the twenty odd percent of the population that believe Sinn Fein are a credible alternative.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

Itsdacraic wrote: »
    Is that you Enda?

Inda, to you

MadsL wrote: »
    Refunds here, Council tax in NI.

Will the real SF please stand up, please stand up.

They can't, they don't know who they are anymore! Seriously hilarious though. "We oppose the Marie Stopes Clinic here in Belfast" next day in Leinster House "Abortions for all!" Like I said, going with for what they assume is the popular vote. It'll change like the weather

And now you have me singing that in my head!!!! :D

• Advertisement

What's worrying is the twenty odd percent of the population that believe Sinn Fein are a credible alternative.

Well everyone else has had a go and everything is still going tits up.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

wolfpawnat wrote: »
    And the UDF and British Army should take responsibility for their slaughtering of innocent Irish citizens too, if we are going to be throwing that particular statement around.

They should, but neither the UDF or the British Army are running in the Dáil elections so it's a moot point.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

Their property tax generally goes to local services right?

For us, it doesn't matter what the tax is called, it all gets thrown into the same bucket right?

So why have a property tax at all? Oh, to seem like they aren't increasing income tax or VAT or whatever...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,815 ✭✭✭Hannibal

and people in here call SF "economically illiterate" when the alternative is FG, Labour of FF have I presume to show themselves as being economically literate?? maybe the Green are the real alternative if this is the case

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,944 ✭✭✭✭4zn76tysfajdxp

Accusing Sinn Fein of being "economically illiterate" (though I think they are and suspect they're also literally illiterate) shouldn't be taken as a ringing endorsement for the other parties, you can criticise one without supporting the other you know.

They should, but neither the UDF or the British Army are running in the Dáil elections so it's a moot point.

You use force you're condemned, you use politics, you're condemned.

Not the point of this thread in general, there are plenty SF threads on here and Politics for that point to be discussed.

They are in Leinster house, not just running for it so some people have some sort of faith in them. And 20% according to the last poll are satisfied with them so that says something. If you read my posts I am not their biggest fan these days either.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,155 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

Dotsey wrote: »
    and people in here call SF "economically illiterate" when the alternative is FG, Labour of FF have I presume to show themselves as being economically literate?? maybe the Green are the real alternative if this is the case

There's a difference between incompetent & corrupt (FF), ineffective (FG & Lab) and a populist & stupid (SF).

SF have no coherent policies. They are incapable of taking power. Their economic policies strike a chord with those who don't know any better, but they don't actually amount to everyone. They're right up there with Vermine . Supreme who promised everyone a free pony if he became president of the US.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

I wonder would the SF voters of the 80s have thought they'd see the day where the party would be standing side by side with the beleaguered middle-class homeowners of Ireland. :pac:.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

Bah, vote for me and I'll buy everyone free beer for an entire year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,155 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

wolfpawnat wrote: »
    You use force you're condemned, you use politics, you're condemned.

Not the point of this thread in general, there are plenty SF threads on here and Politics for that point to be discussed.

They are in Leinster house, not just running for it so some people have some sort of faith in them. And 20% according to the last poll are satisfied with them so that says something. If you read my posts I am not their biggest fan these days either.

Or completely dissatisfied with the mainstream policies. All across europe Lesser parties are grabbing votes. They are groups like the UKIP or Le Pen's national front. It's not so much faith in those parties as a dissatisfaction with the status quo.

Advertisement