Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SF to refund property tax

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

We need proper local services to justify this property tax.
    Who can take your trash out?
    Stomp it down for you?
    Shake the plastic bag and do the twisty thingy too?
    The Garbage Man!!
    Oh the Garbage Man can
    The Garbage Man can and he does it with a smile and never judges you.
    Who can take this diaper?
    I don't mind at all
    Who can clean me up before the big policeman's ball?
    The Garbage Man
    yes the garbage man can

• Registered Users Posts: 4,585 ✭✭✭golfball37

I wonder how many here would refuse the refund if offered?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kraggy

People slating SF for making promises yet many of you will vote FG and/or Labour in the next election despite them reneging on a litany of promises that they made in the last election.

One of the few promises they've kept is actually the one promise they should break- unemployment benefit/assistance needs to decrease.

golfball37 wrote: »

How many people would refuse a million euro, if offered? Doesn't change the fact that it's an impossibility.

Hilarious that you would even attempt give some credence to this waffle.

kraggy wrote: »
    People slating SF for making promises yet many of you will vote FG and/or Labour in the next election despite them reneging on a litany of promises that they made in the last election.

Go on...?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,862 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

Why would/should people refuse such an offer?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,362 ✭✭✭Sergeant

Very few. Nobody likes paying rates and taxes. Doesn't mean we don't have to pay them.

Illogical argument.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,274 ✭✭✭darkhorse

Penn wrote: »
    And if anything, puts me off voting for them because it's increasingly clear they'll say anything to get into power.

Sure, is'nt that what you tend to do?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,718 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

PauloMN wrote: »
    It'll come from the same place that SF think the solutions to all the country's problems will come from.... "taxing the wealthy." :pac:
    Lol.

Either that or they will trot out that hardy annual 'raid the pension reserve fund'

Someone needs to bring those loons up to speed.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,091 ✭✭✭Antar Bolaeisk

I'd be almost tempted to vote for these guys just to see what would happen, a morbid curiosity if you will. Almost.

• Advertisement

PauloMN wrote: »
    Why would/should people refuse such an offer?
    Indeed.

I'm sure like all SF economic "suggestions", this has been properly costed....:o

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭frfintanstack

That's the level of analysis Sinn Fein depend on to get votes.

thanks god most people think a little deeper about issues

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,362 ✭✭✭Sergeant

padd b1975 wrote: »
    Lol.

Either that or they will trot out that hardy annual 'raid the pension reserve fund'

Someone needs to bring those loons up to speed.

Or "these figures have been costed by the Department of Finance". Might as well cost a base on the dark side of the moon while they're at it.

I'd be almost tempted to vote for these guys just to see what would happen, a morbid curiosity if you will. Almost.
    Martin Ferris as Minister for Marine and Defence.

I think I read somewhere he has some fishing trawler/gunship experience.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,862 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

That's the scary thing. There's quite sane, sensible people who seem to be willing to give them a chance after years of poor governance. I think when people see SF "policies" in action, and the resulting damage to the country, they'd realise their mistake - but it might be too late then.

I'm glad SF have come out with this latest bull**** today to be honest, the more of this stuff the better. The people who are not hardened shinners will see through it, and hopefully it'll swing them away from voting for them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,007 ✭✭✭Phill Ewinn

Property taxes will go the same way they always went. Refunding them would cost feck all in the grand scheme of things. We're still subsidising paid parking charges in local councils and the like. It's easily doable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,731 ✭✭✭Bullseye1

Robbo wrote: »
    And the auction politics for the next election begins...

I cannot see FG or Labour matching it. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kraggy

Rojomcdojo wrote: »

Go on...?

I've made my point. What do you want, a thesis?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,387 ✭✭✭✭Penn

darkhorse wrote: »
    Sure, is'nt that what you tend to do?

Difference between making promises you probably can't keep (FG/Labour) and making hugely unrealistic promises you would never be able to keep (SF).

If a party says they can do X and then either only do it halfway or find they can't keep the promise, or they over-estimate what they can do (provide a certain number of jobs etc), I can accept that. A promise made in 2011 might not be able to be kept in 2012 even with all the best estimates and predictions. What needs to be done needs to be done, no matter how unpopular.

SF don't do that. They promise anything and everything that the public wants, but have no realistic way of doing it in the first place. There is no way SF could afford to refund everyone's property tax by the time they got into power, as well as keep all the other numerous fanciful promises they'll make. SF decry and oppose almost everything the Government does, but never offer any realistic alternate solutions. They're the biggest bunch of rabblerabblerabble'ers with nothing of any substance to back them up. All they do is agree with the public on every unpopular decision by the Government and promise they wouldn't do it. All they want is to look good on election posters.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,417 ✭✭✭GRMA

wolfpawnat wrote: »
    With their bandwagon hopping politics, if the in thing is to support the property tax next week (which I know it won't but anyway) They would be all for that. They are just going for the popular vote..... AGAIN!!!! It's all so predictable.

You have to laugh at this crap.

They've been against it from the start, if they got in and didnt get rid of it you'd be calling them liars.

• Advertisement

Difference between making promises you probably can't keep (FG/Labour) and making hugely unrealistic promises you would never be able to keep (SF).

If a party says they can do X and then either only do it halfway or find they can't keep the promise, or they over-estimate what they can do (provide a certain number of jobs etc), I can accept that. A promise made in 2011 might not be able to be kept in 2012 even with all the best estimates and predictions. What needs to be done needs to be done, no matter how unpopular.

SF don't do that. They promise anything and everything that the public wants, but have no realistic way of doing it in the first place. There is no way SF could afford to refund everyone's property tax by the time they got into power, as well as keep all the other numerous fanciful promises they'll make. SF decry and oppose almost everything the Government does, but never offer any realistic alternate solutions. They're the biggest bunch of rabblerabblerabble'ers with nothing of any substance to back them up. All they do is agree with the public on every unpopular decision by the Government and promise they wouldn't do it. All they want is to look good on election posters.
    You can keep saying this, but it doesnt make it true.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,934 ✭✭✭20Cent

Great idea they have my vote next election.

MadsL wrote: »
    Refunds here, Council tax in NI.

Will the real SF please stand up, please stand up.
    SF have no control on taxes in the north.
    Its also powersharing.
    You want them to pull out of stormont in protest? Or do you want to acknowledge that powersharing has done great things for the north and its a work in progress?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,816 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

They have a nice wealth tax lined up.

http://www.sinnfein.ie/taxation-measures

Wealth taxes
    •Introduce a wealth tax of 1% on all assets in excess of €1 million, excluding working farmland, business assets, and the first 20% of value of primary residences worth in excess of €1 million. The Department of Finance to examine an inability to pay clause for asset rich, cash poor individuals. Raises: €800 million

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

I wonder if they'll bring in an ink cartridge tax?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,380 ✭✭✭✭Banjo String

Looks like some Labour members are starting to criticize the property tax too by the looks of things.
    'Dog's dinner' of a property tax

Meanwhile a second member of the Labour parliamentary party is slamming the manner in which the government is handling the property tax.
    The Labour Party Chief Whip Emmet Stagg says the coalition has made a "dog's dinner" of the way in which the tax is being administered. It is over the drastic reduction in the number of exemptions offered to those living in unfinished ghost estates - in comparison to the household charge.
    43,000 homes were exempt from the household charge last year. But that has plummeted to 5,100 for the property tax.
    Yesterday Junior Labour party Minister Sean Sherlock also criticised the way in which the Government has handled the issue. While Labour Chief Whip Emmett Stagg has told KFM the estates have not "miraculously" been completed in the last 12 months.

http://www.newstalk.ie/Labour-Chief-Whip-criticises-dogs-dinner-of-property-tax

I'm sceptical that they're making a few loud noises and objections now, in the full knowledge they're going to be wiped out in the next election.

If they truly want to save face, they should pull out of govt now imo.
    Sure what have they to lose now that their pensions have all been secured.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,652 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

They should have stopped at "We'll abolish the property tax".

Saying they'll refund everyone is just a huge steaming pile of nonsense. And if anything, puts me off voting for them because it's increasingly clear they'll say anything to get into power without actually having a sensible plan to achieve anything they promise.

" well, isn't that what you say to get elected" -- Pat Rabbitte 2013.

A left wing party should be most in favour of a property tax,.

Why?

Rojomcdojo wrote: »
    Because a house is an asset?

WRONG.

• Advertisement

I suppose if you're upset with one government not keeping pre-election promises, the logical option is to vote for someone who makes even more unrealistic promises.

But the thing is, FG/Lab really made it sound realistic. The character Keyser Soze comes to mind.

Advertisement