Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SF to refund property tax

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

SamHall wrote: »
    That ordinary worker in the north will not have to find

740€road tax for a 07golf (i think it's £130 there)
    €50 per doctor visit
    250-400 per year refuse collection
    Prescription charges capped at £4
    Roads are not tolled
    Education /book fees
    School transport (buses)
    School dinners
    Lower vat.

When i tax my car and pay education fees alone, I'll have surpassed the rates charge in the north.

Every 07 golf pays €740 motor tax now does it?

How many roads are tolled here? 10? 15 maybe? Don't word it like you cant drive anywhere without paying a toll.

Are prescription charges in the north capped at £4 for everybody? (genuine question)

Does half the population here not have GP cards at least? (caught the end of a conversation on the radio a couple of weeks back and think the figure was given at around 50%)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,274 ✭✭✭darkhorse

Rojomcdojo wrote: »
    Really? You don't support SF by any chance, with your fantastic grasp of economics?

I lol. But, inside I cry.

Why would I need to have a grasp of economics to tell you factually that my family home never made me any money? I am presuming here that an asset is an item that would generate money. My asset, as you would refer to my home, so far cost me €138,240.00, not including the cost of any maintainence or repairs, and as of the 1st of March 2013, it is worth the grand total of €84,000.00. So, fcuking lol at that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,704 ✭✭✭squod

Above is quoting Mary Lou McDonald. How is that true for people living here having to find say €157 this year and not true for ordinary people in the North having to find £1000?

Finding it difficult to find words. Actually getting something worth £1,000 is different to paying €157 for fuhk all. Do you understand that?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

darkhorse wrote: »
    Why would I need to have a grasp of economics to tell you factually that my family home never made me any money? I am presuming here that an asset is an item that would generate money. My asset, as you would refer to my home, so far cost me €138,240.00, not including the cost of any maintainence or repairs, and as of the 1st of March 2013, it is worth the grand total of €84,000.00. So, fcuking lol at that.

Your family home would generate money though. :confused:

squod wrote: »
    Finding it difficult to find words. Actually getting something worth £1,000 is different to paying €157 for fuhk all. Do you understand that?

So the councils pay for absolutely nothing? They rake in all this free money and just sit in offices lighting cigars with 50 euro notes?

Would you be happy to if they took back the bins and then charged you €1000 a year just to give you your idea of value?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,704 ✭✭✭squod

Would you be happy to if they took back the bins and then charged you €1000 a year just to give you your idea of value?

Yes, of course. It's my firm belief that '' the gubberment '' moreover my local government have absolutely no idea what value means. So yeah. Lets pay a set charge and get value from it.

Will you explain this bit please?
    What do we get for our money?

I already told you in two other threads, tayto, no, he won't.

To be honest, I'd be more worried if SF/IRA got in and actually told the truth and tried to implement such a ridiculous policy as trying to refund the property tax.

I'm not trying to be funny, but who are SF/IRA.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,652 ✭✭✭fasttalkerchat

Anyone whinging can PM me and I'll arrange collection of their refund then you can go back to complaining about the the other 3 parties that you vote for in rotation.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

Why is road tax so expensive?

700+ a year feck me!

My property tax is only 45 for the year so fcuk it tbh, I can afford it

• Advertisement

Agent J wrote: »
    Unnesscarily over promising stuff will in opposition gets you in a lot of trouble later on... (*coughs* FG & Lab)

I could'nt have put it better myself.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yjhxp-JJqDo&feature=player_detailpage

Why is road tax so expensive?

700+ a year feck me!

Road tax is free here. An absolute bargain. You can even print your own disc in the style you like.

Motor tax is a tad high on some cars though.

Your family home would generate money though. :confused:

Would you ever get a loan of an abacus somewhere and try and do the subtraction on the figures that I gave on my post and tell me how just how much my home has generated for me so far.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

Would you ever get a loan of an abacus somewhere and try and do the subtraction on the figures that I gave on my post and tell me how just how much my home has generated for me so far.

Try not to be such a smart arse when you can't even grasp simple terms. Your home would generate money, therefore it's an asset. It wouldn't make a profit, buti t would still generate money.

Try not to be such a smart arse when you can't even grasp simple terms. Your home would generate money, therefore it's an asset. It wouldn't make a profit, buti t would still generate money.

Lord knows, I will try, but it is a difficult task when you're down thousands and thousands and somebody telling you that you're better off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,113 ✭✭✭shruikan2553

Just a few things here from the Louth Co Council site. Like other countries most of the money will still come from income tax VAT etc (central government grant) but there will now be a contribution from property owners. It's a very common funding model.

Water Services
    Water Supply
    Waste Water Treatment
    Collection of Water and Waste Water Charges
    Public Conveniences
    Admin of Group and Private Installations
    Support to Water Capital Programme
    Development Management
    Forward Planning

Unfinished Housing Estates
    Economic Development and Promotion
    Property Management
    Heritage and Conservation Services
    Environmental Services
    Landfill Operation and Aftercare
    Recovery & Recycling Facilities Operations
    Waste to Energy Facilities Operations
    Provision of Waste to Collection Services
    Litter Management
    Street Cleaning
    Waste Regulations, Monitoring and Enforcement
    Waste Management Planning
    Maintenance of Burial Grounds
    Safety of Structures and Places
    Operation of Fire Service
    Fire Prevention
    Water Quality, Air and Noise Pollution
    Operation of Library and Archival Service
    Outdoor Leisure Areas Operations
    Community Sport and Recreational Development
    Operation of Arts Programme

Thats great and all but what happens if you live in the likes of rural Donegal? Dont have access to most of that stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,370 ✭✭✭Phoebas

Thats great and all but what happens if you live in the likes of rural Donegal? Dont have access to most of that stuff.
    In rural Donegal the services are less, but the cost of providing them is much higher.
    If you live in Donegal, you are already benefiting from big transfers to fund local services from richer counties.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,380 ✭✭✭✭Banjo String

Every golf pays €740 motor tax now does it?

No, that charge relates to mine, but even on the smallest engine golf, it would still come to 40k petrol, 514 for a diesel. Still 3-4 times more expensive.
    How many roads are tolled here? 10? 15 maybe? Don't word it like you cant drive anywhere without paying a toll.

That's 10 or 15 times more than the north have.
    Are prescription charges in the north capped at £4 for everybody? (genuine question)
    Yes, along with zero fees for seeing the g.p, or an a&e visit etc.
    Does half the population here not have GP cards at least? (caught the end of a conversation on the radio a couple of weeks back and think the figure was given at around 50%)

I'm not sure about that one, never heard or researched it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,857 ✭✭✭professore

Your home doesn't generate money, in fact it costs money, and is only an asset if you can sell it for more than the outstanding mortgage on it. Otherwise it's s liability. This is basic economics.

professore wrote: »
    Your home doesn't generate money, in fact it costs money, and is only an asset if you can sell it for more than the outstanding mortgage on it. Otherwise it's s liability. This is basic economics.

Or if you own a stately home, that qualified for a tax break.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

Every other country in europe has a property tax (open to correction) and we are coming into line.

And we're a great little country for obeying and coming into line aren't we.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Ah Sinn Fein morphing into mini-FF more and more with the passing of every day ;)

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,864 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

SamHall wrote: »
    That ordinary worker in the north will not have to find

740€road tax for a 07golf (i think it's £130 there)
    €50 per doctor visit
    250-400 per year refuse collection
    Prescription charges capped at £4
    Roads are not tolled
    Education /book fees
    School transport (buses)
    School dinners
    Lower vat.

When i tax my car and pay education fees alone, I'll have surpassed the rates charge in the north.

You forgot another big one..... VRT, that makey-uppey additional tax on cars, because the purchase price VAT, annual motor tax, parts/servicing VAT and fuel tax just isn't squeezing the motorist quite enough.

Add up the thousands of € that you have spent on VRT over the years, you'd have paid none of that in NI.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,180 ✭✭✭cgh

SF will tax the rich here and run them all out of the country.
    as a country we pay out more than we get in thats the basics.
    so how can they refund a property tax.
    the money has to come from somewhere.
    Just gotto love the spin that SF put up.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

The opposition parties have realized from the opinion polls that about 65-70% of households are against the LPT and are prepared to drop it if the people back them in the next election it seems.

If they do drop it then they will have to come up with an alternative. What that is going to be should scare us as it could actually be worse. We need to know what their alternatives are before we vote.

Enough lies were told at the last General Election. If we fall for false promises again then we deserve what we get.

I want rid of this Property Tax but I want to know what I will get instead.

They should do what it's really intended to be, just increase income tax. None of this hiding around and calling it property tax bullshít. If it was meant to be a proper way for paying out towards local services, I'd be expecting a reduction towards income tax, as that money wouldn't be needed for it any further.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,405 ✭✭✭Lone Stone

SF will tax the rich here and run them all out of the country.
    as a country we pay out more than we get in thats the basics.
    so how can they refund a property tax.
    the money has to come from somewhere.
    Just gotto love the spin that SF put up.

as apposed to taxing those who cant afford to pay or leave the country great idea !

my mother on invalidity got the notice in the door to pay this thing yesterday, the only way to pay is to not pay for house insurance because theirs no money to pay the thing, like seriously where do they expect some one invalidity to come up with a extra 500 euro a year :confused:

Lone Stone wrote: »
    as apposed to taxing those who cant afford to pay or leave the country great idea !

my mother on invalidity got the notice in the door to pay this thing yesterday, the only way to pay is to not pay for house insurance because theirs no money to pay the thing, like seriously where do they expect some one invalidity to come up with a extra 500 euro a year :confused:

"How do they expect someone with assets of €300k+ to pay €500?"

:rolleyes:

Lord knows, I will try, but it is a difficult task when you're down thousands and thousands and somebody telling you that you're better off.

Your situation is not everyones situation. You are in a minority, yet want legislation that favours yourself ahead of the majority. It's Ireland, not darhorseland.

I do, of course, have much sympathy for those in negative equity. And I also believe that there will be some sort of forgiveness in the long term. What I don't like is those in negative equity throwing their toys out of the pram while the rest of us suck it up and get on with it.

Rojomcdojo wrote: »
    Your situation is not everyones situation. You are in a minority, yet want legislation that favours yourself ahead of the majority. It's Ireland, not darhorseland.

I do, of course, have much sympathy for those in negative equity. And I also believe that there will be some sort of forgiveness in the long term. What I don't like is those in negative equity throwing their toys out of the pram while the rest of us suck it up and get on with it.

Recent polls show FG on 25%
    Labour, 9%

It had also been mentioned recently that 75% are extremely unhappy with how the current govt are performing.

(just throwing that out there, to counter your 'minority' statement)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

I was hoping SF would be an alternative.

There will be absolutely no one for me to vote for in any upcoming elections. I don't see how I could ever trust FF, FG or labour. I usually vote for the local independent because at least you'll have someone that will fight your corner. There is no legitimate national agenda and every penny the local guy can divert to local causes and away from the black hole that is Dublin is a good thing in my books.

Advertisement