Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vu+ Solo2

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭lfc84

Greenpiece wrote: »
    Just went into recorded movies to find my whole 1TB hard drive is wiped. Did not initialize it and can't figure out how it happened. Am using openvix hades build 11. Hard drive was close to full but have lost all recordings and backups. Only folders now showing are time shift, movie, var and crossepg.

Anybody here come across anything similar?

I had a problem over the weekend with release 10. The HDD unmounted itself.

I reinstalled 10 from a new install image downloaded.

Then used command line to mount the HDD.

Then the disk was usable without format.

All sounds a bit worrying. I suggest you go to the world of satellite forum and see what they say.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,524 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

Alright lads,friend of mine is looking to buy the Solo 2.

I had a quick look and HM Sat seem to be the best value €276 delivered.Anyone see better?

Anyone recommend a good 500gb HDD and what is the best BH image to flash onto it?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,440 ✭✭✭swoofer

http://www.amazon.co.uk/500GB-inch-SATA-Internal-Drive/dp/B00C9TECFO/ref=sr_1_1?s=computers&ie=UTF8&qid=1433350266&sr=1-1&keywords=WD+500GB+2.5+inch+SATA+Internal+Hard+Drive+-+Blue

and I would get them to use a backup, start with BH2.1.4 same as you, go to linuxsat and look for Blackhole 2.1.4 Solo2 Full Backup Image by mckee25

Be carefull with BH image dont use the online update facility as it may cause problems.

I have an open atv 4.2 back up on my solo2 and it is very good.

You will get others.

• Registered Users Posts: 948 ✭✭✭MrTrebus

Id recommend using the VTi Image as opposed to BH
    dont see the attraction of the BH image to be honest !

MrTrebus wrote: »
    Id recommend using the VTi Image as opposed to BH
    dont see the attraction of the BH image to be honest !

I have been using BH for about 4 years so prefer to stick with what I (kinda) know.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 996 ✭✭✭bbari

yabadabado wrote: »
    I have been using BH for about 4 years so prefer to stick with what I (kinda) know.

+1

and keep updating to the latest version :)

• Registered Users Posts: 948 ✭✭✭MrTrebus

cant argue with that but me personally, I normally try at least one different image every week :eek::eek:
    always end up back with the VTi image though ;)

MrTrebus wrote: »
    cant argue with that but me personally, I normally try at least one different image every week :eek::eek:
    always end up back with the VTi image though ;)
    :eek:
    That would drive me nuts.I would go months or longer without changing the image.

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭Greenpiece

It happened again, HDD is mounted but all recordings gone. Guess I will have to move away from Openvix Hades or go back to earlier version.
    Shame as always liked easy auto timer on vix.

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭tanka006

Hi Guys,

I hope someone can help me.

Total novice here - basically had a power cut here on Friday & my VU plus Solo 2 wont work since.

It powers up fine & I can get into all of the menus without problem.

When I try to select a TV channel it will go to it (showing No signal strength) - but say "service unavailable - check tuner configuration".

When I check the tuners they both say the same "DVB-S2 NIM (internal) (DVB-S2) Single Stats:28.2E Eutelsat 28A Astra 1N/2A/2F

I've plugged in an old box & its working fine - so its not the dish / signal.

Another thing is that when I try Auto Bouquets, it cant run & tells me its January 1st 1970 as opposed to todays date & time.

I've changed nothing - only the power outage.....

Any advice much appreciated

Thanks

Tanka

• Advertisement

tanka006 wrote: »

another thing is that when I try Auto Bouquets, it cant run & tells me its January 1st 1970 as opposed to todays date & time.

Try rescanning channel by leaving cable in Tuner A only and then in Tuner B only..

If it doesn't scan any channels then I hate to say this but it looks like the tuner is dead.

• Registered Users Posts: 803 ✭✭✭amdaley28

If the above doesn't work reinstall the software image & do a factory reset.
    Were both tuners connected when the power cut struck ?
    Anyone running any kind of electronics should always use a power surge protector.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,380 ✭✭✭STB.

@ Tanka Reset the time in the system menu.

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭tanka006

Hi Guys,

Thanks for the suggestions - I got it finally got it working!!

For anyone who has a similar problem - this is what I found online forums:

If your box is giving an tuner configuration message please try these steps

1. MENU
    2. SETUP
    3. SERVICE SEARCHING
    4. MANUAL SCAN
    5. Go to TYPE of Scan option 2. and change it to SINGLE SATELLITE Scan. Press OK to start scan.

this did take about 25 minutes - but all was perfect afterwards - I am so relieved as I thought both tuners were done for.

Thanks Again

Tanka

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭bored_stupid

• Closed Accounts Posts: 578 ✭✭✭Owenw

Just flashed my box.

Liking the clean Windows-style interface.

Better than BlackHole ?

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭bored_stupid

At last
    Openvix vu solo2 3.2 has gone live 27/8/15
    http://www.world-of-satellite.com/showthread.php?47611-OpenViX-3-2-Release&

Thanks to the openvix team .

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭gaillimh

Lads - have a q for ye. Am a total novice at this stuff so bear with me.

I've been seeing a lot of posts online re transcoding on the solo 2 & duo 2 boxes.
    It seems this is a way to stream content from your box over the Internet.

Forgive my ignorance here - but what is the difference between "transcoding" and downloading the vu+ app onto your iOS/android device and streaming content from your box this way?
    Im probably totally missing the point here ��

Thanks for any explanations/clarifications.

gaillimh wrote:
    Forgive my ignorance here - but what is the difference between "transcoding" and downloading the vu+ app onto your iOS/android device and streaming content from your box this way? Im probably totally missing the point here

I THINK it's the samething

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,949 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

I've just discovered permanent timeshift, I can't believe I didn't know about this before, what a great invention.

I'm on a very old Blackhole image, I don't get any crashes and I'm happy with the performance of it, is there any clear benefits in upgrading to any new version?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,957 ✭✭✭Liamalone

Clareman wrote: »
    I've just discovered permanent timeshift, I can't believe I didn't know about this before, what a great invention.

Tell me more my dear man...

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,949 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

Liamalone wrote: »
    Tell me more my dear man...

It allows you rewind whatever you're watching, you don't have to pause it first, I think it can record up to 180 mins of what you're watching at the moment, not sure on that, I wouldn't think it's good for the hard drive either but it's very handy.

It's available from the pplugins menu

ah lads, I thought everyone used that plugin ,its one of the main selling points imo.

ah lads, I thought everyone used that plugin ,its one of the main selling points imo.

I didn't even know such functionality existed on ANY satellite box until I was around at a friends house the other night and he rewound, I thought you had to pause it first to have the ability to do it, extremely handy function to have.

Although, don't enable it on a box in a bedroom, amazing how much noise a hard drive makes.

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭codar

"
    I'm on a very old Blackhole image, I don't get any crashes and I'm happy with the performance of it, is there any clear benefits in upgrading to any new version? "
    You'll probably be able to use hd skins and animations for the menu system eg: pops up from center or slides across the screen.
    The whole user interface looks sleeker and feels more responsive (probably isn't in reality though)
    I'm currently on the last vix hades build (18) with rossi's blue hd skin and am very impressed with it.

I might have a play over the weekend, the Solo2 is connected to the main TV in the house so between a 2 year old and a wife I don't normally get time to it on my own, if I do I usually take advantage of the fact and watch something :D I might do an upgrade on my Ultimo first to see what I think

I installed the Hades image on a friends GigaBlue box and can't say I was too impressed, I've always much prefered the Blackhole images, I might do an upgrade on my Ultimo first to see what I think

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭codar

Give the blue hd skin a go.
    I think it transforms the image.
    It will also go on openatv (if vix isn't your cuppa tea)

I'll throw the OpenVix that you've suggested on the Ultimo and see how it goes, I've nothing planned for the weekend so it'll be a good geek opportunity

• Advertisement

Ooooh, I'd forgotten what a pain in the @rse it was flashing older boxes, had to make sure to get the right USB key, I've about 20 keys here and only an old 512mb 1 will work

Advertisement