Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vu+ Solo2

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭radiowaves

Hi Guys,

I've been geting frustrated with VIX image lately with all the updates that require fresh installs etc and I've the Solo2 is much more sluggish with the last six months of updates. I'm thinking of flashing blackhole to see how I get on with that. I've flashed it before and missed the epg/skins that are available in VIX - is there something simillar in Blackhole i can use?

Where is the best place to go for blackhole images to use and forum support? World of satelite is great but heavily VIX oriented

Cheers,
    Mick

http://www.vuplus-community.net/board/

I'd also give OpenPLI and OpenATV a whirl (closer to Vix than Blackhole).

And if you use MyMetrix skin you can change the skin and EPG look to your own preference.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,497 ✭✭✭micks_address

radiowaves wrote: »
    http://www.vuplus-community.net/board/

I'd also give OpenPLI and OpenATV a whirl (closer to Vix than Blackhole).

And if you use MyMetrix skin you can change the skin and EPG look to your own preference.

Thanks mate - can i ask what image you use yourself?

Cheers,
    Mick

Thanks mate - can i ask what image you use yourself?

Cheers,
    Mick

You can ask; doesn't mean I'll answer (only joking!).

I use PLI.

You can ask; doesn't mean I'll answer (only joking!).

I use PLI.

Cheers,

can i ask have you tried the other images and what lead you to stick with open pli? Might save me some time in installing/re setting up everything multiple times!

Thanks,
    Mick

Cheers,

can i ask have you tried the other images and what lead you to stick with open pli? Might save me some time in installing/re setting up everything multiple times!

Thanks,
    Mick

Like everything mate image choice is a personal thing.

I never liked Vix personally but it is the most user-friendly;

I would class Blackhole as an enthusiast's image and I had it on my box for long periods.

In my opinion PLI takes the best aspects of both mentioned images as does ATV. PLI's integrated EPG grabber is easily the best I've used - if EPG is important to you it is the one thing that really lets Blackhole down.

BTW I would recommend trying them all; on each you only need too set up everything once and when you move onto another image you can save everything to a backup file so that if you choose to go back you can reinstall to the point you were at.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭Johntm

swoofer wrote: »

Thanks have that ordered so should be with me soon

Can you use a usb as an external hard drive or do I have to place one inside.
    and if I was to put a hard drive inside do I need to program much or just change a few options in the menu. Cheers

Johntm wrote: »
    Thanks have that ordered so should be with me soon

Can you use a usb as an external hard drive or do I have to place one inside.
    and if I was to put a hard drive inside do I need to program much or just change a few options in the menu. Cheers

You can do either (or both!).

There'll be very little (if anything) that would need to be changed in the menu for an internal hard drive.

You can do either (or both!).

There'll be very little (if anything) that would need to be changed in the menu for an internal hard drive.

Perfect thanks for that, cant wait to get a recording box in the house.
    One other question, do I need two satellite coxial cables for the watch and record at the same time function or just the one?

One other question, do I need two satellite coxial cables for the watch and record at the same time function or just the one?

Although it is possible (with a few limitations) with just one feed, to get maximum record and watch facility two feeds would definitely be recommended.

• Registered Users Posts: 996 ✭✭✭bbari

If you want to record channel A and watch channel B (on a different frequency) then you need two cables.

to record and watch the same channel you need one feed only.

• Advertisement

bbari wrote: »

Is there a setup that doesn't allow you to watch a channel you're recording? :)

Is there a setup that doesn't allow you to watch a channel you're recording? :)

No - don't think so :)

If you want to record channel A and watch channel B (on a different frequency) then you need two cables.

No - don't think so :)

In addition, it is possible (with the limitations I spoke of) to record more than one channel with just one cable.

I think we are talking about the same thing - if two channels are on the same frequency then you can watch one and record one..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,278 ✭✭✭Thurston?

- if two channels are on the same frequency then you can watch one and record one..

Not just the same frequency (transponder): if you feed both tuners from 1 LNB connection, you should be able to watch/record any channel in the same frequency/polarity block. Doesn't the Solo2 have an internal loopthrough to allow this? Should be possible 1 way or another (external loop, splitter) with any twin-tuner receiver.

Like everything mate image choice is a personal thing.

I never liked Vix personally but it is the most user-friendly;

I would class Blackhole as an enthusiast's image and I had it on my box for long periods.

In my opinion PLI takes the best aspects of both mentioned images as does ATV. PLI's integrated EPG grabber is easily the best I've used - if EPG is important to you it is the one thing that really lets Blackhole down.

BTW I would recommend trying them all; on each you only need too set up everything once and when you move onto another image you can save everything to a backup file so that if you choose to go back you can reinstall to the point you were at.

Hi just installed open pli. Couple of things stumping me. What do you use for a graphical epg and how do you config?

Also how do you change the 4.0 boot logo..
    Cheers
    Mick

Received my vu solo 2 today and seems a good bit of kit but im having an issue installing free to air channels

I will be getting it flashed in the near future but I thought I could watch free to air no hassle. Im using astra 28.2 as my satellite.

Can anyone point out what im doing wrong? Have my sat cable connected in lnb 2 which is what the manual says.

Any help would be great!

EDIT

Have this sorted mix up with lnbs

What internal hard drive would best suit the vu solo 2 and anyone know of any cheap ones.

Ive been told to get a sata hard drive

I'm using 1 TB as the recordings of HD channels take a lot of space and there isn't a significant different b/w 500MB and a TB.

I think you can only use SATA drive as that's the only connection it has.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,427 ✭✭✭swoofer

this is the one I got and works a treat, you can get cheaper but that box was not cheap so dont skimp and as already said get a 1TB. I like one that spins at 5400 apparently its quieter. Amazon do good prices or you could try adverts ie etc. nb it has to be 2.5in.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/500GB-inch-SATA-Internal-Drive/dp/B00C9TECFO/ref=pd_sim_computers_4?ie=UTF8&refRID=11P3XGJRNT8FXNFA7HYG

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭tmull

I have been out of action for the past week and not been on here. To answer a few questions asked recently,the post on how to watch free to air channels on 28E,make sure the dish is on the sat.Go into menu and configure the tuner you are using to Simple (scroll left or right to see the five options available). Back to menu and find manual scan. Press ok and the channels will be scanned.
    My son advised me to go for a solid state drive so as he ,I and my next door neigbour each bought a VU+ solo2 we went for the Seagate 1t solid state drive hhd and fitted all three in about ten minutes. All are working great and the quality of playback is of a very high standard.We searched around but Dabs.ie were the best at 82 Euro each and next day delivery.
    I got advice from two other forums about inputting an N line but the very last step is alluding us. Any help appreciated. TMULL

I did send an answer to the n line. What size is that SSHD ie 2.5 or 3.5 ins? I checked dabs and it says 3.5ins. The solo2 is only supposed to take a 2.5!!

Yes we were aware of that and they have that size,2.5, advertised on their site. We got as far as the Var folder and for some reason we got stuck. My son does not use an N line so I have to wait for him to come to me. TMULL

Have my hard drive sorted now but have another issue.

I want to feed the vu solo 2 with two coxial sat cables but only have one feeding the box at the minute. Is it alright to use the splitter below to save me from feeding wires down the house again.

http://www.tvtrade.ie/passive-2-way-tv-splitters.html

no that will not work. from my small knowledge you cant split a satellite signal hence quad lnbs, octo lnbs.

swoofer wrote: »
    no that will not work. from my small knowledge you cant split a satellite signal hence quad lnbs, octo lnbs.

I thought that myself but what are the below splitters for then?

I have a quad lnb that has 4 coxial cables going to a multiswitch which I think are all used

http://www.tvtrade.ie/tv-distribution/tv-splitters/passive-tv-splitters.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭Itsabrack

I thought that myself but what are the below splitters for then?

I have a quad lnb that has 4 coxial cables going to a multiswitch which I think are all used

You will have to disable tuner 2. Good news is that you can rcord up to 8 channels on one tuner, they have to be on the same transponder. When you start recording a channel, check the epg and the channels which are highlighted you can record/watch too. For instance, all the Irish channels are on one transponder, so you could watch/record all those channels with one cable. Long term though, get an octo lnb.

Those splitters are for distributing the signals from your aerial to a number of tvs in your house

Itsabrack wrote: »
    You will have to disable tuner 2. Good news is that you can rcord up to 8 channels on one tuner, they have to be on the same transponder. When you start recording a channel, check the epg and the channels which are highlighted you can record/watch too. For instance, all the Irish channels are on one transponder, so you could watch/record all those channels with one cable. Long term though, get an octo lnb.

Cheers I'll get the coxial cable roll out again then :) Want it to work properly after spending that sort of money

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,278 ✭✭✭Thurston?

... I want to feed the vu solo 2 with two coxial sat cables but only have one feeding the box at the minute. Is it alright to use the splitter below to save me from feeding wires down the house again.

You can use a splitter to feed both tuners from a single LNB feed, provided you have a strong enough signal to cope with splitting losses. Use a splitter with DC pass on only 1 port, so the tuners don't fight for control of the LNB. Also must pass the relevant frequencies, like this one.

Anyhow, doesn't the manual for the Vu+ Solo2 mention an internal loopthrough: connect the single feed to LNB2 & select 'Loop through to' in 'Configuring Tuner A'. I don't have one of these receivers but I can only imagine this performs the same function as the splitter, the same as with Humax Freesat boxes.

With both tuners connected to a single LNB feed, you can be recording & still have access to every transponder in the same band/polarity block the 'master' tuner has switched the LNB to, not just a single transponder, as would be the case with only 1 tuner in play.

Advertisement