Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vu+ Solo2

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,524 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

I would buy from an Irish seller if there isn't much difference pricewise.Handy if anything does go wrong.Very easy to set up an image so wouldn't be paying extra to get it done.

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭bored_stupid

Good evening lad,s just got myself another vu solo 2 original today , got this one from swords satellite can confirm 100 % original 300 euro and he,s inporting these from vu+ plus uk . it,s good to support your local bricks & mortor shop as i,am based in D11 and if i had any problems 10 mins drive away and plenty of stock on display to check before you buy well worth havin a lookin if your based in dublin , regards bored_stupid

• Registered Users Posts: 996 ✭✭✭bbari

Agree with the above comment. I bought online from Belgium, had to send it back twice and it worked out more expensive at the end. €300 is very good price for Solo2. The last BH version won't install on a clone so you will know straight away if its real or not!

Guys - Do you know any equivalent of DreamboxEdit for Mac ?

bbari wrote: »

Sorted - DreamboxEDIT is available for mac :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭Somecrimesitry

About to order a Solo2 + 500gb HDD to replace a now dead DM800 but I notice most sellers also mention 7 Day EPG's on a USB stick. Are the USB EPG's only for folks buying without an internal HDD or is it recommended to run the EPG separately off USB?

Cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,440 ✭✭✭swoofer

yes epg goes on usb stick, its quicker as if on hdd it will be starting and stopping. those sticks may be cheaper elsewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,905 ✭✭✭steveon

swoofer wrote: »
    yes epg goes on usb stick, its quicker as if on hdd it will be starting and stopping. those sticks may be cheaper elsewhere.

Ive been running my epg for over 4yrs from my hdd absolutely no problems

• Registered Users Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭radiowaves

steveon wrote: »
    Ive been running my epg for over 4yrs from my hdd absolutely no problems

Spot on - the EPG is actually cached in flash so once the original download is made the drive is unaffected.

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭Somecrimesitry

Thanks all. Just making sure it wasn't some weird VU+ thing where you had to run EPG from USB.

Only ever setup DM boxes years ago but then I got really, really lazy. When my DM800 died the other day it was still running a GP2 image from 2009!!! Now that's laziness:)

Now to spend me some money on a shiny Solo2.

• Advertisement

2crash wrote: »
    And who is this shopping4satellite?
    No telephone number no address sounds like if something goes wrong with box you wont get in touch with them!

Hence the reason of my comment #214 :). €290 is very good price for Solo2.

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭x PHEONIX x

look for iDreamX

http://www.macupdate.com/app/mac/24263/idreamx

Open ATV 5.0 preview VU SOLO2 04.04.2015.

http://images.mynonpublic.com/openatv/5.0/index.php?open=vusolo2

• Registered Users Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭Apogee

How do boardsies find the Solo2 remote?

I have recently picked up a Vu+ Zero, which has the same universal type remote as the Solo2 (lights up on button press), but I find it less sensitive than the older Duo or Solo style remote. The difference is small, but annoying!

Apogee wrote:
    I have recently picked up a Vu+ Zero, which has the same universal type remote as the Solo2 (lights up on button press), but I find it less sensitive than the older Duo or Solo style remote. The difference is small, but annoying!

You get an extra IR sensor with Zero, place that somewhere you can clearly point the remote to, it may help.

I'm pretty happy with the Solo2 remote though.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 kusadasiboris

Hi guys, I just bough last week Vu+ Zero and I loaded Blackhole image on it, I also installed external hdd ,so all good so far, I use to have solo 1 but this little box faster than solo 1 all together, if anyone want it to get one and cant make their mind up well I say yeah go ahead and buy it,little beast that is :)
    enjoy

• Registered Users Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭Apogee

You get an extra IR sensor with Zero, place that somewhere you can clearly point the remote to, it may help.

I'm pretty happy with the Solo2 remote though.

Thanks, but the problem is specifically with the remote rather than the receiver not responding. I just find the older remote far better.

• Registered Users Posts: 855 ✭✭✭smokin ace

hi everyone i got my vu solo 2 a few days ago and for the life of can i get to work the way it should is there any one around the wexford wicklow area that i can bring it to and pay them to set the box up and show me how to use it before i go nuts altogether thank you

• Registered Users Posts: 5,440 ✭✭✭swoofer

To set it up you need to follow a few simple steps, have you read any guides? And can you explain, " can i get to work the way it should'

Did you get it with a pre-loaded image? and if so whats the name of image? Has it got an internal HDD?

Is it for 28east only or is it to be used with motorised?

have you got a few usb sticks?

Have you got an FTP program?

Have you got winzip or winrar to unzip files?

So say where you are at, its much better if you do it yourself as if it goes wrong u can fix it yourself.

Loads of people on here have the solo2 and once you learn its easy peasy

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5 satexpert

smokin ace wrote: »
    hi everyone i got my vu solo 2 a few days ago and for the life of can i get to work the way it should is there any one around the wexford wicklow area that i can bring it to and pay them to set the box up and show me how to use it before i go nuts altogether thank you

In swords has satellite shop who sell vu+ boes and will be able to help you

Here,s a new image from the blackhole team is called open blackhole 0.1 for vu+ boxes supported by the black hole team based on openpli git.
    http://www.vuplus-community.net/board/threads/open-black-hole-0-1.22917/

• Registered Users Posts: 3 rustyshane

I have made the move and got rid of sky but struggling for a decent replacement.
    I think the VU box might be the solution but no idea which one to buy.
    I would like everything sky +box offers, Pause rewind etc, 7 day programmes, RF out for upstairs etc but getting a really good record box with the Saorview channels seems an issue.
    Will the Solo do all this and is there a better box available? I am thinking perhaps if I spend some more there is a world of entertainment awaiting beyond the sky offering. Also, can you get a dish that will avoid me having to install an aerial as well for Saorview?
    Am I better off getting Saorview channels over the internet and if so can you record stations that feed over the internet.
    Appreciate any guidance, sorry if should not be posted here

Good move, bye bye sky! :)

Solo is single tuner so it won't get you same functionality as of sky.. get Solo-2, you will be able to watch one channel and record another (same as sky) plus rewind etc. You will get 7 days epg on it too.

If you go for Duo-2, i THINK you can buy an additional tuner for a small amount which will give u facility of Soarview. I never looked in to Soarview as there are lots of channels available to watch but it shouldn't be any problem if you get Duo-2. My tv has a builitin soarview function in it but I never got around to plug in the aerial. A friend of mine has just an internal aerial and picking up the soar view channels, he's probably in good coverage area.

I have Solo 2 for over two year and this is the best money I ever spent. Hope this helps, pls let us know if you need any help in seting it up etc....

• Registered Users Posts: 3 rustyshane

Good move, bye bye sky! :)

Solo is single tuner so it won't get you same functionality as of sky.. get Solo-2, you will be able to watch one channel and record another (same as sky) plus rewind etc. You will get 7 days epg on it too.

If you go for Duo-2, i THINK you can buy an additional tuner for a small amount which will give u facility of Soarview. I never looked in to Soarview as there are lots of channels available to watch but it shouldn't be any problem if you get Duo-2. My tv has a builitin soarview function in it but I never got around to plug in the aerial. A friend of mine has just an internal aerial and picking up the soar view channels, he's probably in good coverage area.

I have Solo 2 for over two year and this is the best money I ever spent. Hope this helps, pls let us know if you need any help in seting it up etc....

Thanks for the reply. A couple of more questions if you don't mind.
    When you say additional tuner, do you mean another box? What is this called? Also is there a Harddrive in these machines for what you record. I guess I'm missing the picture and most people discussing these boxes have no interest in soar view.

• Registered Users Posts: 855 ✭✭✭smokin ace

Just an update I eventually got my solo 2 sorted and figured out how to do things it was a very steep learning curve but everything is good now I loaded vix firmware onto it and have the cool TV guide and have it set up like the Irish syk where the Irish channels are first on the epg I also put a 1tb hard drive I had lying around here into it but now that's it's up and running I am very impressed with it

• Registered Users Posts: 2,945 ✭✭✭IrishHomer

Did you do it all yourself? If so where did you learn from?

rustyshane wrote:
    When you say additional tuner, do you mean another box? What is this called? Also is there a Harddrive in these machines for what you record. I guess I'm missing the picture and most people discussing these boxes have no interest in soar view.

You can buy an additional tuner and plug it in to your Duo2, it will cost around €30 to €40.

The box doesn't come with the hard disk but you can ask the seller to install the hdd, its pretty simple to install, i did it myself, only two cables to be plugged in. You can also have an external usb hdd.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,524 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

IrishHomer wrote: »
    Did you do it all yourself? If so where did you learn from?
    this site is excellent.Everything you need to know about setting up a box is there.
    LINK

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭Greenpiece

Just went into recorded movies to find my whole 1TB hard drive is wiped. Did not initialize it and can't figure out how it happened. Am using openvix hades build 11. Hard drive was close to full but have lost all recordings and backups. Only folders now showing are time shift, movie, var and crossepg.

Anybody here come across anything similar?

Advertisement