Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vu+ Solo2

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,951 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

I've reimaged my Ultimo and I have to say I'm liking this image, I remember now what I didn't like about the old VIX images (pinkish display and a pain to get it to take the whole screen). The Rossi skin does make the image very Sky like, which I suppose is a good thing, doesn't really bother me to be honest, I've the picons/bouquets setup now as well. I think I'll hold off with teh Solo2 for a while, it took me long enough the "train" the wife on how to use the old image, changing her again could prove troublesome.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,951 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

Talking to myself here a lot, but I have to say I'm liking the OpenVix on the Solo2, I installed it, enabled the skin, setup the picons (that was awkard), setup timeshift and that was pretty much it, image looks very nice, very like Sky but I guess that's the point.

What I've left to do now is mount my NAS and get a decent media player for it, it was a bit awkard to mount the USB key so I expect it won't be that simple to enable a media player through the main menu.

NAS mounted and media player installed, initial thought on the media player is the old 1 was better but I'm sure I'll get used to it

Well that destroyed my box, my nova stick stopped working for terrestrial and then it started locking up all over the place, wifi is fried and the powerplugs seem to be acting up on it as well, I've spent the day trying different images all day, even tried to back date to a really old Blackhole image and it's still freezing intermittently.

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭codar

Sorry to hear it. I've never encountered those issues but i'm hard wired to router and use a sundtek.

• Advertisement

I think I've finally figured it out, it has been a combination of stuff
    • Power line adapter being a bit flakey
    • CrossEPG downloading the background
    • Few files being corrupt
    • USB key being corrupted
    • Harddrive getting corrupted due to backing up to the NAS
    • Nova stick being old
    • Me being impatient
    I've installed the latest Blackhole image with a few plugins and everything seems fine for the past half an hour at least.

Glad to hear it.

You may need to install drivers for the nova stick.
    There may be one on the image feeds.

codar wrote: »
    You may need to install drivers for the nova stick.
    There may be one on the image feeds.

I don't really use it that often anyway to be honest so it's not a biggie, it's stuck behind the TV in a fairly warm place so I wouldn't be surprised if it's terminal

Vu have a new usb tuner out, the turbo, dvb-t2/c.
    Probably expensive though.

• Advertisement

codar wrote: »
    Vu have a new usb tuner out, the turbo, dvb-t2/c.
    Probably expensive though.

I mainly used the tuner for recording GAA matches on RTÉ but my TV has a Saorview tuner built in and I had a spare low profile 64gb USB key so I'll just use the TV from now on.

Box is working fine now and I was able to watch the first game on Match of the Day in HD, spent most of the day sorting that today, in a weird way I enjoyed it, the wife and daughter aren't too impressed with me :D

It's all part of it.
    I like to mess about an hour before the soaps.
    Then the fun starts.

• Registered Users Posts: 948 ✭✭✭MrTrebus

just to muddy the waters lol
    Ive tried and deleted the new ATV image
    I normally try every new image that comes out but I ALWAYS end up back on the VTi image
    no matter what skin etc etc I always end up back there
    the latest ATV image crashed my box overnight on Friday night too,causing a boot loop :(
    So back to VTi and Im well happy now

BTW,must look into the permanent time shift feature. Never heard of it before !!
    I love this hobby :)

It's a great hobby alright, for me I use my boxes mainly as media players as well as recorders, started off with 1 in the bedroom that I could hook up to when I was travelling, now I have 3 of them, they aren't a whole lot more expensive than a FTA box and allows so much more functionality.

I've gotten out of the habit of updating the boxes to the latest images, I have installed the latest blackhole on my box now and I have to say I'm liking the XBMC interface and the permanent timeshift features.

ah crap,

Im gonna have to try out the latest blackhole image now LOL

it never EVER ends :)

MrTrebus wrote: »
    ah crap,

Im gonna have to try out the latest blackhole image now LOL

it never EVER ends :)

I like the whole Blackhole speed up thing, this allows you turn on and off features, for example, I'll never understand the want to know the weather when you're changing the channel, so I turn that off always, the new images has loads of options now, but don't disable Simba and then spend hours rebooting stuff cause you can't view your recordings from your phone anymore (hours really means minutes)

hhhmmmm

been trying that latest blackhole image tonight and a couple of things Ive noticed

there seems to be a bug where , when you dont use DHCP, it looses its DNS settings on reboot.
    Thats an issue for me as I like to keep the same IP every time !

There seems to be a restriction on the kind of skins that can be used, for example, my favorite current skin is the MyMetrix one. Seems though the BH team have withdrawn support for it .

Ah well, probably back to VTi in the morning so !

MrTrebus wrote: »
    hhhmmmm

been trying that latest blackhole image tonight and a couple of things Ive noticed

there seems to be a bug where , when you dont use DHCP, it looses its DNS settings on reboot.
    Thats an issue for me as I like to keep the same IP every time !

There seems to be a restriction on the kind of skins that can be used, for example, my favorite current skin is the MyMetrix one. Seems though the BH team have withdrawn support for it .

Ah well, probably back to VTi in the morning so !

I use static IP and I can't say that I've noticed any issue with DNS, I normally put my router as the primary DNS and google as my secondary and don't have any issues.

I normally keep the default image on it, I like the current 1 but if you find any new ones let me know and I'll give them a try. I must say I much prefer the BH images to the VIX ones.

currently running the newest VIX image and liking it !!
    New picon sets downloaded onto it and Im mostly happy with it, especially the info bar with the new picons
    Using either the "confluence" skin or ,currently, the MyNovum skin. There is another called SevenHD that's pretty decent but cant get the SNP picons to work with that :(
    Shame really as the new SNP picons look really good, certainly better than the "normal" SRP type picons.
    Cant get the mediaportal plugin to work but will do a little more research today on it !

overall.........good !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭bored_stupid

Useing openvix latest build myself at the moment i like the youvix hd blue skin and Mks picons for 28 east these ones .

http://www.openvix.co.uk/index.php?dir=***Picons***/MK%20Picons/220x132%20SNPicons/

Also when you,s reflash your box next time try flashexspander i use a 2 gig usb without any problems.

Then you can install the likes Hbbtv , ondemand , xbmc , muzu tv , skins , etc without havin the problem of your flash getting eatin up with plugins .

My little 1 is after getting a load of DVDs and wants to play them, I don't really want to have to hook up a DVD player to the TV, does anyone know of a DVD player I could get to work through the Solo2?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭pingitagain

Clareman wrote: »
    My little 1 is after getting a load of DVDs and wants to play them, I don't really want to have to hook up a DVD player to the TV, does anyone know of a DVD player I could get to work through the Solo2?[/QUOTE

It appears you could connect a usb dvd player

put wu wu wu fwd slash.world-of-satellite.com/showthread.php?6468-External-USB-DVD-R-RW-Not-Recognised
    cant post link as new user

• Registered Users Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭Apogee

My little 1 is after getting a load of DVDs and wants to play them, I don't really want to have to hook up a DVD player to the TV, does anyone know of a DVD player I could get to work through the Solo2?

If you copy the entire contents of the DVD onto a folder on the HDD, then the Solo2 should attempt to play it as a if it were a DVD.

Alt. rip the DVD contents as an .mp4 file and copy to HDD.

Apogee wrote: »
    If you copy the entire contents of the DVD onto a folder on the HDD, then the Solo2 should attempt to play it as a if it were a DVD.

Alt. rip the DVD contents as an .mp4 file and copy to HDD.

I have them all electronically already, she wants to put in the actual disk.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,380 ✭✭✭STB.

You are looking for a USB DVD Drive that a Linux box will understand ?

Best of luck with that Clareman ! Problems = needs more than 5v phantom power. Needs Drivers etc.

Use Format Free or Xmedia recode. Both free.

Convert to whatever format you want MKV, MP4 or AVI etc.

Re name the files etc and stick on your HDD or a USB stick.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭Apogee

In that case, I'd be inclined to get a cheapo DVD player and hook it up with an Auto-HDMI switch. She can mess away with that, leaving the Solo2 safe and sound.

Apogee wrote: »
    In that case, I'd be inclined to get a cheapo DVD player and hook it up with an Auto-HDMI switch. She can mess away with that, leaving the Solo2 safe and sound.

Actually that might be the best and simpliest idea, have it near the ground for her and all, now to find a cheaper auto-hdmi switch

• Registered Users Posts: 5,440 ✭✭✭swoofer

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,343 ✭✭✭bren2001

Wheres the best place to pick one of these up? They all seem to coming in around the 250e mark where I check.

Advertisement