Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vu+ Solo2

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭celticsfan

lads was just wondering can you just pop your sky digital card into one of these boxes and it will work away?do any of you watch the tv through the vu app on your tablets either? came close to getting one a few times but will get one from satboxes now i reckon.. thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭tapfit2004

celticsfan wrote: »
    lads was just wondering can you just pop your sky digital card into one of these boxes and it will work away?do any of you watch the tv through the vu app on your tablets either? came close to getting one a few times but will get one from satboxes now i reckon.. thanks

You can with the right softcam installed on the box but you are probably not allowed discuss that on this forum.

Have a google search for S.k.y and o.s.c.a.m (without the dots in between)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,183 ✭✭✭JMcL

do any of you watch the tv through the vu app on your tablets either? came close to getting one a few times but will get one from satboxes now i reckon.. thanks

I do occasionally, albeit I've a Duo2.

SD material works fine so long as you've a decent enough wi-fi connection. Without transcoding though, HD is a no-no.

At least using Vix, transcoding support is a bit hit and miss depending on build and driver versions. When it does work, it's ok but not brilliant. What's a real pain though is that you can't transcode recorded material for streaming. From looking at the Vix support forums, the Solo2 seems to have more issues regarding transcoding so YMMV. I haven't tried Blackhole or Pli so can't comment on those

• Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭minterno

I have the solo2 and can stream a channel to my pad or phone from the hard drive but as the previous poster has said high def is not great,the solo2 is great but the duo2 would be a better option if you intend touse the transcode function

• Registered Users Posts: 4 gazzam

hi guys,
    I will be buying a vu+solo2 in the next couple of weeks, I wanted to put in an internal hdd in the box and i have got a 250gb from a friend brand new. my question is should i format the hdd before i put it in the box or does the machine format its self. if i can format it before installing what is the best procedure for doing so.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,427 ✭✭✭swoofer

bear in mind the HD in the solo 2 is 2.5in. you are best formatting hd from solo2 as it will need formatting in ext3 or ext 4. But others will confirm as I am getting slowly but surely a bit out of touch.

• Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭manufan16

Have any solo2 owners running vix managed to get any CFIS shares working?

I can only get one folder/ drive working at any one time. After I have one drive/folder mounted and I attempt to do the next it seems to just overwrite the previous.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,502 ✭✭✭micks_address

Hi guys,

Have my solo 2 now for a week as a replacement for my duo... very nice box.. like the small footprint and i stuck a 1tb 2.5" drive in it.

No issues with it. Was just wondering what people are using for streaming apps on android devices? I installed enigmanoid from the play store and it seems to work pretty well.. was able to stream live tv to my nexus 5 and recorded programs..

Cheers,
    Mick

what image and version are you using?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,502 ✭✭✭micks_address

swoofer wrote: »
    what image and version are you using?

Vix

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

Hi guys,

Have my solo 2 now for a week as a replacement for my duo... very nice box.. like the small footprint and i stuck a 1tb 2.5" drive in it.

No issues with it. Was just wondering what people are using for streaming apps on android devices? I installed enigmanoid from the play store and it seems to work pretty well.. was able to stream live tv to my nexus 5 and recorded programs..

Cheers,
    Mick

I use the VU+ Player app, does everything I need and I've never had a problem with it. Here's the android link

• Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭manufan16

manufan16 wrote: »
    Have any solo2 owners running vix managed to get any CFIS shares working?

I can only get one folder/ drive working at any one time. After I have one drive/folder mounted and I attempt to do the next it seems to just overwrite the previous.

In the end I couldn't get CFIS Shares on VIX solo2 to work with WHS 2011 but after days of messing about I got an even better result by getting NFS WHS2011 shares mounted and working :)

Lads has anyone been able to contact satboxes.com at all lately.. Wanted to get a second one of these boxes, have been emailing all week without a reply...

Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭stanley1

Everything on that site seems to be out of stock.

stanley1 wrote: »
    Everything on that site seems to be out of stock.

Still seems to have some boxes for sale,but nearly all stock is cut in price..hope he hasnt packed it in.... anyone know anywhere else thats reliable to get a solo 2?

swords satellite have them for about 320, you might have to be quick its for weekend only.

http://www.swordssatellites.ie/index.php?route=product/product&path=100&product_id=232

swords satellite have them for about 320, you might have to be quick its for weekend only.

http://www.swordssatellites.ie/index.php?route=product/product&path=100&product_id=232

Thanks will have a look.. dont know much about them,the best thing about satboxes was the after sales support and setting up the box with images before sending it out and stuff..

have a look here and read carefully, they will load a lot for you.

http://www.satshop.fi/vu-solo2.html

and not a bad price

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭STB

HOW MUCH?

For a twin tuner!

Jaysus. I know this is a VU Solo thread and I dont mean to hijack it, but there is better value for money out there with the same hardware chips and speed and more plus an extra 2 tuners (DVB-T OR DVB-S) FOR €39 more.

this is a solo2 and you can load any image on it, that gigablue does not have a scart socket, you have to be careful which image you choose and so on, its cheap cos its a poor box trying to be something which it isn't. That link I posted gives you a solo2 with everything loaded.

And the vital bit, the support for a VU+ is mega which cant be said for the gigablue

• Advertisement

swoofer wrote: »
    this is a solo2 and you can load any image on it, that gigablue does not have a scart socket, you have to be careful which image you choose and so on, its cheap cos its a poor box trying to be something which it isn't. That link I posted gives you a solo2 with everything loaded.

And the vital bit, the support for a VU+ is mega which cant be said for the gigablue

You seem to have confused me with someone who doesnt know what they are talking about. I have an interest in all set top boxes and have a vast array of same, including a VU+. I am not your average user as I like taking things apart. My username might have given that away.

What do you mean its a poor box trying to be something it is not ? Do you have a gigablue ?

The new Quad plus box has the same system on chip as the VU+2 ranges in a BCM 7356.
    It also has 1gig DDR3 RAM.
    It also has 4 USB sockets.
    It also has 4 tuners modules (swapable, not fixed).
    It is supported by OpenATV and OpenMips and soon Openvix.
    It also has 1 gig lan.
    This forum, WOS, linuxsat and plenty of support.
    And all for €39 more.

Do you really think someone buying a €350 HD e2 box will be using a scart socket ?

Everything loaded ? seriously, that justifies Vu+ massively overpriced prooducts.

You have to be careful with any image for any e2 box as you can damage the bootloader if you flash the wrong one. The system on chip recovery is the same for all BCM chips, including the Vu+.

There is no justification for the inflated cost of VU+ over gigablue from what I have seen. Anyone trying to tell you anything else is trying to sell you something. I wouldnt have responded but your comments make me wonder why you would have such a closed perception. My advice was purely in response to the price of the Solo2, which I cannot fathom.

I know you are an expert but the gigablue is more overrated than the vu+solo2, I would rather pay more for a box that works instead of paying less for a box that works but needs a lot of effort. You cant load BH on a gigagblue so say the quad plus is is 359 and the solo2 2 is 320 I would get the solo2 everytime. You can add usb dtt to uno for 20 euro.

the support for the gigablue is pants in fact you are probably the best for gigablue.

a scart socket is essential for rf modulator.

the gigablue is good if you stick with Openatv and maybe vix but the vu+ rocks with every image.

I would never get a gigablue.

I am no expert, but I can give an honest opinion as I dont sell any boxes. Its just my experiences from tinkering with them.

I have used USB DVB-T on Vu+Uno. Its not stable. The signal varies too much. Blackhole have it working with various devices but Vix dont. There is a problem with Blindscan on BH, but fine on Vix. Internal tuners are the only solution.

The gigablue use the same hardware. The whole VU+ being a better quality box is something circulated by satellite retailers. Blackhole tied themselves into VU ages ago. There are plenty of teams out there. The emergence of OE Alliance put a stop of all the alligning of boxes with teams crap. Its where the build environment starts.

E2 images dont differ greatly outside the base image other than focussing more on UK if Vix. I find the Gigablue 800UE+ excellent.

I see you changed your username GBCullen! Wondering why I didnt recognise the name.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭x PHEONIX x

Vu+ are by no means problem free, I can list countless errors going all the way back to the Duo which Vu+ know about but have never fixed, in fact Vu+ in my opinion are just behind TM when it comes to their drivers and thats saying something.

as for the Vu+ having support from the mighty BH, I know a lot of the BH guys quite well but their image is based directly on the Vu+ OI which it self is almost a direct clone of pli's git from when they cloned the DMM git and almost 5 years out of date.

Dont get me wrong Gigablue like all manufacturers have had their own set of problems but no manufacturer is problem free, not even Vu+.

• Registered Users Posts: 620 ✭✭✭SmithySeller

To give a bit of balance. I plumped for the VU+Duo2 because it had all three essential items I needed, twin S2 & T2 (knowing it was coming down the line) 1GB LAN connection and SCART connection for a Triax Tri-Link. Its the only reason I went for it over the Gigablue Q, but they are tangible reasons that cant be argued against.
    I wouldn't hesitate recommending all three boxes to anybody based on their needs, but more often than not I mostly recommend the Gigablue (best meets Irish needs, most of the time). Support is certainly good for all boxes.

• Registered Users Posts: 758 ✭✭✭fmul9798

Hi - I wondered if any Vu+ Solo 2 owners running VIX had a recommended USB DVB-T tuner that they use for Saorview, and which runs with no issues under VIX?
    In addition, are there any dual DVB-T tuners available apart from PlayTV which can be used with the Solo 2 under VIX?
    Hoping someone with experience can help.

-fm

• Registered Users Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭radiowaves

fmul9798 wrote: »
    Hi - I wondered if any Vu+ Solo 2 owners running VIX had a recommended USB DVB-T tuner that they use for Saorview, and which runs with no issues under VIX?
    In addition, are there any dual DVB-T tuners available apart from PlayTV which can be used with the Solo 2 under VIX?

-fm

From my understanding Blackhole will load all the drivers you need to do this.

Although I use Blackhole I cannot comment on your particular query because I receive Saorsat but all the reports I have read have suggested no issues.

Somebody else will be along to confirm whether any work on Vix.

-fm

Sony Play TV twin tuner is what i used on the vu duo,should work on the Solo2.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭fbradyirl

-fm

I use the Play TV on my Duo2 using VIX with no issues at all. All you need to do is install the dib0700 driver from feeds. I'm sure the Solo2 works equally as well since it also has that driver in feeds.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 758 ✭✭✭fmul9798

Just wanted to say thanks to each of you for the playtv recommendation - certainly seems the simplest option.

Advertisement