Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kilkenny GAA Discussion Thread Mod Warning Post # 5885 #4894 & #5202

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭unrealtime

I am quite content about my comment that Ger Aylward used to be a scoring machine. Game after game at underage he hit over point after point. If, and it's a big if for me, he keeps up yesterday's form, he may become a scoring machine again.

Walter could be really good with his size and skill, but he just does not deliver. When Colin's eye clears up, he will take over, I think. I also believe that John Joe and Mark have plenty to offer.

Holden is the one real question mark. This team is very young - average age of about 26 years so it is still developing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭savannahkat

A fit Ritchie Power and Colin Fenelly simply have to start. On yesterdays performances John and Walter would have to make way. There is no need to change anything else. Joey Holden was quite good and the game will have done him a power of good. I like every one else here know how brilliant JJ was but it is also a fact that he was losing pace over the past two or so years and getting caught a little bit more often each year. The big test for Joey will be Joe Canning and I believe Holden will pass it with flying colors.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭deadybai

unrealtime wrote: »
    I am quite content about my comment that Ger Aylward used to be a scoring machine. Game after game at underage he hit over point after point. If, and it's a big if for me, he keeps up yesterday's form, he may become a scoring machine again.

Walter could be really good with his size and skill, but he just does not deliver. When Colin's eye clears up, he will take over, I think. I also believe that John Joe and Mark have plenty to offer.

Holden is the one real question mark. This team is very young - average age of about 26 years so it is still developing.

I could be wrong but I'd imagine 26 is a fairly old average age compared with other counties.

• Registered Users Posts: 931 ✭✭✭Cornerback1

deadybai wrote: »
    I could be wrong but I'd imagine 26 is a fairly old average age compared with other counties.

By the way, does anyone know the exact average age of yesterday's starting team? Not that it matters but would be interesting to see. When you take Hogan, JJ, Henry and Taggy etc from it, it must bring it down a bit.

As for yesterday, performance was very good. You can only beat what is put up against you and it's good to get the first game over. As someone mentioned earlier, Galway will be a different challenge. What Galway will turn up on Leinster Final day? Tannion may switch to Walter Walsh and not play No.6 on Richie. He may target WW winning puck outs. Walter fleets in and out of games and just needs consistency in his game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭danganabu

KK's forwards will crush that Galway defence, they still have no centre back or full back, an ongoing problem.

Galways forwards on teh other hand will give KK lots of problems and will be interesting to see how Holden holds up, thought Tyrell looked a bit ropey yesterday but hard to judge on yesterdays gmae.

Can't see how when Power and Fennelly are available that Walter Walsh starts, I mean if you take out his AI Final performance in 2012 his senior career has been pretty much a damp squib, great man to win primary possession but seems very slow and laboured once in possession.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭PlayByTheRules

Holden is gonna get a roasting off Canning if there is high ball going in on the box. He is catching everything at the moment. Holden needed to be tested more yesterday.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,890 ✭✭✭blackcard

Holden is gonna get a roasting off Canning if there is high ball going in on the box. He is catching everything at the moment. Holden needed to be tested more yesterday.

I think Joey is the best option we have, Paul Murphy was tried and didn't work out. There is no other obvious option, I wouldn't be confident with Michael Walsh. I expect Cody will be imparting a lot of advice over the next 10 days. He could do worse than invite JJ to have a word with Joey

• Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭savannahkat

It wont happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,333 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

It wont happen.

As ever it depends on the supply of ball coming in. If Canning gets a good supply he will roast Holden. Much like Seamus Callanan roasted Richie McCarthy at the weekend. With lads that skilled and talented you have to deny them easy possession and make them have to win dirty ball.

• Registered Users Posts: 530 ✭✭✭Topcat32

danganabu wrote: »
    KK's forwards will crush that Galway defence, they still have no centre back or full back, an ongoing problem.

Galways forwards on teh other hand will give KK lots of problems and will be interesting to see how Holden holds up, thought Tyrell looked a bit ropey yesterday but hard to judge on yesterdays gmae.

Can't see how when Power and Fennelly are available that Walter Walsh starts, I mean if you take out his AI Final performance in 2012 his senior career has been pretty much a damp squib, great man to win primary possession but seems very slow and laboured once in possession.
    Played well against Dublin in 2013 and against Tipp in Nowlan park that year, other than that he hasnt set the world alight, but he is talented, I think he is quite good in possession but does not win as much ball as you would expect with his size

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,704 ✭✭✭citykat

As ever it depends on the supply of ball coming in. If Canning gets a good supply he will roast Holden. Much like Seamus Callanan roasted Richie McCarthy at the weekend. With lads that skilled and talented you have to deny them easy possession and make them have to win dirty ball.

Maybe. Maybe not. Joey held one of the most talked about hurlers in the country on Sunday. He has big boots to fill but tbf he didn't do a whole lot wrong yesterday.
    I can see KK setting up (in the Leinster final) similar to the replay in Tullamore last year. We saw how the Galway forward line thrives with space a la the Dublin replay. If KK give them that kind of space in the Leinster final, it'll be 2012 all over again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,446 ✭✭✭glued

Is Paul Murphy a realistic option for FB if Holden doesn't work out. Has he played there for his club?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,841 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

glued wrote: »
    Is Paul Murphy a realistic option for FB if Holden doesn't work out. Has he played there for his club?

He played there during the league and did ok without doing great, I don't like him there, not least because he's the best corner back in the country right now so playing him in that position should be done where at all possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 482 ✭✭donnem33

It wont happen.

only time will tell! :P

He played there during the league and did ok without doing great, I don't like him there, not least because he's the best corner back in the country right now so playing him in that position should be done where at all possible.

Interesting to see Robert Lennon come on yesterday, possible long term solution for full back, some good defenders on the under 21 team too.

glued wrote: »

He plays both full and centre back for his club. Given the trouble he had in the two games against Clare, I dont see him being selected FB for KK.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,446 ✭✭✭glued

Always thought he could make a good full back but maybe that's just because he's built like a full back. Do you think Cody would move him in there if Canning is getting the better of Holden?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,331 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

By the way, does anyone know the exact average age of yesterday's starting team? Not that it matters but would be interesting to see. When you take Hogan, JJ, Henry and Taggy etc from it, it must bring it down a bit.

I don't know Ger Aylward's age, but the average for the other 14 players is 26.
    Take out Jackie T and the average falls to 25 :pac:

EDIT: Ger is 23, so the average age of the starting 15 on Sunday was 25.

Topcat32 wrote: »
    Interesting to see Robert Lennon come on yesterday, possible long term solution for full back, some good defenders on the under 21 team too.

Looks like he's leap frogged Walsh in the pecking order. Steady enough when he came on.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭pmy.murphy

citykat wrote: »
    Looks like he's leap frogged Walsh in the pecking order. Steady enough when he came on.

He wasnt great for the U21s last year but he certainly has all the attributes to be a very good intercounty hurler. Hes good in the air, skillfull and hes a big lad. Hopefully Lennon can develop as I reckon he can.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,890 ✭✭✭blackcard

pmy.murphy wrote: »
    He wasnt great for the U21s last year but he certainly has all the attributes to be a very good intercounty hurler. Hes good in the air, skillfull and hes a big lad. Hopefully Lennon can develop as I reckon he can.

Hope Robert gets a run in the league next year, tbh I would see him more as a half back, as you say he is skilful and big but I think he could be turned in the full back line. I would be hopeful that Joey would make the full back position his own but it took time for even JJ to settle there

pmy.murphy wrote: »

Aylward was the standout KK player that night. I thought Robbie and Conor O Shea weren't far behind tbf. We lost it in the forwards that night. AFAIR 5/6 of the forwards were taken off that night. I like the cut of Lennon. He's a big lad with skill and doesn't look too slow. Joey is the man in possession of the jersey but he'll know better than anyone, especially after last year, that he's only as good as his last game.

Aylward was the standout KK player that night. I thought Robbie and Conor O Shea weren't far behind tbf. We lost it in the forwards that night. AFAIR 5/6 of the forwards were taken off that night. I like the cut of Lennon. He's a big lad with skill and doesn't look too slow. Joey is the man in possession of the jersey but he'll know better than anyone, especially after last year, that he's only as good as his last game.
    I presume Alyward will get a run with the intermediates this year if he is around for the sumner

• Registered Users Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭pmy.murphy

I agree completely. Aylward and Richie Reid too I thought were the standouts that night especially the former. Aylward did very well on Conor McDonald I thought

Im surprised he didnt get a run with the Seniors this year especially considering Mvat came in fresh off winning the Intermediate Championship and two of his clubmates were involved earlier in the year during the league on the back of that success.

• Registered Users Posts: 684 ✭✭✭Toblerone1978

blackcard wrote: »
    but it took time for even JJ to settle there

Excellent point and it's one I hear JJ making on the media. JJ wasn't great when he first went back to the FB position. While Paul Murphy just look like someone who could never settle there, I hope more patient is given to Joey Holden for when he is truly tested.

Although luckily no better man than Cody to not bow to the pressure of the public when he always knows better!!

Maybe. Maybe not. Joey held one of the most talked about hurlers in the country on Sunday. He has big boots to fill but tbf he didn't do a whole lot wrong yesterday.
    I can see KK setting up (in the Leinster final) similar to the replay in Tullamore last year. We saw how the Galway forward line thrives with space a la the Dublin replay. If KK give them that kind of space in the Leinster final, it'll be 2012 all over again.

To be fair now the ball or lack thereof into McDonald was criminal, ironically it would have been better for KK if there had of been a bit more, the doubts will remaiin until truely tested, like you say he has handled evcerything so far but bigger tests lie ahead.

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭Kilkennyfella

Topcat32 wrote: »
    I played minor football against Scotland who where basically made up of 3 club teams from the same housing estate in Glasgow. Also played against New York who we beat by a point twice, the second time with a last minute goal from Adam Holden from Castlecomer who was an excellent footballer.

Super basketballer too.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 peakedatU12

Lads, is it just me or is Donal O'Grady the most bitter little Cork Gnome who ever lived.
    On Sunday game Dessie asks him - what was good about the KK performance - it was like he was asking Adolf what he particularly liked about Jews.

Best DOG could come up with was - Rucks -

1. They are very good at these rucks that develop - put their foot over the ball (insinuating some kind of systematic cheating).

2. The other thing we are good at - is taking too many steps .. and "something needs to be done ...".
    No analysis of the steps taken by any other teams/players .. just KK.

This has been going on for years - he's not an objective analyst when it comes to KK (and a miserable git at the best of times).

I feel better now .. thanks

Lads, is it just me or is Donal O'Grady the most bitter little Cork Gnome who ever lived.
    On Sunday game Dessie asks him - what was good about the KK performance - it was like he was asking Adolf what he particularly liked about Jews.

1. They are very good at these rucks that develop - put their foot over the ball (insinuating some kind of systematic cheating).

2. The other thing we are good at - is taking too many steps .. and "something needs to be done ...".

This has been going on for years - he's not an objective analyst when it comes to KK (and a miserable git at the best of times).

Its the price of success, people focus more on KK cos simply they are the best. It's when people stop talking about you that you should be worried.

• Advertisement

He's been at for years on TG4 where his comments are more ridiculous. Doesn't get as much notice though as gaeilge.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement