Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kilkenny GAA Discussion Thread Mod Warning Post # 5885 #4894 & #5202

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,704 ✭✭✭citykat

Unfortunately I feel that Wexford will beat this Kilkenny team quite comfortably.

Didn't get to the match last night but watched Wexford Vs Offaly on the box. That Wexford team are no world beaters by any stretch. Heavily dependent on McDonald (who I thought was reasonably quiet) and Foley at CF. Offaly were in this match for most of the game but gifted Wexford two soft goals. It could have been closer if Offaly had been more clinical in front of goal. After the match last night, there shouldn't be any swelled heads for the Leinster final.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,542 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

Provincial football championship Final Broughton Rugby Club 109 Granton Road Edinburgh EH5 3NJ Sat 27th June 2015
    Scotland v Kilkenny 6pm

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭wingbacknr5

citykat wrote: »
    Didn't get to the match last night but watched Wexford Vs Offaly on the box. That Wexford team are no world beaters by any stretch. Heavily dependent on McDonald (who I thought was reasonably quiet) and Foley at CF. Offaly were in this match for most of the game but gifted Wexford two soft goals. It could have been closer if Offaly had been more clinical in front of goal. After the match last night, there shouldn't be any swelled heads for the Leinster final.

In fairness the second Wexford goal was a fantastic move from their own end line.

In fairness the second Wexford goal was a fantastic move from their own end line.

Nice flowing move but there was nobody chasing the runner off McDonald's flick. Was that goal scored off the hurl thrown by Ryan?

• Registered Users Posts: 494 ✭✭68deville

Nice flowing move but there was nobody chasing the runner off McDonald's flick. Was that goal scored off the hurl thrown by Ryan?

if kk scored that goal ya would hear some crap bout it!!skill,instinct etc etc
    etc etc

• Advertisement

68deville wrote: »
    if kk scored that goal ya would hear some crap bout it!!skill,instinct etc etc
    etc etc

if kk scored that goal ya would hear some crap bout dark arts/forces/spare arm etc...:D

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭wingbacknr5

The Offaly backs were a bit loose but its hard to defend against players running into space at speed to collect first time flicks.

Personally I thought the goal was a thing of beauty and something we are unlikely to see at senior level due to the more cynical nature of defenders therein.

Ironically it came from an Offaly goal chance breaking down; had it been converted Kilkenny could well be preparing for a different opponent in the Leinster final!

• Registered Users Posts: 684 ✭✭✭Toblerone1978

Nice flowing move but there was nobody chasing the runner off McDonald's flick.

Whatever Offaly didn't do, it doesn't take away from the fact it was some really nice play and teamwork from Wexford.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,141 Mod ✭✭✭✭bruschi

Offaly were outscored by 2-9 to 1-4 in the second half, the goal being one of the last pucks of the game for them. Wexford totally dominated the second half, and Offaly were never in it from half time. And closer if Offaly were more clinical? Wexford hit 12 wides in that second half alone. Wexford coasted into the final in the game last night, and with only McDonald and Foley showing, which as you say is not a good thing for Wexford. I wouldnt be over confident for Wexford, but that game last night was a cakewalk for them and wasnt a test at all which Kilkenny got against Dublin at least, and a bit last night by all accounts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭danganabu

IrishAlice wrote: »
    I don't think it's harsh at all. The language used in the media when describing Kilkenny is always more negative than it is when describing any other team. O'Grady isn't alone in that regard.

Limerick v Tipp was a one sided affair Sunday and there was nothing "unfortunate" about 3 Tipp players being nominated for MOTM.

Myself and everyone around me in the park on Sunday were amazed at the work rate of Lee Chin. There were other good performances from the Wexford team but he was the one that stood out for me.

Will you stop, Ger Loughnane never stoped having a cut off Tipp and Tomas Mulcahy nearly wet himself some of the bile Loughnane was coming out with was so ludicrous.

All teams at the top of their respective sports suffer from this and all supporters think its only their team that suffer from it.

Andrew Shore was far more affective that Chin on Sunday, Chin won and hit an amount of ball and I know his options were limited but some of the ball he hit was terrible, just hit as far as possible for the sake of it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭Kilkennyfella

KevIRL wrote: »
    Provincial football championship Final Broughton Rugby Club 109 Granton Road Edinburgh EH5 3NJ Sat 27th June 2015
    Scotland v Kilkenny 6pm

And they say we have no interest in Football? We are playing a whole country for christ sake!

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭Kilkennyfella

I agree about Wexford not been world beaters Citykat but in my opinion this Kilkenny team is not good and very lucky to be in the Leinster Final. I would expect Wexford to win by 5/6 points, obviously i hope i am wrong and as we know it's all on the day so anything can happen!

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭unrealtime

you can only win to go forward and that's what the under-21s did once more. This team has the guts and the ability to go all the way

• Registered Users Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭pmy.murphy

I agree about Wexford not been world beaters Citykat but in my opinion this Kilkenny team is not good and very lucky to be in the Leinster Final. I would expect Wexford to win by 5/6 points, obviously i hope i am wrong and as we know it's all on the day so anything can happen!

I think its a decent team we have although not one of our best. A lot depends on the forwards in the Leinster Final and stopping some of Wexfords key players along with the fact were due a beating of Wexford at this grade. On paper theres some very good hurlers in that forward line but hurlers who are reknowned to blow hot and cold the likes of Conor Martin/Willie Brennan etc. if the forwards catch fire Id fancy us to do well.

I thought Ciaran Ryan Full Forward was an interesting move last time and he did very well from what I heard. Hes a very versatile and talented hurler who can play anywhere on the field and whether Bolger is back or not Id like to see him left there on Liam Ryan. I think hes the best man for the job to place on Liam Ryan with possibly Willie Brennan dropping to the bench if he is. Would definately match Liam Ryan for tenacity and skill

• Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭savannahkat

Nice not so little article about Kilkenny in the Indo today written by Tomas O'Shea. Sorry cannot post the link ,someone else here might know how to do it.

Nice not so little article about Kilkenny in the Indo today written by Tomas O'Shea. Sorry cannot post the link ,someone else here might know how to do it.

Here ye go.

http://www.independent.ie/sport/gaelic-games/hurling/tomas-s-nowlan-park-visit-a-reminder-of-hurlings-enduring-beauty-31330723.html

• Registered Users Posts: 13,331 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

Very nice article by Tomás O'Sé indeed.
    Well worth a read.

• Registered Users Posts: 931 ✭✭✭Cornerback1

Anybody hazard a guess how many will be at the Leinster Final? Might go down on the Sunday morning.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,428 ✭✭✭Powerhouse

Very nice article by Tomás O'Sé indeed.
    Well worth a read.

That's the second poster who described Ó Sé's article as "nice" which really is a word to damn it with faint praise. I think by any objective measure this article is a piece of claptrap.

It was a 24/25 (?) point game? Of course there was no pulling and dragging. What did he expect? A sweat-inducing arm wrestle to the death to decide whether Kilkenny would make it to 26 points and better Wexford's margin against Limerick in last year's championship exit.

Kilkenny had no opposition in Wexford so of course Cody was expressionless. What did Ó Sé expect? Wind back to the 2012 All-Ireland v Galway when he was popping a blood vessel shouting into Anthony Cunningham's ear on the sideline. That might tell us more about Cody I think.

And young people out hurling? Big swinging Mickey. Get out more Tomás.

With Dublin-Kildare and Donegal-Derry coming up at the weekend Ó Sé'd have been better off sticking to his own area of expertise. You don't need 5/6 All Ireland football medals to do a first year 'day at a hurling match' essay. He's still finding his feet in the media game but this effort was a bit of a 'mare as they say.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,331 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

Powerhouse wrote: »
    That's the second poster who described Ó Sé's article as "nice" which really is a word to damn it with faint praise. I think by any objective measure this article is a piece of claptrap.

It was a 24/25 (?) point game? Of course there was no pulling and dragging. What did he expect? A sweat-inducing arm wrestle to the death to decide whether Kilkenny would make it to 26 points and better Wexford's margin against Limerick in last year's championship exit.

Kilkenny had no opposition in Wexford so of course Cody was expressionless. What did Ó Sé expect? Wind back to the 2012 All-Ireland v Galway when he was popping a blood vessel shouting into Anthony Cunningham's ear on the sideline. That might tell us more about Cody I think.

With Dublin-Kildare and Donegal-Derry coming up at the weekend Ó Sé'd have been better off sticking to his own area of expertise. You don't need 5/6 All Ireland football medals to do a first year 'day at a hurling match' essay. He's still finding his feet in the media game but this effort was a bit of a 'mare as they say.

Did you get out of bed the wrong side this morning? You've got a lot of animosity for O'Sé.

• Advertisement

Did you get out of bed the wrong side this morning? You've got a lot of animosity for O'Sé.

The fact that you target me with comments rather than defending the quality of what Ó Sé wrote says it all.

• Registered Users Posts: 536 ✭✭✭Topcat32

It was an opinion piece based on his experience of a game which he made clear that he is not an expert about. Complimentry to all parties, clearly no axe to grind or chip on his shoulder, very refreshing I thought.

Topcat32 wrote: »

It was an opinion piece based on his experience of a game which he made clear that he is not an expert about.

The fact that he made it clear he is not an expert raises the question of why he should write it at all rather than excusing it. Two of the favourites for the All Ireland football are playing this weekend. He was not short of material. He could have left 'Our Day Out' to Willy Russell.

Being nice complimentary woolly stuff is hardly "refreshing". The local GAA notes tick that box for those who want that warm fuzzy feeling....."best of luck to Mikey on Sunday" etc.

But I suppose when your county is getting a good brown-nosing it's hard to objectify the whole business and any kind of tripe will pass muster.

The fact that he made it clear he is not an expert raises the question of why he should write it at all rather than excusing it. Two of the favourites for the All Ireland football are playing this weekend. He was not short of material. He could have left 'Our Day Out' to Willy Russell.

Being nice complimentary woolly stuff is hardly "refreshing". The local GAA notes tick that box for those who want that warm fuzzy feeling....."best of luck to Mikey on Sunday" etc.

But I suppose when your county is getting a good brown-nosing it's hard to objectify the whole business and any kind of tripe will pass muster.
    Oh yeah, your using the article to show your insecurity about Kilkenny in what you believe is a reasoned and intellectual manner, gives you something to do on a Friday night I suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,933 ✭✭✭Rosita

Just had a read of it there and it is desperately weak stuff no doubt. I there's no harm in being honest about that. :cool:

Topcat32 wrote: »
    Oh yeah, your using the article to show your insecurity about Kilkenny in what you believe is a reasoned and intellectual manner, gives you something to do on a Friday night I suppose.

You should get at least two more 'thanks' from the bies for that withering put-down I'd say! ;)

You should get at least two more 'thanks' from the bies for that withering put-down I'd say! ;)

Yawn!! Too much time on your hands during the summer

• Registered Users Posts: 10,863 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

Yeah you're right, you're just being totally objective and focused on the article here, nothing at all to do with any lingering animosity towards Kilkenny at all. Supposedly weak writing just really gets to you and you always get this worked up about articles you didn't like. And there's no evidence of a preoccupation with Kilkenny at all, just objective journalistic critique. Inspirational stuff. Well done.

Yeah you're right, you're just being totally objective and focused on the article here, nothing at all to do with any lingering animosity towards Kilkenny at all. Supposedly weak writing just really gets to you and you always get this worked up about articles you didn't like. And there's no evidence of a preoccupation with Kilkenny at all, just objective journalistic critique. Inspirational stuff. Well done.

Fair play. It obviously takes one paragon of objectivity to recognise another.:p
    Like you'd have no predisposition on this matter yourself at all at all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,933 ✭✭✭Rosita

Yeah you're right, you're just being totally objective and focused on the article here.

Pot. Kettle. Black. :cool:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement