Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kilkenny GAA Discussion Thread Mod Warning Post # 5885 #4894 & #5202

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 557 ✭✭✭IrishAlice

Lads, is it just me or is Donal O'Grady the most bitter little Cork Gnome who ever lived.
    On Sunday game Dessie asks him - what was good about the KK performance - it was like he was asking Adolf what he particularly liked about Jews.

Best DOG could come up with was - Rucks -

1. They are very good at these rucks that develop - put their foot over the ball (insinuating some kind of systematic cheating).

2. The other thing we are good at - is taking too many steps .. and "something needs to be done ...".
    No analysis of the steps taken by any other teams/players .. just KK.

This has been going on for years - he's not an objective analyst when it comes to KK (and a miserable git at the best of times).

I feel better now .. thanks

I never actually noticed it until Sunday night's show. The part that annoyed me most was when Des asked him for the Man of the Match nominees and he said "unfortunately there were 3 nominations from Kilkenny".

They never once mentioned a Wexford player who had a good enough performance to merit a nomination (How Lee Chin wasn't nominated is beyond me!) yet it's unfortunate that 3 KK players were chosen!

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭unrealtime

He did analyse steps by other teams and other fouls and, indeed, he was quite restrained in his comments.
    #
    He will never fully accept how great we have been but at least he was not accusing us of being close to the edge, etc. as is his wont.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭danganabu

IrishAlice wrote: »
    I never actually noticed it until Sunday night's show. The part that annoyed me most was when Des asked him for the Man of the Match nominees and he said "unfortunately there were 3 nominations from Kilkenny".

They never once mentioned a Wexford player who had a good enough performance to merit a nomination (How Lee Chin wasn't nominated is beyond me!) yet it's unfortunate that 3 KK players were chosen!

Ah you're been a bit harsh there now, all he merely meant by that was that it was a completly one sided game, which of course nobody wants.

Lee Chin wasn't even the best player in Wexfords half back line btw!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,815 ✭✭✭Charlie69

danganabu wrote: »
    To be fair now the ball or lack thereof into McDonald was criminal, ironically it would have been better for KK if there had of been a bit more, the doubts will remaiin until truely tested, like you say he has handled evcerything so far but bigger tests lie ahead.
    Agree with this, our workrate over the successful years, not allowing good ball to be played in to opposing forwards has been the catalyst for our biggest victories.
    It was the same on Sunday, Trojan work from Larkin, Conor Fogarty and co meant what little ball did come McDonald's way was of poor quality and easily dealt with by our defence. Bigger tests lie ahead for Joey.

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭droppingball

Happy with how Kilkenny played but they were hardly tested. Fitness wise they looked like they were in great shape and the hunger and workrate was great but two weeks time will be a big test. Surely Joe will go in on on Joey Holden and Galway will try and create space but if we deny them goals they will find it hard to outpoint us.

Delighted with Conor Fogarty, Mick Fennelly and Larkin cos they mop up loose ball and work so hard that it gives more scope for Richie Hogan and TJ Reid to do damage. Larkin kept deep and was drawing men and fouls by running down the centre.

Obviously Ger Alyward will be a massive plus, his directness offers another option and he is fed diagonal ball he will do damage. Hope the short puckouts stop as we win enough primary and secondary ball of the puck outs.

Roll on Sunday week

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 624 ✭✭✭babyjesus14

Lads, is it just me or is Donal O'Grady the most bitter little Cork Gnome who ever lived.
    On Sunday game Dessie asks him - what was good about the KK performance - it was like he was asking Adolf what he particularly liked about Jews.

1. They are very good at these rucks that develop - put their foot over the ball (insinuating some kind of systematic cheating).

2. The other thing we are good at - is taking too many steps .. and "something needs to be done ...".

This has been going on for years - he's not an objective analyst when it comes to KK (and a miserable git at the best of times).

This has being going on for years, this was the man who predicted a fallow period for Kilkenny on the SG night of the All-Ieland semi defeat to Galway back on '05. He can barely conceal his contempt for us and the more we win the more bitter he becomes, i actually quite enjoy it! The one that makes me laugh the most is when he will bring Kilkenny into the conversation in a game that they are not even playing in when referencing some negative aspect of the game!

On a different theme no Diarmuid Cody or Chris Bolger tomorrow night, i assume they are injuried? Tho Cody could have no complaints if he was dropped after his performance against Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,704 ✭✭✭citykat

On a different theme no Diarmuid Cody or Chris Bolger tomorrow night, i assume they are injuried? Tho Cody could have no complaints if he was dropped after his performance against Dublin.

Bolger fractured a kneecap. Not sure on Cody. He was with the panel on Sun strolling around in a track suit.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,324 ✭✭✭robwen

TG4 showing the Wexford v Offaly game live tomorrow evening anyone know if they will show highlights of the Kilkenny game at any stage during the week?

citykat wrote: »
    Bolger fractured a kneecap. Not sure on Cody. He was with the panel on Sun strolling around in a track suit.

Interview with Bolger in todays indo has no mention of him having an injury, seems he`s all set to play tomorrow night, article is mainly about him playing against his cousin & former team mates from when he hurled with Mount Leinster Rangers for a spell in his younger days

http://www.independent.ie/sport/gaelic-games/hurling/cats-star-chris-bolger-puts-family-ties-and-friendships-on-hold-31322177.html

OK seems Bolger is injured strange it wasn`t mentioned in Indo article

Kilkenny

1. Darren Brennan (St. Lachtains)
    2. Conor Delaney (Erin’s Own)
    3. Ciarán Wallace (Erin’s Own)
    4. Evan Cody (Dicksboro) (Capt)
    5. Jason Cleere (Bennettstbridge)
    6. Enda Morrissey (Bennettsbridge)
    7. Brian Troy (Emeralds)
    8. Paddy Deegan (O’Loughlin Gaels)
    9. Mark Mansfield (Mullinavat)
    10. Conor Martin (Emeralds)
    11. Willie Brennan (Fenians)
    12. James Maher (St Lachtain’s)
    13. Liam Hickey (St Lachtain’s)
    14. Ciarán Ryan (Rower/Inistioge)
    15. Liam Blanchfield (Bennettsbridge)
    Subs
    16. Daragh Holohan (Dicksboro)
    17. Huw Lawler (O’Loughlin Gaels)
    18. Rob Moran (Erin’s Own)
    19. Kevin Blanchfield (Bennettsbridge)
    20. Luke Scanlon (James Stephens)
    21. Niall Mullins (James Stephens)
    22. Tom Phelan (Conahy Shamrocks)
    23. Jack McGrath (James Stephens)
    24. Séan Morrissey (Bennettsbridge)

http://www.the42.ie/kilkenny-carlow-leinster-u21-2176830-Jun2015/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭pmy.murphy

robwen wrote: »
    OK seems Bolger is injured strange it wasn`t mentioned in Indo article

Kilkenny

1. Darren Brennan (St. Lachtains)
    2. Conor Delaney (Erin’s Own)
    3. Ciarán Wallace (Erin’s Own)
    4. Evan Cody (Dicksboro) (Capt)
    5. Jason Cleere (Bennettstbridge)
    6. Enda Morrissey (Bennettsbridge)
    7. Brian Troy (Emeralds)
    8. Paddy Deegan (O’Loughlin Gaels)
    9. Mark Mansfield (Mullinavat)
    10. Conor Martin (Emeralds)
    11. Willie Brennan (Fenians)
    12. James Maher (St Lachtain’s)
    13. Liam Hickey (St Lachtain’s)
    14. Ciarán Ryan (Rower/Inistioge)
    15. Liam Blanchfield (Bennettsbridge)
    Subs
    16. Daragh Holohan (Dicksboro)
    17. Huw Lawler (O’Loughlin Gaels)
    18. Rob Moran (Erin’s Own)
    19. Kevin Blanchfield (Bennettsbridge)
    20. Luke Scanlon (James Stephens)
    21. Niall Mullins (James Stephens)
    22. Tom Phelan (Conahy Shamrocks)
    23. Jack McGrath (James Stephens)
    24. Séan Morrissey (Bennettsbridge)

http://www.the42.ie/kilkenny-carlow-leinster-u21-2176830-Jun2015/

Strong team though not entirely convinced by Morrissey at CB. I know he plays there and quite well I might add for the Bridge but he really struggled last year in this team out on the wing and looked so far off the pace of Intercounty hurling. I would hope that hes improved from that and will offer more than Diarmuid Cody did last time out. Barring the obvious reason I dont know how the hell he is on the Senior training panel. Not good enough. Is he injured too by the way?

Other than that very strong team. Brian Troy did very well at Fitzgibbon level this year and is well able to hurl so good to see him getting a chance at this level. Few good subs to bring on too such as Scanlon and Tom Phelan who I was impressed with the last night when he came on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,544 ✭✭✭Stacksofwacks

Tomas Mulcahy is just as bad. It almost crucifies him to give credit to anyone else outside of Cork and when he does its patronizing at best

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭wingbacknr5

robwen wrote: »
    TG4 showing the Wexford v Offaly game live tomorrow evening anyone know if they will show highlights of the Kilkenny game at any stage during the week?

GAA 2015 next Monday night at 8.30 on TG4 will probably show a few minutes of this game.

• Registered Users Posts: 557 ✭✭✭IrishAlice

danganabu wrote: »
    Ah you're been a bit harsh there now, all he merely meant by that was that it was a completly one sided game, which of course nobody wants.

Lee Chin wasn't even the best player in Wexfords half back line btw!

I don't think it's harsh at all. The language used in the media when describing Kilkenny is always more negative than it is when describing any other team. O'Grady isn't alone in that regard.

Limerick v Tipp was a one sided affair Sunday and there was nothing "unfortunate" about 3 Tipp players being nominated for MOTM.

Myself and everyone around me in the park on Sunday were amazed at the work rate of Lee Chin. There were other good performances from the Wexford team but he was the one that stood out for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 644 ✭✭✭jeff bingham

Id agree Chins workrate was unreal,but his distribution was off a small bit on the day. Hit a couple of balls straight to kk backs

• Registered Users Posts: 2,704 ✭✭✭citykat

I don't think it's harsh at all. The language used in the media when describing Kilkenny is always more negative than it is when describing any other team. O'Grady isn't alone in that regard.

Limerick v Tipp was a one sided affair Sunday and there was nothing "unfortunate" about 3 Tipp players being nominated for MOTM.

Myself and everyone around me in the park on Sunday were amazed at the work rate of Lee Chin. There were other good performances from the Wexford team but he was the one that stood out for me.

Chin tried hard and in fairness was up against Richie. He though got caught in possession with hooks/blocks and aimless solo runs too often. Thought Shore had a better game tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭Justice for the individual

Yes, agree with you regarding Lee Chin. At times, he was getting the ball between 3/4 Kilkenny players and still able to break free and clear. His only fault was that his clearances were a bit loose.

Joyce as well showed the same ability and strength and was just as impressive, but directed his clearances better.
    Joyce and Lee Chin should have been contenders for MOTM.

Murphy in goal for Kilkenny made some brilliant saves to deny Wexford any chance of getting back into the game and at times does not get the credit he deserves.

Another thing unremarked about here was the sportsmanship shown by both teams, and in particular Wexford, who were having a bad day, but no doubt will show their true form in the qualifiers.

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭droppingball

Anyone any news on Colin Fennellys injury, bit of a concern as I feel John Power and Walter are bit hot and cold and that we might be able to start one but two together could work against us when we face better teams that Wexford. Id like to see Colin in for John Power.

I think Walter is working hard and a few games might do him a bit of good, if he could bag a couple of scores and get some confidence we may get more from him. John Power may offer more off the bench but I think we will have to remain patient with him as he has loads of potential and plenty of hurling. That would probably be the only change for the next day.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,743 ✭✭✭brookville

First off fair play to cw they should of won this game jus some of the small basics let them down kk were that little slicker our fowards were terrible in the second half and the replacing of deegan midfield was bizarre when he was very good in the first half.some of the lads up front are not up to it and have being poor in both matches I've seen hopefully bolger will be back but on this performance wexford will hammer them

• Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭mullinr2

No Leinster or All Ireland in this U21 team

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭pmy.murphy

Wasnt able to get up to Dr Cullen for the game tonight, was surprised when I saw the scoreline.

Who played well? Who didnt??

• Registered Users Posts: 534 ✭✭✭Topcat32

mullinr2 wrote: »
    No Leinster or All Ireland in this U21 team

Didnt Carlow beat Dublin who where the strongest under 21 team in Leinster on paper in last years championship and then run Wexford pretty close. Wexford will be favourites but I wouldnt completely rule us out. Agree that I cant see them winning the all ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 47 Kenajonn

Jason Cleere Mark Mansfield played well I dont like saying who did not play well Carlow were very good in the second half. However, the score was much closer due to Carlow scoring a goal with the last puck of the match.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,743 ✭✭✭brookville

Paddy deegan i tought was excellent in the first half the backs weren't to bad the fowards were poor in the second half anyone know what's wrong with alan murphy?

• Registered Users Posts: 10 carlovian

Was at the U21 match, KK carved open the defence for both goals early on. It looked like it was going to be a walk in the park, and gave them a nice cushion at half-time. But CW backs got to grips with forwards in 2nd half and they needed every bit of that cushion. KK forwards fluffed a good few chances, but having said that, CW missed a few chances themselvs in 5 min spell after 1st goal when they were getting well on top in the middle 3rd. And even though 2nd goal was with last puck, everyone was expecting another min or 2 after few long injuries.

• Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭phkk

carlovian wrote: »
    Was at the U21 match, KK carved open the defence for both goals early on. It looked like it was going to be a walk in the park, and gave them a nice cushion at half-time. But CW backs got to grips with forwards in 2nd half and they needed every bit of that cushion. KK forwards fluffed a good few chances, but having said that, CW missed a few chances themselvs in 5 min spell after 1st goal when they were getting well on top in the middle 3rd. And even though 2nd goal was with last puck, everyone was expecting another min or 2 after few long injuries.

How did Peter Shaw hurl? Saw him years ago and thought he was going to be a hurler to watch out for in years to come

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭Kilkennyfella

I agree with Brookville, I thought Paddy Deegan was doing well and was surprised he was taken off. Mark Mansfield was the best player on the pitch in my opinion. Great worker,excellent distribution and can take a score too. Unfortunately I feel that Wexford will beat this Kilkenny team quite comfortably.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,174 ✭✭✭Bahanaman

phkk wrote: »
    How did Peter Shaw hurl? Saw him years ago and thought he was going to be a hurler to watch out for in years to come

Had a great start to the second half with the goal and was a threat from there on. Unfortunately he didn't get enough ball from then. Carlow were nervous and gave Kilkenny far too much respect in the opening 15 min.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 carlovian

phkk wrote: »

Yes, he had a good 2nd half and took his goal very well. CW had 3 or 4 forwards who shone, esp in the 2nd half.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,276 ✭✭✭thinkstoomuch1

Congratulations on the under twenty one win
    This test tonight will have kk prepared for Wexford and take all pressure off ye and Wexford have all the pressure
    Good sign young team won last two close games

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement