Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kilkenny GAA Discussion Thread Mod Warning Post # 5885 #4894 & #5202

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,642 ✭✭✭andyman

It's a shame hurling's so dominant in Kilkenny because there's actually a lot of talented footballers in the county.

Walter Walsh for one. Phenomenal footballer. Would have walked into any minor team in the country back then.

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭unrealtime

football me arse. that is a good young hurling team we have. not sure about Ger Aylward - used to be a scoring machine but his magic may now be gone. Kelly or Farrell would be better bets.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,850 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

andyman wrote: »
    It's a shame hurling's so dominant in Kilkenny

I'll have to stop you there.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,070 ✭✭✭Xenophile

I will have to get a street traders license to sell gaelic footballs every Saturday and Sunday on the Parade in Kilkenny city.

The Forum on Spirituality has been closed for years. Please bring it back, there are lots of Spiritual people in Ireland and elsewhere.

Xenophile wrote: »
    I will have to get a street traders license to sell gaelic footballs every Saturday and Sunday on the Parade in Kilkenny city.
    There's laws against begging

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 848 ✭✭✭Deskjockey

4 changes on minor, out Ryan Bergin, Conor Hennessy, Ross Butler and Robbie Murphy =3 of them in the starting six forwards last day. In Darren Mullen, T O 'Dwyer, Joe Cuddihy, and Niall Walsh, the last 3 forming on entirely new full forward line. Looks like a much more balanced side

Do anyone have the list of minors including their clubs? Thx

• Registered Users Posts: 2,743 ✭✭✭brookville

http://www.kilkennygaa.ie/news/read/id/1524
    teams with clubs are on the gaa website

• Registered Users Posts: 4,070 ✭✭✭Xenophile

There's laws against begging

Not when you have a license, just look at how many beggars will be on the street on the way up to Nolan Park, rattling plastic buckets in front of your nose. Poor ould Wexford supporters being begged to support local Kilkenny hurling and camogie clubs. Now that is one thing that should be banned.

The Forum on Spirituality has been closed for years. Please bring it back, there are lots of Spiritual people in Ireland and elsewhere.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,642 ✭✭✭andyman

Haha! Didn't mean it in the sense of giving up hurling all-Ireland's, of course

• Registered Users Posts: 822 ✭✭✭blackwave

andyman wrote: »
    It's a shame hurling's so dominant in Kilkenny because there's actually a lot of talented footballers in the county.

Walter Walsh for one. Phenomenal footballer. Would have walked into any minor team in the country back then.

Kieran Joyce is also a very good footballer as well, most of the Kilkenny players who went to Good Counsel in New Ross would have been on the Counsel Football teams.

Onto more important matters, on Ger Aylward I think we will see him shine today, very good against Limerick so well deserves his spot imo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭savannahkat

Kilkenny with a strong wind, winning at half time 1-11 v 0-05

• Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭savannahkat

Well done to the minors winning: Kilkenny 2-18 Laois 0-11

• Registered Users Posts: 13,331 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

John Power is starting instead of Colin Fennelly.

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭Hide behind the post

blackwave wrote: »
    Kieran Joyce is also a very good footballer as well, most of the Kilkenny players who went to Good Counsel in New Ross would have been on the Counsel Football teams.

Onto more important matters, on Ger Aylward I think we will see him shine today, very good against Limerick so well deserves his spot imo.

I think 3-05 = Shine!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,894 ✭✭✭windy shepard henderson

the fact that kilkenny could only muster up a score of 5-25 in 70mins of hurling shows the critics were right and that the cats are well and truly finished :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,775 ✭✭✭kksaints

Richie Hogan and Ger Alyward were sublime today, in fact the entire forward line with the possible exception of Walter Walsh were excellent. Onwards to the Leinster Final now.

We were good but we learned nothing. Wexford were shambolic. But Aylward has put himself firmly on the radar, I don't care who we were playing. That aside, I actually thought we started very flat. Then we got the first two goals in a period of brilliance then back to sleep until ten minutes into the second half. Hard to read anything into what happened after that point because wexford had mentally checked out and showed no pride or heart. Holden and Murphy in the full back line, Larkin working like crazy despite clearly lacking pace right now, and Hogan, we're highlights for me. But we're none the wiser about how we'll fair against Galway.

On a side note, please God, no more short puck outs. Disastrous every time and I don't see the benefits. Anyway job done.

Championship has been **** so far and this weekend was all awful. Haven't seen any really good matches yet. The Leinster final looks like it'll be savage on paper, hope it livens things up.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,902 ✭✭✭blackcard

You would have to be reasonably satisfied with that but wouldn't be getting carried away, Wexford were very poor. Most of the team played okay, I thought Michael Fennelly played well in addition to those already mentioned. Agree re short puckouts and short passing. Any news on Colin Fennelly, presume he would replace John Power for Leinster Final if fit

• Registered Users Posts: 39,533 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

Was in Nowlan Park today as an interested neutral. Really was men against boys type stuff, fair play to KK. Some lovely ovations for the men leaving the pitch too especially J Tyrell.

A note (once again) to commend the ground staff - pitch in outstanding condition. The stewards on managing a unreserevd seating packed game v well. Finally to whomever did the program, very good quality stuff - the piece on the 1950 Leinster final between the two sides in Nowlan Park was really well written and informative.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭pmy.murphy

unrealtime wrote: »
    football me arse. that is a good young hurling team we have. not sure about Ger Aylward - used to be a scoring machine but his magic may now be gone. Kelly or Farrell would be better bets.

You were saying?

Ger has always had the magic and the breakthrough has taken longer than expected as he missed most of last year due to injury. Have always expected him to come good as hes a quality hurler on his day. All he needs now is to eradicate the inconsistency he often has in producing big performances like that. Some days he can be sublime and destroy all around him and others he can be totally anonymous. If the rumours that hes been destroying Jackie(one of the best ever in his position) in training are anything to go by along with todays performance then he is a serious option for us this year

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 534 ✭✭✭Topcat32

blackcard wrote: »
    You would have to be reasonably satisfied with that but wouldn't be getting carried away, Wexford were very poor. Most of the team played okay, I thought Michael Fennelly played well in addition to those already mentioned. Agree re short puckouts and short passing. Any news on Colin Fennelly, presume he would replace John Power for Leinster Final if fit
    John got two good points when the match was still somewhat of a contest, I think he wil go close to being a regular this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,704 ✭✭✭citykat

Topcat32 wrote: »
    John got two good points when the match was still somewhat of a contest, I think he wil go close to being a regular this year.

Thought he was poor today - least effective of all the forwards. If he continues like that he definitely won't be a regular this year. 2 pts out of 5-25 from full forward is poor return especially given how poor that full back line was.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,276 ✭✭✭thinkstoomuch1

blackwave wrote: »

Great call on aylward fair play

• Registered Users Posts: 822 ✭✭✭Pudders

Aylward was great yesterday but Richie Hogan has just continued on from last year. As good a display yesterday as any of last year. Back to back hurler of the year if he continues with this form.

Galway match will be interesting. I can see Richie taking Tannion to pieces if Tannion is 6 as he wont have the legs for Richie taking him all over the shop.

Pity yesterday that the full back line weren't properly tested as it will be a different beats to yesterday. Still fear Galway and think we could get a beating from them as we really learned little yesterday.

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭Scaldy Ned

Looking from Waterford yesterday and it became obvious after 20 minutes that KK may not even need to change up to third ......never mind top gear. This is how it panned out sure enough. Yes Wexford were awful and who hasn't been there against KK (bad memories of "that final" flooding back) but you can only play the team against you and KK did their job in a professional and workman like manner. We down here are playing down our chances as this young Waterford team have already exceeded all expectations this year.In fairness I think they will give Tipp a good run for it though and will learn from every big game. Are they ready for KK yet ? That is the big question and if they do manage to pull off a Munster final it would be a huge boost for them and hopefully a great platform to launch from ,....... If not for this year .....next year.
    KK have been the Barcelona of hurling for the last 20 years and have set the high standards needed by any team who now wants to win an AI . the fact that a proud and historic hurling county was put "back in its box" yesterday is testament to this. Well done ,enjoy and I look forward to that day when The Deise takes the crown.
    Scaldy

• Registered Users Posts: 1,815 ✭✭✭Charlie69

@ Pudders
    Agree with all of this , thought Fennelly and Larkin were immense yesterday too, both showed their huge experience and massive leadership qualities.

Also worried about Galway as I expect them to bring a huge level of intensity and aggression, was hoping yesterday would be better preparation for that and thought McDonald would answer a few questions about Holden as a full back.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,893 ✭✭✭allthedoyles

Did'nt see the match and I see Walter the only forward not to score .- How did he play overall ?

Did'nt see the match and I see Walter the only forward not to score .- How did he play overall ?

Had some great catches and made a nuisance of himself out the wing but was probably a little inconsistent. I know with the score we racked up you'd wonder about someone getting no scores, but he wasn't by any means ineffective, thought he played better than Power, for example.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,331 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

TJ, Richie, Larkin, and Ger Alyward were on a completely different level in terms of performance compared to Power and Walter. Given that John Power wasn't due to start the match, I'm more concerned about Walter. He caught a couple of great balls and worked hard, but I didn't think he offered a huge amount.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,704 ✭✭✭citykat

He took up a great position all on his own in front of goal in the second half but Aylward never saw him/didn't pass. Had he gotten the ball he would have goaled. For me this was the one downside of Aylward's performance. Several times including the above he elected to shoot himself rather than lay off to a colleague in a better position. Hopefully if/when he gets more established he'll have the confidence to lay it off more.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement