Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kilkenny GAA Discussion Thread Mod Warning Post # 5885 #4894 & #5202

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 59 ✭✭Annie Oakes

The KK team the next day should be:

Murphy

Murphy Delaney Fogarty

Joyce Tyrell Buckley

M Fennelly L Ryan

E Larkin R Hogan Tj Reid

H Shefflin R Power C Fennelly

Defense :
    Holden has to go simple as. Hes been getting away with not being a great striker/hurler all year for the fact that other lads are helpin him out or lads are saying " ah sure hes a good man marker" . He got exposed big time last sunday and should not be playing, Tipp targeted him it was so obvious. Bringing Fogarty back into the backs adds that bit extra of pace and is capable of being a tight marker and has extra bit of hurling. Joyce should come into the no5 role or maybe even 6. Hogan was again exposed for his lack of pace and doesnt know what to do when lads move all over the place. Jackie did nothing wrong as usual last sunday but hes equally as good cb and I tink for this game hed be better off as our 6 on corbett/ mcgrath, they wouldnt get a sniff of it off him.

Midfield:
    Michael has to play in midfield simple as, its his best position and if we want him playing to his potential he has to play there imo. Hes best attributes are running onto breaking ball and using his athleticism to pick off scores etc. I think Lester is worth his place on the team too, a phenomenal athlete just like woodlock and would mark him and dominate him no bother as he is a better hurler too.

Forwards:
    Only for moving Hogan last weekdn we were bollixed. Id let the forwards have a license to roam at will. Alternating Reid, Larkin and Shefflin for targets for the puck outs. Walter was non existent not upto the pace. There is surely one last big game in henry, put him in near the goal and let himself and colin win us the game. Colin needs to go on Barret and bring him for the run around.

I realise there is a lot of changes from last week but theyve 3 weeks to get it right now. Theres obvious changes needed to be made and hopefully cody sees them

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,116 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

I would not agree in any way with that team selection. You say the last 10 mins in the drawn game with Galway I presume. I would have thought that would put to bed any thoughts of Jackie at number 6. Joyce in my opinion does not have the pace for wing back, not in this game anyway.

The only change I would make there would be possibly Padraig Walsh to start but I'd prefer to see him further forward.

I also don't get the logic of tearing up mid field, Hogan and Fogarty have been working really well the last few games, I'd be inclined to leave them at it to start anyway.

I wouldn't start Henry, for me he has done nothing the last 2 years to warrant selection on anything other than sentimental grounds.

Walter Walsh won't start the next day but I think there will be at most 2 changes, more likely just 1 barring any injuries.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,656 ✭✭✭dirkmeister

Joyce and Jackie in the half back line?

I can't agree with that,serious lack of pace. Jackies only hope these days is when he's facing the ball.

Padraig Walsh will probably come in for Joey Holden.

Wally will definitely get the chop,after that it's anyone's guess.

adrian522 wrote: »
    I would not agree in any way with that team selection. You say the last 10 mins in the drawn game with Galway I presume. I would have thought that would put to bed any thoughts of Jackie at number 6. Joyce in my opinion does not have the pace for wing back, not in this game anyway.

The only change I would make there would be possibly Padraig Walsh to start but I'd prefer to see him further forward.

I also don't get the logic of tearing up mid field, Hogan and Fogarty have been working really well the last few games, I'd be inclined to leave them at it to start anyway.

I wouldn't start Henry, for me he has done nothing the last 2 years to warrant selection on anything other than sentimental grounds.

Walter Walsh won't start the next day but I think there will be at most 2 changes, more likely just 1 barring any injuries.

Could Lester Ryan be an option at centre back?? I know hes not a huge dominating presence but tipp dont have many physcial forwards apart from bonnar, he has savage legs and wud cover in all over the place. Hogan has to go imo

Joyce and Jackie in the half back line?

I can't agree with that,serious lack of pace. Jackies only hope these days is when he's facing the ball.

Padraig Walsh will probably come in for Joey Holden.

Wally will definitely get the chop,after that it's anyone's guess.

Ya in hindsight maybe not an ideal half back line my apologies. Tommy walsh should come in at 5 or 6 maybe wit Lester ryan

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,770 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Could Lester Ryan be an option at centre back?? I know hes not a huge dominating presence but tipp dont have many physcial forwards apart from bonnar, he has savage legs and wud cover in all over the place. Hogan has to go imo

Aren't you from Waterford?

What's this Kilkenny We business?

• Registered Users Posts: 557 ✭✭✭IrishAlice

I think Lester is more naturally a forward.

I'd be inclined to leave Brian Hogan on as I don't think we have too many options to replace him. He's definitely a concern but as earlier posters said he was rumored to be suffering with back spasms earlier in the week so perhaps that was part of the reason.

Id agree Wally definitely has to go. It's nothing personal against the chap but I just don't think he's up to the level that was out there Sunday.

keane2097 wrote: »
    Aren't you from Waterford?

What's this Kilkenny We business?

This is hurling talk . Something you wouldnt know anything about, so if your finished with your smart comments please leave the people who know what theyre talking about get on with it. bye

• Registered Users, Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 15,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭rebel girl 15

There has been previous warnings on thread about the style of posting on here at the moment, there is strict enforcement of the charter and bans will be handed out

Seriously, it's not even an hour since this thread was cleaned up.

Can we not just get on with hurling talk!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭clashoftheash

Here is my team.
    Murphy
    Murphy jj Jackie
    Padraig Hogan cillian
    Fennelly tommy
    Tj hogan Larkin
    Colin richie p Kelly
    I know eyebrows will be raised with Kelly. But he is not a full forward, but could do a job at corner. All three of these full forward line has serious pace and will really test the strength of that full back line .don't forget that we got 3 goals against them .
    Tommy could do a job in midfield. At wing back he would be restricted to man marking a guy, which he is not up to anymore, but in midfield it would free him up and allow to drop deep and help the half back line. Just a suggestion.
    Regarding the referee, while he was truly awful at spotting blatant fouls, it is pointless dissecting all the decisions we didn't get let's just focus and supporting the boys again for the 27th.

Here is my team.
    Murphy
    Murphy jj Jackie
    Padraig Hogan cillian
    Fennelly tommy
    Tj hogan Larkin
    Colin richie p Kelly
    I know eyebrows will be raised with Kelly. But he is not a full forward, but could do a job at corner. All three of these full forward line has serious pace and will really test the strength of that full back line .don't forget that we got 3 goals against them .
    Tommy could do a job in midfield. At wing back he would be restricted to man marking a guy, which he is not up to anymore, but in midfield it would free him up and allow to drop deep and help the half back line. Just a suggestion.
    Regarding the referee, while he was truly awful at spotting blatant fouls, it is pointless dissecting all the decisions we didn't get let's just focus and supporting the boys again for the 27th.

Tommy Midfield (too slow now) and Kelly corner forward (not good enoug). Crazy calls imo

• Registered Users Posts: 13,331 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

The KK team the next day should be:

Murphy

Murphy Delaney Fogarty

Joyce Tyrell Buckley

M Fennelly L Ryan

E Larkin R Hogan Tj Reid

H Shefflin R Power C Fennelly

Defense :
    Holden has to go simple as. Hes been getting away with not being a great striker/hurler all year for the fact that other lads are helpin him out or lads are saying " ah sure hes a good man marker" . He got exposed big time last sunday and should not be playing, Tipp targeted him it was so obvious. Bringing Fogarty back into the backs adds that bit extra of pace and is capable of being a tight marker and has extra bit of hurling. Joyce should come into the no5 role or maybe even 6. Hogan was again exposed for his lack of pace and doesnt know what to do when lads move all over the place. Jackie did nothing wrong as usual last sunday but hes equally as good cb and I tink for this game hed be better off as our 6 on corbett/ mcgrath, they wouldnt get a sniff of it off him.

Jackie at 6 and Joyce at 5??
    The two lads would get absolutely annihilated for pace.
    This is what springs to mind :eek:

Knock-Nevis.gif

Jackie at 6 and Joyce at 5??
    The two lads would get absolutely annihilated for pace.
    This is what springs to mind :eek:

Knock-Nevis.gif

Thats the way I would start them, obviously with movement etc they wouldnt be rigid. No back line ever is anymore. Jackie could be put to no4 with fogarty going wing back and joyce into the centre where he excelled with the rower last year

• Registered Users Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

This is the team I'd like to see

Murphy

Murphy JJ Jackie

P Walsh B Hogan Buckley

R Hogan C Fogarty

C Fennelly M Fennelly Larkin

Richie Henry TJ

After Sunday I've come around to the idea of starting Henry. He still takes watching and is good at creating chances. Lot's of people are saying he doesn't have the pace so full forward might be a good option.

If he can't play a full game what of it, him going off early can't be any more of a blow than bringing him on late was a boost to Tipp on Sunday.

Don't have any real issues with Holden but just think Padraig Walsh brings something extra.

If we're being roasted in midfield Richie and Mick Fennelly could always be swapped again but as previous posters have said Richie and Conor have been working well as a midfield pairing so I'd like to leave them together if possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,331 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

I'll throw up my preferred team since I gave out about Annie Oaks' team.

E Murphy

P Murphy, JJ, Jackie

P Walsh, B Hogan, Buckley

C Fogarty, M Fennelly

TJ Reid, R Hogan, E Larkin

Taggy, R Power, C Fennelly

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭clashoftheash

Tommy Midfield (too slow now) and Kelly corner forward (not good enoug). Crazy calls imo

How so? Tommy is not there for his pace. I said he is there to act as a sweeper. Part of the reason Tipp ran us ragged on Sunday was because there was just too much space being created. An extra body being would do on harm.
    I know Kelly was a surprise inclusion, but the chap has pace. The conditions (hopefully) will be ideal for his style as I said it would test the defence to the limit.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,725 ✭✭✭Grats

I'll throw up my preferred team since I gave out about Annie Oaks' team.

E Murphy

P Murphy, JJ, Jackie

P Walsh, B Hogan, Buckley

C Fogarty, M Fennelly

TJ Reid, R Hogan, E Larkin

Taggy, R Power, C Fennelly

Taggy and P Walsh had very little, if any, impact when they came on last Sunday. That's not to say I wouldn't consider them for the replay but I wonder why they never got going on Sunday. I would be inclined to leave the backs as they were, play P Walsh at midfield with Fogarty and start play R Hogan in the forwards. Henry has to be considered if fully fit. If he is 100% I would go with this team -

E Murphy

P Murphy, JJ, Jackie

Holden, Hogan, Buckley

Fogarty P Walsh

M Fen, R Hogan, TJ

C Fen, R Power, Henry

• Registered Users Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

Can anybody tell me if there is any busses travelling up to Coke Park for the camogie this Sunday
    Cheers
    Odyssey

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 431 ✭✭Miall108

Right firstly without the contributions of a few players we would have been given a right hiding on Sunday and if we are going to have any chance of winning the next day we have got to play our best 15 simple as that, yes certain lads have come in and done there job well like Joey Holden and these guys but the fact in the matter is that sometimes just doing the job effectively isnt enough and we need players who can offer more than that. Likewise with others playing in certain positions. Richie Hogan is great in Midfield but the fact in the matter is hes a forward and we have other great midfielders being wasted. Another thing is we got our match ups completely wrong. This is my team for the next day.

E Murphy
    P Murphy JJ Jackie
    P Walsh B Hogan C Buckley

M Fennelly L Ryan

Henry Shefflin TJ Reid R Power
    C Fennelly R Hogan E Larkin

Jackie firstly on Lar Corbett, Cillian Buckley/ Paul Murphy on John O Dwyer Padraig Walsh on Gearoid Ryan and Buckley/Murphy on Noel McGrath.

And in the forwards we need someone equally as fast on Cathal Barrett, Colin Fennelly is the man for that job and jesus Padraig Maher really needs to be stopped on not get so much ball again and needs someone who has the pace and can match him in the air. Richie Hogan should be given that particular job and Henry is Henry, people will say his legs are gone and all this but I dont believe that for one minute, he was never the fastest and has proved what he can do at various stages this year, he will bring intelligence and playmaking skills to the fore. So what if it doesnt work out then take him off rather than 5 minutes at the end which isnt enough time. He cant do any worse than Walter Walsh did the last day. He has proved it in club games this year and has been going for the full 60 mins easily along with 4,5,6 points from play in each game so Henry most certainly can have a say. I refuse to believe that crap that he wont last

• Registered Users Posts: 2,725 ✭✭✭Grats

Miall108 wrote: »
    Right firstly without the contributions of a few players we would have been given a right hiding on Sunday and if we are going to have any chance of winning the next day we have got to play our best 15 simple as that, yes certain lads have come in and done there job well like Joey Holden and these guys but the fact in the matter is that sometimes just doing the job effectively isnt enough and we need players who can offer more than that. Likewise with others playing in certain positions. Richie Hogan is great in Midfield but the fact in the matter is hes a forward and we have other great midfielders being wasted. Another thing is we got our match ups completely wrong. This is my team for the next day.

E Murphy
    P Murphy JJ Jackie
    P Walsh B Hogan C Buckley

M Fennelly L Ryan

Henry Shefflin TJ Reid R Power
    C Fennelly R Hogan E Larkin

Jackie firstly on Lar Corbett, Cillian Buckley/ Paul Murphy on John O Dwyer Padraig Walsh on Gearoid Ryan and Buckley/Murphy on Noel McGrath.

And in the forwards we need someone equally as fast on Cathal Barrett, Colin Fennelly is the man for that job and jesus Padraig Maher really needs to be stopped on not get so much ball again and needs someone who has the pace and can match him in the air. Richie Hogan should be given that particular job and Henry is Henry, people will say his legs are gone and all this but I dont believe that for one minute, he was never the fastest and has proved what he can do at various stages this year, he will bring intelligence and playmaking skills to the fore. So what if it doesnt work out then take him off rather than 5 minutes at the end which isnt enough time. He cant do any worse than Walter Walsh did the last day. He has proved it in club games this year and has been going for the full 60 mins easily along with 4,5,6 points from play in each game so Henry most certainly can have a say. I refuse to believe that crap that he wont last

Excellent post and I particularly want to focus on Henry. Cody himself said that Henry has seventy minutes in him so why is he being held back? I've said it all along that I wouldn't expect that Henry would have to be taken off but if so, so what? Whatever game plan has been tried with regards to Kelly and Wally didn't work. It's time to throw out that plan and start afresh. Your team above is a good starting point.

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭Southern Belle

dcrosskid wrote: »
    Did Kilkenny have their banquet Sunday night? I believe Tipp went ahead with theirs and the players and management left then before 12. Reasonable for the supporters and players I thought.

Will Cody make many changes the next day? I reckon Walter Walsh will lose out with possibly Fogarty coming in.

Meal went ahead. Senior team left for KK by 11. Celebrations continued for minors.

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭ttowncat

So what if it's Tipp that are the one's that make the changes, what if they hammer the hammer? It was rumoured all week that Mick Cahill might be midfield to track Richie Hogan and it ended up coming to pass in the end. The effect was almost instant(but mainly down to Hogan's cramp) But they definitely won't let richie away with MOTM again.

What if they detail Brendan Maher to TJ Reid to stop him catching?

And will Lar try take Jackie on numerous dashing runs to see if he tires again?

High ball on Callanan won't work so they'll prob try more low ball angled runs for him to get away from JJ.

Tipp's bench proved its worth and I can see plenty of their attack leaving nothing in the tank(their poor marker too) and then springing plenty of fresh legs on KK backs that probably won't be changed.

In saying all this, Jackie, B Hogan and both Fennelly's can't be as bad the next day added with the hope that Padraig Walsh will be in as well as Wally probably on the bench.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,794 ✭✭✭kksaints

The Minors had their homecoming in Inistioge this evening with a decent crowd showing up to greet them.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 kkcat34

Team for replay
    Murphy
    Murphy jj t walsh
    P walsh buckley fogarty
    M fennelly l ryan
    R hogan shefflin tj
    C fennelly power larkin
    Forwards license to change positions pace back in backs

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭Fergus_Nash

There isn't going to be a huge overhaul of the team, P. Walsh coming in for Holden and Fogarty or Shefflin coming in for W. Walsh. Buckley isn't going to be started in centre back for the first time in an All-Ireland final, nor are players who haven't played all season going to come into the Kilkenny backline or midfield.

I'd put Fogarty lying deeper as a midfielder to help out Hogan, and switch M. Fennelly with Richie Hogan. Let Hogan play between midfield and centre forward, and have the centre back decide whether to follow him or mind his full back. Power should start full forward, he was much more dangerous there against Limerick than in the corner against Tipperary.

Paul Murphy seemed to come out evenly, if not on top against, Maher, but should he follow him around the forward line. Kilkenny got their match ups right during their period of dominance in the second half, but surely the Tipperary forwards will move around again.

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭Fergus_Nash

There isn't going to be a huge overhaul of the team, P. Walsh coming in for Holden and Fogarty or Shefflin coming in for W. Walsh. Buckley isn't going to be started in centre back for the first time in an All-Ireland final, nor are players who haven't played all season going to come into the Kilkenny backline or midfield.

I'd put Fogarty lying deeper as a midfielder to help out Hogan, and switch M. Fennelly with Richie Hogan. Let Hogan play between midfield and centre forward, and have the centre back decide whether to follow him or mind his full back. Power should start full forward, he was much more dangerous there against Limerick than in the corner against Tipperary.

Paul Murphy seemed to come out evenly, if not on top against, Maher, but should he follow him around the forward line. Kilkenny got their match ups right during their period of dominance in the second half, but surely the Tipperary forwards will move around again.

• Registered Users Posts: 47 catseye2

Best sight all week was seeing Richie hogan walking in to teach his second class boys in clontarf on Monday. So how was your weekend, teacher . Such a legend

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 695 ✭✭✭zombieHanalei

Congrats on the minor title, but can someone explain in a nutshell how in the name of 'bejaysus that team registered just 0-3 against Dublin in their first game? What the hell happened there?!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement