Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kilkenny GAA Discussion Thread Mod Warning Post # 5885 #4894 & #5202

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,719 ✭✭✭Grats

The Tipperary forwards have shown their bottle, for them to stay calm and hit three points in the last five minutes rather than go for goal is phenomenal.

The Bonner (terrorised Brian Hogan, came out 50/50 with Murphy), Lar (two wonderful points, almost the goal of the season) and McGrath (four points from play) have shown they are super forwards. Bubbles and Callanan are All-Stars. Both teams played brilliantly, and both are equal. Now stop talking rubbish.

"Almost the goal of the season" and almost a wide! The Reid or Power goals were great ones actually scored. Now you stop talking rubbish!

EIRE1922 wrote: »
    According to Marty Morroissey on the radio this evening it was said that Barry Kelly was seen giving the thumbs up to Tipperary supporters at the end of the match yesterday not realising that their were several Kilkenny fans in between them. That there is to be an inverstigation into his conduct and the number of balant decisions that he gave against Killkenny.

Not sure how true this is, Just saw it online.

Wasn't going to refer to it but now that it has been posted - a friend was in 305 Cusack Stand and says as Kelly left the pitch he responded to the Tipp supporters clapping him off by applauding back.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,001 ✭✭✭Hitchens

Grats wrote: »
    Wasn't going to refer to it but now that it has been posted - a friend was in 305 Cusack Stand and says as Kelly left the pitch he responded to the Tipp supporters clapping him off by applauding back.
    did this really occur, ffs? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,165 ✭✭✭realdanbreen

Hitchens wrote: »
    Brian Gavin and James McGrath are the frontrunners to referee the All-Ireland hurling final replay on September 27.

I hope its McGrath,all his people would be from up around Loughmore.

I hope its McGrath,all his people would be from up around Loughmore.
    give me Johnny Ryan as ref anytime ;)

• Advertisement

did this really occur, ffs? :confused:

The friend witnessed it but couldn't get his camera out in time to capture it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,540 ✭✭✭Speak Now

Ah lads stop it now, kelly didnt knock 28th pts over our crossbar. We have a different ref the next day but it wont matter one iota if Tipp play as well again and we dont up our game.
    Power, Reid and Hogan dragged us to a replay. Fair dues to Tipp, even at 3pts down they didnt panic at the end and go headless for goals.
    Cant wait for the next day, shame its so far away. Spare a thought for all those club players kicking their heels until October in both counties.

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭Justice for the individual

It just shows what happens when a county's supporters spend 3 weeks abusing and insulting a referee. The amusing thing is that ye then seem to be amazed that the intimidation tactics backfired on ye.

No wonder Kilkenny supporters are annoyed with Kelly - have you not taken note of his previous "performances" involving Kilkenny. He has a history of obvious biased decisions where Kilkenny are concerned, and the powers-that-be see no wrong and keep appointing him for crucial matches.

Kilkenny supporters, as you may fail to understand, are obviously going to support and stand up for their own team, and if a referee is not willing to see his own failings, then he deserves a barracking and instead of taking comments as intimidation tactics, should look at his own performance with a view to improvements and at least make an effort at treating BOTH teams fairly. What is wrong with that?

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭Fergus_Nash

If that was a below par performance from the Bonner then I'd fear for the Kilkenny backs if he plays to par, never mind above it. He had three goal chances, one he scored, one Murphy saved and one was given as a penalty. He almost had Callanan set up on a tee. Both sets of forwards had goal chances, on another day Bonner could have scored three. I know he didn't, but it must worry ye.

Lar left Jackie for dead, that must worry ye. Fantastic goalkeeping from Murphy also stopped Callanan's goal, Lar would have created it. Yes, the two Kilkenny goals were fantastic.

According to you Kilkenny people, the Tipperary forwards lack the stuff needed to fight, they were cowards, and bad hurlers. That's what you tell us on this thread, the minute Corbett is mentioned so too is 2012, and not 2010. The Tipperary forwards showed they had the mental ability to fight for a draw, and almost win. With five minutes to go, they could have gone for goal, like Dublin did last week. But they didn't, they fired over spectacular points.

So perhaps before the 27th, none of you might say the media has hyped up the Tipperary forwards because they are serious forwards. Perhaps before the 27th, none of you might say the Tipperary forwards run scared in the last 15 minutes. Because when you say that, it shows a serious lack of knowledge given what happened yesterday.

Perhaps!

• Advertisement

Ah lads stop it now, kelly didnt knock 28th pts over our crossbar. We have a different ref the next day but it wont matter one iota if Tipp play as well again and we dont up our game.
    Power, Reid and Hogan dragged us to a replay. Fair dues to Tipp, even at 3pts down they didnt panic at the end and go headless for goals.
    Cant wait for the next day, shame its so far away. Spare a thought for all those club players kicking their heels until October in both counties.

Well said. I just watched the match again On Tv,brialliant hurling from both sides, I was on the hill yesterday and couldn't see all the action clearly.hopefully the weather will be OK come the 27th.

Well said. I just watched the match again On Tv,brialliant hurling from both sides, I was on the hill yesterday and couldn't see all the action clearly.hopefully the weather will be OK come the 27th.

heavy rain forecast Dan..................no, seriously :)

• Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭EIRE1922

heavy rain forecast Dan..................no, seriously :)

Snow! :D

Lar left Jackie for dead, that must worry ye. Fantastic goalkeeping from Murphy also stopped Callanan's goal, Lar would have created it. Yes, the two Kilkenny goals were fantastic...two? Is was three! What game were you watching?

...That's what you tell us on this thread, the minute Corbett is mentioned so too is 2012, and not 2010...Fergus and what about Lar prior to 2010? 2001-2010? He never hit the head lines back then much either, now did he? :p

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭Justice for the individual

The Tipperary forwards have shown their bottle, for them to stay calm and hit three points in the last five minutes rather than go for goal is phenomenal.

The Bonner (terrorised Brian Hogan, came out 50/50 with Murphy), Lar (two wonderful points, almost the goal of the season) and McGrath (four points from play) have shown they are super forwards. Bubbles and Callanan are All-Stars. Both teams played brilliantly, and both are equal. Now stop talking rubbish.

What did you think of the referee's performance - good?
    He was badly let down by that last free going narrowly wide.

The amazing thing is that Tipperary, I think, hit only two wides. If they were shooting blindfolded they would still have scored. I was commenting on this during the game, and was saying that on the law of averages, one or two crucial balls would go wide. I was confident that the last free would go wide, because of the distance and the pressure to come up with the winning score. Luckily, it went inches wide and justice was done.

Despite all the odds stacked against them, a gallant Kilkenny team held on to ensure another day of expectation of a thrilling game.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,057 ✭✭✭BQQ

I don't think the criticism of Barry Kelly is anything out of the ordinary.
    He made a number of incorrect decisions and it's natural that the fans of the team on the wrong end of them are going to moan about it.

Sure, in 2009 a 21 yard free was given as a penalty and some fans are still complaining that it alone resulted in a 5 point defeat.
    (there were 2 such decisions yesterday btw)

The Sunday Game had to mention it or they'd be ignoring the elephant in the room.
    I doubt Eddie wanted to be the man to say it, but that's rte's style. If you have to say anything negative about the ref let someone from the aggrieved county do it so it can be passed off as sour grapes.
    They did the same with Kevin McStay a couple of weeks ago.

Anyway, to the replay.
    Obviously, we need to look at tightening up at the back.
    It strikes me that last year, when we weren't at our best, our backs were still outstanding and kept us in a number of games.
    We conceded very little to this same Tipp team in Nowlan Park.
    So what's changed? - Tommy and Kieran Joyce.

Joyce beside Hogan could be just too slow, but I think there's a real case to be made for Tommy.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,391 ✭✭✭MfMan

Philip82 wrote: »
    Just back from Dublin,what a weekend!!! Most of the topics are been covered here already but I have to raise two things that the GAA should be shameful of yesterday. I have never seen a team captain presented with a winning cup in any kind of match and not allowed make a speech and thank his team,managers, opposition and the like.Id love to hear why???
    Leaving the Hogan Stand after the match was unbeleivable. Put barriers up around the exit and guards were physically pushing people young and old down the road in a direction they didnt want to go. It was chaotic and could have turned very sour. 80 euro to be treated like that wont wash well!
    Anyway congrats to the minors on a great win and the seniors for giving us another spectacle!!!

Think they've done away with Minor's speeches for a couple of years now - may be wrong. Also, with such a large crowd exiting the stadium altogether, it probably makes sense to divide them up somewhat and funnel them in different directions - saves having thousands milling about and bumping into each other and disperses the crowd quicker from the immediate environs of CP.

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭ttowncat

BQQ-
    "The Sunday Game had to mention it or they'd be ignoring the elephant in the room.
    I doubt Eddie wanted to be the man to say it, but that's rte's style. If you have to say anything negative about the ref let someone from the aggrieved county do it so it can be passed off as sour grapes.
    They did the same with Kevin McStay a couple of weeks ago

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭ttowncat

BQQ-
    "The Sunday Game had to mention it or they'd be ignoring the elephant in the room.
    They did the same with Kevin McStay a couple of weeks ago"

Donal Og just loved sitting in the middle smiling at eddie, then he 'breaks ranks' with the MOTM selection and tells the nation how he decided who got MOTM, very powerful man.

• Advertisement

ttowncat wrote: »
    BQQ-
    They did the same with Kevin McStay a couple of weeks ago

Spot on and well said! The elephant...being Barry Kelly!

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭ellinguistico

The Barry Kelly stuff is embarrassing lads. Don't let it be fuel for other people and more importantly don't let yourselves down. Also, it's very hard to fully give credence to a poster saying that much about Kelly who's first language isn't English. I welcome you to our country but how many games have you seen since living here?

As per the team, no point in going over what has been said. I'm not sure Michael Fennelly "is there" anymore in all senses. Tried hard at times but completely immobile. I've watched the game live and recorded twice and I don't understand how people say he came into it that much. Superman in his very brief stint a few years back but not sure if he's up for this pace. Joey Holden was probably the most anonymous man on the pitch and was beaten in most tussles, but he has loads of time.........but not if we genuinely want to win the 2014 All Ireland Hurling title.

Is Colin Fennelly a forward? He's lauded for his work rate and got some incredible scores in the league there and carried the team but his touch and decision making in the latter 3rd of the field is poor. Don't know where I stand on Shefflin coming in but he can make the right the right decisions and make flicks that nobody is expecting to bring other people in. The movement from our forwards compared to Tipp's was 30% slower in speed of limb and thought (bar TJ, Richie Power and Richie Hogan when he went in there).

Brian Hogan, magnificent servant but if he starts the next day that then that confirms that we are accepting defeat. Tried his arse off but waaay to slow for that Tipperary team. Who do you put in there instead? Too much of an ask for Kieran Joyce? Probably. That spot has come back to ask questions again even though I thought Hogan did relatively OK up till now.......but the loosely pasted wallpaper of the semi and final (1) is coming off. Massive decision to make there. But.....it is 6 and it's crucial.

Jackie might just squeeze another 60/70 mins I'd say but it's a huge gamble. This needs to be the biggest patch job in recent years. JJ looks like he has another year in him but probably won't. The epic nature of this game and everything that has gone with it (even before the replay) I think will fast forward a lot of lads exits. JJ, Jackie, B Hogan, Tommy, Henry, Larkin won't be around next year.

We are creaking, we knew that. How all the above have got us to here is beyond most sane peoples wildest dreams after the seemingly natural end in Thurles last year. We owe them more than the National debt. How will we win on the 27th? Am I being too harsh on some of them?

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭merryberry

To many complaints about referee decisions which is nonsense really. There were a few questionable decisions like the 2nd penalty but Kilkenny have little to complain about overall.

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭Fergus_Nash

...That's what you tell us on this thread, the minute Corbett is mentioned so too is 2012, and not 2010...Fergus and what about Lar prior to 2010? 2001-2010? He never hit the head lines back then much either, now did he? :p

Well during those years he had a number of injuries and it corresponded with a period of Tipperary's bad years. Not many players can sustain great form over their whole career, that's what makes them great. But how about ye acknowledge he scored three goals in an All-Ireland?
    Lar left Jackie for dead, that must worry ye. Fantastic goalkeeping from Murphy also stopped Callanan's goal, Lar would have created it. Yes, the two Kilkenny goals were fantastic...two? Is was three! What game were you watching?

I was responding to somebody mentioning Reid's goal and Power's second, I'm aware Power scored a first.
    What did you think of the referee's performance - good?
    He was badly let down by that last free going narrowly wide.

The amazing thing is that Tipperary, I think, hit only two wides. If they were shooting blindfolded they would still have scored. I was commenting on this during the game, and was saying that on the law of averages, one or two crucial balls would go wide. I was confident that the last free would go wide, because of the distance and the pressure to come up with the winning score. Luckily, it went inches wide and justice was done.

Despite all the odds stacked against them, a gallant Kilkenny team held on to ensure another day of expectation of a thrilling game.

Nope, Kelly was bad, more decisions went against Kilkenny than against Tipperary.

I don't think all the odds were against Kilkenny, it was very hard to call the result before the match. Kilkenny have perhaps a little extra to offer than Tipperary on the 27th, but not much. I hope they win.

But don't tell me the Tipperary hurlers aren't serious hurlers.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭Duiske

According to you Kilkenny people, the Tipperary forwards lack the stuff needed to fight, they were cowards, and bad hurlers. That's what you tell us on this thread.

Are you sure you did'nt just see a couple of posters mention that kind of stuff, and then your mind got all confussed and you came to the conclusion that all Kilkenny people think the same way ? And, not accusing you of lying or exaggeration, but I've searched for the word "cowards" in this thread and it doesn't appear even once.

merryberry wrote: »
    To many complaints about referee decisions which is nonsense really. There were a few questionable decisions like the 2nd penalty but Kilkenny have little to complain about overall.

Are you having a laugh?

6-8 decisions you mean against Kilkenny? Take your blinkers off! :confused:

The two penalties were never penos! Tipperary would have actually been better of if there were two 21 yards frees and scored from them.

No, not Tipperary's fault either they were awarded them, but they took the penos that never were and missed them. Justice in my view that they got no score from both!

Grats wrote: »

He gave me a wave as well,and winked.

Duiske wrote: »
    Are you sure you did'nt just see a couple of posters mention that kind of stuff, and then your mind got all confussed and you came to the conclusion that all Kilkenny people think the same way ? And, not accusing you of lying or exaggeration, but I've searched for the word "cowards" in this thread and it doesn't appear even once.

Hear...hear! Well said!

Are you having a laugh?

6-8 decisions you mean against Kilkenny? Take your blinkers off! :confused:

The two penalties were never penos! Tipperary would have actually been better of if there were two 21 yards frees and scored from them.

No, not Tipperary's fault either they were awarded them, but they took the penos that never were and missed them. Justice in my view that they got no score from both!

Absolutely spot on. We accept that our overall performance was below par yesterday. We accept that Tipp played some brilliant hurling. But we're also entitled to refer to the refs performance. Particularly so since we anticipated what Kelly was going to do. Some posters would have preferred that we said nothing about Kelly beforehand and now they want us to ignore his deplorable conduct yesterday.

He gave a free to Richie Power yesterday when Stapleton pulled his face guard yet he never booked the culprit - a definite red card incident.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭merryberry

Go rewatch the full match again, on tv and come back to me! Make sure you take of your blinkers first. :P

So I take it you have no concerns with the standard of refereeing then...

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement