Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kilkenny GAA Discussion Thread Mod Warning Post # 5885 #4894 & #5202

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,331 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

FFS Aoife Neary was rugby tackled by about 3 Cork players there and the ref didn't give a free.

FFS Aoife Neary was rugby tackled by about 3 Cork players there and the ref didn't give a free.

Terrible ref, not sure why its not a penalty but I'm sure the odds of scoring it would be high.

Stupid of me to bet on this but that was irritiating to see that not given as it prob would have swung the tie.

He gave an awful one in the first half as well when the KK caught a ball... Mind boggling at times.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,072 ✭✭✭Dan Chipowski

As clear a penalty as you could see.

Ref was an absolute disgrace.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭dirkmeister

That decision takes beating.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭dirtyden

Terrible ref, not sure why its not a penalty but I'm sure the odds of scoring it would be high.

Stupid of me to bet on this but that was irritiating to see that not given as it prob would have swung the tie.

He gave an awful one in the first half as well when the KK caught a ball... Mind boggling at times.

I have a dejavu like feeling here. It's like I have heard this somewhere recently before.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,845 ✭✭✭Hidalgo

Here in Clare we have some bad refs but that fella reffing the camogie today was shocking bad.
    About 10 mins remaining he gave Kk a free in for overcarried which should have been a free out for a pullback on the Cork girls hand.

The ref then proceeds to let go as clear a penalty as you'll see when the kk player was rugby tackled to the ground. To add to it the umpire had a clear view of it.

Even after that kk could have had a 2nd pen, ref plays on, eventually gives a throw in and then a soft free out.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,165 ✭✭✭realdanbreen

Excellent piece about Barry Kellys handling of last sundays all Ireland in todays sindo. It gives the facts and the figures from the match and exposes the garbage that was written and said before and after the game.

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭eire 2012

Excellent piece about Barry Kellys handling of last sundays all Ireland in todays sindo. It gives the facts and the figures from the match and exposes the garbage that was written and said before and after the game.

Hardly a credible report seen as it was written by a Tipp man.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭piuswal

Sunday Indo piece

A reasonable assessment of the Refs calls but I would think that when you consider;

1. the failure to give a free to Eoin Larkin early on and Tipp getting a point from the play on
    2. the failure to consult with other officials when awarding a free to Richie Power (the helmet incident) and
    3. the last minute decision which could have cost KK the match

it is not unreasonable that KK fans would be annoyed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭dirtyden

piuswal wrote: »
    Sunday Indo piece

A reasonable assessment of the Refs calls but I would think that when you consider;

1. the failure to give a free to Eoin Larkin early on and Tipp getting a point from the play on
    2. the failure to consult with other officials when awarding a free to Richie Power (the helmet incident) and
    3. the last minute decision which could have cost KK the match

it is not unreasonable that KK fans would be annoyed.

Why not mention TJ Reid's goal that was clearly a free out? I guess that does not add to the conspiracy theory.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭Fort Stranger

He also says the sliding tackle on Larkin by the keeper was ok as he got his foot to the ball, well he didn't, it came off lark's hurl and anyway when was a soccer style sliding tackle legal in hurling?

dirtyden wrote: »
    Why not mention TJ Reid's goal that was clearly a free out? I guess that does not add to the conspiracy theory.

Fair point but I would suggest that close examination, as is now possible with so many camera angles, of many such "melees",for the want of a better word, would show lots of contacts that could be called as fouls!

He also says the sliding tackle on Larkin by the keeper was ok as he got his foot to the ball, well he didn't, it came off lark's hurl and anyway when was a soccer style sliding tackle legal in hurling?

I must look at that again but did Gleeson make contact with Larkin first? If not, surely the point is that he was playing the ball and his follow through got the man. Does that make it a foul. Must dig out the rules again.

eire 2012 wrote: »
    Hardly a credible report seen as it was written by a Tipp man.
    Facts are facts. I would cay its a bit more credible than what Eddie O'Connor was writing and Eddie Brennan was saying. At least Damien Lawlor is a full time journalist and not doing it as a nice little earner on the side.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,707 ✭✭✭Grats

Don't read the Sunday Independent. Obviously the writer of the article is just one of the thousands of Tipp supporters who were very happy with the ref on the day. So much so that we witnessed the most unprecedented scene ever in Gaelic games, or indeed any other sport, when the ref was applauded off the pitch at the end of the game by one set of supporters! It was also reported that the ref acknowledged the applause, yet another unprecedented incident.

It is unanimously accepted that the last free awarded to Tipp was an incorrect call. The Kilkenny players showed great restraint in not protesting. Had they done so Kilkenny would have lost. The same ref made a similar call in the drawn match in 2012 when he awarded a free to Galway to draw the match. Again a controversial decision.

It appears to have gone unnoticed in most quarters that the GAA are clearly not in agreement with the Tipp viewpoint. In 2012 the ref for the drawn match was a sideline official for the replay. Last year there was a similar pattern. But the ref for this years drawn match has been omitted for the replay. The Kilkenny management team never criticised the ref, the GAA didn't need their prompting!

Grats wrote: »
    Don't read the Sunday Independent. Obviously the writer of the article is just one of the thousands of Tipp supporters who were very happy with the ref on the day. So much so that we witnessed the most unprecedented scene ever in Gaelic games, or indeed any other sport, when the ref was applauded off the pitch at the end of the game by one set of supporters! It was also reported that the ref acknowledged the applause, yet another unprecedented incident.

It is unanimously accepted that the last free awarded to Tipp was an incorrect call. The Kilkenny players showed great restraint in not protesting. Had they done so Kilkenny would have lost. The same ref made a similar call in the drawn match in 2012 when he awarded a free to Galway to draw the match. Again a controversial decision.

It appears to have gone unnoticed in most quarters that the GAA are clearly not in agreement with the Tipp viewpoint. In 2012 the ref for the drawn match was a sideline official for the replay. Last year there was a similar pattern. But the ref for this years drawn match has been omitted for the replay. The Kilkenny management team never criticised the ref, the GAA didn't need their prompting!

Look just because he waved at us,gave us the thumbs up and winked at me doesn't mean a thing. After all we weren't the ones who had been abusing him for weeks before the match. BTW have ye any objections to Brian Gavin doing the replay?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,377 ✭✭✭robbiezero

Grats wrote: »

Really?
    Have watched it back loads of times, a very clear charge with the ball, he could have given play on at that stage and most ref's would have, but I don't think the decision was incorrect.

If it had not been say Paddy Stapleton or Cathal Barret, Hogan would have flattened em and it would have been an absolute cast-iron free-out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 603 ✭✭✭Gentleman Off The Pitch

robbiezero wrote: »
    Really?
    Have watched it back loads of times, a very clear charge with the ball, he could have given play on at that stage and most ref's would have, but I don't think the decision was incorrect.

If it had not been say Paddy Stapleton or Cathal Barret, Hogan would have flattened em and it would have been an absolute cast-iron free-out.

If you think that Hogan was charging with the ball in that instance then I'm assuming you'll agree that most of times that the two Tipp men you mention, Stapleton and Barrett, broke out of defence during the game that they charged, since both have a habit of putting the headdown and charging into the tackle when breaking out of defence. (Not that I think that they should have been penalised either)

Anyway, no other referee in the country would have given that free against Hogan they would have just waved play on

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭Southern Belle

Interesting point. Brian Hogan had a look on his face that said he had given up trying to make sense of Barry Kelly's decision making. In fact he seemed fairly bewildered by Kelly all day.

(For the record I didn't think Kelly was THAT bad, but the idea that he was GOOD, which many media outlets have sought to argue, is equally mind-boggling. Made some terrible key decisions against us)

Agree re Kelly not being that bad. It looked like he knew that he was being watched for bias and consciously made an effort to bring his umpires into the crucial decisions. No matter how many times I watch it back I think he let the mask slip for the Hogan "free". Hadn't thought about the lack of argument from our lads-v good point

• Registered Users Posts: 431 ✭✭delaney001

PView reportin paul Murphy is out. Hope it's not true, he's the main man at this stage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭Southern Belle

delaney001 wrote: »
    PView reportin paul Murphy is out. Hope it's not true, he's the main man at this stage.

Out on what grounds?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,322 ✭✭✭robwen

Who or what is PView?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,840 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

robwen wrote: »
    Who or what is PView?

premierview.ie

A place of great bitterness and rampant redneckery.

Just kidding, some grand fellas there. Wouldn't take their word on anything though.

• Registered Users Posts: 431 ✭✭delaney001

Out on what grounds?

Dunno, said he was injured training with kk. Very much so hoping it's bull****

• Registered Users Posts: 8,533 ✭✭✭Speak Now

The same PView that reported Mick Fennelly as having left the panel.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭tbiggertycome

I've been trying to figure out what happened in the drawn game All Ireland. I had a very thorough look at it yesterday and a couple of things stood out.

While everyone agrees it was a great game why was it so high scoring if the defences played so well? It was the highest scoring 70 minute All Ireland ever!

The first thing that occurred to me while re-watching it on the Monday was how many times lads got away with a lot of steps taken. So I had a look closely at it.

In the game NO ONE was called for over carrying!

When I counted them I was only counting them if they took 8+ steps.
    Tipp had 13 calls not given against them for over carrying,
    Kilkenny had 3 calls not given against for over carrying.

TBH I was surprised at how few Kilkenny had when I finished counting. When I was counting them I didn't include if they were obviously fouled in the first few steps and were given a bit of leeway. If a forward isn't forced to put the ball on the hurl it gives the defender no chance and leads to lads having to foul or let them past you.

I don't know if B Gavin will call it anymore than B Kelly did. Even looking at both Camogie finals yesterday as far as I saw there was only 1 call for steps, while in both games all sides were overcarrying all day long.

I'm not trying to have a go at B Kelly here I'm just pointing out some facts I gleamed.
    I also counted what I would term possessions having the ball in the hand or controlling it on the ground.
    Tipp had 170
    Kilkenny had 176

Tipp used 63% of the possession well 32% poorly and were fouled 5% of their possessions
    Kilkenny used 65% well 29% poorly and were fouled 6% of their possessions

The top 5 players in Possession for each team were:
    Tipp
    Noel McGrath 23 possessions- 65% good use- 31% poor use- 4% fouled
    Paudric Maher 20- 55% good- 40% poor - 5% fouled
    Kieran Bergin 15- 60% good- 33% poor - 7% fouled
    Bonnar Maher 15- 60% good- 27% poor - 13% fouled
    John O'Dwyer 15- 80% good- 20% poor - 0% fouled

Kilkenny
    Richie Hogan 18 possessions- 78% good use- 17% poor use- 5% fouled
    TJ Reid 17- 53% good- 41% poor - 6% fouled
    C Fennelly 16- 44% good- 44% poor - 12% fouled
    Paul Murphy 14- 79% good- 21% poor - 0% fouled
    Richie Power 14- 79% good- 7% poor - 14% fouled

Hooks Blocks and Tackles
    Tipp
    1-7-9 total=17
    Kilkenny
    1-7-8 total=16

Tipps top depossessors
    J Barry-3 tackles
    G Ryan-1 block & 2 tackles
    Bonnar-1 hook & 1 tackle

Kilkennys top depossessors
    Larkin -1 hook, 2 blocks & 1 tackle
    Buckley-2 blocks & 1 tackle
    TJ - 2 tackles
    P Murph-1 block & 1 tackle
    Jackie -1 block & 1 tackle

The following are for actual frees called by B Kelly

Persistantly fouled players
    Tipp
    Bonnar 2- both=pulling/pushing/trip fouls
    all the rest fouled once.

Kilkenny
    Larkin 3- 1=pulling/ pushing/tripping 1=holding 1=charging
    Power 2- both=pulling/pushing/trip fouls
    C Fennelly 2- both=pulling/pushing/trip fouls
    all the rest fouled once

Persistant foulers
    Tipp
    P Stapelton 3- 3= push/pull/trip
    D Gleeson 2- 1=pick up 1=charging
    P Maher 2- both= push/pull/trip
    Callinan 2- 1= push/pull/trip 1=striking
    all the rest only had one.

Kilkenny
    Larkin 3- 1=chop 1= push/pull/trip 1=the fictious diving call which is not in the GAA rule book
    Jackie 2- both= push/pull/trip
    B Hogan 2- 1= push/pull/trip 1= charging (if you could call it that)
    all the rest fouled once

These are for the blatant calls I saw which B Kelly didn't plus the ones he gave.
    Foulers
    Tipp
    Callanan -5, 3 extra calls were all steps on not given
    Stapelton -5, 2 extra were 1= push/pull/trip 1=holding
    P Maher 4, 2 extra were 1 =steps 1= holding
    J Barry 3, 3 extra were 1=steps 2=push/pull/trip
    Gleeson 2, as per B Kelly
    Barrett 2, 2 extra were steps
    S McGrath 2, 1 extra was steps
    Woodlock 2, 1 extra was steps
    Bonnar 2, 2 extra were steps
    the only extras were Lar and M Cahill neither penalised in game but both should have had steps called against them. Remember I'm talking 8+ steps not 5,6 or 7 for these extra calls

Kilkenny
    Larkin 6, extras were 1=steps & 2=push/pull/trip
    R Hogan 2, extras were both steps
    P Murphy 2, extra was 1=push/pull/trip
    Jackie 2, no extra
    B Hogan 2, no extra

Fouled player
    Tipp
    Bonnar 3, not given 1=push/pull/trip
    Barrett 2, not given 1=push/pull/trip
    P Maher1, not given 1=push/pull/trip

Kilkenny
    Larkin 4, not given 1=push/pull/trip
    Power 3, not given 1=push/pull/trip
    TJ Reid 3, not given 2=push/pull/trip
    Colin 3, not given 1=holding

These I was only calling if I thought it was blatant and obvious if B Kelly let the play run and there was an advantage to the team in possession I didn't count it.

Those suggesting that B Kelly didn't have a large influence on the game are burying their heads in the sand! Do I think he was blatantly biased towards on side? No. Do I think he made mistakes and calls which make him look biased towards one team? A little. Did he set out be biased? I don't think so for a minute.

Did he's decisions wheather intended or not favour one team over the other, I think they did to a degree.

One of the most notably things is how well Tipp played and how absolutely everything sailed over the bar for them even under pressure. Our lads have plenty of scope for improvement. The real question is can they get that out of themselves in the time they have?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,377 ✭✭✭robbiezero

I've been trying to figure out what happened in the drawn game All Ireland. I had a very thorough look at it yesterday and a couple of things stood out.

While everyone agrees it was a great game why was it so high scoring if the defences played so well? It was the highest scoring 70 minute All Ireland ever!

The first thing that occurred to me while re-watching it on the Monday was how many times lads got away with a lot of steps taken. So I had a look closely at it.

TBH I was surprised at how few Kilkenny had when I finished counting. When I was counting them I didn't include if they were obviously fouled in the first few steps and were given a bit of leeway. If a forward isn't forced to put the ball on the hurl it gives the defender no chance and leads to lads having to foul or let them past you.

I don't know if B Gavin will call it anymore than B Kelly did. Even looking at both Camogie finals yesterday as far as I saw there was only 1 call for steps, while in both games all sides were overcarrying all day long.

I'm not trying to have a go at B Kelly here I'm just pointing out some facts I gleamed.
    I also counted what I would term possessions having the ball in the hand or controlling it on the ground.
    Tipp had 170
    Kilkenny had 176

Tipp used 63% of the possession well 32% poorly and were fouled 5% of their possessions

Tipp

Kilkenny

Hooks Blocks and Tackles
    Tipp
    1-7-9 total=17
    Kilkenny
    1-7-8 total=16

Tipps top depossessors
    J Barry-3 tackles
    G Ryan-1 block & 2 tackles
    Bonnar-1 hook & 1 tackle

Larkin -1 hook, 2 blocks & 1 tackle
    Buckley-2 blocks & 1 tackle
    TJ - 2 tackles
    P Murph-1 block & 1 tackle
    Jackie -1 block & 1 tackle

Tipp

Kilkenny
    all the rest fouled once

Persistant foulers
    Tipp

Kilkenny
    Larkin 3- 1=chop 1= push/pull/trip 1=the fictious diving call which is not in the GAA rule book
    all the rest fouled once

These are for the blatant calls I saw which B Kelly didn't plus the ones he gave.
    Foulers
    Tipp
    the only extras were Lar and M Cahill neither penalised in game but both should have had steps called against them. Remember I'm talking 8+ steps not 5,6 or 7 for these extra calls

Kilkenny
    Jackie 2, no extra
    B Hogan 2, no extra

Fouled player
    Tipp

Kilkenny

These I was only calling if I thought it was blatant and obvious if B Kelly let the play run and there was an advantage to the team in possession I didn't count it.

Those suggesting that B Kelly didn't have a large influence on the game are burying their heads in the sand! Do I think he was blatantly biased towards on side? No. Do I think he made mistakes and calls which make him look biased towards one team? A little. Did he set out be biased? I don't think so for a minute.

Did he's decisions wheather intended or not favour one team over the other, I think they did to a degree.

One of the most notably things is how well Tipp played and how absolutely everything sailed over the bar for them even under pressure. Our lads have plenty of scope for improvement. The real question is can they get that out of themselves in the time they have?

Interesting.
    Did his decisions:
    • cost Kilkenny the game?
    • cost Tipp the game?
    • didn't cost either side the game?

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭GFish

WOW - assuming you are broadly correct, that analysis must have taken some serious study - Well done :)

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭GFish

robbiezero wrote: »
    Interesting.
    Did his decisions:
    • cost Kilkenny the game?
    • cost Tipp the game?
    • didn't cost either side the game?

Nobody could possibly know the answer to that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭tbiggertycome

Tipp had 170
    Kilkenny had 176

Tipp

Kilkenny

Hooks Blocks and Tackles
    Tipp
    1-7-9 total=17
    Kilkenny
    1-7-8 total=16

Tipps top depossessors
    J Barry 3=3 tackles
    G Ryan 3=1 block & 2 tackles
    Bonnar 2=1 hook & 1 tackle

Larkin 4=1 hook, 2 blocks & 1 tackle
    Buckley 3=2 blocks & 1 tackle
    TJ 2=2 tackles
    P Murph 2=1 block & 1 tackle
    Jackie 2=1 block & 1 tackle

Tipp

Kilkenny
    all the rest fouled once

Persistant foulers
    Tipp

Kilkenny
    all the rest fouled once

Foulers
    Tipp

Kilkenny
    Jackie 2, no extra
    B Hogan 2, no extra

Fouled player
    Tipp

Kilkenny

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement