Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kilkenny GAA Discussion Thread Mod Warning Post # 5885 #4894 & #5202

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,704 ✭✭✭citykat

Queen-Mise wrote: »

I think in the next game, those goals/penalty shots will be points - it will be a different game then.

They mightn't get them as handy the next day!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,182 ✭✭✭Good loser

Tipp are 11/10. Were 6/4 yesterday. That's fair.

Tipp had better 'missed' goal chances.

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭Shirleysrumbler

Rightwing wrote: »
    He speaks almost like an illiterate. Surely Rte should have some standards and get him English lessons which may cut out the ' I done'
    "

As long as Sheedy attends too. HE done the Done thing alot too. Typical of the kind of "Banking High Flyers" of the recent past.
    To quote a Nun of old "Níl fhios acu nach bhfuil fhios acu"= A definition of ignorance. Like in all honesty , many so called journos in RTE news dept will mix up the past perfect with the partciple ie. "He's happy he's went for the goa"l.

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭Shirleysrumbler

Pudders wrote: »
    And I've been at every all Ireland that we have been in the seniors since 1978 and haven't seen a better match.
    I've been at every All Ireland bar 4 (including non KK ones) since 78-35 in all and that topped the best til today -1990 Cork V Galway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭savannahkat

After watching the match for a second time I marked the performances as follows and wonder how those who were actually there would rate it. On a second look Cillian Buckley was outstanding and I know it wont happen but the sooner he moves to center back the better. Brian Hogan did a lot of good yet it was through him Tipp were most dangerous.
    Eoin Murphy 8
    Paul Murphy 9
    JJ Delaney 7
    J Tyrell 6
    J Holden 6
    Brian Hogan 7
    Cillian Buckley 9
    Conor Fogarty 7
    Ritchie Hogan 10
    Mick Fennelly 6
    Colin Fennelly 6
    TJ Reid 8
    Eoin Larkin 6
    Ritchie Power 8
    Walter Walsh 5
    A Fogarty 5
    P Walsh not on long enough
    Henry ditto

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,761 ✭✭✭Charlie69

After watching the match for a second time I marked the performances as follows and wonder how those who were actually there would rate it. On a second look Cillian Buckley was outstanding and I know it wont happen but the sooner he moves to center back the better. Brian Hogan did a lot of good yet it was through him Tipp were most dangerous.
    Eoin Murphy 8
    Paul Murphy 9
    JJ Delaney 7
    J Tyrell 6
    J Holden 6
    Brian Hogan 7
    Cillian Buckley 9
    Conor Fogarty 7
    Ritchie Hogan 10
    Mick Fennelly 6
    Colin Fennelly 6
    TJ Reid 8
    Eoin Larkin 6
    Ritchie Power 8
    Walter Walsh 5
    A Fogarty 5
    Henry ditto

Joe Holden in particular and B Hogan were poor, I thought Larks had a great game.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,987 ✭✭✭Hitchens

For Tipp the match was a triumph.........for KK it's just unfinished business ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 557 ✭✭✭IrishAlice

Eoin Murphy 8
    Paul Murphy 9
    JJ Delaney 7
    J Tyrell 6
    J Holden 6
    Brian Hogan 7
    Cillian Buckley 9
    Conor Fogarty 7
    Ritchie Hogan 10
    Mick Fennelly 6
    Colin Fennelly 6
    TJ Reid 8
    Eoin Larkin 6
    Ritchie Power 8
    Walter Walsh 5
    A Fogarty 5
    Henry ditto

I'd agree with all those but would maybe put Colin Fennelly a little higher. He only scored one point but his workrate was excellent.

We were questioning why Cody took him off but apparently he was injured. Hopefully nothing too serious because we'll need a full compliment the next day.

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭coopdog85

Rochey18 wrote: »
    Jasus Eddie Brennan a serial snake in the grass tonight.

Don't see how its an issue with the last free, Horgan charged into Maher, shoulder straight into the chest. Simple Free.

Not the refs fault the umpires couldn't help him out.

Mod: No personal abuse of players allowed - read the charter

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,101 ✭✭✭Rightwing

Kkboy wrote: »
    A little bitter about the minor match?? You allright kid, to put it in your language.

Alright I imagine.
    He stated that he'd be disappointed with anything less than an 6 point win for the Limerick minors,, looks like the four point win to Kilkenny is tearing him apart

Limerick failed to get out of 2nd gear, but I did say no excuses. I sort of credit KK with that, but KK themselves looked far from great.

The senior match I felt was 1 of the best ever. Tipp were the superior team and could have won well. Apart from missed goals and penalties everything they did came off. That won't happen the next day. Cody will have to drop Walsh & Fennelly. Passengers. Then I'd go with KK the next day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭droppingball

Thought tipperary hurled the better but pure desire, will to win and know how nearly saw us through. Tipperary seemed to be moving more freely, thought joey holden looked a bit slow alongside Brian Hogan. The big plus a lot of our guys can hurl a lot better.

I hope Richie Hogan is ok and it was only cramp.

Id go with a a front 8 of m fennelly, c fogarty, larkin, richie hogan, Tj, taggy, richie power, c fennelly the next day.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,157 ✭✭✭realdanbreen

Great game yesterday,huge admiration for both teams. 10 minutes to go I would have taken the draw. You could make a case for both teams in the replay, roll on the 27th.

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭timogen

coopdog85 wrote: »
    <SNIP>

Just one question maybe your memory is better than mine, but would you inform me of when in the 2009 championship did Barry Kelly award Kilkenny a penalty. He reffed two Kilkenny games that season Galway and Waterford neither of which do I remember a penalty.
    Maybe you mean D. Kirwin (Cork) who did award Kilkenny a penalty in the final. Your rant about Kelly might have made you look a little bit silly and in that I would take your posts with a pinch of salt.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,656 ✭✭✭Western Pomise

As a neutral watching game was a bit surprised Cody left it so late to bring on Shefflin....is this a sign that he feels that he is not just really up to it at top level when game is in melting pot now?
    And that's fair enough if that's story as he sees him all the time in training.

As a neutral watching game was a bit surprised Cody left it so late to bring on Shefflin....is this a sign that he feels that he is not just really up to it at top level when game is in melting pot now?
    And that's fair enough if that's story as he sees him all the time in training.

He should have brought Shefflin on earlier and given him a chance to get up to pace, 5 minutes is useless.

To be fair to our forwards though once Wally was replaced by Fogarty it was hard to justify taking anyone else off.

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭mercury16

Team for the next day for me

Murphy
    P Murphy; JJ Delaney; J Tyrell
    P Walsh; B Hogan/Joyce; Buckley
    Fogarty; M Fennelly
    L Ryan
    Larkin; R Hogan;
    C Fennelly; TJ Reid; R Power

Firstly there was too much wide open space on the pitch yesterday for Tipp to pass and run into.
    As I said before this game, Bubbles has Holden's number and i'd have Walsh on there instead.
    Centre back -Has to be a consideration for Joyce at centre back, 1.) is he quicker than Hogan and 2) how's his form.
    The half backs need to go no farther out than the 40, and keep the open space in the KK back line to play and run into to nothing
    KK need to drop back the midfield and half forward line, and crowd out the space. Tipp owned the midfield third of the pitch yesterday, you could say that R Hogan played well, but we were over run at midfield and there's no other way to call it. Therefore iD put Lester Ryan on and crowd out the middle......the two midfielders and link up half forward Lester making it a lot more difficult in this area.

Have the remaining two half forwards move towards the middle..makes no difference on the wing as Larkin doesn't have the pace and his marker P Maher drifts into the middle anyway..

I'd leave lots of space in front of our front three and high and low ball every other time into them.. all are fast and can deal with high ball.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,401 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

Does anyone think if Henry started yesterday he would have offered less than Walter Walsh?
    Granted Walter can blow hot and cold but the leadership that Henry commands should stand for something, I hope Cody considers Henry for a longer period the next day, ideally I would like to see him start.

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭mercury16

IrishAlice wrote: »
    He should have brought Shefflin on earlier and given him a chance to get up to pace, 5 minutes is useless.

To be fair to our forwards though once Wally was replaced by Fogarty it was hard to justify taking anyone else off.

It kills me to say it, but Shefflin would never have lived with the pace out there yesterday...that was back to 2009, 2010 pace...

If Shefflin is to play he has to start, and it has to be at full forward or centre forward, he is not upto any other position. Also if he starts it has to be clear...HE WILL be subbed at some stage during the game, that is 100%.

I'd agree with the above though.... with Taggy on for Wally that was our best 6 forwards on the field.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,704 ✭✭✭citykat

Thought fielding by the backs was way below par. Bonner must've caught every ball that came his way in the first half. Even Hogan, who is normally solid under the high ball, was shaky. If we could tighten up on the fielding it'd make things a lot easier for the backs.

mercury16 wrote: »
    It kills me to say it, but Shefflin would never have lived with the pace out there yesterday...that was back to 2009, 2010 pace...

If Shefflin is to play he has to start, and it has to be at full forward or centre forward, he is not upto any other position. Also if he starts it has to be clear...HE WILL be subbed at some stage during the game, that is 100%.

I'd agree with the above though.... with Taggy on for Wally that was our best 6 forwards on the field.

You're probably right about Shefflin but all that seems to be coming out from other players etc. is that he's flying it in training and is the fittest he's ever been.

It's hard to know what to think because he hasn't started a game since the league final. Has anyone seen him in club matches and can comment on his performances?

Up until yesterday I was dead against starting him but I've changed my mind after that game. Introducing him was more of a boost to Tipp than it was to us.

If he starts he might take some of the heat off our other forwards as he still takes watching even for his skill at creating scoring chances.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,731 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Lads ye had Richie hogan and tj reid on the line for the penalties which I found strange, any reasoning behind this?

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 2,233 ✭✭✭ceegee

Lads ye had Richie hogan and tj reid on the line for the penalties which I found strange, any reasoning behind this?

Afaik they have both played in goals at underage.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭dirtyden

Yeah thought that unusual myself. They are obviously seen as the 2 best lads to have in there but I have not seen it too often before where you have 2 more offensively minded players rather than 2 backs in for a penalty.

Did not do Kilkenny any harm yesterday though!!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,157 ✭✭✭realdanbreen

dirtyden wrote: »
    Yeah thought that unusual myself. They are obviously seen as the 2 best lads to have in there but I have not seen it too often before where you have 2 more offensively minded players rather than 2 backs in for a penalty.

Did not do Kilkenny any harm yesterday though!!

Still though they weren't the best of penalty shots. All in all after conceding 3 goals, missing 2 penalty's, hitting the upright, and coming away with a draw I'd be happy enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭oconnol1

Has Barry Kelly retired.

oconnol1 wrote: »
    Has Barry Kelly retired.

Oh don't tease us with something like that the Monday after a drawn All Ireland :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭piuswal

On RTE this morning
    Babs gave KK 6/10 and Tipp 9/10.

Pointed out the late turnovers Jackie etc that would not normally happen and resulted in points as well as Ritchie P not taking his point. All fair enough I'd say because to me it would seem that Tipp hurled out of their skins and just got the draw. What exactly was the last free for, anyway?

KK will learn a lot and probably solve most of the problems that manifested themselves. Remember how they dealt with Galway second time around. So, only one winner KK

ps Let's stick to hurling issues and forget Sheedy's grammar etc.

Winning the replay will answer all issues, on and off the field.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,617 ✭✭✭me89

Noticed this at the Leinster final,Cody seemed to change it after they let two penalties in against Galway.

Thought Richie Hogan was unbelievable yesterday, hopefully he's not injured.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,987 ✭✭✭Hitchens

Still though they weren't the best of penalty shots. All in all after conceding 3 goals, missing 2 penalty's, hitting the upright, and coming away with a draw I'd be happy enough.
    .......and you left out coughing up a 5 point lead Dan :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭EIRE1922

oconnol1 wrote: »
    Has Barry Kelly retired.
    Bump!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement