Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Coming out or not when I'm visiting apartments

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,885 ✭✭✭Stabshauptmann

I've lived in 7 places in Dublin in the past 8 years, with 30 or so people.
    My advice is to find out enough info about potential house mates to discern if you would be compatible.

If you live an openly gay lifestyle, then there is no point hiding that fact when looking to share accommodation.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,512 ✭✭✭baby and crumble

tunedout wrote: »

No sex is not sex. The anal pipe on a man is not intended for that purpose, excrement on the penis etc.

The vagina on a female is intended for the purpose of sex.

That is how it is different for me, one is sick and one is not.

I'm a lesbian, so seeing how there's no 'male anal pipe' involved, I'm assuming I'm ok???

• Registered Users Posts: 5,559 ✭✭✭Slutmonkey57b

I'm a lesbian, so seeing how there's no 'male anal pipe' involved, I'm assuming I'm ok???

Lesbians always get a free pass, because Lesbian sex is, like, hot and stuff. Scientific fact, Bro. Just look it up. No Homosexual noises involved.

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭manic mailman

To summize, your views (to me) are as follows: Has anyone really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like?

OP, (and this is purely my preference) - I'd be up front about it from the get go. There was a guy that I had previously intended on moving out with a few months back but when he found out I was gay his opinion of it/me, etc changed despite him pleading that he was "fine with it".

(Sorry Mods for being frivolous re: the top part here but I really can't stand this nonsense sometimes - and feel the need to respond in kind.....blessed internet memes to the rescue).

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 448 ✭✭tunedout

To summize, your views (to me) are as follows: Has anyone really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like?

OP, (and this is purely my preference) - I'd be up front about it from the get go. There was a guy that I had previously intended on moving out with a few months back but when he found out I was gay his opinion of it/me, etc changed despite him pleading that he was "fine with it".

(Sorry Mods for being frivolous re: the top part here but I really can't stand this nonsense sometimes - and feel the need to respond in kind.....blessed internet memes to the rescue).
    All people who are not gay, are, implicitely, homophobic.

What sad logic.

• Advertisement

Anyway, I'm just glad common sense prevails in this country and people can legally decide not to live with someone based on the persons sexuality. Although, it would be a very sad state of affairs if this was not the case.
    Peoples comfort zones should be respected without them suffering the label of phobics.
    I'm astonished at how blind and unwilling people are to see the situation from another point of view.

Let me give one final example, I am comfortable coming out of the shower in my current house of lads, changing with my door open etc. if one lad was gay i would not be so comfortable. Therefore, i might be more relunctant on this single point for example to live with a gay person. And why should I? Whats the problem with me making a choice on this basis?

Im not even getting into this as its conpletely in the erong direction.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,559 ✭✭✭Slutmonkey57b

Wasn't that your objection to the gay sex too? *confused*

Wasn't that your objection to the gay sex too? *confused*
    No. It wasn't. Mate.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭m.j.w

When a women is sharing an apartment and states females only is this seen as a discrimination? No! In my view people should be allowed to decide who they share there homes with.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭The Clown Man

Lol that tunedout guy was hilarious! :D

To the OP, for what it's worth, as a straight guy I'd see no fault at all in telling them after you have got a chance to get to know them and get on well with them. I say that because all anyone is ever afraid of is what they don't know. If they know you and like you they won't give a **** what you are doing and might even learn a bit on the way.

The odd chance that they might be of the few that would use the "you lied to us" ploy knowing right well it's none of their ****ing business anyway. You'd know they were though and I'm guessing you'd hardly want to live with them in the first place.

People are irrationally afraid of what they don't know, but it seems, the stupider the person, the more afraid they seem to get. Maybe because a less stupid person would seek educate himself and maybe know more about the unknowns before deciding on anything irrationally and illogically, whereas the more stupid person would go find a stone to hit something with.

You've seen two distinct layers of stupidity here;
    Pretty Stupid, but giving they guys in the apartment you visited the full and maybe unwarranted benefit of the doubt, maybe put on the spot and made to think fast, resulting in poorer decision making than normal which they may even regret themselves, and
    Really Stupid, thinking that calling homosexual noises and such sick, is 1. A perfectly acceptable stance, 2. An excellent point to communicate in a generally nonspecific argument against all forms of non-heterosexual engagement, 3. In a LGBT forum.

Anyway, I digress. :)

I'd say if you find a group of halfway intelligent people, some of whom might even fall into Pretty Stupid above, tell them after spending some time to get on friendly terms. That will make the news easier to manage for anyone who might be in the Pretty Stupid category, who won't give a crap once they know you.

Dunno if that is good advice or not but hey!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 899 ✭✭✭oisindoyle

Anyway, I'm just glad common sense prevails in this country and people can legally decide not to live with someone based on the persons sexuality. Although, it would be a very sad state of affairs if this was not the case.
    Peoples comfort zones should be respected without them suffering the label of phobics.
    I'm astonished at how blind and unwilling people are to see the situation from another point of view.?

But it is YOU who cannot see that the numerous comments you made are homophobic .It has nothing to do with "another point of view",it is homophobia pure and simple ,
    Let me give one final example, I am comfortable coming out of the shower in my current house of lads, changing with my door open etc. if one lad was gay i would not be so comfortable. Therefore, i might be more relunctant on this single point for example to live with a gay person. And why should I? Whats the problem with me making a choice on this basis?

So what are you afaid of exactly? Do you think that just because you are coming out of a shower a gay guy is going to jump up ?
    Again it is down to ,,,,,,,,,"Homophobia is basically the irrational fear or revulsion due to, or bias against homosexuality "
    You can try to dress it up whatever way you want but the bottom line is you are homophobic

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭liquoriceall

I think what you have all failed to realise is that tunedup is hot and no gay man could resist so really tunedup is doing everyone a favour by not subjecting some poor young lad to unrequited lust........me Id be fine with my safe lesbian noises lol

• Registered Users Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭The Clown Man

No I get it, cause in fairness you do come across as irresistible. I'm just looking up "man crush" now to make sure I'm still straight. Dude, I can see what you mean. Close the ****ing room door.

You know, what's made this thread so enjoyable for me is that I've read all your posts as Karl Pilkington - and it's hilarious! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,512 ✭✭✭baby and crumble

You live in a house full of men, walk around naked and change with your bedroom door open? That's a bit gay, isn't it?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭Lingua Franca

Of course not, he just doesn't like being around gay men because they make him think funny thoughts about gay sex and that makes him uncomfortable.

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭nordisk celt83

No sex is not sex. The anal pipe on a man is not intended for that purpose, excrement on the penis etc.

The vagina on a female is intended for the purpose of sex.

That is how it is different for me, one is sick and one is not.

Revolutionary enlightenment right there!!!

Darn, no more blowjobs, fingering, jizzing in hands, sheets, chests or other body parts... They're not intended for sex!!!

May as well ban kissing and holding hands while we're at it too; they're intimate affection not intended for having sex.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,297 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

OP, if you do end up in a house with someone like tunedout, do us all a favour, and ensure you get yourself a screamer :pac:

=-=

Maybe ask on daft for a gay house? Google brings up these two examples;

From 2009; http://www.daft.ie/discussions.daft?dcn%5Bdiscussion_id%5D=118612&dcn%5Bforum_id%5D=3

From 45 days ago; http://www.daft.ie/searchteamup.daft?s%5Bbrowse%5D=1&s%5Bsearch%5D=1&s%5Bmovein_date%5D=0&offset=50&id=68699

It seems you go onto http://www.daft.ie/searchteamup.daft and ask for X house, say your gay, looking for a gay friendly house, and people reply.

=-=

From the point of view of a straight dude, I don't really care either way about your sexual orientation. In saying that, I wouldn't be able to live with any ultra holy religious freaks.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 tster

A certain someone on here seems very passionate about all this. Reminds me of the Simpsons, he's so anti gay he's obviously secretly super gay!! :P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭face1990

I'd say it's quite a relevant question. Would you be happy to live with a lesbian? Or does your aversion to homosexuality only apply to male homosexuals?

You said that what makes gay sex 'sick' is the lack of a vagina, so is the lack of a penis equally sick?

At the end of the day, you can choose who you want to live with, and hold whatever views you wish. But that doesnt change the fact that your views of gay people are out-dated and bigoted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 41,034 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

As clarified earlier in the thread, that is their right. While a landlord cannot discriminate against who he leases to on sexual preference grounds (or any of the other stated grounds), tenants can make their decision about who they wish to live with on any grounds they like without fear of legal penalty.

Actually I changed that because I am unsure.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 510 ✭✭✭CdeC

Ok well its clear people here are blind to other peoples preferences here.I fully agree with the house for refusing if thats not what they wanted or they were not comfortable with that sort of thing.

I didn't realise people from the past could post on boards....amazing. !!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 899 ✭✭✭oisindoyle

tster wrote: »
    A certain someone on here seems very passionate about all this. Reminds me of the Simpsons, he's so anti gay he's obviously secretly super gay!! :P

Well you know ,Scratch beneath a homophobe and you will find a closet case,

I think this thread discussion is perhaps going down the road of not actually answering the OPs questions at all and isn't giving him any advice. Tunedouts issues are overtaking the thread.

I don't feel this is particularly helpful because the OPs request for advice is getting totally lost.
    Please keep further contributions on this thread to answering the OPs questions

As always pm me with feedback as per the charter

Folks I think the side discussion on turnedout is done in this thread. Please try to keep this thread to relevant advice to the OP from now on.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭boredboard

OP I think you had a lucky escape... so therefore it may possibly be the best approach to up front about your sexuality and if you are you will end up with decent housemates.

face1990 wrote: »

At the end of the day, you can choose who you want to live with, and hold whatever views you wish. But that doesnt change the fact that your views of gay people are out-dated and bigoted.

Great I'll settle for that so, I can live with being labeled a homophobe by someone who is an easily offended homosexual.

Very ,very mild set of conditions to be labelled a homophobe by a homosexual.

Great I'll settle for that so,

Ok great - Now back to giving the OP advice.....

Terry Pratchet

Ok great - Now back to giving the OP advice.....
    Ok, my advice to the OP is yes Op you should tell them when your visiting because even non-homophobic people might not be comfortable living with a homosexual.

The same way a house full of gays might not want a straight person living with them.

The same way I've seen houses for rent that said 'Looking to rent room to gay professional'. I think thats normal and not heterophobic.

People often feel more comfortable living with people who share the same interests as them. Sexuality can be considered a major interest.

So yes, I think sexuality should be disclosed if you are a gay moving into a house of straight people.

I dunno, I just fail to see what difference it makes whether you're gay or straight, or black or white, or canadian or japanese. I will never get it. It's something that boggles my mind.

Anyway, OP - my first reaction is no, you shouldn't tell them because it's none of their business, but in saying that - if you would be more comfortable being up front about it then that's what you should do. It's entirely up to you, but if you're happy not to say anything, you're certainly not obliged to.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 826 ✭✭✭what the hell!

I dunno, I just fail to see what difference it makes whether you're gay or straight, or black or white, or canadian or japanese. I will never get it. It's something that boggles my mind.

Anyway, OP - my first reaction is no, you shouldn't tell them because it's none of their business, but in saying that - if you would be more comfortable being up front about it then that's what you should do. It's entirely up to you, but if you're happy not to say anything, you're certainly not obliged to.

What about a gay Canadian Japanese now that's a totally different story!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement