Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Atlantic Storm Watch: Turning Unsettled with Gales

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

what is the predicted central pressure with the storm on monday?

950-960.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

c5C5m9I.jpg
    met.ie-logo.gif
    Metéireann logo came from this?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Harps

what is the predicted central pressure with the storm on monday?

Looks to be around 960hPa but the centre's well to our north, pressure over the country around 975hPa in Donegal to 1000hPa in Cork

Ya I was very surprised to see the warning today given that the models have been so unreliable of late.

I'd say they have a bit more confidence now in Monday after the 12Z runs. I suppose when it's only 48 hours out they have to give a warning because the potential is there even if it does downgrade by then. The predicted convective gusts look severe but I'm waiting to see what Estofex say about that before taking the GFS at face value.

The high seas part of the warning is something thats in motion now anyway regardless of Monday's low.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

RTE forecast had a lovely look at that storm on the satellite there just now - jaysis it looked fantastic earlier today!

• Advertisement

Latest sea area forecast for Sunday-Monday period mentions storm force for all sea areas, with the possibility of violent storm force.
    Outlook for a further 24 hours until 1800 Monday 28 January 2013: Strong to gale force, southwest winds, gradually increasing strong gale to storm force in all areas, and possibly reaching violent storm force at times later; showers or longer spells of rain. Warning of heavy swell on western and northern coasts.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,522 ✭✭✭Speak Now

Nothing but rain, wind and floods for last 2 days in Waterford. Hoping Mondays storm heads even further north than modelled. Could do without it in rural areas especially.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,329 ✭✭✭naughto

ya cant beat a good oul storm tho as long as no one get hurt or me house doesnt get blown away

• Registered Users Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Iancar29

Just home from work... and i see this!!

238145.png

Looks like it could go bang near the west coast too!

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭cyclops999

What are the chances of Alert Level being Upgraded

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Harps

As per usual the front decides to come to life once it leaves our shores :rolleyes:

69475069.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭Mr Cumulonimbus

Enlarged image at 1200 today.

238164.jpeg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,778 ✭✭✭Joe Public

Why is Casement scoring higher than most places on the wind speeds over the past few days?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,550 ✭✭✭Min

Probably the most impressive Atlantic low I've seen in terms of structure. The scale is amazing.

I can't believe so many weather fans were more interested in a bit of snizzle and wet snow compared to this. :P

c5C5m9I.jpg

It is an amazing storm alright, even not accounting for the pressure level it reached, the sheer size of it as shown by this graphic is something else, from the Arctic to the tropics.

• Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭Spindle

Some really powerful gusts tonight, Cork Airport recorded a gust of 44 knots on the last report, have no way of measuring the wind speed here, but the windows just rattled a few minutes ago from a gust, which is the first time I have heard that in a while.

Also looking at the latest radar is that a weak squall line that is starting over the midlands??? Looks like the start of one on the last frame @ 22:15. Any reports from the midlands.

Spindle wrote: »
    Some really powerful gusts tonight, Cork Airport recorded a gust of 44 knots on the last report, have no way of measuring the wind speed here, but the windows just rattled a few minutes ago from a gust, which is the first time I have heard that in a while.

Also looking at the latest radar is that a weak squall line that is starting over the midlands??? Looks like the start of one on the last frame @ 22:15. Any reports from the midlands.

I'm in Kilkenny at the moment, we've had some heavy rain here in the last hour or so with strong gusts.

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭cyclops999

Spindle wrote: »

Very heavy rain & wind in Athlone

this storm could be very sever yet there is only a small number of people
    on it, last week we had a few flakes of snow and the thread went in to meltdown.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭whiteandlight

We have stormy wet weather all year round, we very rarely get snow. Different strokes for different folks

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭chilipepper

naughto wrote: »
    this storm could be very sever yet there is only a small number of people
    on it, last week we had a few flakes of snow and the thread went in to meltdown.

I like it better like this. Two many crazy snow bunnies last week.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,448 ✭✭✭✭joes girls

Very heavy rain now in wexford, and the wind is bad too, is this the start of the storm.

I like it better like this. Two many crazy snow bunnies last week.
    so do i some of the charts are very good now if i could read them it would be better.and maquiladora do u ever sleep u seem to be on here all the time.:D
    your input is very very good .

• Registered Users Posts: 6,317 ✭✭✭sunbabe08

scary winds and gusts here in cork

joes girls wrote: »
    Very heavy rain now in wexford, and the wind is bad too, is this the start of the storm.

It's the start of a period of wet and windy weather that will probably last (on and off) to the end of next week. How wet and how windy remains to be seen.

naughto wrote: »
    so do i some of the charts are very good now if i could read them it would be better.and maquiladora do u ever sleep u seem to be on here all the time.:D
    your input is very very good if u as me

Ah I'm always lurkin around. :D Usually there isn't anything happening worth posting about though.

• Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭Spindle

Everything has died down here in Cork anyway, wind gone completely after a crazy period of really strong gusts.

Looking at the radar, there is a heavy line of rain in the midlands now, moving over towards the east coast. Sure hope IanCar is looking on, seems to be getting stronger.

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭Fluffycloud

Tucked up in bed listening to the wild wind. Glad I'm indoors. Spare a thought for the homeless .

• Registered Users Posts: 5,858 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

It took the edge of the rain about two hours to go from Cork to Dublin. Thats faster than you can drive it.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

cyclops999 wrote: »
    Very heavy rain & wind in Athlone

ah its not that bad ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭Musefan

I can't hear any wind in Dublin 6 :(

Edit: What I thought was my neighbour upstairs, was actually the wind :0

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement