Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Atlantic Storm Watch: Turning Unsettled with Gales

Options
1242526272830»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 43,024 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

a friend tells me car windscreens are being cracked by hailstones on Mary St Dublin now:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,572 ✭✭✭DominoDub

Hail for 2 mins in Dublin 4 ...ground now white

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

lolie wrote: »
    Looking at the radar thats the same shower that dropped big hail here about half 1. You hardly took any pics?

It all happened in the space of a minute, was more awe struck just looking at it to do much else, everything was white outside after it, neighbors car window was cracked from it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 510 ✭✭✭dopolahpec

It made hailstones the size of hailstones just now in Ringsend

• Registered Users Posts: 1,836 ✭✭✭dacogawa

Epic hail in D4 there!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,283 ✭✭✭positron

dopolahpec wrote: »
    It made hailstones the size of hailstones just now in Ringsend

That's rare enough alright. :P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,572 ✭✭✭DominoDub

Hail from Castlebar :eek: pic via twitter
    https://twitter.com/tourismpure

238929.JPG

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭paddy ocon

nothing in citywest just wind

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭h57xiucj2z946q

Hail stones, Golden Island Athlone.

Sorry the video came out in portrait rather than landscape (missus used the phone), just make full screen with 1080p quality.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p7dv9rDMHuU

• Registered Users Posts: 2,330 ✭✭✭lolie

dopolahpec wrote: »
    I have never seen hailstones as big as golf balls in Ireland, but there seems to be quite a few reports of the the last few days. Any pics with scale?

Ones that fell here were up to 20mm,i measured them.
    No where near golf ball but biggest i've seen here.
    2 hours later and still havnt melted

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,508 ✭✭✭Speak Now

hail-hands_1449471i.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 7,238 ✭✭✭Deank

hail-hands_1449471i.jpg

Now that's hailstone :eek:, where did they fall Jerry?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭Rougies

• Registered Users Posts: 932 ✭✭✭snowstorm445

Last nights storm left us without power for over an hour, some truly brilliant flashes of lightning and epic rumbles of thunder. Haven't seen anything that strong before, at least not in Ireland anyway. The closest I counted was a mere kilometre away and the thunder was powerful it rattled the window!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,508 ✭✭✭Speak Now

Deank wrote: »
    Now that's hailstone :eek:, where did they fall Jerry?

Austria, Fortunately we dont get them that big here :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 142 ✭✭Eden3

"Atlantic Storm Watch: Turning Unsettled with Gales" ....

"Unsettled" is the under-statement ..... weather past few days has been seriously unusual - anyone agree?

We've had stormy weather before - I've lost the odd tree here and there at home, but this morning "bet all". On the last road of my journey to work 3 huge trees had fallen on different parts of the 3km road I travel. It was a very challenging drive today!

When in work - the weirdest grumbles of thunder kept happening all morning. So much so that both Boss and me looked at each other in shock a few times!!:eek:

Above reports of huge hailstones is unnerving ...!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,066 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

A Met Eireann 2259 update with a nice "Cold" theme for next week....Headline : Very unsettled weather continuing, with very strong winds at times. Turning very cold from Monday night onwards, with a risk of wintry showers.

Saturday night : Cold and mainly dry at first in the east, with a risk of frost, but milder weather, with rain will spread from the west, with freshening south to southwest winds, later veering westerly.
    Sunday : Mild, with good bright or sunny spells developing for a time, but rain and drizzle will develop along west and southwest coasts, spreading eastwards later. Mild, with fresh westerly winds, strengthening and becoming strong to gale force on Sunday night, with widespread rain, clearing to scattered showers.
    Monday : Cold and very windy, with sunny spells and scattered showers of rain or hail. Max. 6 to 9 C, with strong to gale force westerly winds.
    Turning much colder on Monday night, with showers turning increasingly wintry, with the risk of snow showers, especially in the north and northwest.
    Risk of frost and icy stretches also, despite the fresh to strong westerly wind.
    Tuesday : Bitterly cold and very windy, with a mix of bright spells and heavy showers, many of them wintry, with a risk of scattered thunderstorms.
    Max. 3 to 6 C, in a strong to gale force west to northwest wind. The risk of frost and icy patches continues on Tuesday night, with further wintry showers.
    Wednesday : Still very cold, with fresh to strong northerly winds and with sunny spells and showers, some of them wintry, especially in the north, with a continuing risk of thunder. Strong northerly winds will ease on Wednesday night, and it will be mostly dry, but very cold and frosty.

Further outlook : Early indications are that it will remain very unsettled in the second half of next week and very cold much of the time, with frost at night and a risk of wintry precipitation

• Registered Users Posts: 6,880 ✭✭✭pauldry

Id say monday night and tuesday will snow but then rain and sleet. However I think frost at night will make roads particularly challenging, here in the Northwest anyhow

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,550 ✭✭✭Min

It is on Fox news about wind surfing off Ireland in stormy weather.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,336 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

I would suggest locking this thread and starting a new one for the Monday night through Tuesday-Wednesday risk of wintry weather, would say a level 2 is justified especially in comparison to other levels used on other occasions, although level 2 more for Connacht and Ulster perhaps, level 1 for Leinster and Munster in broad general terms. Read my forecast for details, I have put in some discussion sections.

The ECM is all but saying severe cold in a week to ten days with the location of upper features and 850 mb temperatures approaching -12 C near eastern coasts of Britain. Snow potential with that phase is uncertain for Ireland in particular, probably goes without saying that some parts of eastern England could see heavy falls, but the chance of severe frost in the -7 to -12 C range over any kind of snow cover (even patchy) would be considerable in the pattern shown. But it must be said that some other models are returning to a more zonal appearance after a couple of days, so this remains rather speculative at present. Of course, I'm speculating it is correct.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭Redsunset

New thread coming:)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement