Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Atlantic Storm Watch: Turning Unsettled with Gales

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭downwiththatsor

Tactical wrote: »
    Good heavy hail shower here at the moment. No hint of thunder. Winds pretty much from the southwest.

The ground is white with hail and its still lashing down.
    Surprised there is no thunder with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,736 ✭✭✭ch750536

Tactical wrote: »
    Very wind night here in West Limerick with lots of showers.

Recent hail shower here this morning.

Somewhere near you, we had severe winds last night. Only the second time in 9 years that a full wheelie bin has blown over (non scientific scale of damn windiness)

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 3,092 Mod ✭✭✭✭ktulu123

It's crazy windy here in Kilmacanogue at about 475 ASL

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭RoisinD

Reading some of the replies early in the night I thought I had imagined the weather overnight:) However some of you have confirmed what I had. Very heavy hail showers with gusts of wind in excess of 40mph. Also some thunder with lightning around 4.15am.
    It was rather surreal with the wind howling the hail lashing and the moon so bright.
    Winds increasing again now as I see on the radar another lot of showers approaching.

NW CLare

• Registered Users Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭snaps

Yesterday very mild, peaked at 11.3c, today the opposite, 1.8c. Just had a blizzard of hail, which turned to snow. Very black skies to the west.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭daelight

If there any images of epic surf .. please post links! Looks like something brewing just east of Newfoundland too...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭irish1967

Nice loud thunder here in Donegal Town right now..:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭Weathering

Thunder sleet and gusty winds temp 2.8 in donegal

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,567 ✭✭✭Red Pepper

Wild here in West Galway. Shocking rain last night and we've seen rain before.
    Heavy Hail and Sleet showers now with wind picking up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 331 ✭✭Harry Deerpark

daelight wrote: »
    If there any images of epic surf .. please post links! Looks like something brewing just east of Newfoundland too...

http://www.oceanscene.ie/lahinchsurfingcentersurfwebcam.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭irish1967

Heavy hail.. big wind gusts and thunder and lightening... I LOVE weather like this !:)

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭shmaupel

Just outside Donegal town, lightning and thunder just now followed swiftly by an unbelievably vicious hail shower, really picking up storm wise.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

A big downgrade for winds Monday. Gusts only to 110 km/h and strongest only in the west coast. Nothing exceptional at all. Weve already had gusts stronger than that this winter.
    Issued at 27 January 2013 - 10:39 Weather Warnings

1.Winds Today West to southwest winds will reach mean speeds of 45 to 60 km/hr today with gusts of 80 to 100 km/hr. Winds will be strongest in the west and northwest.

Valid: today from 1030 to 2400

2. Winds Monday On Monday, south to southwest winds, becoming southwesterly will reach mean speeds of 50 - 65 km/hr with gusts of 90 to 110 km/hr. Winds will be strongest along the west coast.

Valid: Monday 28/01/2013 from 0900 to 2400

3. High Seas Today on Monday Exceptionally high waves on Atlantic coasts today and tomorrow will bring a threat of coastal flooding, especially at times of high tide.

Valid: today at 1000 to Monday 28/01/2013 at 2400

So nothing exceptional tomorrow then Maq?

Weathering wrote: »
    So nothing exceptional tomorrow then Maq?

Not based on that warning anyway. There were gusts of 131 km/h recorded in December, so a warning for up to 110 km/h is hardly a big deal for the exposed west coast.

The lows are going to be tracking further away from us than the models were previously showing, its something that almost always happens.

It will still be windy of course, with some big gusts inland at times, and some people will probably lose power.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭snaps

The conemmara mountains are getting a nice covering of white on them now.

Not based on that warning anyway. There were gusts of 131 km/h recorded in December, so a warning for up to 110 km/h is hardly a big deal for the exposed west coast.

The lows are going to be tracking further away from us than the models were previously showing, its something that almost always happens.

It will still be windy of course, with some big gusts inland at times, and some people will probably lose power.

Yeah 110 is nothing in reality to the West coast. It's annoying but that's the weather for you. BBC2 weather for the week ahead is on around 11.55am

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Harps

First interesting nights weather in months! Woke up in a daze around 4am to roaring wind and torrential hail and sleet battering against the window, never heard any thunder but was awoken another three times to similar scenes

For tomorrow, it was never looking like a major storm really but GFS is still showing gusts widely above 60kts, ECMWF looks less intense which is probably what ME have gone with

GFS has 75kts not far offshore so still a chance of something more severe
    1301281522706.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 845 ✭✭✭tylercollins

snowing here in Eglinton on and off

Harps wrote: »
    First interesting nights weather in months! Woke up in a daze around 4am to roaring wind and torrential hail and sleet battering against the window, never heard any thunder but was awoken another three times to similar scenes

For tomorrow, it was never looking like a major storm really but GFS is still showing gusts widely above 60kts, ECMWF looks less intense which is probably what ME have gone with

GFS has 75kts not far offshore so still a chance of something more severe
    1301281522706.gif

12Z HIRLAM yesterday was showing much stronger winds for Monday, which probably triggered Met Eireann's strong warning yesterday for damaging mean winds and gusts for most places.

Compare that to gusts up to 110 km/h, highest on the west coast, and its a pretty big downgrade.

GFS was also showing Mondays low much closer to us a couple of days ago, with stronger winds over a wide area. But as I said back then, I had a feeling this downgrade would happen!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,428 ✭✭✭ZX7R

Gust of wind blue the doors of my garage open last night ,it was so strong it broke a length of 4/2 timber i use to put across them to make the more sturdy,thank god the roof stayed on ,i will be doing more reinforcing after reading what still to come on this tread
    thanks all for the updates on the winds to come

• Registered Users Posts: 1,296 ✭✭✭Geomy

That place is going to be epic at high tide they might have to close the promenade carpark.
    I guess there will be a few feet of frothy foam there :D

White water all the way for a good surf you need an offshore with a swell coming in towards the offshore breeze

Stay away from any piers or slipways today as its going to be some storm...

Met office just released a wind warning for Scotland on Wednesday
    Gusts of 60-70mph well inland wit 80 possible in the North West
    Nothing for NI,so looks like no wind event this week now,getting slightly tired wit downgrades this Winter

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/public/weather/warnings/#?tab=map&map=Warnings&zoom=5&lon=-2.64&lat=56.75&fcTime=1359201660&regionName=gr

They've also removed Tuesday's rain warning for NI which included gusts of 70mph in the chief forecaster's assessment

• Registered Users Posts: 684 ✭✭✭pushkii

thunder here in Limerick

Weathering wrote: »
    Met office just released a wind warning for Scotland on Wednesday
    Gusts of 60-70mph well inland wit 80 possible in the North West
    Nothing for NI,so looks like no wind event this week now,getting slightly tired wit downgrades this Winter

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/public/weather/warnings/#?tab=map&map=Warnings&zoom=5&lon=-2.64&lat=56.75&fcTime=1359201660®ionName=gr

They've also removed Tuesday's rain warning for NI which included gusts of 70mph in the chief forecaster's assessment

Yep, Tuesdays low was looking like bringing strong winds a couple of days ago but now the models have it tracking further away from us with only Scotland at risk.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Harps

Yep, Tuesdays low was looking like bringing strong winds a couple of days ago but now the models have it tracking further away from us with only Scotland at risk.

Still looks good on the ECMWF, knowing our luck though it'll right for tomorrows event and wrong for Tuesday night

ECM1-72_ndt7.GIF

• Registered Users Posts: 23,922 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Downgrades of snow=bad Downgrades of damaging winds=good

I dont think it will be an uneventful week nontheless

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,471 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

Just after getting very gusty here in North Tipperary, and there is sleet mixed in with the heavy rain!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,144 ✭✭✭pad199207

a real powerful squall here now with sleet and snow

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,144 ✭✭✭pad199207

Massive flash of lightning here in Kildare now, thundersnow!!!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement