Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Atlantic Storm Watch: Turning Unsettled with Gales

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

968mb at 9pm.

18Z GFS is now going for a peak intensity of 931mb, slightly weaker than previous runs but still very intense.

Hey maq do you know if the rain tomorrow evening will be as heavy and long as today's.

Probably similar to today. Maybe a bit heavier in some places.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭Big Daddy Cool

Probably similar to today. Maybe a bit heavier in some places.
    Ok i taught it was faster moving system then today's.Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭Weathering

Gfs seems to be pushing them further north

Starting to come into view on Sat24. Should look very impressive in the early morning: http://www.sat24.com/en/eu

North Atlantic view : http://www.ssd.noaa.gov/goes/east/natl/flash-rgb.html

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭Big Daddy Cool

Beautiful night now in north meath, real calm before the storm feel to it. Flood water all gone from around the House........until tomorrow :(

• Registered Users Posts: 10,085 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

A 2256 update from Met Eireann....Outlook is for very disturbed weather with stormy conditions at times and some very wet periods especially in the west and southwest.
    Sunday night: Cold and very windy on Sunday night with scattered heavy rain, hail and sleet showers in parts of the west and north, but dry and clear through the midlands and east. Some patchy frost developing in spite of the wind in the early part of the night and risk of icy patches. However rain and milder conditions on the west coast by morning.
    Extremely windy or stormy in places on Monday, especially coastal areas of the west and south. Gale force southerly winds over land will veer westerly later with severe gusts of 100 to 140km/hr in exposed places and strong gale or storm force winds at Sea.
    Rain becoming widespread and heavy Monday morning with falls of 10 to 15mm in places, but clearing eastwards to squally showers during the afternoon and evening. Temperatures of 7 to 11 degrees. Winds moderating for a time on Monday night but becoming very windy again on Tuesday and possibly stormy in northwestern areas. Wet also with persistent and at times heavy rain but clearing to showery conditions later in the day but staying very windy well into the night.
    Still windy and very blustery on Wednesday but not stormy. Generally cool and bright with sunny spells and occasional heavy showers, mostly in the southwest, west and north. Risk of some frost overnight. More wet and windy weather on Thursday with the risk of stormy conditions again in places later in the day. Cold blustery showery conditions on Friday. Staying unsettled over next weekend but lighter winds means frostier conditions when skies are clea

I thought the north west was supposed to be worst affected by Monday's winds

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Harps

Starting to come into view on Sat24. Should look very impressive in the early morning: http://www.sat24.com/en/eu

North Atlantic view : http://www.ssd.noaa.gov/goes/east/natl/flash-rgb.html

Found a great site here for satellite views, for the Atlantic, click hemispheric products on the left then either North Atlantic or Polar (for a view of the whole northern hemisphere). Click product menu above the image to get options for up to 48 hours loop in either visible, infrared or water vapour views. The water vapour view really looks amazing on the polar sat, the polar vortex and all the various lows really stand out

http://weather.cod.edu/satrad/

Some great imagery on the 1km satellite there as well though it only covers the US

ASII_20130126_0000.png

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

140km/hr in exposed places and strong gale

I don't get out out of bed for anything less than 120km, you have just sparked my interest.

Here here pangea,I hope it hits during the day/coming in to the evening. Bad for transport etc but am I bothered ha

Don't take the forecasts for gusts to 140 km/h as gospel just yet. There are changes with the models on each run with how those lows are handled and it would only take a fairly small shift north (which usually does happen, and has happened since yesterday on some models) for the strongest winds to miss us.

It's safe to say we are in for a some windy weather, but just how windy remains to be seen. At the moment I'm not convinced we will see anything too out of the ordinary for Ireland. Strong winds on exposed northwest coasts in winter is not unusual.

The potential will be there though. Interesting few days ahead.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,055 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

Weathering wrote: »
    Here here pangea,I hope it hits during the day/coming in to the evening. Bad for transport etc but am I bothered ha
    I hope it doesn't hit at all, I would prefer if the tiles on my roof stayed on my roof! :rolleyes:

I hope it doesn't hit at all, I would prefer if the tiles on my roof stayed on my roof! :rolleyes:

Super glue them

Last post for the night.

NOAA chart for midnight. They put it at 950mb at that time, GFS had it down to 956mb at midnight, so slightly stronger than the GFS there. That was 3 hours ago so it should quite a bit deeper now.

gmpfjLw.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭snaps

Nice pic of the Atlantic with Jolle winding her self up to the west. 4amUTC.

238062.jpg

Looks very impressive on satellite now : http://www.sat24.com/en/eu?ir=true

Hurricane force winds and huge seas out there now.

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭Monkaa

Looks very impressive on satellite now : http://www.sat24.com/en/eu?ir=true

Hurricane force winds and huge seas out there now.

Wow impressive :)

Any idea what time that band of rain from the west will hit Dublin? I'm meant to be going for a walk up & through the Dublin mountains at 1 this afternoon but don't fancy getting caught & drowned!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,146 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭Ahorseofaman

this should be well worth keeping an eye on over the next few days
    http://www.oceanscene.ie/lahinchsurfingcentersurfwebcam.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 423 ✭✭triskell

this should be well worth keeping an eye on over the next few days
    http://www.oceanscene.ie/lahinchsurfingcentersurfwebcam.html

Fantastic. ta very much for the link. all that's missing is the sound of the waves:D:D

Great link,I'm on my phone is there anyway u could link the run after that to I see what it's like in Donegal,can't get it
    Or tell me how. Thanks

Those would be some serious, damaging convective gusts if that model is right. Much stronger than winds would be from the pressure gradient.

Worth keeping a close eye on, I'd imagine that would be an Estofex Level 3. At least the low on Tuesday is staying well away now, that looks even worse.

Those would be some serious, damaging convective gusts if that model is right. Much stronger than winds would be from the pressure gradient.

Worth keeping a close eye on, I'd imagine that would be an Estofex Level 3. At least the low on Tuesday is staying well away now, that looks even worse.

Maq,Tuesday low is close enough to still hit the Northern third of Eire bad. That's my take from the lastest GFS but u know more than me.
    It seems to push north stall and veer directly towards mid/southern western Scotland

Weathering wrote: »
    Maq,Tuesday low is close enough to still hit the Northern third of Eire bad. That's my take from the lastest GFS but u know more than me.
    It seems to push north stall and veer directly towards mid/southern western Scotland

I was only looking at the 06Z GFS up to 72 hours on LightningWizard, but yes it does turn more towards us then and brings some very strong winds to the northwest on Wednesday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭Mr Cumulonimbus

Image at mid-day.

238080.jpeg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 853 ✭✭✭Pappa Charlie

Image at mid-day.

238080.jpeg

The dolly bird on RTE weather seemed to be playing it down but I always manage to get distracted after the first few sentences, maybe I missed the warning!

• Advertisement

What a beautiful beast. :D

4Ie72TJ.jpg

Wqug7fz.jpg

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement