Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How will you choose between MS & Sony's new consoles?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,207 ✭✭✭hightower1

Atari Jaguar /thread.

Seriousy though, will prob take x2 days off again this year for e3. Stream all the coverage to the TV and kick back and let MS and Sony pitch for my cash.

Feeling very peeved at MS for the lack of attention on the hardcore the last few years so Im not leaning ether way. Im pretty open to whatever each company has to offer. I def dont wanna see more moton controls or mdia center ****e that no one outside the US could be bothered with or even get.

I wanna see horespower, lots of it... and I wanna see devs truely use thatpower for better AI and larger and more immersive worlds.
    I would like to see one of the two companies having signed exclusive content with Oculus. That'd make my e3 but in reality we will prob see MS show off a high tech projector that will promise the world ala kinect but deliver very little .... ala kinect. Sony are gonna push 4k to try drum up their TV sales (just like they tried with 3d gaming) and streaming gaming / services after their Gaikai purchase..... sigh.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

wnolan1992 wrote: »
    I'll probably get the next Xbox at launch, just because I've been using a 360 for years, like XBL, and generally prefer Microsoft to Sony as a company these days.

That said, I'll more than likely be picking up a PS4 during 2014 (assuming a 2013 release) anyway, especially if it has PS3 backwards compatibility (no reason why it wouldn't, given they'll probably still be using Blu-Ray) to maybe catch up on some of the PS exclusives I've missed this gen.

Depending on funds, I'd also be really interested in a Steam box as well.

Oh, and don't forget the OUYA! I'm actually looking forward to getting that in a few months and tinkering around with it.

If as reported the PS4 really is going back to an based x86 CPU, there probably more chance of it being able to play 360 games than PS3 ones. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,640 ✭✭✭Pushtrak

Varik wrote: »
    The new xbox is meant to have a large amount of memory dedicated to the OS and from the fear mill it's filled with kinect and bing.
    I really can't see 3 GB going to the OS. 1 GB, yeah, I can see that. 1.5 GB tops. Anything beyond that is crazy.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,009 Mod ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

Varik wrote: »
    The PS3 could play DVDs that didn't mean it could play PS2 games, the PS2 and the PS3 are very different beast for each other and any PS4.

The PS4 would likely require additional hardware (part of an actual PS3) to play any PS3 games.
    marco_polo wrote: »
    If as reported the PS4 really is going back to an based x86 CPU, there probably more chance of it being able to play 360 games than PS3 ones. :pac:

Fair enough. I suck at hardware stuff. :o:(

• Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

Perfect timing for the thread...

Digital Foundry: Next-gen Xbox specs leak

• Advertisement

gizmo wrote: »
    Perfect timing for the thread...

Digital Foundry: Next-gen Xbox specs leak
    Comment 2 from that nails it...
    First up, let's deal with the elements of the spec we definitely know to be true

Which, until the thing is actually on sale, is none of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭franman

Pushtrak wrote: »
    Comment 2 from that nails it...

I'm sure there are plenty of people outside of Sony and Microsoft that know exactly what the specs are

franman wrote: »
    I'm sure there are plenty of people outside of Sony and Microsoft that know exactly what the specs are
    That there are people who know does not suggest that we can know that we know.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,015 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Richard Leadbetter isn't one to give out rumours and call them facts. He's in contact with the tech teams in a lot of big developers who would know the specs. He's the best person in the business for this kind of analysis so I'd pay attention to what he says are facts and what he says are rumours that sound very plausible.

One of the comments at Eurogamer pointed out that Sony said the PS3 would have 1.8 Tflops back in the day. They backed it up with a link.
    http://ie.ign.com/articles/2005/05/16/e3-2005-ps3-tech-specs-2

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,005 ✭✭✭Wossack

Zillah wrote: »
    From what I've read Shadow of the Colossus is probably the only console game from the last decade that I really wish I could have played.

So no, I think I'll be sticking with PC gaming for now.

can play it emulated on the PC :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 290 ✭✭Atomicjuicer

Sony:

Don't want a net camera in my sitting room (kinect)
    Their dashboards tend to be slicker (singstar ad debacle aside)
    I've a vita
    I've more digital purchases on PSN
    Stuff I use isn't hidden under crap I'll never be interested in
    Free multiplayer network
    Prefer Sony controllers

That said, if Nintendo get the finger out (and they might come e3) by announcing a new Metroid game then ill go the wii u route.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

mm, depends, definitely wouldn't be getting either at launch, the last launch day console I bought was the gamecube.

I've had both ps3 and xbox, got rid of the xbox recently because it was gathering dust, didnt want to spend money on a new live sub, I mostly play COD online on ps3 and its free so that's grand.

For my money, they're both great consoles, live is a slightly better online experience than psn, but when you dont play with a big group of friends or care about chat they're mostly the same. the ps3 is much better media hub though, interface is better, faster and you dont have to pay to use what should be free stuff like netflix, pity sky go isnt on it though.

What Sony did get right though, was the extra stuff you had to buy with the early xboxes, pads that charged straight out of the box, built in wifi, hdmi output etc etc. the early xboxes didn't have those as standard, the wifi routers are still crazy money, like 80 quid or something? fcuk that noise. And imo better exclusives.

Be an interesting e3 this year anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,575 ✭✭✭NTMK

franman wrote: »

devs wont have a clue on the exact specs until about 6 months before release MS changed their specs 4/5months before release of the 360

the current specs are ballpark specs devs have to work with. a few months back Durango was intel/nvidia now its AMD gpu confirmed (AMD secured console exclusivity rights for all 3 NGC's gpus)

I'll probably go PS4 for the sole reason of Japanese Dev games as they rarely get ported to pc but that won't be at launch

and theres little hope of backwards compatibility without the cell so i cant wait for all the HD remakes now in HD :rolleyes:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,015 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

One of the comments at Eurogamer pointed out that Sony said the PS3 would have 1.8 Tflops back in the day. They backed it up with a link.
    http://ie.ign.com/articles/2005/05/16/e3-2005-ps3-tech-specs-2

When have Sony not lied about their specs and produced numbers from theoretical simulations? According to Sony's specs for the PS2 it could output more than 20 times as many polygons as the Gamecube. The gamecube trounced the PS2 in that area but Sony presented theoretical conditions while Nintendo's specs were based on actual tests.

Also the PS1 apparently had better graphics than Jurassic Park.

It's more Sony keeping with tradition :)

Good point NTMK, forgot about dev kits. Also, you reckon PS4 will be region free like the PS3? Well, the 360 is, but the games themselves can be region locked. Something many, indeed most, devs did.

Edit: I'm just pointing out it is strange that the specs that are being announced for next gen are so attuned to those that were said to have been the case of this gen. It raises question marks about the validity of the claims about the specs that we are seeing for the next gen. They could be right, yeah, but best to wait for official information.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,291 Mod ✭✭✭✭F1ngers

NTMK wrote: »
    and theres little hope of backwards compatibility without the cell so i cant wait for all the HD remakes now in HD :rolleyes:

It will be 4K remakes of current HD games. :p

F1ngers wrote: »
    It will be 4K remakes of current HD games. :p
    Heck, I wouldn't object to, say BioShock 4K. I'm sure there are others that I'd buy again if they were done right.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,575 ✭✭✭NTMK

Good point NTMK, forgot about dev kits. Also, you reckon PS4 will be region free like the PS3? Well, the 360 is, but the games themselves can be region locked. Something many, indeed most, devs did.

I honestly dont know. i hope its region free but the way sony are locking down their consoles i'm kinda worried.

i never understood why devs lock down games that they have no intention to releasing in other regions

With the amount of video RAM those consoles have or lack thereof they won't be doing 4K games any time soon.

• Advertisement

NTMK wrote: »
    I honestly dont know. i hope its region free but the way sony are locking down their consoles i'm kinda worried.

i never understood why devs lock down games that they have no intention to releasing in other regions
    Small publishers can get rights to release a game on a regional basis instead of having to get it for all at more expense. That was one thing I saw when I googled it. Take a look, and you'll see some other reasons.
    Retr0gamer wrote: »
    With the amount of video RAM those consoles have or lack thereof they won't be doing 4K games any time soon.
    Yeah, but a guy can dream.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭Q_Ball

Looking like the steam box in a year or two. If I do get a new console, it'll depend on the live/psn offering. Not going with an Xbox if they go with the same subscription model, psn looks to offer better value

• Registered Users Posts: 866 ✭✭✭LuckyFinigan

For me its all down to the exclusives so it'll most likely be Sony, if they can keep up the standard of exclusives they had this generation, I'll be happy. Microsoft's exclusives never did anything for me so I'm not overly interested in the next Xbox. Saying that tho, all this talk of Sony blocking used games has me a little worried, if they do go ahead with that idea the ps4 will be a complete disaster. But all that remains to be seen, hopefully the keep PlayStation plus or even expand it in some way.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

The PS3 was more than likely the last console i buy at launch. Since i got it in 2007 ive gotten into pc gaming and build my own. The new consoles wont compete with the graphical power i can put in a pc case or match the resolutions i can get on a new monitor. Ive no interest in going backwards.

I love the PS3 for netflix and blurays. If theres an unmissable exclusive like a gta or a red dead, i have it for those too. So somewhere down the line i'll probably get a PS4 when its discounted a lot. Sony build solid reliable machines that have useful new tech and functionality.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,909 ✭✭✭sarumite

I won't be owning a 4k TV anytime soon either ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭MikeCork2009

I have had a Sega Megadrive, PS1, PS2, PSP and PS3. I will probably get a PS4 but, as said by many above, I won't be buying at launch. I think the PS3 has alot of life in it yet and ain't too pushed about next gen yet. Will see what it does and then decide.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

Look at what the consoles have now and they do 720p. Very few are in 1080p even on the PS3 only a handful of games are 1080p native. Find me a PC with 512Mb of RAM, shared between the system and graphics that will play a game at 1080p.

In console games they just skimp on the details and textures so they ramp up the screen resolution. Crysis 2 being a good case. The game looks very average when you examine a textures up close but looks good in general. I reckon the PS4 will do the same to get near 4k.

PC games will always look better and have way more detail and higher draw distances but game developers do very well at scaling games for the consoles to get high resolutions and decent enough frame rates while skimping in other areas.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

. I think the PS3 has alot of life in it yet and ain't too pushed about next gen yet. Will see what it does and then decide.

The PS3 is seven this year, the PS2 was more or less dead at that stage, all big releases were going to the PS3. The 360 and PS3 don't have many more big hitters coming to them. There is probably about 10 AAA titles left for this generation. GTA5, The Last of Us, BioShock 3 etc.

This next generation is very late starting if you actually look back at the PS1,N64,Saturn,Dreamcast,PS2,GC,Xbox. The PS2 was 6 when the PS3 came out. Some of the PS2s best games came out in 2004-5 when it peaked.

For me the next generation can't come soon enough but they can leave all that 3D,VR,Kinect,Touch screen stuff behind. Just want more power for bigger games like Fallout 4 and the next Elderscrolls. Better physics and more uses of accurate bullet penetration in shooters, and no more clown cupboards in games with enemies spawning out of one area or out of no where, that's a big problem with games in this generation that pisses me off no end.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,163 ✭✭✭Beefy78

I think PS+ could be a bigger factor than people give it credit for. Initially I'd thought that I'd buy the new PS4 at launch. Now I think I'll probably wait for a while as I've got so many PS3 games to play that I want to get some value out of.

But if Sony start pushing PS4 content onto PS+ the way they are with Vita currently then I think you'll see a lot of PS3 owners moving over thinking they're getting a deal. And if you are a PS3 owner deciding which next gen machine to go for do you go for the one which you've already got a fair bit of content that's been given to you for 'free' or the one that you don't?

PS+ was such a devilishly good idea on someone at Sony's part.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 280 ✭✭Yousef

How to choose between MS and Sonys new consoles?

Easy.

You don't.

Go and buy the Steambox.

Advertisement