Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How will you choose between MS & Sony's new consoles?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

sheehy83 wrote: »
    I would have said ps 4 but recent news of sony dropping the dualshock controller in favour of a more motion orientated controller is very worrying. I hate the 360 joypad and if sony does bring in the whole ' no second hand games' thing then I will probably get the steam box.

You know there are no second hand games on steam this is the way it's been for 9 years now. Steam practically pioneered this system.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭murphyebass

Halo and Gears of War will most likely be my reason for going with xbox again this time round.
    Although it'll be at least a year after launch.
    I have plenty to keep me going until then between the current gen xbox, Playstation 2 and newly acquired N64.
    My 2013 purchase at some point will be a Mega Drive when I get a decent deal on one.
    I agree with other posters when I say I miss Sega. Wouldn't it be cool if they came out of nowhere and released a system just before the other two!

• Registered Users Posts: 20,830 ✭✭✭✭Taltos

Not sure to be honest.
    Got the PS3 on the day of release. However still feel let down by dropping of backwards compatibility forcing me to get a 2nd hand PS2 once the FAT model bricked it. I do prefer the free online gaming and just adore PS+ - I have picked up so many free games in the last while I have quite a backlog.
    Also have a 360 - prefer the controller but apart from Borderlanders 2 have not played with it in a while.

Right now my gut is telling me to wait for prices to lower and for the inevitable bugs to be ironed out - for some reason manufacturers think it is OK to push out sub-standard products in their desire to hit their release dates - been bitten too many times now I think so might wait a while. Although that is what I promised the last time too. Guess it is going to be ruled by spare cash but leaning to the PS4/Orbis/whatever.

Keeping an open mind though.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

I've switched back and forth between consoles and PC. Console first, then switched to PC in 2002 before switching to console in 2005. By 2007 I was fed up with the console again and switched back to PC. Haven't looked back since. I don't see myself dedicated to a console in the future either.

I still have the consoles from this generation, but they're all gathering dust.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭BizzyC

XBox.
    I do most of my gaming on my laptop these days, but there are some games that are just better on a console.
    Also, when it comes to the console exclusive games, I much prefer the Xbox range to the Sony ones.

Having said that, I wont be buying on launch.
    It'll take a while for them to build up enough games I'm interested in before I make the plunge.

It's probably more likely that I'll buy a WiiU in the mean time, once there's a few more good Nintendo exclusive titles available.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,271 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Steambox if anything currently; I had a Xbox (bought late in the last generation to try Halo) but I was never impressed and I'm unlikely to pick up another console now as I've got a new top of the line PC with multiple games lined up on it. If I do get a console it will be a year or three after they go live and based on one or two games (possibly exlusives) that I want to play.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,085 ✭✭✭meoklmrk91

I currently have both the 360 and the PS3, got the 360 first and loved it and probably would never have gotten the PS3 except that I got it as part of a bundle with a TV a friend was selling, then came the uncharted series,m possibly my favourite series ever. Naughty dogs has my loyalty.

I will not be buying at launch will be waiting for prices to come way down before I buy, I will probably get the PS4 first but more than likely end up having both.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,238 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

I'll stick with the PS, unless it's a massive flop somehow. Exclusives don't bother me too much, both will have good ones.
    But as a few people said, definitely wont be buying at launch. I'll wait a year anyway. With playstation plus I have about 5 full games I never even opened yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,783 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

It looks like the Xbox will hit first so I'll get that on release and as long as there is at least a month between Sony releasing theirs and I can save up I'll be getting both day 1.

I'll also get a steam box and prob upgrade the pc to catch up to the consoles with next years graphics card.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,340 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Is the Steambox a confirmed real thing? I've never used Steam (only have laptop at home and no desk or anything so PC gaming is pretty much out of the question for me). Would a console of it just be essentially like PSN (download games, play them, occasional deals on other games)?

As it stands, I'd probably get both new Sony & MS consoles, but if the Steambox thing was appealing enough, I might go with it over the next Xbox.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭penev10

I won't be buying any new consoles this year. I'm about a year behind with current gen releases so will happily play them (at knockdown prices too :D)

I never get consoles at launch anyhow, I usually wait until the software line-up improves and the price drops.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,856 ✭✭✭Clover

Bought the 360,ps3 and wii at launch but I'm going for a new game pc build for my birthday this year. so I may not even bother with a next gen console at launch.

Will decide when more information is available and we know the specs and launch games.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,922 ✭✭✭hooradiation

After the clusterfuck that was the PS3, probably going to lean towards the new MS console.

plus I'll need something to replace my pos, ageing PC and sticking with what has been the lead platform this generation seems like a good idea.

After the clusterfuck that was the PS3, probably going to lean towards the new MS console.

plus I'll need something to replace my pos, ageing PC and sticking with what has been the lead platform this generation seems like a good idea.

What PS3 clusterf*ck? :confused:

I must have missed that while I was replacing my RROD 360 :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,721 ✭✭✭Otacon

Far too early to tell. For me, it will depend on a number of factors:

1. Price [I don't mind paying more for a console if the other factors make it significantly better than the competitor]
    2. Exclusives [This gen, after a slow start, Sony won this IMO so that is likely to continue]
    3. Online functionality and price [if I need to buy Xbox Live Gold to play online, they can f#ck off]
    4. Features [The X Factor basically. Illumiroom looks phenominal but Sony may also have a trick up its sleeve]

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

Price will be the determining factor for me. But I won't be looking to get them at launch, or for a fair while after that. Depending on specs, Sony may be the priority. XBOX depends on games released for it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭Richard Dower

noodler wrote: »
    I'll be sticking with the PS3 for at least one year after PS4 comes out - probably longer to be honest.

I won't be an early adopter of any new console, the price and quality will improve as will the games collection.

Plenty of stuff this gen to keep me occupied.

Same here, i will wait until the firmware/sfotware gets stable. There will no doubt be numerous bugs and numerous firmware updates. Plus new features will be added later...and most importantly i predict there will be a hardware upgrade as well.

CPU/GPU getting a die shrink, lower power consumption, seeing any RROD or YLOD issues crop up, i think you should wait at leasta year.

Penn wrote: »
    What PS3 clusterf*ck? :confused:

Well, I certainly never saw anything worth buying the fucking thing for.

But hey, if you need to feel better about the console you've bought, you have my permission to list a lot of games you like at me.
    It won't change anything, but you might feel better.

Well, I certainly never saw anything worth buying the fucking thing for.

But hey, if you need to feel better about the console you've bought, you have my permission to list a lot of games you like at me.
    It won't change anything, but you might feel better.

No, I was just genuinely curious at what you were referring to. Each to their own. I just couldn't think of anything which had happened with the PS3 (apart from when PSN was hacked) which could have been labelled a clusterf*ck. If anything (and like I alluded to), the number of 360s which RROD'ed was the biggest clusterf*ck of this generation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,184 ✭✭✭Patsy fyre

Will be the xbox for me. Love the 360 and halo 4. Hopefully they will have the skygo app again as thats what gets the most use :-)

• Advertisement

No, I was just genuinely curious at what you were referring to. Each to their own. I just couldn't think of anything which had happened with the PS3 (apart from when PSN was hacked) which could have been labelled a clusterf*ck. If anything (and like I alluded to), the number of 360s which RROD'ed was the biggest clusterf*ck of this generation.

Honestly, the shitty system architecture didn't endear it to me in any way shape or form, that plus the PSN hacking and the vita dying on it's arse makes me wonder if Sony actually have any idea what they're doing any more.

I suspect not.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,197 ✭✭✭maximoose

Same as this gen, I'd imagine I'll pick up the new Xbox around launch and then eventually get the PS a bit further down the line when the price drops.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

From what I've read Shadow of the Colossus is probably the only console game from the last decade that I really wish I could have played.

So no, I think I'll be sticking with PC gaming for now.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,002 ✭✭✭Wossack

hold out till version 2 of the next gens (to try and avoid the inevitable initial hardware issues), and see what the line up is at that stage

• Registered Users Posts: 6 DPayneZero

Wasn't a fan of the PS3 - although I do love LittleBigPlanet I'm definitely an Xbox gamer and will continue to be in the next gen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

the number of 360s which RROD'ed was the biggest clusterf*ck of this generation.

The RROD in 360's may have been more common, but the YLOD of the PS3 certainly happened in no small numbers either. Have to agree with hooradiation there about the PS3 launch, it was abysmal in terms of a games line up.

Personally I'll be giving both a wide berth for a while, I want to see that both manufacturers actually know how to build a system that lasts more than 2 years. And if current trends continue, it'll be a year or so after launch by the time there's any reason to actually own one.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,239 ✭✭✭Elessar

I have both the xbox 360 and PS3. The xbox was my games machine of choice until I got the RROD just this week. PS3 I only used for exclusives (Uncharted and Heavy Rain).

After much deliberation, I've just forked out €1400 on a gaming PC, the components of which are in transit to me right now :D

I've been away from PC gaming for too long, and with the wealth of titles coming out this year, I couldn't resist. I'll be able to play everything at max settings with the rig I got (hopefully). Add to that I can play multiplayer too, since the xbox was always offline. Co-Op Aliens: Colonial Marines here I come! I might consider the new xbox and Playstation down the line, for the exclusives.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

One of the reasons I might completely skip on MS box, because of the Xbox live subscription.
    I don't care it's better online experience or it became cheap. I just don't want subscription, which I barely use at all.
    One of the reasons Xbox is not being touched at all these days is due to subscription bull****. Now and then I get a big to go and play some forza 4 or cod for shots and giggles and then I remember: oh, no online for you buddy. No Xbox live gold...

I won't buy subscription for one or two hours of play and then to be abbondoned for 5 months again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

One of the reasons I might completely skip on MS box, because of the Xbox live subscription.
    I don't care it's better online experience or it became cheap. I just don't want subscription, which I barely use at all.
    One of the reasons Xbox is not being touched at all these days is due to subscription bull****. Now and then I get a big to go and play some forza 4 or cod for shots and giggles and then I remember: oh, no online for you buddy. No Xbox live gold...

I won't buy subscription for one or two hours of play and then to be abbondoned for 5 months again.

Well if you don't use it online much, whats the problem with not subscribing? Something you barely ever use can hardly be a deciding purchasing factor for you surely?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,851 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

I intend on getting both (and the WiiU at some stage). Being a console gamer for over 18 years has ingrained that into me. I will probably get both on lauch too, but only for the reason of "I WANTZ ITZZZ!

However, when i order the PC on Thursday, i've a feeling my views might change when, by April, i will probably have more games than i know what to do with!

Even if i do become a member of the PC Gaming Master Race, i still think i'll be picking up the PS4, if only for the exclusives. I needs me more God of War, and i'll be very interested in seeing what the PS4 will bring to the series. But, if they do ditch the Dual Shock, it would be a huge put-off factor.

Advertisement