Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How will you choose between MS & Sony's new consoles?

Options
1106107108109110112»

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,927 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Xenji wrote: »
    Capcom are working with SCEJ on the game, so I doubt you will see a game that Sony is helping create and fund coming out on the Xbone.

Don't be too sure, Dark Souls uses the Sony developed Phyre engine. It might well end up exclusive but I just can't see Capcom not going multiplatform.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,511 ✭✭✭✭Varik

So people have had a look through the uploaded versions of GTA V (360 specifically) and they're reference to both a PC and PS4 version on the game in some of the config files but no mention of the ONE.

I've gotten the game on PS3 but might get it again for PS4, I doubt my 75% code from R* will work but who knows.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,927 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Pretty sure once the PC version is finished it will be ported to the new consoles. They'd be mad not to considering they are x86 based.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,660 ✭✭✭COYVB

Varik wrote: »
    I doubt my 75% code from R* will work but who knows.

You only get a discount if you buy the games digitally. Physical copies don't qualify

COYVB wrote: »
    You only get a discount if you buy the games digitally. Physical copies don't qualify

Which I did.

It's 33% downloaded now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,640 ✭✭✭Pushtrak

Xenji wrote: »
    For people who play mostly RPG's, Deep Down will be a PS4 exclusive, it will not be a timed one either and will not be coming to the Xbone, actually would assume people who play mostly RPG's like myself would be getting a PS4 anyway, the 360 was terrible when it came to them, it only had Blue Dragon and Lost Odyssey as exclusives.

http://ie.ign.com/articles/2013/09/09/deep-down-is-a-playstation-4-exclusive
    To get the most out of a console generation, you need to own all the consoles. There have been great JRPGs on all three. The primary one I'm thinking about the Wii is Xenoblade Chronicles. On the 360, there is also Tales of Vesperia. Yeah, that got a Japan PS3 release, but for people with rusty Japanese, that isn't really an option even if you can import it. Vesperia and Lost Odyssey are two brilliant JRPGs.

EA is releasing their games before the launches of each console.

The PS4 is out the 15th in the US and the games from EA are out the 12th, the EU is on the day.
    The One will be out on the 22nd and the games are out in the US and EU on the 19th and 21st respectively.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,268 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

Right, I'll be going to an Xbox One hands on later tonight, so will report what it's like later/tomorrow.

If there's a chance for a few questions, I'll ask, so if there's a burning question you want answered, post below.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,268 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

Just got back in afterwards, the event I was at was organised by the guardian, and was in their coffee shop in Shoreditch boxpark. Around 30 people were invited to this event, and it had about 4 Microsoft people there as well.

The controller is almost exactly the same size, but getting it into your hands for the first time, it does feel strange, it's like the two prongs are slightly longer, so it feel different in your palms. The trigger buttons are now curved along the horizontal, making them both wider and easier to press. It also gives more surface area for the rumble, which is itself very good. The thumb sticks have a more pronounced lip, so for me it seemed easier to get grip. All in all, I can see it being better than the 360 controller.

The console is big, but not as big as people would think. When the console was up on the pedestal for pictures, it looked big, but once it was under a tv, it didn't catch my eye at all. That's my standard for whether something is big or not. I didn't hear any of the consoles, even when my ear was within a foot of it. It was a relatively noisy room though, and the disk drive wasn't in use at all. I put my hand on top of it and the heat was pretty warm, but I'd expect a console that was on since the early afternoon(someone asked) to be warmer.

The Kinect wasn't used or demonstrated at all, so all I can tell you is the impressions of the size, and I did think it was large. I didn't pick it up, but it looked a little larger than the current Kinect. Then again, I haven't really looked at my Kinect in ages either.

The first game I tried was Forza, one track, one lap, five cars. I tried all five cars, which were a mix of old, new, and supercars. The game looks fantastic, both exterior and interiors are like sitting in the car, and every thing is butter smooth as well. The only pop up visible is in the on screen mirrors. The game isn't really my cup of tea, I'm more of an arcade racer to be honest, but in fairness, playing it like burnout did result in a fair bit of car damage. The rumble in the controllers on this was fantastic, and was definitely something that got you thinking "why didn't anyone think of this before?". It gave me instant feedback on whether I was getting wheel spin or the ABS had kicked in.

The next game I tried was Killer Instinct, which again, isn't my cup of tea, I just don't really click with them. I had a few games of that, which was two player, and it was quite fun. I employed the age old tactic of mashing buttons, which seemed to work out well for me. There was two stages, with four characters to choose from. I tried them all out, and was quite impressed with it. No rumble on this.

The final game, Ryse, was not working unfortunately, which was the only game I really wanted to test out. Hadn't really followed it at all, but because it's more my type of game, it's the one I wanted to check out. I asked why it wasn't work, and they said that the version on the consoles is constantly updated from the Crytek servers, and the most recent update broken the game. I'd be inclined to believe her on this one, as someone did go into the game, and took a look around, it seemed more like a finished game than the other two, i.e. there was menu screens, level select, multiplayer options. Eventually one of the Microsoft people put him back into Forza.

At times, I pressed the Xbox Guide button, and it popped right back out to the menu. Felt faster than the 360 for moving around. It was also clear that this was a work in progress. A lot of the icons had "Coming soon" as their name. If you went somewhere unexpected, there was a chance that the console would crash, and reset. I think I saw one game crash, and it was all handled by the OS brilliantly. The Xbox just went back to the OS, and continued on, no reset required.

All in all, I was impressed by my hands on, and will be looking forward to seeing more.

Also, the brownies in the guardiancoffee are lovely! Staff also seemed really nice, both the Guardian and Microsoft staff.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,122 ✭✭✭BeerWolf

I've been a fan of the 360 since it first came out, but with the whole fiasco of the XB1's revelation a few months back I had my doubts and instead was planning to get the PS4.

That plan has changed again when I've had some faith restored with Microsoft [affectionately known to some as M$ ] - granted, they may be greedy... but I've always found Xbox Live to be of sound quality.

I plan to get the PS4 down the road though!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,640 ✭✭✭Pushtrak

I plan on getting both down the road. Neither really does enough at launch to justify jumping in right away. Also, buyer beware from hardware issues of last gen makes a more cautious approach sensible.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Well, just threw a few more quid and got my PS4 completely payed off. with another 20eu on 2 games and a controller. 420eu in total. I have now over 2 months to pay off the rest.

Happy days!!! Now lets play some GTA 5!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,112 ✭✭✭Danonino.

Im finding the choice pretty easy this time around. The xbox one is reminding me of everything I didnt like about the xbox (first one) true the 360 was a fantastic machine ignoring the fact I went through three of the things rroding on me but if the PS3 had been comparably priced at launch and didn't have the technical hurdles the Cell processor had it would have been a VERY different story.

If I was looking for a media hub I'd look more at the one but I have UPC, PC, Phone etc etc to do that so its the PS4 for me. I want a console that's games focused and I'm on a budget (I know 400 quid to slap on a console isn't really budgeting lol) I honestly don't see why I should fork out the extra funds for the Xone other than the 360 turned out to be a great purchase. Most people who are visiting the games section on boards will end up with all systems at some point anyway.

Be interesting how this all plays out, but ITS A GOOD THING Microsoft dropped the ball, will filter down to better options/deals/games for each system as they try bridge the gap and Sony try go for the kill. If Xone had released with similar specs and business plan Microsoft would have grabbed that Market monopoly and we the end customer would have been rightly shafted from policies right down to prices.

Now if the damn WiiU would drop in price and grab some killer titles... heaven.

Edit: came across a bit like XOne bashing, that wasn't intentional. Thankfully the housemate has his ordered and payed off.. best of both worlds incoming :D

Advertisement