Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How will you choose between MS & Sony's new consoles?

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,971 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

I thought the EU issued a ruling saying that you can't stop people selling games. Surely MS and Sony can't block them in the new generation of consoles.
    In any case, it's going to be a PC for me anyway.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 514 ✭✭✭RUSTEDCORE

Im a gears of war player so if a new gears comes out on new xbox I would buy it....dont want a ps4 would only use it to play ps1 final fantasy games.

I definitely wont buy either until they sort out the launch model hardware failures

• Registered Users Posts: 17,799 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Klair88 wrote: »
    Not if Sony and Microsoft come up with a way to enforce it, somehow. Its something i dont like in games nowadays ever since i worked in gamestop for awhile. The only games i buy from gamestop are EA titles and Collecters edition sets and if i do buy any game, i make sure its brand new. Extra fiver or tenner doesnt matter to me if i know it goes to a Dev from the game and not a Suit from Gamestop.

Just me personally!

Theres no way for sony or microsoft to enforce game prices, it has nothing to do with them its down to the developers and publishers to sell the games to the stores and the stores to then set their prices

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,015 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I thought the EU issued a ruling saying that you can't stop people selling games. Surely MS and Sony can't block them in the new generation of consoles.
    In any case, it's going to be a PC for me anyway.

This is true but it doesn't mean anything until it's tested in a court of law. There's a German lawsuit against Valve at the moment so hopefully we will have a verdict soon:

http://uk.gamespot.com/news/german-group-sues-valve-6403307

• Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    This is true but it doesn't mean anything until it's tested in a court of law. There's a German lawsuit against Valve at the moment so hopefully we will have a verdict soon:

http://uk.gamespot.com/news/german-group-sues-valve-6403307
    Oh, I meant to update that thread with this: Consumer group targets Valve's digital resale policies.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

That article looks like someone just took all the current rumours, put zero amount of thought into them, and randomly mushed them together to form some new "news".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

My plan for the next gen consoles is - buy a PS4, see if there's anything on the next box worth getting, probably won't bother after this gen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,447 ✭✭✭richymcdermott

• Registered Users Posts: 5,732 ✭✭✭Magill

The whole online resale thing is ridiculous tbh, any right minded PC gamer can see how devastating something like that would be to PC gaming.

As for which console i'll get first... it'll depend on the games really and what the ole bank account will allow. Probably wait 6 months or so and see then which looks the most promising in terms of non-pc exclusives. More than likely i'll end up getting a wii u before either tho, as soon as a new zelda + 3d Mario game are released anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

I really love the sound of the " Playstation is more preferable platform to work on". they learned they lesson with PS3.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 68 ✭✭andymurphy93

more then likely xbox
    but il give it time until i see which one really stands out to me

• Registered Users Posts: 645 ✭✭✭altairscreed

I was counting the days until the ps4 came out then at Christmas I was surprised with a pc my brother in-law built for me I cant even look at my ps3 anymore the pc is just so much better and games are way cheaper too.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,721 ✭✭✭Otacon

I was counting the days until the ps4 came out then at Christmas I was surprised with a pc my brother in-law built for me I cant even look at my ps3 anymore the pc is just so much better and games are way cheaper too.

I recently got a new PC myself. Haven't been a PC gamer since college. However, this has actually meant that unless something unbelievable gets announced for the next XBox, I won't be getting one.

A lot of XBox exclusives end up on PC, unlike Playstation exclusives, meaning there is one less reason to pick one up.

If I end up getting more than one console in the next two years, it will probably be the Wii U.

Otacon wrote: »
    I recently got a new PC myself. Haven't been a PC gamer since college. However, this has actually meant that unless something unbelievable gets announced for the next XBox, I won't be getting one.

A lot of XBox exclusives end up on PC, unlike Playstation exclusives, meaning there is one less reason to pick one up.

If I end up getting more than one console in the next two years, it will probably be the Wii U.

I was actually planning on getting a wii u for my son before christmas but after hearing some bad reviews especially regarding the huge update they had at launch I decided to cancel the pre-order (a lot of peoples wii u's were destroyed if the update didn't instal correctly from what I read).

I think even if they did announce something really big id rather spend the money on upgrading my pc because a high end pc will still be more powerful than the Ps4 and X-box at launch, also id say prices for new games will be crazy.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,640 ✭✭✭Pushtrak

I was actually planning on getting a wii u for my son before christmas but after hearing some bad reviews especially regarding the huge update they had at launch I decided to cancel the pre-order (a lot of peoples wii u's were destroyed if the update didn't instal correctly from what I read).
    I hadn't heard anything about that, or seen people post anywhere about their broken Wii U. Looked it up. It was if you shut down the Wii U, unplugging it in the middle of an update, that there were problems. I've always figured that wasn't the best for any of the consoles. A better reason not to buy the Wii U is a lack of great games at the moment, not that.

Pushtrak wrote: »
    I hadn't heard anything about that, or seen people post anywhere about their broken Wii U. Looked it up. It was if you shut down the Wii U, unplugging it in the middle of an update, that there were problems. I've always figured that wasn't the best for any of the consoles. A better reason not to buy the Wii U is a lack of great games at the moment, not that.

I said that was the reason why I didn't get it I wasn't suggesting other people should not buy it.

Yes your right it was if someone turned of the power or had a power surge or anything like that but the fact that at launch it had a 4 or 5gb update which if your Internets like mine it would probably take you a full day to download, I wasn't willing to risk it, also if you had an 8gb machine and the update was that size your then left with less than half of the memory you should have had which is ridiculous.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,920 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

I said that was the reason why I didn't get it I wasn't suggesting other people should not buy it.

Yes your right it was if someone turned of the power or had a power surge or anything like that but the fact that at launch it had a 4 or 5gb update which if your Internets like mine it would probably take you a full day to download, I wasn't willing to risk it, also if you had an 8gb machine and the update was that size your then left with less than half of the memory you should have had which is ridiculous.

I remember reading the 8GB machines still had the same space left afterwards as it had before. This was one thing that was checked using before and after screenshots. It seems there's space allocated to the OS and won't go over to the user's space. And it was announced from March or April, all shipped consoles will have the update preinstalled.

I do plan on getting the Wii U in the future and probably PS4. Like I've said, it depends on exclusives and also I suppose see how multiplatform games play on my PC

CastorTroy wrote: »
    I remember reading the 8GB machines still had the same space left afterwards as it had before. This was one thing that was checked using before and after screenshots. It seems there's space allocated to the OS and won't go over to the user's space. And it was announced from March or April, all shipped consoles will have the update preinstalled.

I do plan on getting the Wii U in the future and probably PS4. Like I've said, it depends on exclusives and also I suppose see how multiplatform games play on my PC

My bad I just assumed it would have taking away from the consoles memory, its good to hear there releasing them with the updates soon too.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,732 ✭✭✭Magill

One thing, with the next gen supposely being more alike PC architecture. You think it'll mean less of the console exclusive games that we've seen this year, like with red dead redemption etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,920 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Magill wrote: »
    One thing, with the next gen supposely being more alike PC architecture. You think it'll mean less of the console exclusive games that we've seen this year, like with red dead redemption etc.

You mean will they also port to PC? was there a reason given for that not happening for Red Dead?

I remember reading the reason Gears of War 2 never got ported to PC, even though Gears 1 was, was due to fear of piracy. So this may be a reason for some games staying on console only.

Then there are games from companies like Platinum Games which aren't ported, but I just assumed this was due to them being Japanese and PC gaming not being as big there. Or is it big there?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

Am I the only one who see's people saying "I'm damned if I'm going to pay full price for a game" as a fundamentally terrible mindset? Games cost a metric fk ton of money to make, the price is far from extortionate. It's been more or less the same price for consumers for years and the development costs have sky-rocketed so that a lot more product has to be shifted. The retailers who sell second hand games are the only ones who benefit from it, consumers certainly don't in the long run.

If you €50 is only going to buy you one game and not 2 second hand ones, then you have to make sure that what you do buy is a good one. This means smarter consumers who are less likely to want to be shovel-fed mediocrity and either the closure of more publishers and/or better bang for buck with games.

Second hand game sales are genuinely damaging game studios because they're taking away from the publishers who in turn have to mitigate their losses by only backing "sure fire" hits and that is why we get a new EA Sports and <insert modern military shooter of choice here> game every year and damn all "new" games.

The only real consistent innovation and risk taking happens in the indie gaming space on PC where the publisher and bricks n mortar sales and distribution models are completely bypassed and you can be sure that Sony and Microsoft know that, but can't snub the big name publishers and developers who invest millions in licencing their hardware.

Anyway, economics of game production and development cycle aside - the answer to the question of "which console should you buy" remains the same as it always has - buy the same one as your friends so that you can play with them and swap games with them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,997 ✭✭✭Grimebox

I most definitely won't be getting either but if I had to, PS4 pips it for me purely based on the XBOX-Live fee. It's crazy to think that MS are getting away with it when Sony don't ask for anything

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,660 ✭✭✭COYVB

Shiminay wrote: »
    development costs have sky-rocketed

That should come down ever so slightly in the next few years given the similarities between the two main next gen consoles

• Registered Users Posts: 7,409 ✭✭✭Icyseanfitz

All i hope for in the next gen is that this current ****ty model of cutting game content and making it into pre order dlc or just dlc dies, go back to the old pc way of just making expansion packs and fcuk money grubbing dlc....probably a hope in vain though :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,997 ✭✭✭Grimebox

All i hope for in the next gen is that this current ****ty model of cutting game content and making it into pre order dlc or just dlc dies, go back to the old pc way of just making expansion packs and fcuk money grubbing dlc....probably a hope in vain though :(

I actually don't think I've ever purchased a single "DLC". Tell them what you think with your wallet

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators Posts: 24,124 Mod ✭✭✭✭Angron

At least the pricing here isn't as bad as Australia. Those poor folks seem to get really shafted when it comes to games.

Shiminay wrote: »
    Am I the only one who see's people saying "I'm damned if I'm going to pay full price for a game" as a fundamentally terrible mindset? Games cost a metric fk ton of money to make, the price is far from extortionate. It's been more or less the same price for consumers for years and the development costs have sky-rocketed so that a lot more product has to be shifted. The retailers who sell second hand games are the only ones who benefit from it, consumers certainly don't in the long run.

If you €50 is only going to buy you one game and not 2 second hand ones, then you have to make sure that what you do buy is a good one. This means smarter consumers who are less likely to want to be shovel-fed mediocrity and either the closure of more publishers and/or better bang for buck with games.

Second hand game sales are genuinely damaging game studios because they're taking away from the publishers who in turn have to mitigate their losses by only backing "sure fire" hits and that is why we get a new EA Sports and <insert modern military shooter of choice here> game every year and damn all "new" games.

The reason I personally wont pay full price for a game anymore is that I can't afford too, saying that iv never bought a second hand game in my life either, id just rather get them in sales now.

I compleatly understand the cost and hard work that goes into game development but if I had to pay full price I couldn't justify it when im trying to pay a mortgage and provide for two kids.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 68 ✭✭andymurphy93

Denny M wrote: »
    At least the pricing here isn't as bad as Australia. Those poor folks seem to get really shafted when it comes to games.

yup
    their something like 70dollars standerd haha as well as nearly all games come out late over their as well

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators Posts: 24,124 Mod ✭✭✭✭Angron

yup
    their something like 70dollars standerd haha as well as nearly all games come out late over their as well

And it's not just that, their censorship is fairly mental too, with a bunch of games getting refused classification cause anything that would have been 18+ isn't allowed in games for some reason. They are easing up on that at last though, I think they're allowing games to be classified as such now.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,922 ✭✭✭hooradiation

Pretty much, the DLC genie is out of the bottle and it's never going back in.

Which is fine by me. DLC can be great and when it is it's well worth the price and when it's not. Well then, you don't buy it.

It's also severely misrepresented by people who have no idea how games are made, which doesn't help in the slightest, but that will always be the case.

Advertisement