Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How will you choose between MS & Sony's new consoles?

Options
  • 20-01-2013 10:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,433 ✭✭✭

If Sony and Microsoft release both of their new machines later this year how will you decided which machine to get? For the sake of discussion lets just say that they will be released this year.

Will it be brand loyalty? You've bought into the MS Live eco system or PSN and don't want to switch? Will it be the hardware specs of the machine or the launch line up of games? Will it be backwards compatibility? Price?

For me right now I have no idea which I would choose. In this current generation I bought all three (Wii, PS3, 360). I don't think brand loyalty will be a factor for me. In the end I will probably end up with both so I will just have to decide which one first. One important factor will be what Naughty Dog has lined up for the PS4 (or whatever they call it).

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 800 ✭✭✭a fat guy

I used to be all about brand loyalty and got a PS1, 2, 3 and a PSP, but this rumour about Sony and used games would definitely steer me in any other direction.

Most likely towards the WiiU, since I'm not much of a hardcore gamer anymore (I only ever play when other people are over and they want to play).

I've never been a fan of Microsoft at all, so I can't imagine that I'd ever get an Xbox of any kind. It's not that there's anything wrong with them, I'm just stuck in my old ways!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,065 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

Neither, I built a PC last year and stopped using my 360 and only use my PS3 for netflix, blu ray and the odd PS+ game. Console gaming can't compete with PC gaming.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

Neither, I built a PC last year and stopped using my 360 and only use my PS3 for netflix, blu ray and the odd PS+ game. Console gaming can't compete with PC gaming.

Same here. Haven't used my console once since I've built my PC, I'm unlikely to buy any of the next gen consoles either.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,579 ✭✭✭BopNiblets

Steam box (if I didn't already have a PC ;) )

• Registered Users Posts: 45,227 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

will likely go for the Xbox. Much prefer the Xbox 360 to the PS3, so I will likely still go that way.

Will probably change my mind a million times - depending on what games are coming out on each one, or what devs says regarding ease of developing for one or the other.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,303 ✭✭✭✭noodler

I'll be sticking with the PS3 for at least one year after PS4 comes out - probably longer to be honest.

I won't be an early adopter of any new console, the price and quality will improve as will the games collection.

Plenty of stuff this gen to keep me occupied.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,870 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

If I was getting one, I wouldn't be getting it until it's out a while. Then it will depend on exclusives, which is how I decided between PS3 and 360. Infamous, God of War and Uncharted won out over Gears of War and Halo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭danthefan

I won't be buying one at launch. I'll wait and see which one has exclusives that interest me the most and go with that. If neither have exclusives that interest me I'll stick with my PC.

Been reading NeoGAF there and some details have been leaked, they're going to be fairly close together in terms of power it seems.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,640 ✭✭✭Pushtrak

I'll be looking at what is said in terms of games. It may be a case I'll get both. I'd say I'll end up getting the next xbox first as it has impressed me with the exclusives this generation, so I'm thinking it'll be a repeat of that. Besides that, I have gotten to game with a fair few people on Xbox Live who I expect to make the transition so it'll be good to do so too. Even if I haven't been online in months, and still have many months before I'm back on again.

I got a PS3 late in the game. As in today. Yeah, that late in the game. It's all about the accumulation of games. I'll see what they do in terms of exclusives to get me over there.

Wii U, I love me some Zelda. Pretty sure I've seen other games that will make me want to get one at some point down the road. It's too early yet for getting one though.

So, I have the three systems of this gen, and may end up getting the three of next gen. I've a load of games still to play, and not nearly enough time to play them. I could really hold off getting any next gen system for quite a while. Take the Wii, I have The Last Story and Xenoblade to play. 360, I have Dishonored, Halo Anniversary, Halo 4, MGS HD collection and I'm sure quite a few more besides. PS3 there will still be Ni no Kuni, Tales of Xillia, Graces F, Heavy Rain, and I'm sure quite a few more besides. And no, I don't really have time to get to any of them. Too busy with course work.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,703 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Will probably switch to a Steam-box unless something mindblowing comes out on either system.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

I will hold my judgement until i see them in action. If it will be around 400-500eu for basic yoke and still low/mid range hardware, then i will just build myself steambox for living room, which will be my media centre too.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,750 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Unless theres some amazing exclusive titles i wont be bothering with either and just sticking to my PC, but if there is some good things ill most likely stick with xbox due to having so much stuff on my live account

• Registered Users Posts: 4,067 ✭✭✭Gunmonkey

Bit too early to tell, but like this gen will probably get both eventually. Really depends if any exclusives arrive I want, bought my 360 for Dead Rising and PS3 for Valkyria Chronicles and MGS4.

Also depends what level of connection with the current XBLA/PSN is like, will we be able to play any purchased games on them. How about older games, will the PS4 bother with full (or any) backwards compatibility to PS1/2/3 discs after Sony dropped PS2 play from the 2nd wave of PS3's?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,340 ✭✭✭✭Penn

I'm happy to admit I'm more of a PS fanboy so I'd be going for the PS4. I like the 360 but overall, I just prefer the PS3. So when it comes to the next gen, as most of my gaming is PS3-centered, I'd stick with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭Big Knox

I won't be that bothered by either at launch but I'm a sucker for gaming hardware of any kind. If I do decide to get one it will most likely be sonys attempt as exclusives seem to weigh heavily in playstations favour!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,515 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

Must question why microsoft isnt going the same route as "Steambox".

You would think out of all the manufacturers microsoft would be the only one with the power to Not only get good hardware but put a "windows lite" operating system on it and Launch games the same as console that are guarenteed to run, but also set it up to allow steam to run.......................... steam would have no way of stopping them as it would look like a PC to their service.

• Registered Users Posts: 784 ✭✭✭Klair88

I hate xbox so no matter how good the 720 is, ill probably never buy it. Never bought an 360 either. Sony fan boy and PC gamer so between the two i'm covered.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,648 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Xbox, purely for madden and halo

• Registered Users Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

I have a 360 and originally found the PS3 as too expensive but lately I have been fascinated with some exclusives I haven't got to play because they're on the PS3, Journey being on of the biggest ones. Also I don't really do FPS and it just seems that the 360 is more and more obsessed with them so I dunno how I'll pick but I do know it will be well after they have both come out.

Also I miss SEGA :(

• Registered Users Posts: 29,560 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

I would have said ps 4 but recent news of sony dropping the dualshock controller in favour of a more motion orientated controller is very worrying. I hate the 360 joypad and if sony does bring in the whole ' no second hand games' thing then I will probably get the steam box.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 7,941 Mod ✭✭✭✭Yakult

Sony hands down. Superior console now and will probably be superior then. But in reality, neither. Will just stick to what I've always considered the best, PC.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,447 ✭✭✭richymcdermott

ShooterSF wrote: »
    I have a 360 and originally found the PS3 as too expensive but lately I have been fascinated with some exclusives I haven't got to play because they're on the PS3, Journey being on of the biggest ones. Also I don't really do FPS and it just seems that the 360 is more and more obsessed with them so I dunno how I'll pick but I do know it will be well after they have both come out.

Also I miss SEGA :(

i know the feeling dude :(

• Registered Users Posts: 4,640 ✭✭✭Pushtrak

Yakult wrote: »
    Sony hands down. Superior console now and will probably be superior then.
    Really? By what metric? Not in terms of face offs of multiplatform titles. Looking up face offs puts that idea in question. Exclusives? Debatable, but ultimately opinion based.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

I prefer Xbox Live to PSN, so I'll probably stick with Microsoft's console, provided of course that they keep Live up and running. If Sony bring back full backwards compatibility then that would be a huge plus for me. Love me some San Andreas.

In all honestly, I reckon I will get which ever one comes out first.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,515 ✭✭✭tupac_healy

All in all I'm pretty happy with my ps3, it depends on what the new systems can offer but I cant see me rushing out to buy either

• Registered Users Posts: 7,447 ✭✭✭Calhoun

I have both current gen and don't favour either, however I think Sony has lost it to an extent. I will eventually get both depending on games and even steam box as I'm more a tech fanboi but ps4 Would not be a be a day one purchase.

I would wait until a year or so after launch unless I heard it was worth it . I used to be such a Sony fanboy but they have lost allot of exclusives that made them great.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

Must question why microsoft isnt going the same route as "Steambox".

You would think out of all the manufacturers microsoft would be the only one with the power to Not only get good hardware but put a "windows lite" operating system on it and Launch games the same as console that are guarenteed to run, but also set it up to allow steam to run.......................... steam would have no way of stopping them as it would look like a PC to their service.

Not that this seems very likely, but Valve would to want to stop a potential user base of millions of people from accessing their store because .... :p

• Registered Users Posts: 7,409 ✭✭✭Icyseanfitz

looking at the way they have both been going with their gimmicks id have to say neither, at least not at launch

• Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

Neither at launch due to my horrendous backlog on current gen systems. Once that clears a bit I'll look at the current exclusives for both platforms and go with the one that has the most I'm interested in. After awhile and/or when the other console catches up on exclusives, I'll pick that one up too. Rinse and repeat until all platforms are acquired and all releases can be played.

Brand loyalty, hardware specs and price (relatively speaking) mean **** all if you can't play everything you want to play. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,511 ✭✭✭✭Varik

With a late 2013 date in mind.

I'd say Sony will have a better line up at launch than MS, just going by when their big 1st & 2nd party devs finished up their last games.

Advertisement