Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How will you choose between MS & Sony's new consoles?

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,060 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

One reason they might not include bluray playback is to save on licencing costs. They did this with Windows 8.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,013 Mod ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

I'll likely end up getting both sometime down the road, but it really just depends on their exclusive games. Right now I find Xbox's cross-platform games to run smoother so it's always my choice but that's yet TBD for the next gen. I prefer the Xbox controller but Sony's works just fine. I don't care for online play (only couch co-op) so XBL/PSN+ doesn't factor in. I imagine Sony will be a media player so that's a point in it's column. Price would be pretty big, and also which one comes out first (and hence likely has the first price drop).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

NTMK wrote: »
    flash still costs more than optical and Publishers right now are doing everything in their power to keep costs down. not to mention potential piracy problems

Microsoft and sony will hold prices at €55-€60 for AAA releases anyway
    Varik wrote: »
    Optical media is still cheaper by far.

All the hardware from last gen is still cheaper by far.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,518 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Yea because any alternative would be next gen and not some altered version of any of the existing one.

Burnt media will away be cheaper than any assembled one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

Varik wrote: »
    Burnt media will away be cheaper than any assembled one.

DVDs were cheaper to manufacture than Blu Ray. Were 360 games cheaper than ps3 because of this?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,064 ✭✭✭Mike Litoris

dan_ep82 wrote: »
    This. I stuck with Sony waiting for the new Gran Turismo and while it is a great game its just not in the same league as Forza.

I did that too untill I discovered Forza and bought xbox straight away.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

tuxy wrote: »
    DVDs were cheaper to manufacture than Blu Ray. Were 360 games cheaper than ps3 because of this?

The biggest games are in the order of 20GB + (probably be more like the standard size for next generation games).

For such a size you would be measuring the production cost per unit for bluray media in tens of cents, and no matter how cheap flash memory gets you would still be counting the cost per unit for custom preloaded flash drives in dollars for a good few years to come.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,796 ✭✭✭Polar101

I chose PS3 over the Xbox because it was quieter, had blu-ray and seemed to be better as a media player. I'm mainly a PC gamer but don't want to miss out on some console games. In the next gen the one with the first interesting exclusive game might win my vote.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,056 ✭✭✭Sparks43

The way i will choose between the 2 is on one key factor

Which one has Zelda ,Metroid Pikmin and other great games

So thats both of them ruled out then.:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,992 ✭✭✭Korvanica

Sparks43 wrote: »
    The way i will choose between the 2 is on one key factor

Which one has Zelda ,Metroid Pikmin and other great games

So thats both of them ruled out then.:pac:

Yea you're right. I'm sure there will be no great games on either of these consoles.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 721 ✭✭✭Pixelbastardo

Microsoft for Forza. Plus the 720 will have a Blu Ray player and I have a Boxee so I'll have Zero reason to go with the Sony.

but dont you want a nice selection and variety of games to play ? :D

A PC/PS4 combo is all any gamer will need for next gen.

Unless MS start to invest in some first party games (not kinect stuff)
    They wont have any advantage with multiplat performance with the new consoles having decent amount of ram.

I just hope PD dont mess about with GT, and release gt6 as a launch title, or soon after launch.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,064 ✭✭✭Mike Litoris

but dont you want a nice selection and variety of games to play ? :D

I know its nuts but all I play is Forza and GTA. Everything else is on PC, RPGs and FPSs etc. There is nothing unique to Sony any more for me and as a media centre its way too restricted and cumbersome its sole purpose is now a blu ray player.

Either way if there is something killer on both systems I'll buy both. I couldn't give a fcuk about a pissing contest between the two machines.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,992 ✭✭✭Korvanica

The only thing that might get me to pick up a PS4 is a new Little Big Planet Game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

The only thing that really matters is exclusive content & how online functionality is implemented. While the next consoles may look & feel quite different, they're both gonna play 90% of the exact same games, the games will look almost identical to each other, & will be as boring as each other for quite a while after release.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,184 ✭✭✭Patsy fyre

Which console will have skygo app will probably swing it for me although I'd be more inclined to buy the new xbox as most friends have it and I hate the ps controller.

• Registered Users Posts: 721 ✭✭✭Pixelbastardo

I know its nuts but all I play is Forza and GTA. Everything else is on PC, RPGs and FPSs etc. There is nothing unique to Sony any more for me and as a media centre its way too restricted and cumbersome its sole purpose is now a blu ray player.

Either way if there is something killer on both systems I'll buy both. I couldn't give a fcuk about a pissing contest between the two machines.:D

well said, your maturity is humbling :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,056 ✭✭✭Sparks43

Korvanica wrote: »
    Yea you're right. I'm sure there will be no great games on either of these consoles.

Judging by the ps3 and the 360 there have been very few games that would make me run out and buy either console.

Ive been playing games for many years starting in the early 80s and i know what i like in games.

So altogether now

You can stick your Ps4 up your ass
    You can stick your 720 up your ass
    You can stick your PsVita
    Stick your PsVita
    Stick your PsVita up your ass

• Registered Users Posts: 8,163 ✭✭✭Beefy78

Sparks43 wrote: »
    Judging by the ps3 and the 360 there have been very few games that would make me run out and buy either console.

Ive been playing games for many years starting in the early 80s and i know what i like in games.

So altogether now

You can stick your Ps4 up your ass
    You can stick your 720 up your ass
    You can stick your PsVita
    Stick your PsVita
    Stick your PsVita up your ass

That (and the rest of your hilarious post, tbh) says more about you than either of the consoles.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,009 Mod ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

gizmo wrote: »

Well one thing I can guarantee is that if it requires a constant internet connection, I won't be buying it on principle alone. I'll just save money and build a PC.

Doubt it'll happen though, a lot of middle America still has crap connections like us. I'd hope that MS wouldn't just write them off. (Of course I could be wrong, in which case :( )

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭murphyebass

If microsoft and sony go down this route of no second hand games surely their just asking people to hack the machine and use copied games instead no? :confused:

I seriously cant get my head around that. I'm damned if I'm paying full price every time I want another game.

I generally buy second hand or from Zavvi when its gone down to a reasonable price.

The only game I can remember paying full price recently for was Halo 4 on release just because I knew I'd be online mainly.

Sometimes waiting a while means theres nobody playing online by the time you buy that particular game.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,275 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

They will simply block online play for hacked consoles/copied games I'd guess and you'll simply have to wait for a price drop/sale (same way the PC crowd looks forward to Steam Sales etc.).

Nody wrote: »
    They will simply block online play for hacked consoles/copied games I'd guess and you'll simply have to wait for a price drop/sale (same way the PC crowd looks forward to Steam Sales etc.).

A lot of people dont care about online play. Personally I could take or leave it.

Would much rather have a load of local multiplayer and single player games than paying out a fortune every time for a game.

I doubt I'd be the only one that would take this view.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,640 ✭✭✭Pushtrak

The ban on second hand games, I really don't expect that to happen. It wouldn't be very smart business. But, lets suppose hypothetically it did. The life cycle and sales of games would completely change. The people who buy day one would still do so, so that wouldn't change. The majority though, would be waiting for a price drop, and because the sales would slow down faster, the prices would likely go down faster than they currently do. People would be jumping in to the online component later. Again, I don't see any of this happening. People are more likely to buy new for games that come with online passes. They don't really need to do anything beyond that.

Edit: Murphy, I agree with you. Heck, I'm unlikely to buy a game if it isn't going to do enough to entertain me on its single player component. I don't look for multiplayer whether online or offline. I get enough multiplayer when I want that I don't need to go looking for it like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 784 ✭✭✭Klair88

If the banning of second hand games means the price of new games is lowered to around €30-35 i'm 100% for it.

It would mean its cheaper on me(as any game i want to play i actually buy brand new anyway). Developers deserve your money for the game. The thoughts of "leech" companies like Gamestop making €30-40 profit from a used Skyrim and NO money going to the makers of the game is sickening.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

Klair88 wrote: »
    If the banning of second hand games means the price of new games is lowered to around €30-35 i'm 100% for it.

It would mean its cheaper on me(as any game i want to play i actually buy brand new anyway). Developers deserve your money for the game. The thoughts of "leech" companies like Gamestop making €30-40 profit from a used Skyrim and NO money going to the makers of the game is sickening.

That would be great in theory if it actually worked out like that. You can just see the shops leaving the prices as is and pocketing the extra as pure profit, no questions asked.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,447 ✭✭✭Calhoun

Klair88 wrote: »

The thing i find aswell is that 2nd hand copies are normally like 2-3 euro cheaper than new in game stop so in ways if there was a price drop on the new content it could be for the better.

That would be great in theory if it actually worked out like that. You can just see the shops leaving the prices as is and pocketing the extra as pure profit, no questions asked.

Not a hope of that happening. Nice thought though.

• Registered Users Posts: 784 ✭✭✭Klair88

Not if Sony and Microsoft come up with a way to enforce it, somehow. Its something i dont like in games nowadays ever since i worked in gamestop for awhile. The only games i buy from gamestop are EA titles and Collecters edition sets and if i do buy any game, i make sure its brand new. Extra fiver or tenner doesnt matter to me if i know it goes to a Dev from the game and not a Suit from Gamestop.

Just me personally!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭quad_red

I got a 360 not long after launch and a PS3 a few years later.

In terms of quality - both have failed. MS repaired the RROD free on warranty, my PS3 kicked the bucket out of warranty and required a new laser.

I play very few games now and use the consoles as media streamers. The PS3 is god awful at this but the reason I use it is because it's quiet - holy cow, my 360 is ridiculously loud. Plus, MS making me pay to access my own Netflix a/c. Go f**k yourselves!

Also - I think MS hit a sweet spot with the 360 OS 2/3 years ago. Since they introduced the NXE crap I think it's poorly laid out and inefficient. More and more flimsy gimmicky crap. The PS3 OS is a bit of a joke but at least it isn't locked down.

I really don't know if I will buy the new consoles.

The thought of a steambox rocking in with a new Half Life game though.... :pac:

Advertisement