Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How will you choose between MS & Sony's new consoles?

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,059 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

C14N wrote: »
    When I was in Dublin last year with UPC (100Mb) I was looking at a few hundred Kb upload at best. Would that be enough to stream from a PS4?

Well anywhere with Wifi at least. It's a really cool idea but there are some drawbacks. You would have to leave the PS4 on the entire time (I assume) and you couldn't switch discs without going home. Still, if that did work you can be sure I would think seriously about getting a Vita shortly after a PS4.
    That hopefully shouldn't be a problem for digital games. Whether the pricing of digital games will be competitive is another story.

A few hundred Kbps(kilobits) wouldn't but a few hundred KBps(kilobytes) would. On UPC you should have been getting about 5Mbps which would be about 600KBps.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,861 ✭✭✭FlyingIrishMan

I think the ping plays a very important factor in this scenario as well. High download/upload will only get you so far, but if you have a high ping it'll take too long for the controls to be sent back to the PS4.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,059 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

I think the ping plays a very important factor in this scenario as well. High download/upload will only get you so far, but if you have a high ping it'll take too long for the controls to be sent back to the PS4.

True but within Ireland it should be fine. If your upload speed is good enough, I doubt your ping would be that bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,783 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

C14N wrote: »
    When I was in Dublin last year with UPC (100Mb) I was looking at a few hundred Kb upload at best. Would that be enough to stream from a PS4?

Well anywhere with Wifi at least. It's a really cool idea but there are some drawbacks. You would have to leave the PS4 on the entire time (I assume) and you couldn't switch discs without going home. Still, if that did work you can be sure I would think seriously about getting a Vita shortly after a PS4.

Prob be able to put it to sleep like how remote play on ps3 works now. That did occasionally work over Wi-Fi but mainly I had to be in the house to get it to work properly and only to watch TV shows or use the browser.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

A more detailed look at PS Vita TV, it will work over a WiFi network, but the remote play will not be implemented till a later date, probably due to the delay with Gaikai till early next year.

http://ie.ign.com/articles/2013/09/09/why-ps-vita-tv-could-be-a-game-changer

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭Richard Dower

Uplay announced for X1 and PS4....i already created an account for AC3: http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2013-09-10-uplay-confirmed-for-ps4-and-xbox-one

• Registered Users Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

...I'm not shocked by that.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Uplay announced for X1 and PS4....i already created an account for AC3: http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2013-09-10-uplay-confirmed-for-ps4-and-xbox-one

Can't wait to get hacked on my ps4 too!!!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 7,941 Mod ✭✭✭✭Yakult

Hate Uplay so much. More so than Origin.

MS got their PR ass handed to them!

http://arstechnica.com/gaming/2013/09/microsoft-exec-defends-xbox-one-from-accusations-its-underpowered/

^ adding up bandwidth is galling to say the least, he simply does not know the PS4 final retail specs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭Nolars

http://arstechnica.com/gaming/2013/09/microsoft-exec-defends-xbox-one-from-accusations-its-underpowered/

^ adding up bandwidth is galling to say the least, he simply does not know the PS4 final retail specs.

both consoles are under-powered compared to PC.

At this point I really really just don't even care anymore. I just want my ps4 as soon as possible. Its not raw power that I like in it, I just love what it offers already to me as a gamer!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

Nolars wrote: »
    both consoles are under-powered compared to PC.

Yeah, but (insert loads of things here).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,656 ✭✭✭C14N

Do specs even really matter at all? Like even a little bit? The majority of games any of us will be playing will be on both systems and will probably look pretty much the exact same on both too. The performance of exclusives will depend more on how well the developers optimise it to run. I remember seeing arguments about the specs of the PS3 and the 360 last time and honestly I couldn't say that I can see the difference at all or say that one system objectively looks better all the time. It just seems like such a trivial part of the whole argument, if you're really the kind of person who cares about specs then you're probably the kind of person who builds a PC to play most of your games on that.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

Whatever about Penello's comments, that "Quick Analysis" from Ars is utter ****ing nonsense. Who cares about the API? Really?! :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,525 ✭✭✭ION08

Will any stores be holding a midnight launch for the PS4??

The thought only crossed my head now ... strange that nobody mentioned this before :confused:

ION08 wrote: »
    Will any stores be holding a midnight launch for the PS4??

The thought only crossed my head now ... strange that nobody mentioned this before :confused:

My local gamestop is doing midnight launch, so I presume the rest will do to.

My local gamestop is doing midnight launch, so I presume the rest will do to.

I pre-ordered in Smyth's (Blanch)

Midnight launch would be great ... otherwise I'll have to take the morning off work or send the missus down :o

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,267 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

gizmo wrote: »
    Whatever about Penello's comments, that "Quick Analysis" from Ars is utter ****ing nonsense. Who cares about the API? Really?! :rolleyes:

Well, Peter Bright is their Microsoft guy, he has been following/reporting on Microsoft matters for so long that he's on a downer with them.

It's a common affliction among Microsoft reporters actually.

In general though, taken with a pinch of salt his reporting is of a high standard. In this case, I don't think it matters really. Third party games will be roughly similar, and first party games will look great on both consoles, the same as this generation.

Stumbled on to this from Extreme Tech
    However, rumor has it that the Xbox One‘s production isn’t going quite so smoothly. Reports came in recently from Asia that Microsoft is lowering its shipment forecast for the fourth quarter. Supposedly, the estimated seven million units has slipped to 6.2 million. The built-in Blu-ray drive and the Kinect’s camera module are reportedly both the cause of the production problems, so there’s no real indication that the custom APU is causing the production slowdowns.
    Jack Tretton, President and CEO of Sony Computer Entertainment of America, took a moment to sit down with Fox Business, and discuss the upcoming launch of the PS4. While he declines to dive deep into the exact numbers, Tretton claims that the PS4′s production yields are “phenomenal.” At this point all we really know is that the PS4 already has over a million pre-orders, and Sony plans on having plenty of stock on hand for retailers at launch.

http://www.extremetech.com/gaming/166458-ps4-production-yields-are-high-but-xbox-one-might-be-in-trouble-for-release-day

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,267 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

Xenji wrote: »

Extremetech are just really behind the times on this. It's just the last rumour that was already shot down.

See here, noting the date of the article.

Edge has a new piece, your decision + your money = your choice: http://www.edge-online.com/news/power-struggle-the-real-differences-between-ps4-and-xbox-one-performance/

"We purposefully did not target the highest end graphics. We targeted it more as a broad entertainment play." (at the 5:43-minute-mark)

http://www.viddler.com/v/10738ac4?secre t=81714898

Just went into Smyths to enquire about a midnight launch for the PS4 and they said they'll definitely be holding one! :D

I also noticed that the XBOX ONE will come with Forza 5 included for the price of €499..

Not a bad deal at all!! Taking that and the Kinect2 into consideration, it virtually closes the price gap between the PS4 and the ONE

Just went into Smyths to enquire about a midnight launch for the PS4 and they said they'll definitely be holding one! :D

I also noticed that the XBOX ONE will come with Forza 5 included for the price of €499..

Not a bad deal at all!! Taking that and the Kinect2 into consideration, it virtually closes the price gap between the PS4 and the ONE

Not if we actually get the Killzone Bundle over here for the PS4, but nothing official will be known about that will next month I would say.

Edge has a new piece, your decision + your money = your choice: http://www.edge-online.com/news/power-struggle-the-real-differences-between-ps4-and-xbox-one-performance/

"We purposefully did not target the highest end graphics. We targeted it more as a broad entertainment play." (at the 5:43-minute-mark)

http://www.viddler.com/v/10738ac4?secre t=81714898

Technically speaking, "your decision" and "your choice" are the same thing, moving "your decision" from the left side of the equation to the right results in them cancelling each other out, leaving you with just "your money".

Sorry.

Xenji wrote: »
    Not if we actually get the Killzone Bundle over here for the PS4, but nothing official will be known about that will next month I would say.

Would that be included in the 399 price tag? ... Not really a fan of killzone, but hey, if it's free who am I to say no! :D

It'd be amazing if they bundled it with DriveClub for 399

Would that be included in the 399 price tag? ... Not really a fan of killzone, but hey, if it's free who am I to say no! :D

It'd be amazing if they bundled it with DriveClub for 399

The price is not confirmed, but it was at 500 Euro on the French Amazon site, you get the console, the game, 2 controllers and the camera in the the bundle.

For people who play mostly RPG's, Deep Down will be a PS4 exclusive, it will not be a timed one either and will not be coming to the Xbone, actually would assume people who play mostly RPG's like myself would be getting a PS4 anyway, the 360 was terrible when it came to them, it only had Blue Dragon and Lost Odyssey as exclusives.

http://ie.ign.com/articles/2013/09/09/deep-down-is-a-playstation-4-exclusive

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,925 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

PS3 was pretty crappy for RPGs as well with only Valkyria Chronicles and the fairly dull and over rated Ni No Kuni. If you want JRPGs get a 3DS. If you think the PS4 is going to be chock full of JRPGs then you are fooling yourself. Japan won't be interested in the PS4 outside of the otaku.

I doubt Deep Down will remain an exclusive. Capcom like money and it's not like they haven't gone back on exclusivity deals either. Shinj Mikami said he's kill himself if Resi 4 was released on the PS2.

• Advertisement

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    PS3 was pretty crappy for RPGs as well with only Valkyria Chronicles and the fairly dull and over rated Ni No Kuni. If you want JRPGs get a 3DS. If you think the PS4 is going to be chock full of JRPGs then you are fooling yourself. Japan won't be interested in the PS4 outside of the otaku.

I doubt Deep Down will remain an exclusive. Capcom like money and it's not like they haven't gone back on exclusivity deals either. Shinj Mikami said he's kill himself if Resi 4 was released on the PS2.

It was not that bad, off the top of my head you had the likes of Folklore, Valkyria Chronicles, Tales of Graces F, Ni No Kuni, Demon Souls, White Knight Chronicles, Disgaea 3, Atelier Rorona, Ar Tonelico Qoga Knell of Ar Ciel and Tales of Xillia being exclusives and a load of games from Nippon Ichi Software.

I have a 3DS and agree with you that the quality of games is better and you have more choice with it and they are not afraid to try new things in the games.

Capcom are working with SCEJ on the game, so I doubt you will see a game that Sony is helping create and fund coming out on the Xbone.

Advertisement