Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How will you choose between MS & Sony's new consoles?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭Baked.noodle

EnterNow wrote: »
    The 32X being an exception. That was a hugely popular add-on that took the world by storm, with a slew of high quality releases.

/troll

I'm sorry but are you referring to me?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

I'm sorry but are you referring to me?

Nope :) Just telling Retr0 what a great system the 32X is, & that not all add-on systems are bad. Well, ok they are, but so what :D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,230 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

As stated before - this is the first generation of console that wasn't faster then current PC tech. .

Absolute nonsense. Consoles on release have not been a match for high quality PC tech for several generations now. Just remember that Crysis was released a mere year after the PS3, and in terms of raw horsepower on a different level entirely to anything released on this generation of conses - Crysis itself only showing up on consoles years later in significantly simplified form (although admittedly it was the lucky PC owners who had the tech to optimally run Crysis on release). Neither console ran the Orange Box games anywhere near as effectively as the PC versions - PS3 version was actually an abomination. See also the PS2's attempt to match software like Deus Ex or even at that point long-in-the-tooth Half-Life. In all cases, the console was at best equal to a low-end PC. And of course one has to remember it is typically only in the second half of a console's lifespan that developer's manage to really understand and take advantage of the hardware.

Frankly, anyone who buys a console expecting top of the range tech is bordering on deluded, because it hasn't been that way decades, and raw horsepower - as stated again and again - is not what people buy consoles for. That article is merely stating the bleeding obvious.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,806 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

The PC is such a broad platform that it is impossible to compare them to consoles fairly.

You will always have PCs and PC devs that will push the boundaries and no console will match them but that is not the norm for the market. You will get the odd Crysis or Arma 3 game but they are not the norm.

A large % of PCs in the market are piles of crap that are barely able to run 5 year old games if they are able to run games at all.

Then you have dedicated gaming pcs, ones like mine an okish mid range pc ( hd Radeon 7800 2gb, i5, 16 gb ram) which beats the pants off a ps3. But after playing the ps4 I was very impressed by it. It looked as good if not better than anything my pc has been able to produce. But it is very hard to compare something properly before it comes out.

Then you factor in most big developers are going to be making 5 versions of a game for the next two years. Look at watchdogs which will be on 6 platforms there will be little difference between pc and ps4.

So for two to three years the vast majority of games will be very close on pc and ps4. Indie games will start to be a large % of the market due to their volume and little difference will be found there either.

You will always have a small % of pc owners who can get better performance from their pc. But no one should underestimate how big a jump next gen really is for the majority of gamers.

But graphics is only one portion of what next gen is, recording video, online play, free to play, cross platform gaming. Are all new to the console market.

Anyway the Rift is the future. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

I can already see the most popular videos on youtube all November/December: "SUPER DUPER PC VS XBOX ONE VS PS4 GRAPHICS COMPARISON!!!!!!!"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7 Brotha Noomzy

Be sure to check what kind of warranty you get with whichever console you buy guys. Speaking from experience after my first PS3 broke a few weeks after buying on launch day and Sony were less than helpful, a lesson not forgotten.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,230 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

I'd really hope that both MS and Sony have learned their lessons after the (very expensive) last gen hardware cluster****. At least the extra two years or so should have bought them the time to design more robust, better built console - but then again we've all heard the reports that Microsoft anyway are rushing the One out. But yeah, certainly advisable to bear the inevitable hardware revisions in mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,518 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Be sure to check what kind of warranty you get with whichever console you buy guys. Speaking from experience after my first PS3 broke a few weeks after buying on launch day and Sony were less than helpful, a lesson not forgotten.

Deal with the retailer, they're the ones who sold you it.

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭madness98

I can already see the most popular videos on youtube all November/December: "SUPER DUPER PC VS XBOX ONE VS PS4 GRAPHICS COMPARISON!!!!!!!"

And why not? Pre and post E3, promoters and 'community relations managers' from all console fronts have been hitting popular gaming magizine publicists with hyperbole about why their console is so much better than pc.

Back on topic, I will be waiting a while to see how each system beds in but I am edging towards the ps4. It seems to have a more 'gamer centric' approach.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

Sony announced the PS Vita TV this morning, if they keep the price low here it will be a must have edition for the PS4, something else for people to think about if they are sill on the fence in which console they want.

http://ie.ign.com/articles/2013/09/09/sony-reveals-new-hardware-ps-vita-tv

• Advertisement

Xenji wrote: »
    Sony announced the PS Vita TV this morning, if they keep the price low here it will be a must have edition for the PS4, something else for people to think about if they are sill on the fence in which console they want.

http://ie.ign.com/articles/2013/09/09/sony-reveals-new-hardware-ps-vita-tv
    That looks pretty cool.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,374 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

remote playing the PS4 (a planned update for it) sounds fantastic. My PS4 will be set up in the games/gym/spare room - would be awesome to be able to remote play it on the main TV, especially when people come over.

Will very likely be picking that up.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,389 ✭✭✭✭Penn

remote playing the PS4 (a planned update for it) sounds fantastic. My PS4 will be set up in the games/gym/spare room - would be awesome to be able to remote play it on the main TV, especially when people come over.

Will very likely be picking that up.

Really is a great idea, I can see it doing well.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

If Ps Vita Tv works well, it will be amazing. Bringing just a tiny box over to a mates to play PS4 games with Netflix on it is great. Also as someone said, taking advantage of the free Vita games on PS Plus.

It's a brilliant idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,197 ✭✭✭maximoose

Was planning on getting another roku for the house towards Christmas time, but this will do even better. Fantastic idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

PS Vita TV Trailer

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭madness98

Looks like a very interesting concept. Definitely something for folk like myself still stuck in the middle ground to bear in mind.

Also, who plays any console like that? Moving the controller all over the place? I'd love to see a pc parody where the players are moving the keyboard and mouse all over the place.

Grayditch wrote: »
    If Ps Vita Tv works well, it will be amazing. Bringing just a tiny pox over to a mates to play PS4 games with Netflix on it is great. Also as someone said, taking advantage of the free Vita games on PS Plus.

It's a brilliant idea.

Don't come near my house if you're bringing a pox !

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,102 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

I always go over to my friends house to watch him play single player games as well :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

It showed two lads playing Tekken on the same Vita Tv on the other trailer.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,660 ✭✭✭COYVB

It showed two lads playing Tekken on the same Vita Tv on the other trailer.

It supports 2 DualShocks, so local 2 player is doable

• Registered Users Posts: 2,656 ✭✭✭C14N

If Ps Vita Tv works well, it will be amazing. Bringing just a tiny box over to a mates to play PS4 games with Netflix on it is great. Also as someone said, taking advantage of the free Vita games on PS Plus.

It's a brilliant idea.

How does that work? I thought it just lets you play your PS4 on a different TV in the same house?

Also, I've been wondering about something. All PS4 games have to be Remote Play compatible which means it needs to work that you can stream the game to your PS Vita and play it on that. But the Vita doesn't seem to have any R2 or L2 buttons so how will that work?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,861 ✭✭✭FlyingIrishMan

C14N wrote: »
    How does that work? I thought it just lets you play your PS4 on a different TV in the same house?

Also, I've been wondering about something. All PS4 games have to be Remote Play compatible which means it needs to work that you can stream the game to your PS Vita and play it on that. But the Vita doesn't seem to have any R2 or L2 buttons so how will that work?

It's basically a vita without a screen. It can do everything a vita can except it's plugged into the TV, so it's remote play is the same as the Vita remote play.

Back touchpad can be used for L2/R2.

It's basically a vita without a screen. It can do everything a vita can except it's plugged into the TV, so it's remote play is the same as the Vita remote play.

Yeah but isn't Vita Remote Play just so you can play your PS4 on your Vita within a certain distance of the PS4? So how could you bring it to a friend's house? Unless of course the friend lived right next to you.
    Back touchpad can be used for L2/R2.

Ah, okay.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,861 ✭✭✭FlyingIrishMan

Yeah but isn't Vita Remote Play just so you can play your PS4 on your Vita within a certain distance of the PS4? So how could you bring it to a friend's house? Unless of course the friend lived right next to you.

Ah, okay.

Sony still haven't clarified if it can be played over any wifi or if it needs to be connected to the same local network. So it can go either way atm for both devices.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,060 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Ah, okay.

It may be able to do remote play over your internet connection which would be pretty cool. Lag would kill it though.

It may be able to do remote play over your internet connection which would be pretty cool. Lag would kill it though.

Yeah I would have thought so. It's one thing to have something like Gaikai where you're downloading on a high-speed connection but if you were streaming from your PS4 you would have to upload it from a residential connection which would be a nightmare.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,060 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Yeah I would have thought so. It's one thing to have something like Gaikai where you're downloading on a high-speed connection but if you were streaming from your PS4 you would have to upload it from a residential connection which would be a nightmare.

As long as the upload speed in your connection is good there should be no issues. Basically, UPC and Eircom e fibre customers should be fine.

In the "day with Playstation" video they show a girl playing Knack at home stopping, picking up the vita going to college, going to class then on lunch she pulls out the Vita connects via wi-fi to her PS4 and picks up right where she left off.

If it does work like this it will be amazing. Imagine having your PS4 anywhere!

• Advertisement

As long as the upload speed in your connection is good there should be no issues. Basically, UPC and Eircom e fibre customers should be fine.

When I was in Dublin last year with UPC (100Mb) I was looking at a few hundred Kb upload at best. Would that be enough to stream from a PS4?
    In the "day with Playstation" video they show a girl playing Knack at home stopping, picking up the vita going to college, going to class then on lunch she pulls out the Vita connects via wi-fi to her PS4 and picks up right where she left off.

If it does work like this it will be amazing. Imagine having your PS4 anywhere!

Well anywhere with Wifi at least. It's a really cool idea but there are some drawbacks. You would have to leave the PS4 on the entire time (I assume) and you couldn't switch discs without going home. Still, if that did work you can be sure I would think seriously about getting a Vita shortly after a PS4.

Advertisement