Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How will you choose between MS & Sony's new consoles?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

madness98 wrote: »
    I guess so. I'm almost sure I heard him say they were built into the hardware unless though I could be wrong.

You touched on another thing that I was wondering about as well, and that is whether or not some time into the XBone's lifespan they will reintroduce these changes via software updates.
    Funny that you mention that actually, some news on that as of this morning. :)

Microsoft still hopes for Xbox One digital game trading

The problem, as highlighted in the article, is that these approaches need a heavy (but smart) application of DRM. Unless that's relatively well hidden (see: Steam), however, then MS are going to get an unholy amount of flack about it, especially if they require a mandatory internet connection regardless of whether you use the feature. I can certainly see said functionality coming back at some stage alright but definitely not for awhile.

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭madness98

thegame983 wrote: »
    I think with the release of a new console you/ me/ all of us, need to drop any sense of fanboyism that we may have. You need to evaluate your options and make the best choice for you, not the best best choice for the company that produced your last generation console.

I went from Megadrive -> Saturn -> N64 -> Dreamcast -> PS2 -> XBOX -> XBOX360 & PS3 -> Gaming PC

As you can see I had a small infinity for Sega consoles in the early days but after they flopped I truely couldn't care which company I bought from just which gave me the best product.

I'm gonna hold off until next year (maybe around the release of Titanfall?) and make a descision based on what has happened in the preceding months.

If you feel that Microsoft has let you down then vote with your wallet and don't buy their products, but don't think Sony are the second coming of Jesus they're just playing nice cause they got their ass handed to them (in the US at least) in the last generation, but for the love of god don't just blindly buy a console because your a fan of a company. I did that with the Sega saturn/ Dreamcast. Great consoles but a year or 2 later they didn't exist anymore.

I think you may be right in what you say about dropping any fanboyism at a new launch.

I've gone the same route of building a gaming pc. Probably the best decision i've made in terms of consoles in a long time.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,301 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

gizmo wrote: »
    Funny that you mention that actually, some news on that as of this morning. :)

Microsoft still hopes for Xbox One digital game trading

The problem, as highlighted in the article, is that these approaches need a heavy (but smart) application of DRM. Unless that's relatively well hidden (see: Steam), however, then MS are going to get an unholy amount of flack about it, especially if they require a mandatory internet connection regardless of whether you use the feature. I can certainly see said functionality coming back at some stage alright but definitely not for awhile.

Technically, in that article, they are talking about "digital" games only, i.e. games that you buy without a physical disk.

It's a distinction that's important, as it means that any games that you buy digitally could, at some stage in the future, have this system applied to it. If it only applies to digital games, then there really is no downside to it, as it's actually enabling you to trade digital games, something that no other system has allowed before.

As you say, applying the sort of DRM required to a physical copy of the game results in far too much "emotional" hassle for gamers currently.

What I think will happen is this: Microsoft bring out a "Digital Marketplace" where you can sell your digital games to other users. Instead of Gamestop or Game getting a cut, the publishers/developers will take a cut of this. Once up and running, most people will find that it is an acceptable compromise.

In a few years, Microsoft will release a cheaper version of the Xbox One without a disk drive, an all digital console.

I fully expect Sony to do something similar. There is too much money in cutting out the middle man.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,790 ✭✭✭2Mad2BeMad

CatInABox wrote: »
    Technically, in that article, they are talking about "digital" games only, i.e. games that you buy without a physical disk.

It's a distinction that's important, as it means that any games that you buy digitally could, at some stage in the future, have this system applied to it. If it only applies to digital games, then there really is no downside to it, as it's actually enabling you to trade digital games, something that no other system has allowed before.

As you say, applying the sort of DRM required to a physical copy of the game results in far too much "emotional" hassle for gamers currently.

What I think will happen is this: Microsoft bring out a "Digital Marketplace" where you can sell your digital games to other users. Instead of Gamestop or Game getting a cut, the publishers/developers will take a cut of this. Once up and running, most people will find that it is an acceptable compromise.

In a few years, Microsoft will release a cheaper version of the Xbox One without a disk drive, an all digital console.

I fully expect Sony to do something similar. There is too much money in cutting out the middle man.

Ireland and quite alot of other countrys wouldnt be ready for full digital. As internet is still only basic in most parts of ireland and other countrys.
    Hell i live in Dublin near the city and the best internet i can get is 8mb
    which would be horrid for 20+gb downloads.
    I agree though digitial is the way of the future, but really depends how far in the future, maybe next next gen?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,301 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

2Mad2BeMad wrote: »
    Ireland and quite alot of other countrys wouldnt be ready for full digital. As internet is still only basic in most parts of ireland and other countrys.
    Hell i live in Dublin near the city and the best internet i can get is 8mb
    which would be horrid for 20+gb downloads.
    I agree though digitial is the way of the future, but really depends how far in the future, maybe next next gen?

I know. I'm currently getting 2mb in the heart of London. I think that 8mb is perfectly fine, particularly with the "streaming" technology of both consoles. I'm assuming that it works at least as well as the streaming tech that blizzard used in Starcraft 2, which I used on my 2mb broadband, and that was acceptable to me. I was playing that an hour after starting to download it.

Actually, Microsoft have already demonstrated that they believe that people are ready for an always online console, what with their original plans and all. Completely unrealistic plans, perhaps, but still...

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭Richard Dower

elfy4eva wrote: »
    I've made my decision on how I'll choose which I go for, I'm going to wait a few months after their release and see what sort of bundles/deals become available (neither have launch titles that I'm particularly interested in and when I buy a new console i'd ideally like to get 2-3 games with it). Also will be able to review if there are any early hardware issues with either of them.

A wise choice imo....it'll also give time for the software/firmware updates to get a proper shakedown and time to add missing features and fix bugs :)

^ since we're dropping some 400 to 600 Euro on this launch you MUST be smart!....its alot of money, its something that should last you 5+ years. Its a very big investment for many of us.

I personally had to sell lots of my toys and tech to be able to get next gen, so i am NOT gonna rush into it fanboy head first. Its a major consumer product not a toy!

I'll buy the best console that fulfills my needs, i like the idea of an all-in-one entertainment system. Streaming, VOD, premium content etc., tv....great!

The problem is we just dont know what features are available in IRELAND!

I am genuinely not a PS fanboy or a MS hater...as i have said its a near daily plus and minus game. I'm just ticking off boxes.

If I do go next gen it wont be for at least 9 months or so after release so I can sum up the consoles and take into account any rumoured updates.

I'll buy the best console that fulfills my needs, i like the idea of an all-in-one entertainment system. Streaming, VOD, premium content etc., tv....great!

This is a bit off topic as we are discussing consoles here but if you like all that, why not just go pc?

If I do go next gen it wont be for at least 9 months or so after release so I can sum up the consoles and take into account any rumoured updates.

This is a bit off topic as we are discussing consoles here but if you like all that, why not just go pc?

Costs too much, to build high end....i'd splash down 650 on the grapgics card alone, then a high end CPU, SSD's etc.

I need about 3 grand to build what i want.....after i got sick the money dried up so i have to think small :(

• Registered Users Posts: 961 ✭✭✭James74

Costs too much, to build high end....i'd splash down 650 on the grapgics card alone, then a high end CPU, SSD's etc.

I need about 3 grand to build what i want.....after i got sick the money dried up so i have to think small :(

What?!... just...wait... the.... but.... What?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,199 ✭✭✭maximoose

Yeah, Richard I think you need to do your pricing again :pac:

Unless what you want is a time machine

Aaah that is unfortunate. I do have a friend in a similar situation. He is building a high end rig but buying one part at a time as he can only afford it this way. He has been smart though and is leaving the most expensive components to the bottom of the list so that by the time he comes round to them they should be a bit cheaper anyhow.

• Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭thegame983

Aaah that is unfortunate. I do have a friend in a similar situation. He is building a high end rig but buying one part at a time as he can only afford it this way. He has been smart though and is leaving the most expensive components to the bottom of the list so that by the time he comes round to them they should be a bit cheaper anyhow.

Leave the GPU till last. They are the ones that have the biggest price drops. I got GTX 760 for 230 quid and it is a fantastic card

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

I love how pc gaming haters said " you need a 1000eu build to play games, pc gaming is way too expensive", now it is " you need a 3000eu build to play games, pc gaming is way to expensive"... :pac: I wonder, does it have something to do with Console prices being quite steep this gen when you include online service bill and 2-3 times more expensive games... :pac:
    300px-Paris_Tuileries_Garden_Facepalm_statue.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭Nolars

I love how pc gaming haters said " you need a 1000eu build to play games, pc gaming is way too expensive", now it is " you need a 3000eu build to play games, pc gaming is way to expensive"... :pac: I wonder, does it have something to do with Console prices being quite steep this gen when you include online service bill and 2-3 times more expensive games... :pac:

Its a joke between humble bundles and sales the price PC games towards consoles is a piss take and you don't have to pay to play online.

So consoles........ what are people choosing - Xbox One or PS4?

You dont *need* a 3k PC to play games, you can buy an APU for 200 quid that'll handle any game at medium settings.

For me personally i would only build high end....when i had money i constantly swapped out to the latest and greatest.

You could PC game for 500 quid no problem :)

So consoles........ what are people choosing - Xbox One or PS4?

BOTH :cool:

You dont *need* a 3k PC to play games, you can buy an APU for 200 quid that'll handle any game at medium settings.

For me personally i would only build high end....when i had money i constantly swapped out to the latest and greatest.

You could PC game for 500 quid no problem :)

I wount go in to this topic again, it will derail off topic once again with completely no "help" to any party.

Just I would like to ask you politely to stop talking about PC gaming, because you have no clue about it. You just create more myths and wrong ways of approaching PC gaming.

Back to consoles!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,656 ✭✭✭C14N

If you feel that Microsoft has let you down then vote with your wallet and don't buy their products, but don't think Sony are the second coming of Jesus they're just playing nice cause they got their ass handed to them (in the US at least) in the last generation

MS sold 44m 360s in the US vs Sony selling 27m PS3s. They clearly one (in just that territory) but it's not really having their asses handed to them.

I am so utterly confused by this post :confused: Why is the only PC you could want one that costs €3000? I have to assume that unless you're using this for 3D modeling or some similar function, you're planning on blowing most of the money on something completely frivolous like 3 large screens or a solid gold case or a few TB of SSD storage. I just can't understand what you think a €3000 PC would do from a gaming stand point that a €1000 wouldn't, especially when comparing to the X1 or PS4.

Btw, I'm not saying "you should buy a PC" because there are lot of reason not to. I'm just saying that your reasoning for not doing so is really bizarre and baffling.

Back to consoles!!

Ars Technica have a nice interview up on the Xbox One. See here

ON TOPIC!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,478 ✭✭✭brianregan09

PS4 for me almost mine paid off but the wait is killer

C14N wrote: »
    MS sold 44m 360s in the US vs Sony selling 27m PS3s. They clearly one (in just that territory) but it's not really having their asses handed to them. .

you're right but it took Sony a long time to catch up. And it wasn't just hardware. The software sales that Microsoft got before Sony got their act together was huge. Also the HUGE amount of money from xbox live.

I wount go in to this topic again, it will derail off topic once again with completely no "help" to any party.

Just I would like to ask you politely to stop talking about PC gaming, because you have no clue about it. You just create more myths and wrong ways of approaching PC gaming.

Dude...i was building Pcs when you were playing with Lego :rolleyes:

Dude...i was building Pcs when you were playing with Lego :rolleyes:

Considering your comments it makes it even worse then so... :rolleyes:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,298 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Back on topic, please. Anymore off topic posts will be deleted with extreme prejudice, or maybe just standard prejudice..

• Registered Users Posts: 7,822 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

It is sold out now but Game in the UK had Forza 5, Fifa and Xbox one bundle for £429. Hopefully some more deals like this pop up but I am so close to pressing the pre order button.

MS copying the PS4 yet again....lost count now how many PS4 features MS have copied:

http://ie.ign.com/articles/2013/09/05/xbox-one-could-offer-backwards-compatibility-through-the-cloud

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭Nolars

MS copying the PS4 yet again....lost count now how many PS4 features MS have copied:

http://ie.ign.com/articles/2013/09/05/xbox-one-could-offer-backwards-compatibility-through-the-cloud

You should write a letter of complaint to them sense they are copy cats....

Advertisement