Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How will you choose between MS & Sony's new consoles?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭Deano7788

It is sold out now but Game in the UK had Forza 5, Fifa and Xbox one bundle for £429. Hopefully some more deals like this pop up but I am so close to pressing the pre order button.

Was it not either/or, rather than both? That was what I read.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,301 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

MS copying the PS4 yet again....lost count now how many PS4 features MS have copied:

http://ie.ign.com/articles/2013/09/05/xbox-one-could-offer-backwards-compatibility-through-the-cloud

I fail to see how this is a bad thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,822 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

Deano7788 wrote: »
    Was it not either/or, rather than both? That was what I read.

Think it might have been now I look again.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭Ri_Nollaig

MS copying the PS4 yet again....lost count now how many PS4 features MS have copied:

http://ie.ign.com/articles/2013/09/05/xbox-one-could-offer-backwards-compatibility-through-the-cloud
    Sony didn't exactly create that idea either...

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Ri_Nollaig wrote: »
    Sony didn't exactly create that idea either...

And neither of them have any actual information on how it'll be done other than vague generalisms.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

What? The interviewer asked Penello if the cloud could offer backwards compatibility via streaming in a similar manner to Gaikai to which he replied yes, that it is a possible use of their Azure infrastructure. How does that equate to copying Sony?

Hell, even if it did make sense, levelling that charge against them when Sony bought the tech required to do it via the acquisition of Gaikai brings you straight back to the entrance of crazy town.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,704 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

And neither of them have any actual information on how it'll be done other than vague generalisms.
    Remember OnLive?

Gaikai is like that, but with Dave Perry at the helm.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭Richard Dower

Sniper Elite: Nazi Zombie Army 2 coming to PC and possibly next gen by end of year: http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2013-09-06-sniper-elite-nazi-zombie-army-2-announced-for-pc

• Registered Users Posts: 2,656 ✭✭✭C14N

Sniper Elite: Nazi Zombie Army 2 coming to PC and possibly next gen by end of year: http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2013-09-06-sniper-elite-nazi-zombie-army-2-announced-for-pc

What does that have to do with anything? :confused:

C14N wrote: »
    What does that have to do with anything? :confused:

Possibly coming out on next gen not qualify as news now? :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

Possibly coming out on next gen not qualify as news now? :rolleyes:

Sorry, my bad for not reading it right, thought it was just PC :o

C14N wrote: »
    Sorry, my bad for not reading it right, thought it was just PC :o

I posted it because i'm a HUGE Sniper Elite fan!....so self publisging the game to next gen is great + next year we'll see Sniper Elite V3 released.....they've got a sure fire sale from this guy!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,669 ✭✭✭who_me

So consoles........ what are people choosing - Xbox One or PS4?

I've bought all recent consoles (bar the Wii U), but ended up playing the 360 almost all the time. This time around though I'm leaning heavily towards the PS4 - as most people seem to be! They're making all the right calls, and the hardware does seem to be marginally better.

Of course, I say that, but as soon as the first big Xbox One exclusive comes out... I'm such a sucker.

Next gen, nothing but a mid range PC in a fancy box:

http://www.economist.com/news/technology-quarterly/21584433-video-games-newest-games-consoles-look-surprisingly-underpowered-and-are-very?fsrc=scn/tw/te/pe/theraceisnottotheswift

But the truth is that the new consoles will be merely catching up with the current state of the art, rather than defining it. Both consoles have about as much raw computing power as a reasonably fast desktop PC and are, for all intents and purposes, ordinary PCs in fancy boxes.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,822 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

I don't know I've seen some mighty fancy PC boxes too !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,469 ✭✭✭✭GTR63

Aren't they always just that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,575 ✭✭✭NTMK

GTR63 wrote: »
    Aren't they always just that.

they used to have some sort of tech that made them unique.
    PS3 had blu-ray/cell
    360 had a good online system with match making and was the first HD console
    PS2 had DVD
    etc

This gen there isnt anything like that as we're sitting at a point where 4K is a generation away (just about) and in order to game on it you need to drop twice the price of the consoles on GPU's to run it now

3d is also heavily refined now so there isnt much of an improvement to be had there. where as ps1 3d will gouge your eyes out and ps2 was much better

Its at a stage where the biggest games will be in CPU intensive features physics, AI, etc but you wont notice them in a trailer

as these consoles become closer and closer to digital only they will become more like pcs except their small updates happen every 5-7 years as opposed to whenever you want on pc

As stated before - this is the first generation of console that wasn't faster then current PC tech. Ergo the article saying these console PCs are playing catchup to current tech.

Just catching up....in two years they will be obsolete, even by APU standards.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,575 ✭✭✭NTMK

As stated before - this is the first generation of console that wasn't faster then current PC tech. Ergo the article saying these console PCs are playing catchup to current tech.

Just catching up....in two years they will be obsolete, even by APU standards.

There is nothing that can be done on that front APU's is going to be a huge tech and since its relatively new it will accelerate quickly

Graphically we're entering a new enough arms race as Nvidia has the tech atm to make their Keplar GPU's (780, Titan) look outdated with maxwell inside 18 months

tbh the APU's they're using are fairly advanced as their isnt another APU on the market with the GPUs they're running. i expected lower spec GPU's

• Advertisement

A dev. on Twitter saying the PS4 is 50% more powerful: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=672097

• Registered Users Posts: 721 ✭✭✭Pixelbastardo

Adrian Chmielarz was the former Creative Director at People Can Fly for Painkiller, Bulletstorm and Gears of War Judgment.

MdsuCAK.png

The ps4 sells its self at this point.. 100e cheaper, smaller, and possibly 50% more powerful.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,469 ✭✭✭✭GTR63

NTMK wrote: »
    PS3 had blu-ray/cell
    PS2 had DVD
    etc

They already have the console gimmicks eg Set top box, Cloud, Vita fuctionality, Lame camera's designed to be used for the console(unlike Kinect), built in Social Media functionality & other crap both gave up 3GB of power to cram into it. The difference is that almost nobody cares about any of it. I only want what I got with the 3DS just make a more powerful version of what you already made & I played. Thanks bye.

Microsoft tried to make something that 6/7 years ago was where they thought we'd be at now. But that'll be probably be in future machines anyway & not a big deal by then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭Baked.noodle

I imagine that because both next gen consoles have moved to x86 processors future consoles will follow this trend. This will probably mean that later consoles (next gen next gen) will probably be backwardly compatible with the software which will be released over the next few years. I bet the lifespan of the next gen consoles will not be as long as the current generation, and people will be expected to buy whichever console brand they have already invested in, or will invest in, to make the most of backward compatibility.

NTMK wrote: »
    PS3 had blu-ray/cell
    PS2 had DVD
    etc

This gen there isnt anything like that as we're sitting at a point where 4K is a generation away (just about) and in order to game on it you need to drop twice the price of the consoles on GPU's to run it now

3d is also heavily refined now so there isnt much of an improvement to be had there. where as ps1 3d will gouge your eyes out and ps2 was much better

Its at a stage where the biggest games will be in CPU intensive features physics, AI, etc but you wont notice them in a trailer

as these consoles become closer and closer to digital only they will become more like pcs except their small updates happen every 5-7 years as opposed to whenever you want on pc

Didn't everyone complain about the Cell processor making the PS3 unique? Also, the fact that both the consoles now have all of those features is hardly a bad thing. I'm quite happy to see two consoles that are made to compete mostly on their actual games, it will make each side focus on getting more and more high-quality games to attract people to their side.

I disagree that 3D is so heavily refined now that you won't see much difference. I remember being very let down with the HD-consoles' graphics last time. The fact that it looked smoother in HD was a big plus but the in-game graphics still weren't amazing imo and usually still aren't with some exceptions (The Last of Us and racing games look very nice). I look forward to the jump to 1080p and the boost in graphical power. I think 5-7 years in the PC hardware industry will usually result in more than a "small" update too.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Monotype

I imagine that because both next gen consoles have moved to x86 processors future consoles will follow this trend. This will probably mean that later consoles (next gen next gen) will probably be backwardly compatible with the software which will be released over the next few years. I bet the lifespan of the next gen consoles will not be as long as the current generation, and people will be expected to buy whichever console brand they have already invested in, or will invest in, to make the most of backward compatibility.

Not necessarily. The first xbox used an Intel x86 CPU.

I didn't know that. Still.. they could revise the hardware in five or so years without incurring huge design costs. Just drop in a better APU, or change the memory. Stick a badge on it and sell enhanced versions of games.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,130 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I didn't know that. Still.. they could revise the hardware in five or so years without incurring huge design costs. Just drop in a better APU, or change the memory. Stick a badge on it and sell enhanced versions of games.

Which traditionally has lead to hardware flops and lack of support from third parties not willing to market to a massively reduced market. How many DSi only games do you know of (the DSi had a faster processor and there were some DSi only games)?

Don't have a DSi so I couldn't honestly say. I'm sure you have a point, but I really think it will go this way. The PC has homogenized the technology and everybody is singing of the same hymn sheet. Development will centre around game engines that are refined and improved. One irritation building on another. I think there will be less and less incentive to move in any dramatic new direction both in hardware and software. I think we are seeing the standardisation of consoles, and I'm surprised it took so long.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Which traditionally has lead to hardware flops and lack of support from third parties not willing to market to a massively reduced market. How many DSi only games do you know of (the DSi had a faster processor and there were some DSi only games)?

The 32X being an exception. That was a hugely popular add-on that took the world by storm, with a slew of high quality releases.

/troll

Advertisement