Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New "anti-gay" commercial

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,851 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

In your eyes this video promotes 'scum & druggies' to have kids and give those kids no chance?
    Aren't you supposed to be tolerant ones?

In my eyes and the video itself says the purpose of marriage is to have kids no matter what circumstances.

Pity they don't worry about the child welfare. Our priest pulled them up on this during a discussion on marriage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,940 ✭✭✭Corkfeen

Fair enough. However very few people in favour of gay marriage are in favour of polygamy. I am.

I don't see an actual reason to prevent polygamy as long as its not weighted in favour of one sex.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,298 ✭✭✭Duggys Housemate

Corkfeen wrote: »

I don't see an actual reason to prevent polygamy as long as its not weighted in favour of one sex.

Yes not Islamic polygamy only.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭tara73

after all, having had a look on their website and their subjects, for me it's a highly unlikable institution

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

Grayson wrote: »
    Why is the love of two unrelated gay people worth less than the love of two unrelated straight people?

Straight people cannnot marry their brother or sister. They cannot marry more than one person. And no-one is advocating it. What they are asking for is equality between gay and straight people.

So why do you not think gay people are equal?

Worth less in what way?? Do you think a piece of paper makes your love stronger?? Or worth more?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,758 ✭✭✭✭TeddyTedson

I've never seen a more condescending ad. Did Gay Byrne produce it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,293 ✭✭✭1ZRed

Aren't we all concerned with school bullying as it is.
    So normalise it. Make it alright for two men or two women to have children and teach your own children that it's nothing "odd" or out of the ordinary.

If you hold it back for the sake of potential bullying by kids then you're not helping the issue of same-sex parenting being seen as like any other parenting arrangement and it will be seen as different and a point to bully otherwise.

And if bullying is such a concern, then why not tackle that instead? It would seem that that would be the main issue as kids will bully each other over any thing that seems different to them. Teach them that certain things are no big deal and they won't see it as a problem.
    They pick it up from somewhere. No child is born with racist or discriminatory tendencies and leanings.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,652 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Is there any complaints at this article on their website?

A dad is the tenth most popular Christmas present for children

Author: Admin
    Date: 28th December 2012

A 'dad' is tenth most popular Christmas list request for children in the UK, according to a new survey.

In Britain, 40 percent of children are now born outside marriage. In Ireland the figure is 34 percent. Many have no contact with their fathers.

The poll of 2,000 British parents found most children will put a new baby brother or sister at the top of their Christmas list, The Daily Telegraph reports.

Second on the list for most children was a real-life reindeer.

A "pet horse" was the third most popular choice, with a "car" making an entry at number four.

However, the survey showed the tenth most popular Christmas wish on the list was a "Dad".

Here, a leading figure in the Saint Vincent de Paul has said that absence of fathers in the lives of children is set to cause “huge problems".

Brendan Dempsey, the southern regional president of the St Vincent de Paul Society (SVP) said nine out of 10 homes visited by SVP on one housing estate in Cork, were run by single mothers, he told The Examiner.

The effects on children were far-reaching, he continued. “There is a great need for children to have both parents, but it is not happening, there is a great want in these children,” said Mr Dempsey.

Mr Dempsey recalled going into a house and a tiny boy asking him: “Will you be my Daddy?”

“I am often asked ‘are you my Daddy’. That to me says there is a want,” he said.

A poll carried out in 2008 found that a ban on divorce is what most children would introduce if they ruled the world.

Marital splits were also named the second-worst thing in the world in the survey of under-10s.

http://www.ionainstitute.ie/index.php?id=2582

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,944 ✭✭✭✭Links234

“I am often asked ‘are you my Daddy’. That to me says there is a want,” he said.

lucky he wasn't asked "Are you my mummy?" 'cos only the Doctor could save us then!

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭CommanderC

Are they only idiots if they don't agree with your opinions?

For the record I have nothing against two gays getting married and adopting kids but I also think that the mother and father thing is best.

No, they are idiots because instead of expressing their opinion (which they are fully entitled to do) they are trying to actually force others to do things against their will. In this case they are trying to force people who are in love, to hide who they are and live without equal rights to other citizens of this country.

Having a differing opinion is fine. But no one is permitted to interfere in someone else's life/business in this manner.

It's pathetic and disgusting.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Wonder would the Iona institute campaign to have children taken away from divorced or widowed people, sure you need a mummy and daddy for kids to turn out ok

• Registered Users Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭Jimoslimos

A dad is the tenth most popular Christmas present for children
    A "pet horse" was the third most popular choice, with a "car" making an entry at number four.
    Here, a leading figure in the Saint Vincent de Paul has said that absence of fathers in the lives of children is set to cause “huge problems".
    Not as big a problem as depriving children of a pet horse apparently!
    A poll carried out in 2008 found that a ban on divorce is what most children would introduce if they ruled the world.

Marital splits were also named the second-worst thing in the world in the survey of under-10s.

http://www.ionainstitute.ie/index.php?id=2582

Iona Institute...Seems legit:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭Icyseanfitz

**** it thats some more brain cells gone down the toilet, is that ****e actually going on tv? what am i saying of course it is its ireland

• Registered Users Posts: 10,745 ✭✭✭✭Pudsy33

Is there any complaints at this article on their website?

I would say any kids who asked for a dad for Christmas were in a single parent family after the break up of a relationship, not fin a loving family with 2 mothers.

That article isn't promoting what the Iona institute are in the video, almost the opposite. It says “There is a great need for children to have both parents", that doesn't mean biological parents nor does it suggest the gender of the parents.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭SimonTemplar

The whole premise of this ad is that children require a mother and a father to have a proper childhood. What about children who were raised by a single parent because the other parent died when they were a very young age? Is the ad implying that these children were not raised properly?

Also, there are plently of psychos, social misfits and addics who were raised by a mother and a father, and there are also plenly of well rounded happy people who were raised in single sex marriages.

I guessing the local sewage workers are going to have to work overtime to deal with all the bull**** that is flowing freely from the Iona Institute.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭Jimoslimos

efb wrote: »
    What?
    Am I anti-gay because I would rather my kids were involved in hetrosexual relationships?

Yes that makes you homophobic. If you preferred your children to have relationships with only those of the same colour that would be racist.

Luckily my parents are not.
    I have to tentatively agree with spike here. Having a preference doesn't make you homophobic. Actively discriminating against others because of your preferences does however.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,145 ✭✭✭DonkeyStyle \o/

The discrimination must live on, for the children's sake... :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 976 ✭✭✭unseenfootage

efb wrote: »
    Yes that makes you homophobic. If you preferred your children to have relationships with only those of the same colour that would be racist.

Luckily my parents are not.

How on earth do you equate interacial marriages with homosexual ones?

There is absolutely no basis for comparison.

Every person has a right to preserve his lineage.

• Registered Users Posts: 976 ✭✭✭unseenfootage

I am not sure why this issue of racism has crept into the debate.

Homosexuals are not exactly free from discrimination and bigotry.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/marten-weber/gay-racism_b_1295368.html
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/2010/jun/02/gay-lesbian-islamophobia

• Registered Users Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭Sinfonia

Why?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 93 ✭✭Froyo

The whole premise of this ad is that children require a mother and a father to have a proper childhood. What about children who were raised by a single parent because the other parent died when they were a very young age? Is the ad implying that these children were not raised properly?.

I don't think this is a very good argument.

The child will be brought up with the memory of a loving parent that 'left' through no choice of his own as opposed to one who simply abandoned that child.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

...don't know what ye mean there, tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,704 ✭✭✭squod

Nodin wrote: »
    ...don't know what ye mean there, tbh.

Maybe his dad was a lesbian, and his father before him!

No, wait...........

• Closed Accounts Posts: 209 ✭✭spikethedog

**** it thats some more brain cells gone down the toilet, is that ****e actually going on tv? what am i saying of course it is its ireland

It's not on TV.
    Want to withdraw that comment?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 93 ✭✭Froyo

Sinfonia wrote: »
    Why?

Because it might be something they want and it's their right to want that. Don't see how this infringes on gay rights...

A lot of families are proud of their lineage. No big deal really.

The whole premise of this ad is that children require a mother and a father to have a proper childhood.

In an ideal world, they do.
    It's not an ideal world.

Jimoslimos wrote: »
    I have to tentatively agree with spike here. Having a preference doesn't make you homophobic. Actively discriminating against others because of your preferences does however.

Thank you. That's the point I was making.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 65 ✭✭brosy

It is actually so soul destroying to know that these people still exist in frightening numbers in my own country. There is absolutely no excuse whatsoever for harbouring such revolting medieval views.

Absolutely horrific.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,039 ✭✭✭Hilly Bill

The whole premise of this ad is that children require a mother and a father to have a proper childhood. What about children who were raised by a single parent because the other parent died when they were a very young age? Is the ad implying that these children were not raised properly?

Also, there are plently of psychos, social misfits and addics who were raised by a mother and a father, and there are also plenly of well rounded happy people who were raised in single sex marriages.

I guessing the local sewage workers are going to have to work overtime to deal with all the bull**** that is flowing freely from the Iona Institute.

There are plenty of well rounded people raised by a mother and father as well. Why leave that out of your post? Do you know for sure that every child raised by gays have grown up happy and havent turned out as psychos, social misfits and addicts? Maybe those sewage workers should start with your post.

Pesronally i see nothing wrong in the ad. I cant see it being anti-gay. There is too much being read into it by those that seem to be offended by it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,327 ✭✭✭Madam_X

Much as I loathe the Iona Institute, I'm not sure that ad is anti-gay. I think it's definitely a bit kneejerk to view it with absolute horror.
    Just taking the ad at face value, it is anti gay marriage for sure, but it is not anti civil partnership or anti-gay (not saying the I.I. isn't full of rampant homophobes - I'm sure it is - but that ad by itself recognises same-sex partnership, to be fair). It is just expressing the view that marriage should specifically be between a man and woman, because this union is likely to result in children. I don't agree with that - I think marriage is just a word for a union which brings with it familial and legal ties, the same as civil partnership.
    However some people think marriage is more than just a word but a unique institution - some people passionately believe it, including people who are level-headed and fair and not because they think "the gays are icky".

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement