Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New "anti-gay" commercial

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 51,652 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Daith wrote: »
    Gay people can adopt in Ireland. However only a single gay person can adopt. Meaning that in a couple only one parent would have rights to the child.

This ad would want this to continue instead of full marriage rights for same sex couples and full parental rights for the couple.

Leaving the child in a "unique" situation if one parent died all to preserve the special bond of marriage.

But that video didn't say that at all. They stated their ideal position.
    Where do you see that?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭tara73

just to give a bit of perspective, do people know here homosexuality is happening in the animal kingdom?
    geese, monkeys and other animals are known to live in homosexuality.
    so it is a normal mood of nature and nothing imaginery from some crazy human beings.

I don't see any reason why gay people shouldn't marry if it makes them happy.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,946 ✭✭✭Daith

But that video didn't say that at all. They stated their ideal position.
    Where do you see that?

"Why can't two men and two women who love each other get married? Isn't it discrimination? No".

So they won't to see same sex couples marrying which leaves kids who have same sex parents in an "unique" situation especially if one parent dies.

"Why can't two men and two women who love each other get married? Isn't it discrimination? No".

So they won't to see same sex couples marrying which leaves kids who have same sex parents in an "unique" situation especially if one parent dies.

Where did they say that on the video?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,863 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Why would two gay people getting married make anyone else feel threatened?

Cos the bloke in the dress said so.

Or cos it's in the big book that promotes murder and other stuff.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭okioffice84

Bwaaa ha ha ha ha ha.
    People like these are on the way out. They must feel it in the pits of their stomachs at this stage. Oh well.

Say what? "Why can't two men and two women get married?" Go back and watch it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,940 ✭✭✭Corkfeen

Its the opening lines.

• Registered Users Posts: 41,054 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

What exactly do you think was the purpose of the video?

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 6,039 ✭✭✭Hilly Bill

Gay people can adopt in Ireland. However only a single gay person can adopt. Meaning that in a couple only one parent would have rights to the child.

This ad would want this to continue instead of full marriage rights for same sex couples and full parental rights for the couple.

Leaving the child in a "unique" situation if one parent died all to preserve the special bond of marriage.

The Ad didnt say anything about the rights of a gay couple so why make it out that it does?

• Advertisement

There is no discrimination in that ad. Stop trying to make something out of nothing .

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

The video promotes their idea of an "ideal" family.
    They didn't comment on or criticize unmarried mothers, gay partnerships or any other form of relationship. They just stated what they consider as ideal and best for children.
    I didn't see anything much wrong with it and I support gay marriage and adoption.

The video is made by the Iona Institute. A right wing conservative Catholic "think-tank" masquerading as a charity. Cast you mind back to how this country was run under the Catholic church and you have some idea how these individuals would love to operate. Their mouth piece David Quinn is a nasty enough price of work to show that. The video is merely the sugar coated version of their fundamentalist beliefs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

The one thing I would say though is Ireland in 2012/13 is not Ireland in 1983 nor is it the USA.

I'm not sure that an advert like that would have very much traction with the vast majority of the population and may actually end up backfiring entirely.

The bigger risk here is that the liberal majority may not bother voting. Or, that the wording of the referendum will be so complicated that it confuses people to a stage that they don't know what they're voting for / against. This has been the case with various other referenda in the past.

Hilly Bill wrote: »
    The Ad didnt say anything about the rights of a gay couple so why make it out that it does?

Well because it does. "Why can't two men and two women who love each get married. Is that discrimination? No!"

Marriage provides a set of rights. By saying gay people shouldn't get married cos their unique situation it says they shouldn't have the rights that a straight couple should.

Say what? "Why can't two men and two women get married?" Go back and watch it.

They said it's not discrimination to treat different people in different situations differently and that all couples deserve the protection of the law. They said that only a man and a woman can make new life and that only a man and a woman can be a mum and a dad. That children have a right to a mum and a dad.

It is their position at the Iona Institute. They are entitled to hold their own views.

There is no discrimination in that ad. Stop trying to make something out of nothing .

It says that gay people shouldn't get married. I'm not buying their "it's not discrimination" and gay people are in a "unique situation" crap.
    It is their position at the Iona Institute. They are entitled to hold their own views.

I didn't say they weren't entitled to either.

What exactly do you think was the purpose of the video?

To state their views on marriage of course, which they are entitled to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭LiffeyValleyB

*Crosses iona institute off christmas card list*

Which is also gay people shouldn't get married? That's their view isn't?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭ITS_A_BADGER

In fairness now man, they made an argument disguising the discrimination by calling it unique look at the video again and think about that while you watch it

• Advertisement

It says that gay people shouldn't get married. I'm not buying their "it's not discrimination" and gay people are in a "unique situation" crap.

It doesnt say that they Shouldnt get married, you are reading too much into it.They have only made an ad based on their own views which sounds like the views of the churches. The op has done more to promote this ad than the makers of the ad themselves seeing that its not on the telly.
    Would an ad promoting gay marriage be discrimination against straight people? No it wouldnt.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

Jimoslimos wrote: »
    I have to tentatively agree with spike here. Having a preference doesn't make you homophobic. Actively discriminating against others because of your preferences does however.

So does it make you a little bit homophobic?

If you don't treat as equal (preference being a soft word) people of all ethnicities you ARE racist

If you don't treat people as equal of all sexual persuasions you are homo/hetroohobic

Saying I prefer a male boss to a female boss is sexist
    Saying you'd prefer your son to be straight is homophobic
    Sayingi you'd prefer your son to marry a white girl is racist

You don't have to be gay bashing or burning crosses to be homophobic or rascist

It doesnt say that they Shouldnt get married, you are reading too much into it.They have only made an ad based on their own views which sounds like the views of the churches. The op has done more to promote this ad than the makers of the ad themselves seeing that its not on the telly.
    Would an ad promoting gay marriage be discrimination against straight people? No it wouldnt.

An ad saying gay marriage is better than straight marriage would be unfair, unequal and incorrect too

Preserve linage- are the Dutch monarchy on boards now...?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭ITS_A_BADGER

I am a straight man, I am not pro or against gay marriage, However i would like to see them have the right to get married like anybody else, why not like? people seem to have a weak argument against it, give me a reason why they shouldn't?
    and before someone uses an argument about them adopting children, As long as the child is loved and has his/her needs met by the parents does it matter who adopts them, the child is being loved and cared for by a family

It doesnt say that they Shouldnt get married, you are reading too much into it.

They say it's not discrimination that gay people can't marry though. I disagree. Ok?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭Liamario

What I find really disturbing is the production quality of the video. Who's going to want to use an anti-gay propaganda video on their CV.

Which is also gay people shouldn't get married? That's their view isn't?

I have listened to it several times now and the only mention of gay couples was that everyone in a loving relationship deserve the protection of the law.
    They see marriage between a man and a woman as unique.

Again that is their position and they are entitled to hold their views. They have the right to freedom of speech as do groups like Youth Defence who I detest.

I agree with gay marriage and adoption by the way.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭statesaver

May of been asked already but . . . . . . . .

Who funds the Iona Institute ?

• Advertisement

I have listened to it several times now and the only mention of gay couples was that everyone in a loving relationship deserve the protection of the law.

It also says it's not discrimination that gay people can't marry. They're just in a different situation.

"Why can't two men and two women who love each get married. Is that discrimination? No!"

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement