Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New "anti-gay" commercial

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 209 ✭✭spikethedog

Sinfonia wrote: »
    Whether or not a child is best taken care of by a father and a mother bears no relation to the idea that only a man and a woman can make new life.

The State is stopping same-sex couples from getting married.
    The supporters of that are using (in this video) the argument that because only a man and a woman can make new life, only opposite-sex couples should be allowed to marry; this doesn't make any sense, as marriage and rearing a child are not the same thing, nor are they necessarily linked to one another.

Is it?
    I know 2 gay couples that got married last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,090 ✭✭✭jill_valentine

Is it?

No you don't. Certainly not in this country.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,941 ✭✭✭Daith

Is it?

Not in Ireland. And if they did it was a Civil Partnership and not marriage.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,158 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

How is that 'anti-gay'?
    It's pro-hetro-sexual.
    Because an advert is 'pro' something, doesn't automatically make it 'anti' something else.
    People are easily offended.

So it's pro hetrosexual marriage? They're actually campaigning for the rights of straight people to get married?

Don't they already have those rights? And i don't think anyone is proposing a law that straight people shouldn't be able to get married so it's not like it's in danger.

mikom wrote: »
    It might affect your son or daughter though.

Hopefully not.

• Advertisement

Hopefully not.

There we go.

Grayson wrote: »
    So it's pro hetrosexual marriage? They're actually campaigning for the rights of straight people to get married?

Don't they already have those rights? And i don't think anyone is proposing a law that straight people shouldn't be able to get married so it's not like it's in danger.

They're stating what they believe.
    Are they not allowed do that?

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

They're stating what they believe.

Yes, and others are allowed to oppose that, wahey welcome to a democracy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭e_e

Yes, just like others are allowed to call them out on their bull****.

There we go.

What?
    Am I anti-gay because I would rather my kids were involved in hetrosexual relationships?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,512 ✭✭✭baby and crumble

What?
    Am I anti-gay because I would rather my kids were involved in hetrosexual relationships?

Emm, kinda. Yeah.

e_e wrote: »
    Yes, just like others are allowed to call them out on their bull****.

The joys of living in a democracy lads and lassies.

What?

I don't think so. However if you did have a gay kid would you want to see them married if they wanted?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭ZombieBride

"Only a man and a woman can make new life" FACT.

You can make a baby using two eggs, and the wonders of science. So a man and a woman, or a woman and a woman can make a new life. FACT. :cool:

Emm, kinda. Yeah.

Why?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

What?

Yes that makes you homophobic. If you preferred your children to have relationships with only those of the same colour that would be racist.

Luckily my parents are not.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,158 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

Again, how are they restricting the freedom of others?
    They're stating their position.

If i interpret your argument correctly, stating that marriage should only be between a man and a woman is not discriminating against gays.

So stating that only straight people should serve in the minitary is actually not anti gay either.

Stating that only men should be allowed to vote is not therefore discriminatory towards women. Cos if it were a discriminatory statement, so is the first one.

Daith wrote: »
    I don't think so. However if you did have a gay kid would you want to see them married if they wanted?

If they wanted to, yes.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,067 ✭✭✭✭wp_rathead

"Only a man and a woman can make new life" FACT.

Unless your the Virgin Mary ofcourse:pac:

efb wrote: »
    Yes that makes you homophobic. If you preferred your children to have relationships with only those of the same colour that would be racist.

Luckily my parents are not.

No it doesn't and no it wouldn't.

• Advertisement

If they wanted to, yes.

Yes but they couldn't unless a referendum passed which you said you wouldn't bother voting in?

So while gay marriage mightn't affect you now, it could very well do so down the line.

wprathead wrote: »
    Unless your the Virgin Mary ofcourse:pac:

She was no virgin from what I heard:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

I've quite a few gay friends and if they wanted to get married i'd have no problem going to the wedding and sharing the day with them, but the argument that if a man and a woman love each other and they can get married why can't 2 men or 2 women is a bit weak to me.

What if i fall in love with 2 women?? Should the 3 of us be able to get married?? Surely its discriminatory if not?? Or if like the german case a brother and sister fall in love, is it not discriminatory to stop them?? Just because they are related their rights are diluted??

• Registered Users Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭not yet

deisedude wrote: »
    Those voiceover artists should be ashamed of themselves. Anything for a quick buck

You for real...............

These voice over artists are more then likely unemployed actors who have not worked in months, but yet you feel you can use words like ''quick buck''. You seem to think these people support this ad...

I've quite a few gay friends and if they wanted to get married i'd have no problem going to the wedding and sharing the day with them, but the argument that if a man and a woman love each other and they can get married why can't 2 men or 2 women is a bit weak to me.

What if i fall in love with 2 women?? Should the 3 of us be able to get married?? Surely its discriminatory if not?? Or if like the german case a brother and sister fall in love, is it not discriminatory to stop them?? Just because they are related their rights are diluted??

I fcking hate this argument. It's only a step removed from "If two men can get married why can't I get married to my goat"

If you want to marry two women, start campaigning for it. Same if you want to marry you brother or sister or whatever. Provided it's not illegal of course.

The issue is separate from same sex marriage.

No it doesn't and no it wouldn't.

On what grounds???

It's not the job of gay people to argue for or against those other cases. Making the argument about those things rather than the matter at hand is a feeble tactic.

If you see no reason why two men or two women can't get married, then you don't understand why a man and a woman can get married.

efb wrote: »
    On what grounds???

Look up the words homophobic and racist.
    You will find that I am neither.
    Because I would prefer one thing doesn't make me anti another.

Look up the words homophobic and racist.
    You will find that I am neither.
    Because I would prefer one thing doesn't make me anti another.

Not treating them as equal and judged on their own merits is racist/homophobic

I

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

Daith wrote: »
    I fcking hate this argument. It's only a step removed from "If two men can get married why can't I get married to my goat"

If you want to marry two women, start campaigning for it. Same if you want to marry you brother or sister or whatever. Provided it's not illegal of course.

The issue is separate from same sex marriage.

A goat cannot talk or make its feelings known. I'd imagine you hate this argument because it belittles your one?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement