Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New "anti-gay" commercial

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 976 ✭✭✭unseenfootage

Sinfonia wrote: »
    Why?

Procreation is part of our natural inclination. We do it for the continuation of human life. It is therefore inevitable to be against anything that is seen as a threat to this norm.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,704 ✭✭✭squod

Hilly Bill wrote: »
    There are plenty of well rounded people raised by a mother and father as well. Why leave that out of your post? Do you know for sure that every child raised by gays have grown up happy and havent turned out as psychos, social misfits and addicts? Maybe those sewage workers should start with your post.

Pesronally i see nothing wrong in the ad. I cant see it being anti-gay. There is too much being read into it by those that seem to be offended by it.

Shhhhhhhhhh. Being right on is what's important.

Gay ✓
    Religious x

• Registered Users Posts: 4,946 ✭✭✭Daith

Procreation is part of our natural inclination. We do it for the continuation of human life. It is therefore inevitable to be against anything that is seen as a threat to this norm.

Why would two gay people getting married make anyone else feel threatened?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

....do us a favour there and tell me how somebody gay marrying stops you (or anyone else so inclined) procreating.

• Registered Users Posts: 756 ✭✭✭Laneyh

What a load of patronising drivel.

• Advertisement

Nodin wrote: »
    ....do us a favour there and tell me how somebody gay marrying stops you (or anyone else so inclined) procreating.

If my only son or daughter was homosexual then that's the end of the line for my genes, I guess. On the family level, it is counterproductive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭hoodwinked

but why be against something that is a threat to the norm?

the norm has changed so much in recent years,

it used be the norm that every child would be at mass every sunday/religious holiday,

it used be the norm that single mothers were shunned,

it used be the norm that women would quit work and stay at home minding the children,

it used be the norm that women weren't allowed vote,

we constantly change the norm, why be against those changes now?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,960 ✭✭✭DarkJager

The people behind that commercial should be sterilised before they breed any equally retarded ****wits in to this world.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

If my only son or daughter was homosexual then that's the end of the line for my genes, I guess. On the family level, it is counterproductive.

.....given that they're going to be gay irrespective of whether gay marriage is legal or not, I'm not seeing the relevance....

• Registered Users Posts: 588 ✭✭✭cometogether

Yeah but its not as if not being able to marry will turn them heterosexual!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 579 ✭✭✭cartell_best

Something that has stayed with me and that will probably stay with me to the day I die, is the following from a film (Philadelphia):

"In this courtroom, Mr Miller, justice is blind to matters of race, creed, colour, religion, and sexual orientation.

Joe Miller: With all due respect, your honour, we don't live in this courtroom, do we?"

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

Nevermind if they're gay, what if they use contraception?

If your son or daughter was infertile and had to adopt it would be the same thing. If the continuation of your genes was that important it would be counterproductive to have one child anyway.

Again it's nothing to do with two other people getting married.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭hoodwinked

if your daughter is a homosexual she can still choose to have a child via sperm donation...etc

a homosexual son can still find a surrogate, or a partner with a child already, (and if this is the case how would you feel if after living with his partner and child for 12 years when his partner should die and your son would lose custody of his child as he is not a guardian due to not being married to his partner)

many hetrosexual only children decide not to have children (or cannot have children)

5uspect wrote: »
    Nevermind if they're gay, what if the use contraception?

I'm not against contraception but of course parents encourage their children at a young age to start families.
    Daith wrote: »
    If your son or daughter was infertile and had to adopt it would be the same thing.

I am not so sure if it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,167 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

I think gay people should be allowed in Ireland, so I do.

Why not?

[QUOTE=unseenfootage;82434032I am not so sure if it is.[/QUOTE]

Yes, it is! Both are due to circumstances that cannot be helped by the person, where is the difference?

I'm not against contraception but of course parents encourage their children at a young age to start families.

Do they? Fewer and fewer in the developed world are having children.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Fr_Dougal wrote: »

To hell or to Connaught!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭jaffacakesyum

Im 21 and have not been encouraged yet. Your sons/daughters dont 'owe' you grandchildren. I dont get why people have such high opinions of themselves and their genes that carrying on the family line is absolutely necessary.

How is being infertile, or simply being straight and not wanting children or simply adopting any different to your son/daughter being gay and not able to recreate?

hoodwinked wrote: »
    if your daughter is a homosexual she can still choose to have a child via sperm donation...etc

Every child has the right to know their father.
    a homosexual son can still find a surrogate,

and his mother.

(and if this is the case how would you feel if after living with his partner and child for 12 years when his partner should die and your son would lose custody of his child as he is not a guardian due to not being married to his partner)

no idea, what you are trying to say...

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Because once gay marriage is legal straight people will start turning gay?

Gay people are around like, now, I've seen some and everything. If they can marry then that means...actually nothing for straight people, like not a thing.

sure who's having all these gay babies? straight people! stop straight marriage, it only breeds gay babies.

Glad we cleared that up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭e_e

Fr_Dougal wrote: »
    Oh right yeah.

and his mother.

Yeah, you're right, we should ban sexual promiscuity and all adoptions then, good idea that.

and his mother.

no idea, what you are trying to say...

Neither do I. I can only guess if your son was infertile and adopted you wouldn't be happy.

I don't know what it has to do with gay marriage though.

• Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭Haelium

That's actually quite a reasonable video which doesn't seem to contain any bigotry or malice. They simply view marriage as an institution for people who wish to make a family, that's not my view, but they are entitled to disagree with me.

Take your head out of your arse and provide a reason for why this video is so reprehensible.

Haelium wrote: »
    That's actually quite a reasonable video which doesn't seem to contain any bigotry or malice. They simply view marriage as an institution for people who wish to make a family, that's not my view, but they are entitled to disagree with me.

Take your head out of your arse and provide a reason for why this video is so reprehensible.

I didn't realise marriage had become a license to make babies?
    Does that mean we should take children away from unmarried mothers? Oh wait...

• Registered Users Posts: 51,652 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

5uspect wrote: »
    I didn't realise marriage had become a license to make babies?
    Does that mean we should take children away from unmarried mothers? Oh wait...

The video promotes their idea of an "ideal" family.
    They didn't comment on or criticize unmarried mothers, gay partnerships or any other form of relationship. They just stated what they consider as ideal and best for children.
    I didn't see anything much wrong with it and I support gay marriage and adoption.

• Advertisement

Haelium wrote: »

Gay people can adopt in Ireland. However only a single gay person can adopt. Meaning that in a couple only one parent would have rights to the child.

This ad would want this to continue instead of full marriage rights for same sex couples and full parental rights for the couple.

Leaving the child in a "unique" situation if one parent died all to preserve the special bond of marriage.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement