Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New "anti-gay" commercial

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 209 ✭✭spikethedog

efb wrote: »
    Not treating them as equal and judged on their own merits is racist/homophobic

I

Where did I say anything about doing that?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,941 ✭✭✭Daith

A goat cannot talk or make its feelings known. I'd imagine you hate this argument because it belittles your one?

No. I'm saying the argument of same sex marriage is different to others you mentioned like marrying your brother or sister. Or two people.

They're separate issues. As I said if you want to marry your sister or two women, start campaigning yourself.

If you think that same sex couples are the same as two siblings in a relationship well that's you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

efb wrote: »
    Yes that makes you homophobic. If you preferred your children to have relationships with only those of the same colour that would be racist.

In Ireland a mixed marriage has nothing to do with race

Protestant and Catholic :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

Daith wrote: »
    No. I'm saying the argument of same sex marriage is different to others you mentioned like marrying your brother or sister. Or two people.

They're separate issues. As I said if you want to marry your sister or two women, start campaigning yourself.

How is it different?? The argument for gay marriage is that if they love each other why can't 2 men or 2 women get married. My argument is that if 3 people love each other why can't they get married. Exactly the same, if they love each other, argument.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭Prodigious

Sar_Bear wrote: »
    What... What is that utter shit?!

I know alot of kids who would be better off with two mams or two dads instead of the shitty parents they have now.

You don't know that they would be. Gay marriage and gay parents are completely different things.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,812 ✭✭✭Precious flower

That ad was infuriating to watch but I suppose everyone should be allowed to express their opinion, people have really already made up their minds where they stand before watching even that advert.

How is it different?? The argument for gay marriage is that if they love each other why can't 2 men or 2 women get married. My argument is that if 3 people love each other why can't they get married. Exactly the same, if they love each other, argument.

The argument for gay marriage is that two non related people of either gender should be able to get married.

You are the one with a different argument of three people getting married and siblings getting married. Which isn't the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,341 ✭✭✭tara73

to clarify, is this little spot only on their website or is it shown on tv as well?

the latter would be really bad...

fact is, every individual is entitled to their own opinion. that won't change and what is right or acceptable for some is wrong or inacceptable for others. as long as there's no

where it's getting dodgy and uptight is when organisations like this starting to go public, trying to convince the public and condemn everything which they consider 'not right'.

so for me it would be really relevant if this spot is shown on tv, declared on the radio etc.
    if not, they just show their opinion on their website and mostly only people who are in one way or another are interested in their opinion or heard about them will see it.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,849 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

Methememb wrote: »

You don't know that they would be. Gay marriage and gay parents are completely different things.

Looking at the streets of Dublin and the state of some families, same sex marriages can't do any worst than them.

Video said marriages is to encourage having kids. So it promotes scum and druggies to have kids and give the kids no chance.

No wonder society is screwed.

The argument for gay marriage is that two non related people of either gender should be able to get married.

You are the one with a different argument of three people getting married and siblings getting married. Which isn't the same.

Why should 2 people of the same gender be allowed get married, in your eyes??

• Advertisement

tara73 wrote: »
    to clarify, is this little spot only on their website or is it shown on tv as well?

the latter would be really bad...

fact is, every individual is entitled to their own opinion. that won't change and what is right or acceptable for some is wrong or inacceptable for others. as long as there's no

where it's getting dodgy and uptight is when organisations like this starting to go public, trying to convince the public and condemn everything which they consider 'not right'.

so for me it would be really relevant if this spot is shown on tv, declared on the radio etc.
    if not, they just show their opinion on their website and mostly only people who are in one way or another are interested in their opinion or heard about them will see it.

Spot on, although I didn't see any condemnation in that video.

Why should 2 people of the same gender be allowed get married, in your eyes??

Well homosexuality is not illegal. Ireland already provides Civil Partnership for same sex couples. Marriage would only give the same rights as heterosexual couples. It would allow same sex couples that have adopted a child to have full rights for each parent for that child. It would treat same sex couples with the same rights as hetrosexual couples.

A straight guy can't marry two women. A gay guy can't marry two men. A straight guy can't marry his sister. A gay girl can't marry her sister. Yet a straight person can marry another straight person that they are not related to. A gay person can not do this.

My question to you is why do you want to marry your sister?

Looking at the streets of Dublin and the state of some families, same sex marriages can't do any worst than them.

Video said marriages is to encourage having kids. So it promotes scum and druggies to have kids and give the kids no chance.

No wonder society is screwed.

In your eyes this video promotes 'scum & druggies' to have kids and give those kids no chance?
    Aren't you supposed to be tolerant ones?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,067 ✭✭✭✭wp_rathead

I've quite a few gay friends and if they wanted to get married i'd have no problem going to the wedding and sharing the day with them, but the argument that if a man and a woman love each other and they can get married why can't 2 men or 2 women is a bit weak to me.

What if i fall in love with 2 women?? Should the 3 of us be able to get married?? Surely its discriminatory if not?? Or if like the german case a brother and sister fall in love, is it not discriminatory to stop them?? Just because they are related their rights are diluted??

ah yes the classic "it is a slippery slope" argument:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,944 ✭✭✭✭Links234

wprathead wrote: »

The problem with slippery slope arguments is, if you believe one, you have to believe them all. ;)

Well homosexuality is not illegal. Ireland already provides Civil Partnership for same sex couples. Marriage would only give the same rights as heterosexual couples. It would allow same sex couples that have adopted a child to have full rights for each parent for that child. It would treat same sex couples with the same rights as hetrosexual couples.

A straight guy can't marry two women. A gay guy can't marry two men. A straight guy can't marry his sister. A gay girl can't marry her sister. Yet a straight person can marry another straight person that they are not related to. A gay person can not do this.

My question to you is why do you want to marry your sister?

At no point did i say "if i wanted to" in reference to any sister i may or may not have. I don't get your argument, your answer to me on why 3 people can't get married is that at the moment 3 straight people can't get married, and thats just how it is. But i'll turn that on you and say that at the moment 2 gay people can't get married, thats just how it is.

wprathead wrote: »

Its not a slippery slope argument, i don't think if gay marriage comes in it will become a free for all, i'm just playing devils advocate. Why should the love of 2 gay people supercede the love of a brother and sister, or 3 people who have fallen in love with each other.

Its not a slippery slope argument, i don't think if gay marriage comes in it will become a free for all, i'm just playing devils advocate. Why should the love of 2 gay people supercede the love of a brother and sister, or 3 people who have fallen in love with each other.

Have you seen the state of my sister?:D

I don't get your argument, your answer to me on why 3 people can't get married is that at the moment 3 straight people can't get married, and thats just how it is.

So campaign for yourself to marry your sisters? Fight for your right!
    But i'll turn that on you and say that at the moment 2 gay people can't get married, thats just how it is.

Yes but people are looking to change that. Homosexuality was illegal in Ireland before 1993. That's how it was. People fought that.

Why should two straight peoples love supersede the love of a brother and sister then? Slippery slope!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,298 ✭✭✭Duggys Housemate

Well, the answer is its up to parliament to decide not the courts. If the courts had decided that gay marriage should be legal then, as a precedent, it may have moved on polygamy.

Am I the only person in favour of gay marriage and the rights of people to oppose it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,161 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

Why is the love of two unrelated gay people worth less than the love of two unrelated straight people?

Straight people cannnot marry their brother or sister. They cannot marry more than one person. And no-one is advocating it. What they are asking for is equality between gay and straight people.

So why do you not think gay people are equal?

Grayson wrote: »

Why is the love of two unrelated gay people worth less than the love of two unrelated straight people?

Straight people cannnot marry their brother or sister. They cannot marry more than one person. And no-one is advocating it. What they are asking for is equality between gay and straight people.

So why do you not think gay people are equal?

Why do you think that someone who wants to marry two people, and they him or her, should not?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,341 ✭✭✭tara73

just leave the brother/sister stuff out here. it's not possible to compare a sister brother love/marriage with gay marriage/love.

as surely everybody knows there's a factual reason why brother and sister shouldn't be in a sexual relationship: big chance of offspring turning out genetically defect.
    this chance is not given in a a gay marriage.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭Lightbulb Sun

You just feel like punching those narrators in the face after watching that.

Why do you think that someone who wants to marry two people, and they him or her, should not?

I actually don't care. I don't see why it always seems to be linked to gay people getting married through?

Straight people have been getting married for ages. I don't see why people who want to marry two other people, seem to be waiting for gay marriage to pass is all.

tara73 wrote: »

just leave the brother/sister stuff out here. it's not possible to compare a sister brother love/marriage with gay marriage/love.

as surely everybody knows there's a factual reason why brother and sister shouldn't be in a sexual relationship: big chance of offspring turning out genetically defect.
    this chance is not given in a a gay marriage.:)

That's not an argument, either. We don't police other genetic problems.

I don't. I think polygamy should be legal. There are all kinds if families and relationships. It takes a lot to make any relationship work and three people manage to find a way to make each other happy then they should go for it. But it's a separate matter to same sex marriage.

I don't believe that brothers and sisters should be allowed. but that's for medical reasons.

As far as gay couples are concerned, i think they should have the same rights as straight people. therefore they should be allowed to get married. they should be allowed adopt. they should be banned from polygamy if straight people are banned from polygamy, and they should be allowed practice polygamy if straight people are.

they are the equals of straight people and should be afforded all the freedoms that straight people are.

I can't think of any practical or logical raeson why they shouldn't be. And no-one has offered any actual rasons why they shouldn't.

Fair enough. However very few people in favour of gay marriage are in favour of polygamy. I am.

That's not an argument, either. We don't police other genetic problems.

So you believe that incesteous relationships should be legal?

• Advertisement

Grayson wrote: »

So you believe that incesteous relationships should be legal?

The question is : why don't you?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement