Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New "anti-gay" commercial

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,068 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

It's not really a 'commercial' is it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,897 ✭✭✭MagicSean

jubella wrote: »
    Can I just ask how would one impose a "gay lifestyle" on children?
    Also, would you have a problem with parents imposing a "straight lifestyle" on children?

Bringing them to gay restaurants and making them wear gay clothes i suppose.

I think the message of this video is clear. A child would be better off with a crack whore mother and drug dealing pimp father than with two gay men who have a stable and loving home.

• Registered Users Posts: 41,001 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Let them have their raison d'être I say. They'll soon die off, all ye have to do is live your life and wait, one day you'll hear that the last of the ionaions has passed and ye'll let out a contented sigh.

Of course but at the same time we should be pointing out the absurdities of their position.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 976 ✭✭✭unseenfootage

token101 wrote: »
    I should ****ing hope so yeah!

How ironical that a "champion" of progressiveness express himself in such a backward manner.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Are they only idiots if they don't agree with your opinions?

For the record I have nothing against two gays getting married and adopting kids but I also think that the mother and father thing is best.
    While I'd agree the ideal scenario is for a child to have both male and female parents so they can learn to deal with both sexes but there's very few scenes in life where we get to live the ideal and we're very good at adapting to alternatives. I think over all the benefits are negligible.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

mikom wrote: »
    Do you know that this group is a registered charity?
    Whats your point?

What does this lobby group or think tank do that counts as a charity?

Gonna release my own retro ad, then apply for charity status.........

• Registered Users Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭Call Me Jimmy

Of course but at the same time we should be pointing out the absurdities of their position.

If ye want, I suppose maybe it isn't obvious to everyone. My point is, they'll keep going (unless they run out of money) until they drop and in the next couple of generations this sorta crap won't even come up.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 510 ✭✭✭LivelineDipso

jubella wrote: »
    Can I just ask how would one impose a "gay lifestyle" on children?
    Also, would you have a problem with parents imposing a "straight lifestyle" on children?

Ah now... Be realistic.

Aren't we all concerned with school bullying as it is.

I know a Gay couple who have no intention of adopting a kid because they have told me. "mother and father is best." and they cite bullying as a real problem for the child - are they homophobic?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,555 ✭✭✭Sar_Bear

Ah now... Be realistic.

I know a Gay couple who have no intention of adopting a kid because they have told me. "mother and father is best." and they cite bullying as a real problem for the child - are they homophobic?

Kids are cruel, most kids are going to get bullied for one reason or another, or no reason at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,111 ✭✭✭ResearchWill

Nothing wrong with this group exercising their free speech.

I am not bothered one way or another by homosexuals getting married and adopting kids once they raise them without purposely imposing Gay lifestyles on them.

I hate to be one who delivers reality to you, but 90% of Irish people would agree with this advertisement.

Just how it is. Getting angry at the ad won't change things.

The problem is that the two 'camps' (pun intented) are devided between religious nutters and poltically correct nutters.

In the middle falls the majority of the Irish nation. These are the ones you need to inflence with calling them bigots.

I hate to deliver reality to you but latest polls disagree with your 90% figure

In fact

"It's hard to understand why that should be so, but at least they're consistent. According to the latest Millward Brown poll for the Sunday Independent, 64 per cent of people in Ireland are in favour of the Government legislating to recognise same-sex marriage, with only 23 per cent against. Heterosexuals aren't selfishly trying to keep the institution to themselves. Getting hitched is such fun they want everyone to have the chance of doing it too, regardless of sexual orientation."

When I went to school 23% was way way less than 90% if they are the same our VAT rate sucks way more than I thought.

http://www.independent.ie/opinion/analysis/eilis-ohanlon-love-and-marriage-go-together-for-gay-and-straight-3338694.html

• Advertisement

Ah now... Be realistic.

How is any of that answering the question you were asked?

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 3,050 ✭✭✭token101

Ah now... Be realistic.

That's their choice. Why should it be imposed on others?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

Ah now... Be realistic.

Well 'this very real gay couple' clearly speak for everyone!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,725 ✭✭✭charlemont

What a pile of ****e, Its like they are talking down to us in the ad as if we were too thick to understand, I understand alright but I couldn't care less, Gay people should be entitled to marry if they so wish..

• Registered Users Posts: 25,068 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

Ah now... Be realistic.

Maybe not homophobic, but they certainly sound as if they're happy enough to allow homophobic ideas dictate how they live their own lives.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,111 ✭✭✭ResearchWill

Ah now... Be realistic.

No of course they are not they are being forced to make a decision by fear of homophobic people's reactions.

BTW if it was a mixed race couple afraid to have a child in case their child was bullied or a white couple afraid to adopt a non white child for the same reason would that be ok.

MagicSean wrote: »
    I think the message of this video is clear. A child would be better off with a crack whore mother and drug dealing pimp father than with two gay men who have a stable and loving home.

Ah now...

There you go with the extremes again.

I have nothing against Gay marraige and adoption. But there are complications and relaities which require mature reflection rather than flying off to extremes.

It's hard enough being a kid in today's world without being raised in a same sex partnership when you read about teen bullying and so on.

I get the impression many Gays want to adopt kids just so they can do it. It's more a statement of their assimilation than the needs of children.

This is not mature.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭ZombieBride

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Ah now... Be realistic.

That's two different viewpoints, it would make me wonder what they actually felt. Maybe they just have no interest in raising a child but bringing up the point the child might be bullied because of the parents shows they have a real fear they'd be introducing a child to the world of hate that's pointed at the gay couple. That reflects badly on society not on the gay couples ability to do the job.

I have no problem with the religious trademarking their marriage ceremony and even the word marriage. As long as the state gives similar rights to straights/gays under the law I don't see what the problem is.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 timzil

To everyone on here complaining about this. what happened to freedom of opinion, or is that only when it agrees with your own. People like ye are extremely closed minded and ye don't even know it. I am in favour of gay marriage myself but I would like to see fair and open debate on the matter not just the typical "knocking job" that comes from the pro side.

Also the argument that it is not anyone's business is nonsense, how our society is run is everyone's business

• Advertisement

No of course they are not they are being forced to make a decision by fear of homophobic people's reactions.

and this is why I respect them for it. They have both been victims of genuine homophobia and understand it is a nasty world out there.

They are thinking of the child and not themselves. I find that honourable.

I am not bothered one way or another by homosexuals getting married and adopting kids once they raise them without purposely imposing Gay lifestyles on them.
    Basically you really are bothered by it

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

"Every child ever had a mum and dad"

except y'know..Jesus.

Really though thats just sickening sh1te, bigotry masquerading as concern for childrens wellbeing. the Iona institute and Youth Defence care not a jot about kids once they're born

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,940 ✭✭✭Corkfeen

How ironical that a "champion" of progressiveness express himself in such a backward manner.

You're doing some goal post moving to be fair. You initially claimed that it was backward to criticise the video, then you asked for why the views were backward. Now you've updated to why does society need to progress. To be blunt, the rights of an individual should not be limited due to religious tradition. If society chose not to progress; slavery, bans on interracial marriage, bans on homosexuality, bans on divorce and contraceptives(latter three are particular to Ireland) would still be common in the first world. So progression tends to be a necessity in society.

The rest of the first world have started to recognise that same sex couples should have the right to marry. Its only a matter of time before Ireland allows it and there doesn't appear to be any reason to stand in it's way. Do you have any actual objections to it or are you gonna keep asking questions?

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,990 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

I get the impression many Gays want to adopt kids just so they can do it. It's more a statement of their assimilation than the needs of children.
    Where do you get this impression? Because I've never heard any gay person ever who wants to do it "because they can". They want children for the same reason as most others do.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

timzil wrote: »
    To everyone on here complaining about this. what happened to freedom of opinion, or is that only when it agrees with your own. People like ye are extremely closed minded and ye don't even know it. I am in favour of gay marriage myself but I would like to see fair and open debate on the matter not just the typical "knocking job" that comes from the pro side.

Also the argument that it is not anyone's business is nonsense, how our society is run is everyone's business

The problem with anti-gay marriage reasons is there are no valid ones. Not one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,704 ✭✭✭squod

MagicSean wrote: »

?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭housetypeb

As a widower, I am somewhat dismayed that the local Christians are not supplying voluptuous maidens for my consideration, as they seem to be under the impression that it takes a mommy and daddy to raise children.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,097 ✭✭✭Herb Powell

Froyo wrote: »
    They are making A point, which they are fully entitled to do.

Getting a bit tired of 'it's OK to express your view as long add it's to a similar belief system as mine'. Usually trotted out by people telling others they should just accept everything.

Now, maybe they should in some instances, but attacking them is not always the way to go about it.

I couldn't care less about marriage of any kind personally.
    Are they only idiots if they don't agree with your opinions?

For the record I have nothing against two gays getting married and adopting kids but I also think that the mother and father thing is best.

For fucck sake.

My point was they are saying nothing of substance. It is nothing to do with me oposing their freedom of expression. It is my using MY freedom of expression to point out what they are saying is dangerous, and totally bolloccks.

Gay marriage and gay adoption are 2 separate issues, why are the Iona Institute lumping them both together in one video? To confuse and sway people with their emotive bullshiit. It makes it seem like this will have a huge effect on society, when really gay people getting married makes little or no difference to the VAST majority of people.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,205 ✭✭✭Benny_Cake

Ah now...

There you go with the extremes again.

I have nothing against Gay marraige and adoption. But there are complications and relaities which require mature reflection rather than flying off to extremes.

It's hard enough being a kid in today's world without being raised in a same sex partnership when you read about teen bullying and so on.

This is not mature.

Do you know just how long and drawn out the adoption process is? If someone chose to adopt just to make a social statement they'd either be found out fairly quickly or wouldn't be able to handle all the time consuming bureaucracy and would give up. It has to be something you really want to do.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement