Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New "anti-gay" commercial

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 976 ✭✭✭unseenfootage

Corkfeen wrote: »
    But the views that one can hold, can very easily be backwards. To criticise backward views as being backward is actually more of a sign of progression. For example, I can safely say that the KKK hold backward views, can I not?

Not every view holds the same amount of weight and the IONA institute's views tend to hold no weight whatsoever, the IONA institute's view in this regard is bigoted, they merely attempt to come across as balanced but they are most definitely not.

Are those views backward?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,473 ✭✭✭R0ot

mikemac1 wrote: »
    our opinion?

Do you speak for us all? :confused:

Yes, now bow before me pleb!*

*This is just my opinion that I rule you all.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,515 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

I'll see the Iona Institutes bull**** and raise you the glorious Lisa Hannigan.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Nothing backward about expressing your views.

What is backward is to consider such views to be backward.
    That doesn't really make much sense.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

You're being slightly pedantic....

I don't think so

Only one way to decide

Hey OP, give us a poll! :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,528 ✭✭✭jubella

This video makes me sad :(

Sure, everyone is entitled to their views, but I think it's wrong when those views that some people shouldn't have the right to marry the person they love are given a public platform.

• Registered Users Posts: 904 ✭✭✭Drakares

Look at the other videos uploaded by OnKneesforJesus4.. Hahahah

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

Nothing backward about expressing your views.

What is backward is to consider such views to be backward.

Oh really..........

• Registered Users Posts: 51,580 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

That is why it is so fuccked up. Idiots will think they actually make a good point, and agree with them.

This is shiit.

Are they only idiots if they don't agree with your opinions?

For the record I have nothing against two gays getting married and adopting kids but I also think that the mother and father thing is best.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,555 ✭✭✭Sar_Bear

What... What is that utter shit?!

I know alot of kids who would be better off with two mams or two dads instead of the shitty parents they have now.

• Advertisement

mikom wrote: »
    Quote for advert: Every child ever born had a mother and a father.

Where does that leave the baby jesus?

By the way folks, here are the iona institute patrons as listed on their website....

Professor Patricia Casey: Patricia Casey is a senior consultant psychiatrist at the Mater Hospital in Dublin, as well as a lecturer at University College, Dublin.

Breda O'Brien: Breda O'Brien is a teacher and a columnist with The Irish Times. She is best known for her commentary on religious and social affairs.

Fergus O'Donoghue SJ: Fr O'Donoghue is a Jesuit. He is the Editor of Studies, a quarterly journals dealing with matters of religion and culture. Prior to becoming Editor of Studies, he was a lecturer in Church history at Milltown Institute.

Dr James Sheehan: James Sheehan is founder of the Blackrock, Galway Clinics and Hermitage Clinics, private medical facilities which operate according to a Catholic ethos.

Vincent Twomey: Fr Twomey is a member of the Divine Word Missionaries. He was professor of moral theology at St Patrick's College, Maynooth, until 2006. He is one of Ireland's foremost experts in Catholic moral theology.

I suggest you do your research on these patrons.

I am not interested in the "baby Jesus" thing at all as I am not a bit religious.
    I don't care who the patrons are either.
    I gave my own opinion as I saw it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,940 ✭✭✭Corkfeen

Are those views backward?

They want to limit the rights to equality of a group of people because their religion does not support it. That hardly constitutes a progressive viewpoint. Same sex couples are as good parents as any, studies have proven this so their points are moot. Their entire argument boils down to, 'Won't somebody please think of the children?'. They are required to be extremely ignorant of the actual facts or choosing to lie to push their agenda.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Where is the ad running? Is it on t.v.?

I am not interested in the "baby Jesus" thing at all as I am not a bit religious.
    I don't care who the patrons are either.
    I gave my own opinion as I saw it.

I gauged that from the offset.
    That is why I included the word "folks" in my post, as in "By the way folks, here are the iona institute patrons as listed on their website".

• Registered Users Posts: 40,880 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Stheno wrote: »
    Where is the ad running? Is it on t.v.?

Just youtube. It can't be aired on tv because we don't allow political ads on TV

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 510 ✭✭✭LivelineDipso

Nothing wrong with this group exercising their free speech.

I am not bothered one way or another by homosexuals getting married and adopting kids once they raise them without purposely imposing Gay lifestyles on them.

I hate to be one who delivers reality to you, but 90% of Irish people would agree with this advertisement.

Just how it is. Getting angry at the ad won't change things.

The problem is that the two 'camps' (pun intented) are devided between religious nutters and poltically correct nutters.

In the middle falls the majority of the Irish nation. These are the ones you need to inflence with calling them bigots.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,050 ✭✭✭token101

Ally Dick wrote: »
    I couldn't care less if a gay or a lesbian couple want to get married. It's none of my business. I don't understand people who want to make it theirs

This. And this:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 573 ✭✭✭Syllabus

made some interesting points imo

made some retarted points imo

expressed their pov very well imo

imo

Nothing wrong with this group exercising their free speech.

Do you know that this group is a registered charity?

• Registered Users Posts: 976 ✭✭✭unseenfootage

They want to limit the rights to equality of a group of people because their religion does not support it. That hardly constitutes a progressive viewpoint. Same sex couples are as good parents as any, studies have proven this so their points are moot. Their entire argument boils down to, 'Won't somebody please think of the children?'.

Does everything have to be progressive?

• Advertisement

Sar_Bear wrote: »
    What... What is that utter shit?!

I know alot of kids who would be better off with two mams or two dads instead of the shitty parents they have now.

I know two women living together with the children of one of them who are very poor parents too. Sh***y parents are sh***y parents regardless. It does not help the discussion for either side.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,880 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Whats your point?

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

I say more of this sort of thing.

The more utterly ridiculous and bigoted nonsense the Iona institute produces, the less seriously they'll be taken by the population.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,528 ✭✭✭jubella

I am not bothered one way or another by homosexuals getting married and adopting kids once they raise them without purposely imposing Gay lifestyles on them.

Can I just ask how would one impose a "gay lifestyle" on children?
    Also, would you have a problem with parents imposing a "straight lifestyle" on children?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 510 ✭✭✭LivelineDipso

So are many Gay groups dealing with hate crimes, assisting gay teens feeling isolated and AIDS and so on. No problem with any of this.

But comparing anyone who does not gushingly and unconditionally support homosexual marraige and adoption as being akin to the Westboro Baptist Church won't win you any friends either.

That's why most people hate Sinead O'Connor and other politically correct types, student activists, radical feminists and the social workers party: THEY ARE ****.

Apparently there's nothing wrong with that either, which is bollocks. Charities in Ireland are assessed under four criteria: Trusts for the Relief of Poverty, Trusts for the Advancement of Education, Trusts for the Advancement of Religion, Trusts for other purposes beneficial to the community. The third one is a joke. These assholes get tax breaks for essentially promoting veiled hatred of others. It's disgusting really.

Does everything have to be progressive?

I should ****ing hope so yeah!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭hoodwinked

That ad is ridiculous, they cannot say children need a mum and dad to have a happy home,

many children with a mum and dad have **** homes...

many children with two dads or two mum's have better homes then those children.

likewise i know a man who's gay with two children with a woman! so gay men can have children. likewise so can gay women!

the fact of this whole argument is, if i had the right to marry my husband because i loved him then if any male who loves his boyfriend (or female who loves her girlfriend) just as much as that and who want to make that commitment, they should be allowed to also...

at the very least civilly the church is a whole other argument....

• Registered Users Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭Call Me Jimmy

Let them have their raison d'être I say. They'll soon die off, all ye have to do is live your life and wait, one day you'll hear that the last of the ionaions has passed and ye'll let out a contented sigh.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,555 ✭✭✭Sar_Bear

I know two women living together with the children of one of them who are very poor parents too. Sh***y parents are sh***y parents regardless. It does not help the discussion for either side.

The video says kids need a Mam and a Dad, my point was that having conventional parents does not guarantee a child's happiness/safety/well being.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement