Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Had Travellers at my Door Tonight Looking for a Hand-Out

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Millicent wrote: »
    Or that they performed lice checks on those children in front of others?

I went to primary school in the nineties and all children did this

We even had a thread on it in All Things Retro :)
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=80363513
    Further down near the end

Did the public health nurse never visit your school and line you all up?

Can I sue Ruari Quinn for some €€€ :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 17,764 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

WallyGUFC wrote: »
    1) Yes. Plenty of disabled people contribute to society here.
    2) Yes. Plenty of gay people contribute to society here.
    3) Yes. Plenty of black people contribute to society here.
    Travellers do not. They are leeches, taking everything they can possibly get off the state without giving anything in return. Maybe they wouldn't be hated so much if they wern't consistently involved in fighting and a broad range of criminality.

Exactly, travellers or as the used to be traditionally reffered to as "Tinkers" had a place in irish society, they had a skillset of mending and fixing copper and other metals that was useful, however as that skillset fell into uselessness and less profit they didnt pick any other up and just decided ****ing about and existing was enough to have as a culture.
    Give me one positive positive example that current travellers contribute to modern irish society?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,235 ✭✭✭Dave147

I might be a kid but let me say this
    My dad or mom(depends who is going to open the door) When anyone comes knocking on the door we simply and my parents thought me that aswell just look out the window
    For exampe 1 week ago a man came knocking middle age around 40 not a traveller we could see he wanted to sell something as he had a van so we just did not bother opening the door
    Now say if we did open the door and they come asking for money we just simply as what they want and say ''Have you got any money''
    (If the people are those like who want to waste your time or by your looks of it are travellers,messers what ever you want to call them
    We just simply shut the door on their face straight away after they say Do you have money ?We simply say No and shut the door right across their face. That would ought to shut them up sure they would say a few bad words but what more can they do steal my house pull a gun I say they might aswel pull out a tommy 20 for all we care the time they would take to either ruin the car or break in the house would be enough time to call the police and to arrest them now if they come over night So what go and fight its your car you paid for it and if you die you would know you died trying
    (Now if they were not messer or by looks it travellers,knacker what ever you want to call them)

Now if it was serious people we would somethimes hand over a few coins or just explain lol we need some money our self :)!!! and justsay we cannot give any and shut the door even if they keep persuaing(I know it might seem rude but like what other option you got you know they never stop so...)
    I learned from my experience in this little life be scared from no one sure they might be bad and all the news killing and guns and stealing so let them do it and let them try see how well it goes

Best troll post I've read in a long time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ColeTrain

orestes wrote: »
    I agree that the average opinion here is about accurate for Irish society, but it's the way they are expressed that is the problem. That's what I meant about the difference between discussion and rabble. Pitchforks just go around in circles, discussion leads to progress.

Yes there will always be pitchforks out for them even if the majority were behaving properly.

I respect that they have traditions and are proud of them. I'm proud to be Irish and If I was move to America in the morning I would definitely try to hold onto my heritage and would never let my kids forget their roots. The difference would be I would appreciate the fact I was in a different society and would to try to integrate and adapt to my surroundings. Travellers don't do this in my experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,050 ✭✭✭token101

Did you know that at one point in history the Irish government actually classed travellers as "retarded" (as an official educational policy) complete with putting all traveller children, regardless of ability, into special classes? Or that they performed lice checks on those children in front of others?

The State also forced assimilation policies on the community-- a "be like us or f.uck off" sort of thinking that still prevails.

Even now you have people who are quick to call travellers stupid, lawless, savage, ignorant, thieves, etc. etc.

Why the f.uck, given all that and much, much more, would travellers want to integrate into a society that largely views them as scum?

Why are you quoting history? Lots of things happened 'in history' that weren't just, like the laundries, the place of the catholic church, school abuse, it's not just travellers who experienced a harsh time in history. The state tries to enforce the law upon these people, and that's universal. I can't just pitch a tent on some farmers land or some green area, so why are these people excepted from that? I don't care if fighting on some country road is 'culture' to them, if I can't do it neither they can they. If I were to go door to door and pop around the back of someone's house to stare in the windows to see what could be taken, I would be arrested too. What about this 'grabbing' stuff? Is that ok because it's 'culture' as well? Are you really trying to say that a vast proportion of travellers don't fit those 'stereotypes'? That many aren't lawless? That many aren't ignorant? That many aren't thieves? Aside from all the anecdotes that have been given, look at the statistics posted here earlier about battered women, prison populations. Is all of that based on stereotypes? Every bit of it? Every judge who imprisoned a traveller did so due to prejudice? It's ridiculous. Every traveller in Ireland is an Irish citizen, with the same legal rights as anyone else. They get the same rights and benefits as every other person in the state. And with rights come responsibilities and one of those responsibilities is to assimilate to a reasonable point. If they want to willingly live on the fringes, that's fine, but having halting sites as no-go areas for Gardai, having brawls on country roads, bringing up kids to act like animals and behaving like thugs at horse fairs is not assimilation.

If people want to eradicate prejudice in Ireland start with immigrants and refugees who are genuinely discriminated against by the narrow minded with little evidence; the real bigoted stuff against people who have tried to assimilate into society and do it perfectly well most of the time.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,558 ✭✭✭seven_eleven

nuxxx wrote: »
    No, I've just been using message boards/teh internetz for a long long time and it's a bit strange for someone like yourself to be a "new" user with so many posts while subscribing. Maybe you closed a previous account or you were previously banned. I don't know. Anyhow bailing out of this thread now.

If you have been using boards for a long time then you would know that people often reg and re-reg after closing their accounts for personal reasons. This happens to be my second account :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭zenno

A spaceman came traveling from the road to my house,
    and little did he know i was well above the bounce, and over the hill did this traveler appear and he rang my front door and i could hear.......the sound of cries.......

And just after that, he said do not fear, i come from a land that will make you believe, and over his shoulder he produced a roll of silk and the light of that silk in the sky...... just shined all night......

And just before dawn, while the haggle did still exist, i said will you kindly leave here and not resist but over the road a small bit from here, did i see the most amazing .......silk light shine in the sky......And it went na na na na na na na na na na

na na na na na na na wow wow na na na na na na na na na na peace and good-will to all mankind.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Defiler Of The Coffin

zenno wrote: »
    A spaceman came traveling from the road to my house,
    and little did he know i was well above the bounce, and over the hill did this traveler appear and he rang my front door and i could hear.......the sound of cries.......

And just after that, he said do not fear, i come from a land that will make you believe, and over his shoulder he produced a roll of silk and the light of that silk in the sky...... just shined all night......

And just before dawn, while the haggle did still exist, i said will you kindly leave here and not resist but over the road a small bit from here, did i see the most amazing .......silk light shine in the sky......And it went na na na na na na na na na na

na na na na na na na wow wow na na na na na na na na na na peace and good-will to all mankind.

Travellers in space - coming soon to TV3

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭Where To

I've had plenty of dealings with travellers who were a pleasure to do business with.

I've had plenty of dealings with settled people who were a nightmare.

In a thread a few days ago the OP asked what we Irish people invented. We invented stereotyping.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,050 ✭✭✭token101

Where To wrote: »
    I've had plenty of dealings with travellers who were a pleasure to do business with.

I've had plenty of dealings with settled people who were a nightmare.

In a thread a few days ago the OP asked what we Irish people invented. We invented stereotyping.

That's more anecdotal stuff though, plenty of people could give you alternate opinions. The statistics quoted earlier are based on facts, not stereotyping. There's obviously problems within travelling communities that are having a knock on effect in the rest of society. And we didn't invent stereotyping FFS, Irish people are as much victims as any other people, in the US, UK and now Australia, leave the self loathing out of it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭Da Shins Kelly

There's an awful amount of sh*te talk going on in this thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭barney 20v

I grew up in rural Co Wexford , in our primary school their were some kids from a travelling family.
    Everyone was told to treat them with respect and not pick on them,they were treated well and moved on in life.
    One of them,a boy called Thomas came to my attention in recent years after he was jailed for smuggling in class A drugs inside the bodies of living horses .
    He was importing them and butchering them to access the drugs, he's in Jail now....I wonder if the boys in mountjoy will respect him like we were made to?
    I firmly Believe that drugs and drug smuggling will ruin the social structures that the travelling community have used to evade capture and prosecution all these years.
    How long more until CAB etc will have to start tackling this issue head on?

the traveller community are no different to our so-called stable community (housed)

I have met some beautiful travellers and by jasus they really know how to have a good time and they have a lot more respect to others than you can possibly think of.

A girl I used to know from the travelling community in dublin was Philomena guitarist and singer now in canada and she was one sound girl and of course you will meet hardened travellers drunk that will start up a row but my experience with them was good and they are the real Irish, not because they know how to party but because they are sound when you get to know them and can handle a conversation till the end.

They are geniuses in the sales business i have to say. Sound all round but you will get a few nutcases but that goes with the Island.

the traveller community are no different to our so-called stable community (housed)

I have met some beautiful travellers and by jasus they really know how to have a good time and they have a lot more respect to others than you can possibly think of.

A girl I used to know from the travelling community in dublin was Philomena guitarist and singer now in canada and she was one sound girl and of course you will meet hardened travellers drunk that will start up a row but my experience with them was good and they are the real Irish, not because they know how to party but because they are sound when you get to know them and can handle a conversation till the end.

They are geniuses in the sales business i have to say. Sound all round but you will get a few nutcases but that goes with the Island.
    Its easy to sell on what you didn't pay for in the first place.

barney 20v wrote: »
    Its easy to sell on what you didn't pay for in the first place.

Explain ?.

Explain ?.
    No need to.

No need to.

There is a need to.

If you are making a comment then it is necessary to explain the detail in your said comment ?

Anyway, be well barney Slan.

There is a need to.

If you are making a comment then it is necessary to explain the detail in your said comment ?

Anyway, be well barney Slan.
    If you can show me where it says that on the site/forum charter then by all means.....

If you can show me where it says that on the site/forum charter then by all means.....

It is not on the forum charter, it is in respect to the questioner that's all. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭working fool

We are missing out on a Huge opportunity here .
    We should have the traveller community run FÁS !
    I've yet to meet or make eye contact with a traveller who hasent found something for me to do .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,381 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

I've had my fill of travellers having spent a full day in A&E and seen the disgraceful carryon and fights.

I had a similar experience where I burned my hand one night and went into Ballinasloe A&E, the place was full of travellers roaring and shouting and being abusive.

Noone is saying all travellers are like this but a majority of them are when you consider there is less than 80,000 of them in the country.
    People in counties like Galway which have a lot of them know what they are talking about and don't just make these stories up.

Sometimes I think the people who get all offended when people speak the truth are the ones that don't have many travellers living in their area.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,381 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Did you know that at one point in history the Irish government actually classed travellers as "retarded" (as an official educational policy) complete with putting all traveller children, regardless of ability, into special classes? Or that they performed lice checks on those children in front of others?

The State also forced assimilation policies on the community-- a "be like us or f.uck off" sort of thinking that still prevails.

Even now you have people who are quick to call travellers stupid, lawless, savage, ignorant, thieves, etc. etc.

Why the f.uck, given all that and much, much more, would travellers want to integrate into a society that largely views them as scum?

They seem happy enough to take all the State has to offer though.

• Registered Users Posts: 836 ✭✭✭uberalles

I was on a beach in Ireland when we had summers in the 90s. Two traveller Childer about seven years old were fighting over the emergency life buoys, one had both of them and the other had none to "play" with.

As there were two together one had been removed from a post a good distance up. Imagine if someone was drowning and needed it. Disgusting

Next the fat mother shouts over "Johnie" !
    I'm thinking great she will sort this out a correct the kids.
    She roars .... One each!
    Parenting at its finest.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,409 ✭✭✭Icyseanfitz

for such a small portion of our population they sure do cause a lot of ****, ive met plenty of nice black/chinese/indian/most other minorities living in this country but ive yet to meet a traveler who isnt a scummy ****, nearly every bit of trouble caused in my town is linked back to them, those stats thrown up a while back really do say a lot about them

• Registered Users Posts: 6,109 ✭✭✭Cavehill Red

I struggle to consider Travellers to be of a different culture. I see no evidence whatsoever of differentiated cultural achievements. What meagre culture they are engaged in is definitively Irish.
    Rather, I see them as a large, extended criminal gang. I make a point of having no dealings with them and as a result I have not been victimised by them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,766 ✭✭✭juan.kerr

Explain ?.

Perhaps he is implying that the items they are trying to sell were stolen?

It's not unheard of, or so I understand.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,448 ✭✭✭crockholm

For those who point towards endemic racism/bigotry towards travellers in Ireland,I would also like to point out that there are identical perceptions of them in both Sweden and The Netherlands,that of being violent and untrustworthy. In a nice,yet unfortunate reference,they are called "the irish builders"and yes that is a pejorative term,woe to many a legit Irish builder.
    If they do have a population of say 60,000,would that equate to a midlands county,complete with functioning society of farmers,shopkeepers,tradesmen,nurses,accountants,doctors,etc etc. I wonder how this fictional traveller utopia would pan out if they were given control to laois or offaly, not wishing for it to happen,but,rather to focus on their contribution to society.

I struggle to consider Travellers to be of a different culture. I see no evidence whatsoever of differentiated cultural achievements. What meagre culture they are engaged in is definitively Irish.
    Rather, I see them as a large, extended criminal gang. I make a point of having no dealings with them and as a result I have not been victimised by them.

Ah the usual...Paint them all with the same brush e.t.c...

I cannot understand why you would automatically assume that all travelers are the same, as that would be like saying all fish in the sea are the same when we all know perfectly well that this is not the case.

It seems to me that you maybe had a bad experience with a clan or person sometime back and if so that is unfortunate but like walking in dublin city at odd hours you will get more of a problem like many have as there are head-cases everywhere but i wouldn't just put it all on the travelers as i said previously...most of them are nice folk.

You just encountered a bad apple as most of us do now and again. crap happens it's called a lucky-bag when we are out and about no-one knows what we will bump into.

I'm not taking up for the travelers, i'm just explaining that they are mostly a decent folk in my experience anyway.

Happy new year anyway you crazy diamonds...whether you are permanently cemented in the ground or whether you are free to roam the Island as a traveler.

SLAN.

• Registered Users Posts: 763 ✭✭✭Lucy and Harry

Robbing houses more like.Those big fat gypsy wedding dresses do not come cheap you know

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭pabloh999

Ask any garda their honest opinion of travellers.
    Or any pub owner, restaurant owner, taxi driver.
    I would imagine there would be a similar trend.

They cause a lot of trouble for such a small population

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement