Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Had Travellers at my Door Tonight Looking for a Hand-Out

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,351 ✭✭✭NegativeCreep

Links234 wrote: »
    seriously guys... what the actual ****!?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wren_Day

it's celebrated in much of Ireland, it's kind of an old tradition, and folks would dress up and go around door to door like on halloween and sing a song in hope of a bit of coin.

but don't let that get in the way of traveller bashing! ;)

stay classy, AH

except they didn't sing a song. they just asked for money.

I've never had a positive experience with a member of the travelling community.

It's funny, go on about skangers as much as you want and it's fine but as soon as travellers are mentioned, suddenly we're all bigots.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ColeTrain

orestes wrote: »
    People who aren't travellers created them, for the same reason all sterotypes are invented, because they "aren't us". Stereotypes are for the most part mental frameworks that are constructed by individuals or groups in order to enable them to conceptualise groups on the basis of small numbers of interactions with members of a group (or they are just passed on within a group). Which pretty much means that they are for the most part bullshit.

Example:
    All travellers are dishonest.
    All garda are honest.
    Traveller who is a garda - cognitive dissonance.

So let's all bury our heads in the sand and ignore all of our collective experiences because you say it's bulls*it. Funny how I don't have a bad word to say about Asian people as a whole for example, even though their culture is different to ours.

Your stance may be politically correct but political correctness doesn't always equal the truth.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

Countries aren't the same as businesses. We have to manage the people that are here already, rather than deal with people on some kind of job interview "what can you offer us?" basis.

Are you a politician? This dancing around the answer is amazing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,970 ✭✭✭Lenin Skynard

Are you a politician? This dancing around the answer is amazing

Answer to what?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,072 ✭✭✭Max Power

Countries aren't the same as businesses. We have to manage the people that are here already, rather than deal with people on some kind of job interview "what can you offer us?" basis.
    Have you thought about running for election?

• Advertisement

Answer to what?
    Do you think Ireland is a better place for having travellers?

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

Answer to what?

The question you quoted
    Do you think Ireland is a better place for having travellers? If yes, why?

Do you think Ireland is a better place for having travellers?

It's an invalid question because travellers are here and they always will be.

Do you think Ireland is a better place for having disabled people?

Do you think Ireland is a better place for having gay people?

Do you think Ireland is a better place for having black people?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,808 ✭✭✭Stained Class

Padraig Nally is the only AH mod on duty tonite

TBH, I'm glad this thread has been allowed to run.

This is an issue that need to be discussed, not brushed under the carpet 'Irish style'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,327 ✭✭✭Merch

orestes wrote: »
    People who aren't travellers created them, for the same reason all sterotypes are invented, because they "aren't us". Stereotypes are for the most part mental frameworks that are constructed by individuals or groups in order to enable them to conceptualise groups on the basis of small numbers of interactions with members of a group (or they are just passed on within a group). Which pretty much means that they are for the most part bullshit.

A lot of people do work off preconceived ideas, but aren't these based on previous experiences or knowledge of previous experience.
    I dont really think its a matter of the small number of interactions people have with travellers but the percentage of the interactions that are bad.
    I've had an almost 100% bad experience with travellers in any experience I have encountered, Ive already mentioned, assault and a few others
    I've had bad experiences with people that are clearly not travellers too, but the percentages are much less so I am much less wary of non travellers.
    I dont think its bull**** myself, people know what a lot of them are like and are less willing to put up with it, they are handed assistance but take very little if any responsibilities and at the same time many are involved in off the book work at the same time as claiming social, medical and housing assistance, when others that contribute can claim little or nothing.

The travellers near me, get
    accomodation, no such assistance available to me or mine
    medical, not available to me
    social welfare, not available to me and yet they maintain a self employed status, the reason I couldnt get Social Welfare.
    They have had the gardai at their door and I know why, its to do with a less than sociable activity.
    my view is coloured, because I see the truth.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,785 ✭✭✭Ihatecuddles-old

Unfortunately I've had some pretty bad experiences with them. From windows being put through, houses being robbed, graffiti on the side of the house and much much worse.

It's natural that our own experiences will make us more wary of certain people.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭goz83

Does anyone know a traveller, who isn't on the dole?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 555 ✭✭✭Hippies!

None of that is relevant to the thread though is it.

Deflect

Deflect

Deflect

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

Travellers have made a lot of people's lives a misery. That is not bigotry that is fact. Yeah so have a lot of the settled community too but it seems to be in areas where there is a sizeable population of travellers like where I am they seem to be a constant source of the trouble. I work with a traveller and even she has said she has as little to do with them as possible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,541 ✭✭✭Smidge

Answer to what?

You didn't answer my question either(post no 95)!!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭goz83

All the above make contributions in most cases to society

Yes, yes and yes.

Now, do you think Ireland is a better place for having travellers?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

A great bunch of lads*

* = the opposite of reality

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,327 ✭✭✭Merch

There are many other groups that dont seem to contribute much if anything and some that just take,
    for example, I know of a few addicts, the country would be at no loss for their passing.

Im curious, what do they (travellers) contribute, now in the present, to society??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 794 ✭✭✭Lima Golf

Travellers are leeches on society. They amount of time, money and resources wasted on them in the form of social welfare, ambulances, hospital stays, Garda time, courts services, free legal aid, prisons overcrowded etc etc. the list is endless. All the while they contribute nothing to society. But sure isn't that part of their culture...

You can say Im stereotyping and being narrow minded but talking from experience, I have met a fair few in my time and I have yet to meet a decent one...

Yes, yes and yes.

Now, do you think Ireland is a better place for having travellers?

Travellers have made great contributions to traditional music. Travellers have made great contributions to sports, some have brought home medals for Ireland in the Olympics. I certainly do think travellers make a valuable contribution to Irish society.

But again, your question is invalid because these people are citizens of the state and they're always going to be here. Whether or not you think they bring a lot or a little makes very little difference.

Lenin Skynard's silence is almost deafening.

Padraig must have banned him.

Edit. Guess not, he never looked like a guy who would make a good mod tbf

I certainly do think travellers make a valuable contribution to Irish society.

Looked at reg date and stopped reading there

Travellers have made great contributions to traditional music. Travellers have made great contributions to sports, some have brought home medals for Ireland in the Olympics. I certainly do think travellers make a valuable contribution to Irish society.

But again, your question is invalid because these people are citizens of the state and they're always going to be here. Whether or not you think they bring a lot or a little makes very little difference.
    Don't forget your man that was on Big Brother. :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,972 ✭✭✭orestes

Hippies! wrote: »
    I'm sorry but what you typed there is a load of nonsense. I like facts.

So do I. This thread is pretty much just an excuse for traveller bashing.
    Because in most people curiosity would lead you to looking for more information about why a group of people would be going around a housing estate asking for money on a friday evening clearly organised with transport. Could be a multitude of reasons but with some cultures more known for it then others its natural to want to narrow it down.

I honestly don't see what difference it makes other than to pigeonhole the people in question.
    ColeTrain wrote: »
    So let's all bury our heads in the sand and ignore all of our collective experiences because you say it's bulls*it. Funny how I don't have a bad word to say about Asian people as a whole for example, even though their culture is different to ours.

Your stance may be politically correct but political correctness doesn't always equal the truth.

I haven't at any point in this thread given my personal opinion on travellers, I have just said that the way the thread was posted was going to lead to sterotypical vitriol rather than discussion.
    Merch wrote: »
    A lot of people do work off preconceived ideas, but aren't these based on previous experiences or knowledge of previous experience.
    I dont really think its a matter of the small number of interactions people have with travellers but the percentage of the interactions that are bad.
    I've had an almost 100% bad experience with travellers in any experience I have encountered, Ive already mentioned, assault and a few others
    I've had bad experiences with people that are clearly not travellers too, but the percentages are much less so I am much less wary of non travellers.
    I dont think its bull**** myself, people know what a lot of them are like and are less willing to put up with it, they are handed assistance but take very little if any responsibilities and at the same time many are involved in off the book work at the same time as claiming social, medical and housing assistance, when others that contribute can claim little or nothing.

The travellers near me, get
    accomodation, no such assistance available to me or mine
    medical, not available to me
    social welfare, not available to me and yet they maintain a self employed status, the reason I couldnt get Social Welfare.
    They have had the gardai at their door and I know why, its to do with a less than sociable activity.
    my view is coloured, because I see the truth.

This would not have even come into the discussion if it weren't stated at the beginning of the thread that the people who were begging were travellers.

The point I am trying to make is that this thread was only going to lead to traveller bashing because of the way it was posted. It was only going to lead to pitchforks. This is a discussion site, but there is nothing here that is in any way meant for discussion, it's just an incitement to rabble.

Don't forget your man that was on Big Brother. :rolleyes:

Haven't seen it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,873 ✭✭✭Skid

mikemac1 wrote: »
    49% of admissions to women’s refuges are Travellers (according to the 2002 census Travellers account for just 0.6% of the entire population)

http://www.amen.ie/Papers/15270.htm

That is shocking. Everyone can pretend that Travellers are a wonderful asset to society as much as they like, but that statistic alone speaks volumes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,351 ✭✭✭NegativeCreep

nuxxx wrote: »
    Looked at reg date and stopped reading there

I don't agree with the chap but that's a ridiculous thing to say!

• Advertisement

I don't agree with the chap but that's a ridiculous thing to say!

Why so? Most of these reregs are just trolls who've been previously banned from boards

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement